2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 21, 2022 12:48PM
Items that have been changed for the 2023 NTPA season:

General rules:
1. The deadline for the mandatory current SFI certification sticker on Belhousing has been extended from Jan 1, 2023 to Jan 1, 2024.
2. Generator exhaust must exit above the highest point of your hauler if parked closer than 15ft to the rig next to you.
3. Add “Or billet cross/cage from the manufacture” to #7, pg 33-34. Turbocharged engines must have (2) 1/2-inch bolts (Grade 5) in horizontal portion of exhaust pipe(s)as close to the turbo as possible. Bolts to be installed 90 degrees to each other, within one inch of each other.

Fuel / Water rules:
1. All diesel fuel and diesel / bio blends will be measured with a dielectric meter.
A maximum of 13.4 / 150 based on which type of dielectric meter used.
2. Water and soluble oil mixture must measure plus or minus .2 using a water hydrometer or a maximum reading of 5 on a refractometer.

Light Pro Stock and Diesel Super Stock:
1. Fuel Injection pump must remain in stock location

Super Farm:
1. Fuel injection pump dimensions not to exceed P8000 measurements.(these measurements will be listed soon)
Limit one plunger per cylinder. No billet pump housings.

Modified Tractors:
The light unlimited has been changed to a “Light Mod” class and will be offered at SN/GN level.
1. Light Modified allows two supercharged (limited to 14-71 with no overdrive limit) or turbocharged (no single engine tractors, no naturally aspirated or turbines) piston engines at 6000 lbs.. This class will only be offered on the Grand National/ Super National (GN/SN) circuit.

Mini Rod:
The weight will remain 2050 and will no longer be required to have any movable weight.

Contest Operations:
1. For those classes in which 15 or less are entered, if a competitor’s vehicle breaks (verified by the head official) at an event when registered in other sessions, he is not required to “bump the sled” in that class to receive last place points among those entered in the class he/she was registered. They will not receive a check, but, will get last place points among those entered.
Note: this would not apply to other classes also entered at that event, i.e. a Modified also entered in a Unlimited class or a LSS entered in a Heavy SS class. Those classes will just be “scratch” points
2. On a competitor’s first attempt, no matter where the vehicle stops prior to 100 foot, no matter the circumstance (out of bounds, kill switch pulled, etc.), competitor will get a second attempt.

Additional Class Added:
Regional National Pro Stock tractor class, turbo limited to 5 inch intake and exhaust, no intercooler, all other rules the same as GN Heavy Pro Stock including cubic inch, component chassis and weight.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 12:51PM by Brent Yaron.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 21, 2022 01:22PM
Modified Tractors:
The light unlimited has been changed to a “Light Mod” class and will be offered at SN/GN level.
1. Light Modified allows two supercharged (limited to 14-71 with no overdrive limit) or turbocharged (no single engine tractors, no naturally aspirated or turbines) piston engines at 6000 lbs.. This class will only be offered on the Grand National/ Super National (GN/SN) circuit.

I still don't understand not allowing turbines as a combination. Based on the wording, the Charlie Wilcox option, should someone want to build or run one (less an engine or two that he ran in back in the day) would not be legal.

Brookhart's Radial, or anyone else who may want to build one lighter, would not be legal. I believe there is a radial in Europe that runs the 5500 class. All those turbo charged light mod DT 466's in Europe that are competitive? Nah. Illegal. Those are single engine and the wording specifically says "no single engine tractors." It does NOT say "no single engine v-8 tractors."

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 21, 2022 01:37PM
I do like the idea of NTPA adopting the 5" pro stock. I'm sure they have a good number of pullers in region 2 interested to bring it back from the dead. Of course, personally, I like it also because it might halt component talk for the limited/light pro classes that are developed. I do wonder how will this affect the 4.1/Light Pro class numbers/hooks in other regions should the class take off being its similar, but not similar at the same time. Time will tell.

- Collin Birkholz

Regional National Pro Stock tractor class? September 22, 2022 12:09AM
Does this line up with the Outlaw's?

