Pulloffs August 20, 2022 02:42AM
For all the people on here that say "fans don't like pulloffs", "fans won't stay around for pulloffs", would you explain how virtually NO ONE left for the Pro Stock pulloff last night at BG? They were the only class left running as well! Those 4 put on a show by themselves and the crowd loved it! Kudos to the teams that pulled off! Also will add, I was sitting right behind one of the biggest opponents of pulloffs and his whole crew last night and HE and THEY were all into it! Was a nice end to the show!

Re: Pulloffs August 20, 2022 04:09AM
I agree that was an awesome pulloff. I however think the language in the interview by the simon crew is totally uncalled for. We watch this as a family and i get it they won but they can tone down the bad language. Shows the maturity level of a young boy not a man .

Simons interview…. August 20, 2022 04:35AM
I think we need more interviews like that. Hats off to Simons on another big win!!

Re: Simons interview…. August 20, 2022 04:23PM
There’s no place for that Cussing . just proves money can’t buy you maturity.

Re: Simons interview…. August 20, 2022 06:12PM
ProStock Fan
I think we need more interviews like that. Hats off to Simons on another big win!!

I did not hear Simon’s interview, but I stuck around tonight to hear Gentry’s interview. Holy cow. The best interview I have ever heard and incredibly humble — what a class act

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Pulloffs August 20, 2022 07:49PM
Anyone have both,I missed them ??

Re: Pulloffs August 21, 2022 12:02AM
I have to agree with John, the Patrick Gentry interview was one the very best I have ever heard. A very humble, thankful Man.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Pulloffs August 21, 2022 06:47AM
x3 on the gentry interview. pull off Friday absolutely rediculous we already pulled and had a winner why do it again? 39tractors ran hard their first pull git er dun Deere straight up whooped em making the best pass of the weekend. why cancel that out and run em again. this isn't the early times of pulling where there was huge disparity of the vehicles in one class

Re: Pulloffs August 21, 2022 10:40AM
I loved the pulloff... especially in a big class where the track changes during the night (especially when it starts in the daylight and ends when the sun goes down... those tracks really change). I'd take the pulloff EVERY single time vs. the class on Saturday night with a floating finishline. Every body is entitled to their opinion but no pulloff is like no playoff in other sports. Why not just crown the regular season champ the champ? Just give the Lombardi trophy or the Stanley Cup to the team with the best regular season record...or watch the best of the best fight it out... yeah, I'll watch the best of the best fight it out again EVERY time. Pulloffs=Playoffs but on a event basis.

As for the Simon interiew: I didn't hear all of it so I can't comment directly but: http://www.pulloff.com/phorum/read.php?2,319639,319740#msg-319740

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Pulloffs August 21, 2022 11:56AM
Jake Morgan
I'd take the pulloff EVERY single time vs. the class on Saturday night with a floating finishline. Every body is entitled to their opinion but no pulloff is like no playoff in other sports. Why not just crown the regular season champ the champ? Just give the Lombardi trophy or the Stanley Cup to the team with the best regular season record...or watch the best of the best fight it out... yeah, I'll watch the best of the best fight it out again EVERY time. Pulloffs=Playoffs but on a event basis.
Just give the "trophy" to the team with the best record? Doesn't pulling already do that with their season points race? For my opinion, I'll take the floating finish every time because when many of these tracks go out to 500', why flag them down to stop at 300'? I was at a pull last night where I sat at the 300' mark and watched someone fly past us at 30 mph on his way to a 450' pull. The crowd went nuts. The show still lasted five hours. Nobody complained.

Re: Pulloffs August 21, 2022 05:25PM
There aren't many pullers that want to go 350'-400' for a lot of reasons, particularly in the Unlimited class! Fuel, tires, gearing are only 3 of the many reasons. If you ask them they will tell you.

Re: Pulloffs August 22, 2022 01:42AM
When the class over 320 its a joke - sled setting are getting bad and the promoters listen to to many crybabies my 2 cents

Re: Pulloffs August 22, 2022 01:52AM
Longer the track, the more room for seating, and the more rooom for sponsor signage.

Its all about, the CASH

Re: Pulloffs August 22, 2022 04:24AM
I don't know how any fan could be upset with the Friday pulloff. That was way more exciting than the Saturday night pro stock class. Loved to see Patrick Gentry win so not taking away from that. But the excitement of the pulloff Friday was exactly what this sport is all about!

To address the comment about 39 pullers all giving it there all. Thanks to all 39 for showing up and giving it there all. However, myself and many others were glad to see 4 tractors come back and duke it out for the win!

Re: Pulloffs August 22, 2022 11:26AM
How much cash could be saved for the pullers if a set distance for all pulls were made dont matter if its 300 or 400 ft a distance needs to be made it takes extra gearing and lots of things to run short tracks one week and long the next ,Drag racing has a set 1/8 or 1/4

Re: Pulloffs August 22, 2022 12:42PM
I know what you mean, but drag racing is the ONLY motorsport in the world where that is the case. I think track variability can help. A guy who has a good shorter track program (or a sandy track, or a hard track, or...) can benefit over the course of a points chase by playing to their strengths and laying a hit down. Same as any other form of racing except one. Even if we did go back to 300' only, the variability of dirt and its prep plays in. I wasn't a fan of it in the past, but I have bought in to the long runs and the crowd reactions tell me give them what they want.

CP

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 01:51AM
Crowd reaction says fans like pulloffs, so give them what they want! Can also tell you after being in the crowd at Chapel Hill, Ft Recovery, Wellington, Rockwell, and BG, fans want pulloffs. I've been asked at each place by local fans "why is there no pulloff"? The pulloffs at BG in Mod and Prostock were awesome. Floating finish lines produce "blah" endings unless the last hook happens to win. Otherwise it's a drag! Example, twd Sat at BG. 1st truck makes good run, no one comes close, so boring I left for the pits with 25 trucks left and told Jamie he had it wrapped up, and he did. Good for him, but not exciting at all!

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 03:04AM
You must have different fans than the ones I visit with..There havent been any pulloffs in my area in nearly 30 years..I don't even hear the fans talk about pulloffs as lots don't even remember them..They do talk about the fast 330-350 ft pulls and love them..The longer someone pulls the noisier the crowd gets..They sure don't like pulls under 300 ft unless its a short track..After 3 hours some of the crowd starts leaving and after 4 hours half the crowd is gone..Pulloffs would empty the place out even faster..I can remember years ago pulling in front of an empty grandstand because the pulloffs went on forever and everyone left..

I and my fellow pullers don't want pulloffs and seldom ever even talk about them..Pulloffs came to an end here about 30 years ago because the pullers wouldn't come back for them..If there were three full pulls in a class they would just say they were broke or too hot to repull and they split the money. Today I'd say that the average floating finish winning distance in my area is about 320 ft which is fine with all of us....Most of our tracks are prepped for 350 ft plus with several at 400 ft or more..

I could see that at a huge pull like BG-etc with die hard fans,that a 3-4 way pulloff in a large class would be OK..I guess most of the Unlimited Mod pullers are well off and can afford a second pass at the cost of $5,000...For lots of us that's almost an entire seasons budget.

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 04:06AM
Bring back the pulloffs!! Took some fans for a first time to Wisner. They asked right away, isn't there a finish line? Told them how it used to be 300' and now it is as far as they can go. They said they would like it better to bring back the pullout. They also said the distances pulled need to be posted more often during a class pulling so they can keep it in perspective. Also put a picture of the tractor next to the distance as they couldn't remember the name of each tractor.
Hate to beat a dead horse but one of these times, a tractor is gonna come unhooked from the sled towards the end of the track and hurt spectators and possibly the tractor and driver. These faster speeds are going to really cause some big problems.

