Purses May 28, 2022 02:46AM
Flipping thru old puller mags from the 70s 50% of the advertised pulls that would have bought add spots have some kind of payout structure in the add,like top 3 or 5 get this dollar amount.whens the last time a pull ever advertised the payout ?,and why havent they for years ?.

Re: Purses May 28, 2022 02:54AM
If you have an event let's say with NTPA, it's the same payout for every event. All you need to do to know what the payout is would be to purchase the rule book. Unless an event decides to add to the purse I don't think there is a reason to post what the purse is as it's already been posted.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 11:07AM
It's a hobby OG are you being serious? How can you call anything a hobby that cost over 100000 for the lower regional classes. (ProFarm,85lps,lite pros,4.1s and llss's) no lobby there buddy no to mention you about that in your hauler. Stick to the bleachers and quit insulting the pullers.

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 11:50AM
100% hobby, nobody made you spend the money.

The event is scheduled, for the grandstands, not the pullers.

Sponsorship fees are paid, to put products and services, in front as many eyes as possible.( the grandstands)

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 01:12PM
Straighten Up
It's a hobby OG are you being serious? How can you call anything a hobby that cost over 100000 for the lower regional classes. (ProFarm,85lps,lite pros,4.1s and llss's) no lobby there buddy no to mention you about that in your hauler. Stick to the bleachers and quit insulting the pullers.

Some people have wakeboard boats that cost $315,000 just to wakeboard around a lake with their kids and friends. Price has nothing to do with whether something is a hobby or not. Yes tractor pulling is a hobby. I'm sorry if you don't like the word hobby, but that is exactly what tractor pulling is for 99% of pullers.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 02:42PM
I follow late models a lot too,the races always advertise the winners amount at all the touring series races.why not with pulling ??

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 03:56PM
Straighten Up,
Take a trip to Lake Cumberland in southern KY, you can spend a whole day looking at houseboats that cost $400K +/- with $140K +/- ski/wakeboard boats tied to the back of them. These people will spend $500 +/- on gas at the lake on any given weekend and that's just for the boats not to mention the gas to get to the lake. They do this with NO chance of bringing in a dime. At least in the pulling world we have a chance to get some fuel money. The cost of the toys doesn't determine whether it's a hobby or not. For those boaters it's purely a hobby...a very expensive hobby. The people at the lake used to ask us how we could afford to pull...My answer was; at the lake I know it's going to cost me a lot of money when I leave the house and at least with pulling I have a chance to get fuel money.

S'no Farmer

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 05:55PM
When it cost 20-25 bucks to watch a sport in my opinion it's not a hobby sport it's a spectator sport. Riding a boat around is a hobby but tractor pulling is a spectator sport as it's been on National tv for years. Make your points to argue the facts and that's my opinion backed by facts. John Force isn't drag racing as a hobby

Re: Purses May 30, 2022 01:19AM
Drag racing is John Force's job, that how he and his family make a living. No one in pulling that is going down the track is making their living in pulling. Pulling is a hobby, granted a very expensive one, yet still a hobby. It doesn't matter if I have to pay for a ticket or not, there is no puller that makes his living on the track.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Purses May 31, 2022 12:43PM
I promise you 60% of pullers this isn't a hobby it's a way of life but you've traveled all over the Midwest and working all week repairing parts to just do it again next weekend. You going to pulls and following this page is a hobby. I'll agree to disagree. You speaking about pullers without ever doing it. Have a great summer.

Re: Purses June 01, 2022 02:01AM
Straighten Up
I promise you 60% of pullers this isn't a hobby it's a way of life but you've traveled all over the Midwest and working all week repairing parts to just do it again next weekend. You going to pulls and following this page is a hobby. I'll agree to disagree. You speaking about pullers without ever doing it. Have a great summer.

Perhaps one way to look at it is to say it’s a hobby if it isn’t your primary source of income or what makes up a majority of your income. To me, the amount of time you spend on something doesn’t determine whether or not it is a hobby—it’s how much income you generate. Being owners of trucking companies and large-scale farming operations, etc. allow for the time to dedicate to the hobby.