Re: Regional National Pro Stock tractor class? September 22, 2022 12:12AM
Looks like it, pretty sure Outlaws and Western Series use box chargers as well. Not sure if NTPA is going to go that route or not.

Re: Regional National Pro Stock tractor class? September 22, 2022 01:05AM
Just from what I've heard, NTPA is against box turbos rules I could be wrong but it at least this would allow others guys from outlaw or ppl to pull at that level of NTPA if they want. I could see a couple limited pro guys that are looking for a change jumping up to this.

Re: Regional National Pro Stock tractor class? September 22, 2022 02:25AM
The turbo rule doesn't line up with Outlaw or Western Series. The box turbo is a 5"X5.4" smooth bore. It would be to intelligent to match what already works out west for NTPA.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 05:17AM
For those of us not in the know, what was the technical, safety or competition reason behind the pump mounting rule?

I assume it is a continuation of the injector line length rule that was put in place and then rescinded?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 06:19AM by mh49.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 07:21AM
So Light and Limited Pro Stocks remain a Regional class based on this?

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 08:19AM
mh49
For those of us not in the know, what was the technical, safety or competition reason behind the pump mounting rule?

I assume it is a continuation of the injector line length rule that was put in place and then rescinded?

Great question Scott, I don't really understand it either. I don't really care if they mount the pump upside-down on the top of the head with 8" injector lines... what's the harm/concern? I'd really like to know why this is a problem.

As for the Light Mods rules I agree with The Original Michael, no single engine rule seems a little short-sighted. I'd love to see different options, I'd love to see an inline-6 with three or four turbos, I'd love to see a radial. I'd also love to see Turbines, just factor them so they are within a reasonable limit and let them run. This is the best version of the rules for this class yet, but somehow the NTPA manages to still miss the mark on this class every time they make a change.

As for the 5" turbo Prostock class... thank goodness. I don't know about the rest of you but I really think we needed to fill that void; we had a big cube 3" class and big cube 4'1" class and a bigger cube 6" class, clearly there was a gap there that needed to be filled Grinning

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 09:23AM
You want some good reading, check out the technical services facebook page. Scroll down to the super stock 4X4 regional rules.
Multiple cubic inch combos, changes from one region to another.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 10:24AM
This is because each region already had the class competing at the listed cubic inch. This will allow all competitors to compete in there specific region with out having to build new motors to compete. Makes a lot of sense if you actually understand or know what our talking about.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 10:38AM
Total BS, and you know it.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 11:48AM
Oly
This is because each region already had the class competing at the listed cubic inch. This will allow all competitors to compete in there specific region with out having to build new motors to compete. Makes a lot of sense if you actually understand or know what our talking about.

They will all build different engines to compete in the 5” class if they want to be competitive

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 03:05AM
This was about the truck class not the prostock

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 03:00AM
I disagree. The only place I know of SS trucks running 410ci in RN2 is USA East and it appears they only adopted the class new in 2022. Everywhere else is 470 or more, but I guess none of them went to the meeting.

CP

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 11:14AM
Per one inch shorter injection line and dramatic hp increase will happen. One way of try to curb big power gain and domination of colors.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 22, 2022 11:45AM
IH-SSD
Per one inch shorter injection line and dramatic hp increase will happen. One way of try to curb big power gain and domination of colors.

The cost increase is more dramatic than the power increase.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 03:05AM
Not total B.S. Apparently ignorance is bliss Mr. $.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 03:53AM
Oly
Not total B.S. Apparently ignorance is bliss Mr. $.

Keep digging, what's next 3 different cubic inch super farm regions?

Its Kool Aid drinkers like you, that keeps sending pullers, fans, promoters and sponsors, to PPL.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 07:33AM
You must lick windows. You don't change established classes. Its idiots like you that would drive the pullers away making them completely change there setups to compete at the next level. This allows everyone who is already built to jump to region and pull without changing. As far as SF that isn't even close to a fair comparison, they have always been 640 across the board not 505 here and 540 there. You are not intelligent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 07:37AM by Oly.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 08:57AM
Oly
You must lick windows. You don't change established classes. Its idiots like you that would drive the pullers away making them completely change there setups to compete at the next level. This allows everyone who is already built to jump to region and pull without changing. As far as SF that isn't even close to a fair comparison, they have always been 640 across the board not 505 here and 540 there. You are not intelligent.

