PPL and Boyds November 22, 2022 02:19AM
Maybe this why Boyds and sons hung it up? got some inside info?

Re: PPL and Boyds November 22, 2022 12:02PM
Huh? Sure Thing

Re: PPL and Boyds November 22, 2022 03:39PM
It is strange that only pulling got dumped. It seems like all other sponsored motorsports are continuing unless I am missing something. So the argument of reducing risk for the Lucas company is out the window. Thoughts....

Re: PPL and Boyds November 22, 2022 11:33PM
Diesel is a dirty word, these days.

Might be part of be part of it, shoveling good money after bad, might be most of it.

If I had to guess.

$

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 12:58AM
That idea is is interesting, because they are a California based company. It would be sad if they were pressured to dump pulling because of the "image" to save face in the woke corporate world. That would explain why just pulling!

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 01:09AM
Not one word of that is true.

Google Lucas Oil California. The leadership of that company is not that easily swayed.

CP

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 02:11AM
Yeah, say what you will about Lucas as a company, but they are as non-woke as an organization that size can possibly be I think.

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 02:26AM
Curious
That idea is is interesting, because they are a California based company. It would be sad if they were pressured to dump pulling because of the "image" to save face in the woke corporate world. That would explain why just pulling!

[www.channel3000.com]

Re: PPL and Boyds November 22, 2022 11:55PM
lucas dropped off road truck racing two years ago but still broadcast the events on mav but without their name on the title

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 02:05AM
The west coast short course series was shut down- it doesn't continue with or without the Lucas name. A new west coast series (GAS) was launched last year, but it is pretty small and not broadcast on MAV or anywhere else as far as I know. The Midwest series was separate and is doing quite well, but has no involvement from Lucas other than their sponsoring Keegan Kincaid. And it is streamed on Floracing. Now Lucas DOES sponsor the world championship races on labor day Sunday at Crandon and broadcasts that on MAV (looks like it's on tomorrow in fact) but that is a one day event and has nothing to do with the series they used to own/sponsor.

The analog between the pulling and off road series are actually kind of interesting. The Midwest series is where short course all began and while the business side of the sanctioning body has changed a few times the sport has just kept plugging along, in good times and bad. They have the oldest events and best tracks. They have Crandon, which is like Bowling Green and Tomah wrapped into one. Other than Traxxas a few years back they haven't typically had major sponsorship that took over the identity of the series. There have been times where they struggled to put a half dozen Pro4s on the track, and things haven't looked great, but they have a solid core of events and competitors that stuck with them.

The Lucas series on the other hand was supposed to be the future. Big money series owner/sponsor, flashy west coast drivers and events. They had more trucks and better known drivers in the pro classes. They were supposed to be the rich, stable series, not like the podunk farmers and loggers from Wisconsin. They were all about marketing and "professionalism." But then Lucas pulled the plug, and it suddenly became apparent that there was no foundation. They didn't have the events with deep roots, or the purpose built tracks refined over decades. They didn't have a strong, dedicated sportsman series. So it died.

Point is, for all the crap NTPA gets about being backwards and not as slick and corporate as PPL, that might just be the secret to survival in this kind of sport. I think NTPA's brush with death in the 80s taught them to be very wary about deciding to become a "big time" nationwide sport and chasing corporate sugar daddies.

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 01:28AM
Curious
It is strange that only pulling got dumped. It seems like all other sponsored motorsports are continuing unless I am missing something. So the argument of reducing risk for the Lucas company is out the window. Thoughts....

Lucas has been scaling back this stuff for a few years. They shut down Morgan Lucas' own 2 car top fuel team. They pulled the plug on drag boats. They shut down the Lucas short course off road series. I mentioned last year on here that I was concerned about PPL because it seemed like Lucas was cutting back on the more niche motorsports. It wouldn't surprise me to see either the late models or ASCS sprint cars go before long.

I think a lot of the reason for Lucas getting involved in some of these series was to provide content for MavTV. They also seemed to have a model where they would sell a sponsorship package to companies that would include MavTV as well as vehicles in these series. In addition to Lucas' own brands (Lucas Oil, Protect the Harvest, MavTV) there would always be one or more vehicles sponsored by a roster of companies- at various times there has been General Tire, Optima, Tonka, iON cameras, etc. Even when it didn't really make sense (a tire company sponsoring a drag boat?). I think they were hoping this business model (own a variety of small and varied series and the network broadcasting them, then broker sponsorships across series and platforms) would take off and make niche motorsports profitable for both themselves and the competitors, but I'm not sure that's happened.

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 02:19AM
[www.roadracingworld.com]

Re: PPL and Boyds November 23, 2022 07:24AM
So what is going to happen with the big sponsorship the big tractors get and if it’s gone can they keep running

Gone November 24, 2022 03:41AM
Heard two of the main ppl mods have already ended up in Farley, IA?

Re: Gone November 24, 2022 04:28AM
One says pulling is dying and then somebody buys 2 mods. There goes 600k+

Re: Gone November 24, 2022 06:21AM
Longs mods and everything gone to Farley, Ia.

Re: Gone November 24, 2022 06:52AM
Longs done or building something different? Hopefully new build

Re: Gone November 24, 2022 01:10PM
Shelton’s mods have been for sale also.

Re: Gone November 25, 2022 01:32AM
Their done !!!! Toter EVERYTHING is sold-- gone --- !!!! Option to build again will always be there !!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason