NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 02:24AM
I'm not sure if this is something that would be covered in the rule book, but does NTPA have any written protocol regarding which promoter gets priority for a scheduling date in the event two or more want an event (or same classes) on the same weekend?

Thanks

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 02:29AM
Usually, it's the event that's been longest standing on that date gets first choice.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 02:50AM
Also depends on what level the events are at, State, Regional or GN.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 04:04AM
The NTPA will throw you under the bus even if you are a long standing pull to get a SN pull. That's just how they do things.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 04:43AM
So, is there a written protocol, or an unwritten nebula of whatever the CEO feels in the moment?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 04:43AM by The Original Michael.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 09, 2022 03:08PM
I was told that last year there was a local sponsor that wanted to add to the purse at Salem but was told by NTPA that it wasn’t necessary to give the pullers more money….WTF

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 06:10AM
Brown County Fair in Mount Sterling and Salem, IL fair got dropped by NTPA because of the Rockwell pull. They’ve both been GN hooks for many many years

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 07:11AM
They dumped Langford and then sold them a crappy regional show with 3 classes and 14 hooks.

Re: Langford August 08, 2022 07:45AM
Ben there
They dumped Langford and then sold them a crappy regional show with 3 classes and 14 hooks.

Thank you.
This is what I was thinking of with the original question. The Langford pull has been going on since 1948. It is possibly the longest-running pull in the U.S. in an area that NTPA could really stand to regrow it's footprint. If NTPA were going to have a flagship event in the northeast, this is where it could happen.

While Rockwell has been an NTPA pull since 2008/09, until this year it always ran the weekend after July 4. In contrast, Langford has had the first weekend of August date since they started sanctioning with NTPA in 2017. Rockwell has had a longer relationship with NTPA, but Langford had a relationship on that weekend.

I understand Rockwell has grown into a larger event, but there was no way NTPA could have worked to accommodate Langford beside running minis (not ran in NY beyond maybe limited minis), Light Pros (not ran in NY) and mods (of which only 1 NY tractor bothered to show up)? It seems Full Pull Productions stepped in and sanctioned the majority of the event. (Side note- where were the rest of the ESP mods? The RN mod class is what they are).

It would be in the best interests of NTPA find a way to keep Langford as a GN hook, if they looked at the big picture. I notice Mt. Sterling went with PPL this year. I would not be shocked if Langford did as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 07:49AM by The Original Michael.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 07:35AM
jmiller
Brown County Fair in Mount Sterling and Salem, IL fair got dropped by NTPA because of the Rockwell pull. They’ve both been GN hooks for many many years

Nothing against those pulls but I do think it was the right decision for NTPA. As a puller I can tell you that Mt. Sterling and Salem were not great hooks for what it took to get there. Rockwell is a much better venue, show, and track, in my opinion.

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller August 08, 2022 02:35PM
ACTUALLY, either Salem, or Mt. Sterling had dumped NTPA and signed with PPL before NTPA had made the decision to ask them to "work with them" on the date.
Also, Rockwell changed to the August date when the communist state of Illinois had the state shut down because of the China Plandemic.
So, one could look at it as rewarding an event for happening when no other events could, or would.

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller August 08, 2022 02:47PM
HP
ACTUALLY, either Salem, or Mt. Sterling had dumped NTPA and signed with PPL before NTPA had made the decision to ask them to "work with them" on the date.
Also, Rockwell changed to the August date when the communist state of Illinois had the state shut down because of the China Plandemic.
So, one could look at it as rewarding an event for happening when no other events could, or would.

Not sure of the timing of when Mt. Sterling and Salem signed their PPL contracts, but this was the first year Rockwell had an August date, and both Mt. Sterling and Salem ran the same date they always have. Bottom line- NTPA had GN pulls in Illinois and New York on the same August weekend. Now they lost the Illinois pulls and the New York pull has been potentially p!$$ed away.

One unknown factor is budget. I believe last year Langford had to pare things back due to budget. Rockwell can afford a Super National pull, but imo Langford is a gem that NTPA should work very hard to keep if at all possible. It's also in an area where there are pullers and where it would be wise to regain a foothold.

In the big picture, the NATIONAL Tractor Pullers Association should strive to have a NATIONAL schedule for their top series. Dodge City, KS to New York would help solidify that. This isn't to knock Rockwell. It's impressive what they've done and I hope they continue to build their event. It's just that it seems NTPA is mainly Ohio with a bit of Tri-State Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa whereas PPL has an overall broader footprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 02:52PM by The Original Michael.

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller, to; the original August 09, 2022 12:41AM
You are 100% INCORRECT.
This was in FACT not the first year for Rockwell to have an August date.
I work the event, and I was there working during covid,,,
Same weekend it was this year.
Please try to keep up.

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller, to; the original August 09, 2022 06:23AM
HP
You are 100% INCORRECT.
This was in FACT not the first year for Rockwell to have an August date.
I work the event, and I was there working during covid,,,
Same weekend it was this year.
Please try to keep up.

This is true but wasn't the original date in July and they moved it to August in 2020 because of COVID and then back to July last year (2021)? This was the first year is was scheduled originally to be in August isn't it?