So, this keeps pullers from changing their set up, interesting.

The small cubes group can travel everywhere, the big cube group can just shut up, and stay home.

What you are saying, it's national pulling (sort off) most of the time, just not in this case.

I thought the super farm reference, would go over your head.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 09:18AM
It doesn't keep them from changing there setup it allows them to not HAVE to change there setup. Making it 530 across the board would make guys with built 410 have to build a new 530 motor and buy different gears and vise versa. Quick way to kill an established class with 15 vehicles in it!! I know its hard to understand that not everyone has a wide open check book. This type of idea would ruin the sport. Just like people like you are ruining this forum.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 23, 2022 09:31AM
Dear God, give me strength.

The 410 trucks don't have to change anything, they can take their chances and hook, across the country.

The 530 trucks are not allowed to hook, outside of their sandbox.

End of story

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 24, 2022 02:22AM
Where do these 15 410 trucks run currently?

CP

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 24, 2022 03:50AM
You honestly think a 410 trucks gonna travel cross country to get its ass beat by a 530 truck....doubtful. And I doubt the 12-15 trucks we will see in region 3 plan to travel to to region 6 for a hook if they ran the same cubic inch!! Either way you try to explain it some group would have to spend big money to run if they made it all the same once again not everyone has a big check book!!!

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 24, 2022 04:36AM
The National Tractor Pullers Association was established in 1969 by representatives from eight states (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Pennsylvania). These representatives met to establish uniform rules and give the sport structure. From these meetings, the NTPA was started. The year 2019 marks 50 years in the business as the premier sanctioning body of truck and tractor pulling.

Just not this time.

Regional Level- The beginning of the “National” pulling level. Many of the competitors and their vehicles are Grand and Super National in ability but focus on this level due to the time commitment at the higher levels.

Just not this time.

What other regional class, has changing cubic inch rules, from one region to another?

Enderle Pull-Off? Let me guess, just the 410 trucks.

Maybe a 530 team could want, to do some Florida pulling.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 24, 2022 07:29AM
You still haven't told me where these RN2 410 trucks are.

CP

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 24, 2022 01:39PM
Just a quick look on region 2 results shows for Lisbon and Canton for super stock 4x4. Is the class you are referring to?

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 25, 2022 12:33AM
Possibly. I'm not saying there are no 410 trucks in the region, it just seems to me most are 485s. That would have seemed to fit better.

CP

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 25, 2022 02:27AM
The only 410 trucks, I have run across are light, like 4500lbs (plus or minus) with 31 X15.50 cut tires.

So, this must be some other group.

Cleary, state level rules, with a regional letter head.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 26, 2022 07:49AM
you must be thinking of PS4x4 then correct?

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 27, 2022 01:17AM
That is a part of the problem. Eastern and mid-west all have similar classes called by different names, ps4x4, ss4x4, outlaw 4x4, light pro stock gas, pro stock gas, altered stock 4x4, hot street 4x4. All dot tire classes . Cubic inch range from 410 to 650.
Maybe the NTPA can bring some uniformity to such classes.
But I am just a small fish.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 26, 2022 09:37AM
Definitely would love to see allisons and 6 cylinders and Turbines in mix. The 5" class is exciting too!

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2022 01:24AM by Stormy.

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 26, 2022 01:32PM
Why were super farms and 4.1 tractors not included in the injection pump location rule? Seem so silly… I wonder who’s feelings got hurt this summer??

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 26, 2022 01:09PM
*starts working on injection pump design with same bore spacing as the engine.*

Re: 2023 NTPA Rules Changes September 27, 2022 01:22AM
Anyone want Scheid to bring back the 12 plunger pumps? lol

CP

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,642, Posts: 229,708, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520