And I’ve never directed a movie, but that doesn’t disallow me from having an opinion on them

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 04:09AM
I wouldn't advertise what purses are today either. Adjusted for inflation those purses of the '70/'80's are 3x what they payout today. It's a hobby not a professional sport.

Re: Purses May 29, 2022 05:49AM
I Disagree with the statement that it shouldn't be advertised. U always can bait a fish . We put 1 big pull on a year at my fairgrounds and its not affiliated with any sanctioning body. And the only way to get them there is the pay out. Might not get the top 2 contenders but 3-10 will show up to get some money. This is my opinion i dont mean in any way to start a argument i just see it from my side of the fence trying to put on a good brush pull for are fair. I know this is a hobby but everyone acts like this is there only means of income and we inconvenience them with a low pay out. Its a struggle from both sides lol

Re: Purses May 31, 2022 07:22AM
I think there is a way to run these operations as a business and make money or at least break even, especially if you run them as a single member LLC and use any losses to offset personal income tax. This is a little dated and the cost of fuel has gone up but here's an example of how you "could" make it work.

Here's some quick math on what mid-pack (or top 5) finishes will get you when you pre-commit. For estimation purposes let's assume 19 events and 30 hooks. This is a typical year on the NTPA/PPL combined circuit.

Show-up Money: $300/event x 19 events= $5,700
Mid-Pack Finish: $575/hook x 30 hooks=$17,250
Year end points fund (Mid-pack): $6,750
Misc Bonus: $1000
Total payout: ~$31,000

Expenses (Real numbers from 2019 season):
Fuel-$4800 (including comp fuel) and 7MPG on hauler
Entry Fees: $0-Included in pre-commit
Membership Fees: $2000
Routine Maintenance (Oil changes, tire sharpening, ether, Water Injection, supplies...etc)-$100/hook=$3000
Food/Bev (at most because most places feed you a few times and hot dogs are cheap): $100/event= $1900
Insurance for the year= $2500
Misc: $800

Net Profit: $16,000

I realize the truck and hauler aren't in this but this is after you pay and depreciate the costs as I noted above and can offset taxable income. Same thing with tools or ice machines if you choose to assign them to the business and write them off as expenses. So, instead of paying the federal government the taxes you use that "extra" money to pay for the equipment.

Yes, if you have a major rebuild or blow a charger (or three) you're going to eat a lot of your profit. If you sign up for contingencies you get discounts on those services too. The point is once you get established and depreciate your capitol costs you can show a profit. It's non-existent in the first 6-7 years but slowly builds after that. Throw in some sponsorships and sell some old parts wen you need to upgrade and you can reduce those costs even more.

We are in year 5 of the official business and the first full year we lost over $200k. Last year we lost about $5300 including depreciation of the hauler and competition vehicle however, we sold some capital equipment and right sized the hauler with proceeds from the sale, and this year we expect to make a small profit.

Re: Purses June 01, 2022 12:29PM
lol this guy. Who are trying to fool? yourself?

Re: Purses June 01, 2022 01:43PM
You're free to research his start/finish record if you like.

CP

Re: Purses June 01, 2022 03:32PM
TripleAlphaProcess is no dummy, and he is not the only puller that runs the pulling circuit as an official business.

Re: Purses June 03, 2022 03:24AM
This is all fine..... until the IRS auditor shows up.

Re: Purses June 06, 2022 08:38AM
Puller
This is all fine..... until the IRS auditor shows up.

If you run it like a legitimate business then there is no issue. What would the issue be with the IRS?

Re: Purses June 06, 2022 01:04PM
If you have to ask that question you are not running a business. You can only lose money so many years before irs starts looking and truck and tractor pulling as a competitor will and I repeat will never turn a profit no matter how you want to spin it in your head. Only ones making money are sleds some promoters and parts, engine and chassis builders

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason