From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 21, 2022 02:18PM
To Whom It May Concern:
There have been a lot of rumors going around regarding the Brooks Pulling Team and how it came to be that we are no longer pulling with ISP. I am writing this so I can set the record straight on what happened, the actions of the board, and what has happened since then that may be misunderstood by the members of ISP.
The Brooks Pulling Team has been a part of ISP for almost 15 years, and has supported the club with sponsorship funding, participation at almost all events that were held, serving on the board, and promoting the club when we could. We started with one tractor, and progressed to pulling 4 tractors in 3 separate classes. We thought we had developed strong friendships with many of our fellow pullers over those years.
During those years, several violations of rules occurred with little to no discipline for the puller or their tractor. The Board was well aware of these violations either during or after the violations occurred. Below are a few of those infractions that we are aware of that happened just within the classes in which we participated.
1) Roy Book brought a tractor out w/ an illegal engine plate. During that time, he won the class and when it was discovered, the rules were changed to accommodate the illegal plate. He maintained his points and winnings for three years, two of which he won the class.
2) Doug Bend brought a tractor out w/ a clutch can and cut and welded axel housings in 2019. As a result of that, the tractor broke during his participation at events, and he was allowed to continue to pull at future events and there was again, no discipline and the rules were once again changed at the end of the year at a rules meeting to accommodate the tractor.
3) Chris Simpson blew up his intake at an event in 2019, with spectators next to his tractor, and admitted to using nitromethane at that event. There were no consequences given to him or his team, including 2 additional tractors. A rule change was again made to eliminate all substances in the alcohol fuel. At that meeting, options were given to the board in attempts to make it safe and legal for all pullers to run with fuel provided by the club. They refused those options but did state that if anyone found lubricant that would pass their fuel test, it could be run.
In a rules meeting that followed the 2021 pulling season, I proposed a rule to change the fuel from .79 to .795 which would allow VP fuel, since the rest of the 5000 and 7000 class pullers were using fuel that in essence was illegal as it was all .795 or greater. I know some of you will question the additional decimal point, but it does matter when the truck class has a 35-inch tire limit, and cannot use a 35.9-inch tire. The decimal matters. It was also during that meeting that it was requested to change the rule to use top lube. The members voted all of this down. However, after the meeting, the board voted to change the fuel range to .795 so the rest of the pullers would not be illegal.
At that meeting, I admitted to using top lube at the pull in Paw Paw. It is not a performance enhancer, but rather an additive that protects the fuel system and parts of the head. I did not believe that this statement would be considered “cheating” as I had been told in 2019 that if a lubricant could be found that passed the fuel test, it would be legal. The Brooks Pulling Team was the only alcohol team to pass the fuel test at .79 which was the rule at the time of the Paw Paw event. Another member had also admitted to running VP’s M5 fuel, which has top lube and additives and did not pass the fuel test at that pull.
The current rule indicates that if someone wishes to protest a vehicle due to their belief that the vehicle is illegal, that protest must be done in writing, at the event in which the vehicle is being protested, and $250 provided to the tech official. No protest was made at that pull or at any time in the 2021 pulling season.
It was not until a few weeks after the 2021 rules meeting that the Board decided to strip points and winnings from Bill, Terry and David Brooks, who were 1st and 2nd in two classes. It was not until a board member reached out that we were even made aware of these unprecedented events occurring after the final meeting of the year for members. Several attempts were made by the Brooks team to contact the Board members and resolve the issues and grievances. No one attempted to reach out to us or respond to our inquiries. It was then that we reached out to the ISP lawyer, who is the lawyer for all ISP members, or at least that was our understanding. After speaking with her, she also refused additional communication with the Brooks team. We felt we had no other option than to secure our own attorney and a letter was then sent to the ISP lawyer to reinstate the points and winnings to our 1st and 2nd place tractors. There was no evidence of any illegal activity for Bill or David Brooks, but they were striped of their earned accomplishments as well, even though I never drove the tractor for Bill Brooks that season, and David and I pulled in different classes. Our only intention with securing our own attorney was to reinstate the things that were rightfully owed to Bill and David.
After the letter to the lawyer, it was then that we were told that our whole team, including Garrett Brooks who is in a totally different class, and Ron Brooks who runs a diesel were also being sanctioned for the alleged rule violations that the Board assumed. Additional communication was had between the lawyers, and eventually, the Board agreed to reinstate the winnings/points to Bill, Ron and Garrett. They still withheld the points/winnings for David Brooks and me. My tractor and I were also restricted from participating in any pull for the next year.
The point in explaining all of this is that there were multiple prior infractions/rule violations that were overlooked by the Board and its members for many years. It is not that we feel that this should continue, but rather, going forward, that any additional infractions be protested at any event that there is a suspected issue. Or that, as was done in all instances of ‘cheating’ or rule violations in the past, a rule change occur that would allow the use of lubricant that doesn’t enhance any aspect of performance, but rather just protects the large investment that we have in our tractors.
It appears that the purpose of this vicious attack was to eliminate the Brooks Pulling Team all together, and therefore eliminate the competition that was more dominate within the association. It has affected our love of the sport, but also impacted the health of ISP with fewer tractors in the class, and less draw for the spectators. ISP is a business that depends on quality competition and putting on an exciting show in order to obtain future events. It is not just the Brooks Pulling Team that is no longer going to be associated with ISP, but others that don’t wish to support a club that adheres to the “Good ole boy” spirit instead of healthy competition. The point of a Board is to support an environment in which the rules are abided by in a fair and consistent manner. This obviously was not done in this situation and begs the question of if it will done in the future.
This was Bill Brooks’ last year of pulling as his health and mobility were deteriorating to a point that he could no longer comfortably pull. He drove all year long to win the classes and has never done anything to anyone that would have warranted such harsh and unjust actions. He has been a staunch advocate of ISP and dedicated much of his time and money to support the club for years. He did not deserve to have this behavior from people that were not even capable of giving him the time to attempt to resolve the situation in a civilized manner accustomed to people of good character. His family has been involved in this endeavor with him for several years, and it was a way of life for many summers. It is very sad that his last year was stained with such incompetent handling of the case that has soured him from even being able to enjoy watching the events that he so loved.
It is unfortunate that the general members had to be responsible for the actions of the Board that caused an expense that could have been avoided had they communicated effectively and followed precedent previously set. The actions taken should never have happened in the first place, as the season was over, and no protest was ever made on any of the Brooks Pulling Team tractors. We are not “cheaters” and it is a shame that we are accused of this, just because we win often and some of our competitors don’t understand how we do it. We do it because we put much time and effort in to perfecting our tractors and have experience driving that allows us to excel at the sport.
It has also been told to us that Mike Sauter has committed slander against the Brooks Pulling Team, as he has given false information to Board members of another pulling group by saying we are cheaters and that they suspect that we have been doing this for many years. The legal definition states that slander is the crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person’s reputation.
Respectfully,
Terry Brooks and the Brooks Pulling Team

