First time it got loud? December 27, 2022 07:56AM
When I was a boy, a 5-engine blown hemi tractor was unheard of. Twds weren't a thing and minis were mostly carbureted small blocks.

However, to a kid even a twin n/a mod back in the day was loud compared to the 4020 dad farmed with.

What do you remember about the first time you heard a loud tractor or pulling truck?

Re: First time it got loud? December 27, 2022 04:16PM
For me it was probably the Indiana State fair pulls in about the mid to late 60s...and I say probably because I'm THAT old!!! We were there every year showing horses but I would sneak off to watch the pulls when ever I could. I was amazed at the machines, the noise and which tractors did well because it wasn't always the pretty ones that ran the best. This was back in the days when the Banter Brothers had single blown tractors, they were still using the old Cockshutt steering wheels, fenders and seats. Then these plain Jane looking tractors would scream down the track and blow past everyone...pretty cool stuff for a teenager who loved tractors.

S'no Farmer

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 04:05AM
Paul Norman brought the triple Arias, War Wagon to our local fair some time in the mid 80's. Most of the mods made you plug your ears, but that just seemed to be excessive.

A couple years later we got tickets to be down close to the track at the farm show. Bill Leischner's 3 engine Dirtslinger was loud enough that I could clearly feel my pulse thru my femoral artery. I immediately feared being in the same seat when Walsh's 4 engine Irish Challenger ran. They ran a different night. None of the wedge motor tractors ever came close to that level of noise.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 04:54AM
Been around
Paul Norman brought the triple Arias, War Wagon to our local fair some time in the mid 80's. Most of the mods made you plug your ears, but that just seemed to be excessive.

A couple years later we got tickets to be down close to the track at the farm show. Bill Leischner's 3 engine Dirtslinger was loud enough that I could clearly feel my pulse thru my femoral artery. I immediately feared being in the same seat when Walsh's 4 engine Irish Challenger ran. They ran a different night. None of the wedge motor tractors ever came close to that level of noise.

Back in the 1980's-early 2000's I heard just about all of the major Mods live and I believe that the Walsh's was the loudest one ever..There was something different about it.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 10:01AM
Charleston,West Virginia coliseum seeing the twin aux stage fuel injected Allison randy Canadian run. It shook the building and everyone that was in it. Don’t think I’ve ever impressed anymore than that until the first time you see the Ross diesel super run or see a mod tractor with screws on it run that is hooked up

Re: First time it got loud? December 27, 2022 06:22PM
Wasn't the 1st time it got loud for me, but as a youth attending the state fair, but not attending the tractor pulls, was walking around the fair exhibits and multi engine tractors would make a pass. The people out in the grounds were not impressed by the loud noise, but I was grinning and loving it!

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 10:22AM
cpr,
You reminded me of an experience at NFMS when Jerry Stuart ran we were sitting on metal folding chairs and you could quite literally FEEL the power that night! My wife and I had an interesting conversation after that run!!!

At the time Jerry was running two engines with big blowers and really had them tuned up so they were hammering hard...to the point that Jerry was changing some pistons and sleeves the next day.

S'no Farmer

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 12:34AM
Pulling never got loud for me till I heard Dan utz and Ronnie Reed twist their motors. They were on a different level as far as listening to motors run. I then found fuel cars. You haven't heard loud till you listen to a nitro motor!! Lol

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 02:19AM
Growing up in the 80s and 90s around here, most had Chevys. A handful of Donovans or Arias were around. The first one I remember as different was Jerry Stewart's Down And Dirty at NFMS. It didn't seem to come from the tractor. The sound seemed like it came up through the floor and shook me in my seat.

And yeah, nothing compares to nitro for noise. That'll rearrange you.

CP

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 08:31AM
Two memories - One was at Freedom Hall for a TNT show that had a pulling track and a monster truck racing track also. My parents and I were seated on the monster truck side opposite the pulling track. I vividly remember one of the Banter 6 engine machines rattling the building.

Chapel Hill 1990, 1991? Sitting on rhe starting line and Engler with the full tilt Mission Impossible in the Heavy Mod bending the throttle over...and wearing dirt about 10-15 seconds after he passed us.