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller, to; the original August 09, 2022 07:43AM
Yes you are correct. I went back and looked on NTPA’s website and Rockwell was July 8-10 in 2021. Now that being said, my previous statement came from someone closer to the fair board. Whether that’s the whole story or not I cannot say. Being mt.Sterling only 30 minutes away, I just heard that. Now, mount Sterling nor Salem is a great venue for haulers to get in and out of, track conditions aren’t always best, I still appreciate them putting on a grand national event for so many years. Whatever the case may be that happened with these two pulls and the NTPA, I will have to say hats off to the PPL crew on the show they put on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2022 07:46AM by jmiller.

Re: NTPA guideline question, to; jmiller August 09, 2022 04:22AM
The Original Michael
In the big picture, the NATIONAL Tractor Pullers Association should strive to have a NATIONAL schedule for their top series. Dodge City, KS to New York would help solidify that. This isn't to knock Rockwell. It's impressive what they've done and I hope they continue to build their event. It's just that it seems NTPA is mainly Ohio with a bit of Tri-State Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa whereas PPL has an overall broader footprint.

At this point, the National part of the name is just to make it sound more prestigious than it really is—much like Major League Baseball calling the championship game the World Series, when it is only comprised of teams from North America and the only representation outside of the United States is Toronto.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 09:54AM
Dumped Langford ? That’s a joke
How about Langford dumped ntpa last year and when they did was way before ny opened the state back up which made them the new kid on the block when it came time for class picking
Langford has made bad decisions regarding their show for a few years now

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 09:58AM
They may have had a pull since 1948 but it wasn’t a ntpa sanctioned pull all those years
EMPIRE STATE PULLERS made that pull and we’re dumped like an old hat

Langford August 09, 2022 04:20AM
Alkyfan. Even though you bad mouth Langford without the guts to post your name, it’s pretty easy to figure out which squeaky wheel you are. 2021 was hell as a promoter in NY because up until June the state was not allowing large scale events. We made due and Richard Love and FPP worked with us. FPP works great giving promotors what they want and will accommodate and work nicely with any other organization to put on a great show. ESP as of late, has been a very unprofessional and mis managed organization, threatening pullers who wanted to come out and support the biggest pull in the state, but that is a topic for another day( Thank you to Hans Boxler, Matt Conrad, Chico Petrie, and George Coryn).

As a promotor, we build our event based on filling hours of entertainment, variety, and being the only show of its kind in NY. There is not one single organization or sanctioning body that can provide that and we have tried every combination over the years to give our community the best show we can. It’s business. If we give an organization or a class a chance ( usually 2 hooks in a day) and the number of machines that come to support it isn’t enough we will find something else that will. Before NTPA GN got involved ESP did have a spot in our show, the numbers began to drop so we co sanctioned it with NYTPA, because we needed more hours of entertainment. Then we felt that there were many tractors that decided they didn’t want to travel and we brought in WNYPPS to supplement our show and we struggled with ESP/NYTPA willing to work with the promotor to give the show that we wanted. We went to ESP again this year to negotiate and the “leadership” refused to work with us. Langford wanted to bring PPL champions tour but the leaders there didn’t want to entertain it for several reasons. That’s when NTPA got the call.

NTPA has been great to work with, but also understand the scheduling conflicts they have to balance. When you have a pull like Langford that is ALWAYS the weekend of the first Sunday in August, and every fair and event working off a different rotation it’s going to cause conflicts. Class availability was always dependent on what for example Fort Recovery and Brandenburg's schedule looked like. Now with Rockwell moving their dates drastically, and then deciding to take on everything( which they probably had to since NTPA was pinching out the other pulls), is not a decision I would want to have to make. We will continue to figure out what can be provided, but more importantly **what classes will be fully supported by its members** when contracts are negotiated.

Regardless, Langford Volunteer Fire Company wants to thank everyone that supported another successful fundraiser for our community. The committee in Langford works hard to give the best value of entertainment and the best experience for fans and pullers. We were extremely happy to see so many new faces/ new tractors come out and support our efforts. We encourage everyone to support their communities and non-profit organization’s efforts when hosting their events because behind the scenes it takes tons of effort to promote events regardless of what level of pulling it is. The work for next year has already started. See everyone on August 5/6, 2023 for the 77th year of pulling in Langford, USA.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 01:27PM
How about no. But seeing as they are a volunteer organization that raises money for the FD, please lend your expertise to them for 2023.

CP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 03:50PM by cpr.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 08, 2022 11:21PM
If you have been to the Langford pull before, you would understand why some are disappointed it wasn't able to be all it can be.

It's an awesome venue with one of the best chicken dinners you can buy, and the beer is priced right!

One of the few places left where you could watch pulling at several different levels (local through to national) over the course of 8-12 hours. Open pits, great group of volunteers. Everyone was courteous and helpful. Sunday of the 2019 event was an awesome show and I was damn glad we went.

Re: NTPA guideline question August 09, 2022 03:19PM
JSchmitz,
Team Feiss was glad to have the the opportunity to hook at the famous Langford pull. The stifling heat aside we had a great time. Great track, great crowd, great chicken. We are glad we took the opportunity to make the trip. It is unfortunate that the numbers were down but it has been a difficult year with fuel cost as well parts being an issue for some (We are still waiting on rods that have been ordered for months). We may not be invited back but we're glad we had the chance this year.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,645, Posts: 229,712, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520