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 04:24AM
A few ideas I was kicking around after the Saturday night session at Bowling Green concluded:

* Two farthest competitors come back for a pulloff for smaller classes.
* Five farthest competitors come back for larger classes
OR
* Ten percent of the class comes back if over 19 entries (e.g., 50 in a class, 5 come back; 20 in a class, 2 come back)

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 04:49AM
Who won the ring in pro stock

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 04:53AM
Extra Butter

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 05:20AM
As a mod competitor in the region class I lean towards a floating finish as long as it is reasonable. We hook many many times during a summer on back to back nights if not three in a row mostly in the middle of the week. As an example two weeks ago we had 5 hooks in 7 days not to mention driving from Indian to Michigan to NY then back to Michigan. This schedule doesn't leave much time for maintenance on two mods and trust me when I say they need maintenance.

Do I like pulloffs??? Yes as a matter of fact I do and will participate in them 99% of the time. Do my tractors like pulloffs??? Not so much. I will say that a pulloff gives a chance to back up your first pass and can separate the prepared from the unprepared but to do it at every event is asking a lot of pullers that are already losing our butts in the hobby.

About 15 years ago we were pulling at about 45 events a year and went down the track about 70 time a year due to pulloffs. At the year end meetings my commitments were that I felt like I was being punished for being good at this sport because of the cost of those extra 20 or so passes down the track. I didn't get any more prize money than if they had a floating finish, that floating finish would saved me a lot back in those days both in money and wear and tear on my equipment.

Another aspect of this particularly on the RN is attrition from broken parts, broken tractors rob fans and promoters of the numbers they are hoping for at their event.

S'no Farmer

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 05:01AM
coming from a pullers perspective, parts are expensive/hard to get, doing all of the work ourselves on our vehicles it takes time away from other things that might need to tended too. im all about the fans experience but not at the expense or cost of the pullers the actual guys putting on the shows and trying to entertain you. no pull offs please. parts are hot, vehicle doesn't run as good increased chance of breakage. even i am first puller of the class i will jus accept my hook do my best with the draw postion i get and drive it back into the trailer in one piece. seems some of the fans want blood(pulling vehilces breaking) and really dont think about the perspective the of the puller. classes are competitive everyone is making more power and pushing machines to the limit. keeping your class alive thru a long season by trying to limit breakage if you can control the factors of it having a pull off is one of the factors that can be controlled. i want promoters of pulls to have the numbers they expected/wanted for there pull by hopefully having everyone there. its no fun to be waiting for your event you want to go to all year long to not have your favorite tractors there because of breakage.

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 07:13AM
no thanks
coming from a pullers perspective, parts are expensive/hard to get, doing all of the work ourselves on our vehicles it takes time away from other things that might need to tended too. im all about the fans experience but not at the expense or cost of the pullers the actual guys putting on the shows and trying to entertain you. no pull offs please. parts are hot, vehicle doesn't run as good increased chance of breakage. even i am first puller of the class i will jus accept my hook do my best with the draw postion i get and drive it back into the trailer in one piece. seems some of the fans want blood(pulling vehilces breaking) and really dont think about the perspective the of the puller. classes are competitive everyone is making more power and pushing machines to the limit. keeping your class alive thru a long season by trying to limit breakage if you can control the factors of it having a pull off is one of the factors that can be controlled. i want promoters of pulls to have the numbers they expected/wanted for there pull by hopefully having everyone there. its no fun to be waiting for your event you want to go to all year long to not have your favorite tractors there because of breakage.

Well said..It doesn't cause the fans one extra penny to see a pulloff..The pullers are paying for all of it with extra fuel, extra oil changes, broken parts, more wear and tear on high dollar engines and tires,etc..They get no extra prize money for putting on a show....Not all pullers even at a national level are filthy rich..I will have 17 hooks total this year and my goal is to make 17 passes..So far the plan is working..If I'm test hook I just keep it unless its horrible...Several state level pullers that I pull with are probably out for the year with major damage and no parts to quickly be found...One new high dollar engine lasted 7-8 hooks....4-5 more have had damage and missed a bunch of hooks..More will break before the season is over.

Re: Pulloffs August 23, 2022 08:49AM
All classes could be backed down in horse power to stop the breakage and put on the same exact show for the fans and the fans would not know the difference also cut out the Cookie Cutter money game and gain more pullers

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520