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 21, 2022 05:50PM
I'll miss watching them in the n.a classes.alays were very competitive in that class

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 22, 2022 01:37AM
Was wondering why they weren’t at the McHenry county fair! This is too bad best 3 running tractors in that class being run out by politics… at least they still have the too hot to farm class to watch!

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 22, 2022 07:17AM
Better than a soap opera!@

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 22, 2022 11:51AM
Unfortunately this kind of behavior happens more than most people know. Experienced many situations in my 50 years of Pulling. It's to bad some pullers think "If you can't beat'em just get them kicked out" Good Luck with your future endeavors !

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 22, 2022 12:22PM
Bill Brooks and family. Just wanted to let you know that I have always admired what yall have done with the ol Farmalls and the accomplishments that you have achieved over the years. I'm certain that you don't know me, as we are pullers from Ohio. However your success has not gone unnoticed or forgotten. I hope you can find an organization that will appreciate what you all bring to the pulling world. Best wishes with whatever you decide and always remember that for every hater, you have multiple fans watching and looking forward to seeing you make your next hook.
Best regards, rw

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 22, 2022 12:35PM
I second that. You guys got on my radar in the late 90s and have never left. On the NA side, you guys are the real deal.

CP

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 23, 2022 01:53PM
PULLMX
Unfortunately this kind of behavior happens more than most people know.

Yes it does. The Brooks family are good friends ours and so are the people that Terry mentioned in is facebook post. This kind of behavior needs to STOP by ALL pulling organizations. If it doesn't stop, we could lose pulling altogether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 02:38PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 24, 2022 04:50AM
It’s easier to piss & moan than to work on your stuff. I’ve seen some of the Brooks’ stuff up close & all of it is well thought out.

Good watch here August 24, 2022 02:29PM
[www.youtube.com]

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 24, 2022 04:34PM
It's not a airport flight so no need to announce your departure. Never heard of you guys to begin with so best of luck wherever you decide to pull.

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 26, 2022 02:48PM
No one is “announcing their departure”. We have heard what the pulling club, or a certain individual,
has saying about our team. It’s a lot easier to make slanderous comments then to admit they were wrong.
We are merely stating the facts. Which many have not heard.

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 26, 2022 03:27PM
Brooks
No one is “announcing their departure”. We have heard what the pulling club, or a certain individual,
has saying about our team. It’s a lot easier to make slanderous comments then to admit they were wrong.
We are merely stating the facts. Which many have not heard.

I said this on your facebook post. This whole ordeal was handled the WRONG way. Now that is my opinion and I do believe I am allowed to state my opinion.

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 27, 2022 12:35AM
Supertiquer, I believe Brooks post was directed at Just Sayings post.
Just sayin! Lol

Re: From the Brooks Pulling Team facebook page. August 27, 2022 02:58PM
Robert, yes I know what you are sayin. lol Smiling

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,646, Posts: 229,713, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520