Nitro cars are just another level as has been mentioned.

For what its worth, Ive measured big cube John Deeres at 114-116dB standing 30 feet away. The cumulative effect of those is substantial.

Ive tried measuring Mods with the dB meter app on my phone, it gives up at 117-118dB from 100ft away.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 03:39AM
First time for me was Ralph Chamberlain and the Allison Team at BG.

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 05:38AM
I was a kid. It got real years later at an OSTPA pull for the Randolph Fair. I was the unhooker. Mr Veney drove the triple version of Funny Farmall. I learned just how hard those motors could be on your body at 20 feet.

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 07:47AM
My friend and I put a 392 hemi in a Farmall MD chassis. It looked like it came from the factory. No the factory would have not made it look that good. It was a good puller, not beaten many times, This was in 1967. The first time I ever pulled was in 1965.

Re: First time it got loud? December 28, 2022 08:27AM
Early 1960's sometime. Farmall H with a lincoln motor, couple of M's with small block Chevies, F 20 with a Ford. Couple of others, I was maybe 10 years old.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 01:34AM
Dirtfarmer, if you want to share about classic mods, I am interested. Thanks Five 07-341-1013.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 03:15AM
I watched Huge tank engines fly down the track with torqy sound and vibrating noise, - however nothing compared to the Banter Bros Yellow Banana that pulled near Lake Crystal,Mn. at FarmFest, in the 80's. other Mods with Allisions tore up the dirt, But nothing came close to the Banter Bros. High rpms, fast ground speed and multi engine awesome Power and action.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 05:09AM
It was seeing Lanny Kay at Dubuque Ia. Maybe 1969!!! With an underslung f-30 and a big block Chevy.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 07:45AM
I realize 5-7 blown engines cray loud but for me growing up in the northeast in the 80's and beyond the minis were strong in Eastern NY and Vermont. Donald Noyes U.S. Mule, The Edsons Milkers1, Milker 2, Milker 3 , Pat Jackmans Mainely Mini, Phil Fairbanks Rat Poison were what we saw quite a bit of. Always loved minis but the loudest i ever heard was a guy from Johnson, VT. Ernest Krusch had a 4 engine Mini with 4-433 free air snowmobile engines on it. It was insanely loud in my opinion and cool besides. Ernie is like 6'6" and when he built it he kneeled while driving it. He kicked their asses so bad they tried to outlaw him for safety so he modified it so he could drive it sitting down and still kicked them around with it.

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 10:44AM
Would love to see a picture of the 4 engine mini, that has to be cool !!!

Re: First time it got loud? December 29, 2022 10:47AM
Would love to see a picture of the 4 engine mini, has to be cool !!!

Re: First time it got loud? December 30, 2022 11:27AM
For me it wasnt the loud i liked it was the Turban engines and the black tornado,s coming out the SS tractors exhaust pipe,s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 11:28AM by Lewis Conner.

Re: First time it got loud? December 30, 2022 01:44PM
Lewis Conner
For me it wasnt the loud i liked it was the Turban engines and the black tornado,s coming out the SS tractors exhaust pipe,s

That's what I was thinking, regarding this discussion.....EXACTLY the same thing.
Loud doesn't impress me and I'm a diesel guy anyway, so......

Re: First time it got loud? December 31, 2022 11:26AM
I believe this is the 4 motor mini Razor referred to.
Just a screen grab pic from a 2003 video from Casselman Ontario

Re: First time it got loud? January 01, 2023 11:01AM
The "first" pull of 2022, with supercharged engines were very definitely way too LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!
I had forgotten to take my 34 decibel reduction ear muffs with me.
The entry taker gave me a set of twin flanged foam ear plugs. Perhaps better than nothing.
But that is exactly what I was left with for hearing in my left ear - literally Nothing !!
And proven by our city's leading audiologist with very intensive and extensive testing.
He said I will never regain my left ear hearing. And hearing aids do not improve the hearing/understanding of people either.
So Please, invest a few dollars in excellent, noise reduction Ear Muffs and wear them during those Supercharged Engine Classes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make it a New Year's resolution.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520