Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 07:05AM
-If you haven't been to Shipshewanna for the Midwest Winter Nationals, put it on your list of events to attend. Now.

-The Michiana Event Center has given Klint Tucker and company room to move and grow...basically freeing them of some limitations that Gordyville had. Much due respect to the work and efforts at Gordyville, but the MEC is on a whole other level.

-Competition as always was excellent; it would be nice to see more events where people are willing to leave their local/state/regional "sandboxes" with their unique rule sets and gather in a national sandbox to settle who is the best in the nation. The Midwest Winter Nationals is the gold standard for doing so.

-Other high points: 1) Power track. Maybe not Gordyville power, but impressive still; 2)Sessions that ran and ended in a timely manner; 3)Excellent mix of announcers that were clear and easily heard from every spot in the building I listened to.them. 4) An impressive $10k raised for Shriners Hospitals for Children with the raffle of the replica of Kevin Engelking's White 4.1 Limited Pro.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 07:44AM
Good job of reporting for us that can't attend. Thank you.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 09:33AM
I have been to Gordyville in the past and made the trip to Ship for the first time this year. I attended with two friends for both sessions on Saturday.

The biggest takeaway from our perspective was how incredibly efficient the pull was ran. All of us commented on how quickly tractors were moved on and off the track. We joked that on the big end of the track the loader operator was almost catching the tractors as they set the front end down! We appreciated the start times being moved up to finish at an earlier time. We left between sessions to check into our hotel but saved our seats for the finals with a sheet and our cushions. Nobody messed with our stuff while we were gone. When we returned the arena was ready to go and the energy was electric! The spectator turnout was tremendous! The first vehicle was going down the track at 6:08 and the last vehicle was finished by 10:30pm I believe.

Saturday sled settings were almost flawless! Incredible job by the Bungarts.

The facility is beautiful and the event is a must see! We weren’t even finished with the first class and my friends with me were already commenting how we need to come back next year. If you have a chance to go, do not miss it…..you will not be disappointed!

Already looking forward to next year!

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 08:34AM
One of the best put together pulls I’ve seen in a long time, Almost flawless Klint and his team put together an awesome event!!
Can’t wait for next year

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 10:58AM
Has there ever been any discussion on adding some other classes like a LSS, Pro Stock, DSS or one of the other higher horsepower classes? Does look like a great event to attend, hope to make it one day.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 05:00AM
Back in the day, I believe all of those classes have been present at one point or another in Gordyville. I doubt you'll see Light Supers any time soon; I believe it's a ventilation thing.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 17, 2023 02:15AM
LSS Fan
Has there ever been any discussion on adding some other classes like a LSS, Pro Stock, DSS or one of the other higher horsepower classes? Does look like a great event to attend, hope to make it one day.

They might have the potential of adding ps or dss, but not light super stock. They said the small block minis were already creating a lot of fumes, and since I attended this year, it was so bad in certain spots I was crying my eyes out. Not on purpose, but because the fumes were so bad.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 17, 2023 05:11AM
Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it to Ship yet been to Gordyville a couple times. I have watched the live stream every year. That has improved every year. The Midwest Winter Nationals is always a great show. My hats off and big thanks to everyone involved.

Gordon Cox

For The Love Of Pulling

[www.facebook.com]

[fortheloveofpulling.godaddysites.com]

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 18, 2023 10:32AM
I've never been to an indoor pull other than antiques, nor do I have a roll cage tractor. Is there a reason the alcohol tractors can't use the smoke tube?

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 18, 2023 11:48AM
As rich as they run them there is an explosion risk if the tube gets loaded with methanol and they have a detonation. Big boom possible.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 18, 2023 12:07PM
JEide,
This subject was discussed about the NFMS pull several times. The general idea is that during the spooling up of the engine they put out a lot of raw alcohol and the fear is that something could ignite that unburnt fuel causing an explosion in the exhaust tube.

S'no

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 15, 2023 11:30AM
I have been to Gordyville a few times. This year I decided go to Shipshewana with my farm stock tractor. I was impressed with how organized and well planned the entire event was. I didn’t see a single glitch. The venue really works well. Everyone knows their job and does it well. It was not at all difficult to navigate as a first time puller there. I was impressed with everything I saw. The sled guy was good. Quick and efficient from the front door to the back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2023 11:32AM by billonthefarm.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 01:30AM
It was nice to see what seemed like a very smooth run show, from the spectator perspective anyway. Very little down time for breakage. I think having to have sleds set on kill right out of the gate at gordy was harder on equipment. With the longer track, and not quite as biting of a track it helps keep breakage down to a minimum. A great show once again, and a huge thank you to the entire WhatsSmokin crew that makes this all possible!

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 03:23AM
Attended for the first time this year. WOW! What a well organized event. Excellent job by everyone here. Sled settings were good. Show kept moving and sessions were over at reasonable times.

Great job by the announcing group. Charles was quite adept at providing insider info on breakage and other key events that happened on the track. It was nice to have a one on one chat with him there Friday morning (hope you make the journey north to see us in June!).

Only negative is wow the beer is pricey......new normal I guess. Confused

Highly recommend attending this event if you never have.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 09:00AM
I'm definitely going to agree with everyone here. The show was very well run. Never a hold up because anyone else lost concentration on the track crew or lining tractors up. Track seemed to have alot of bite and stayed the same for every competitor.

The announcers were excellent the whole weekend. Not sure how they kept the commentary interesting and technically accurate for that period of time, but this clearly was the best I've heard in years. They were aware of what was going on with the track and had some semblance of a back story most of the competitors too.

The parking looked a little chaotic, but we got in and out pretty flawlessly. We're just gonna need to plan our trip a little better next year so we can stay at a hotel a little closer to the event.

Hard to beat in alot of ways. I kinda wish the concessions weren't quite as steep, but you tend to get that with a top tier event.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 12:17PM
Been there all 3 years and this was the best ran one so far! Starts on time every time and done 4-5 hours later, none stop action. Only 3 complaints from me: high BEER price and only busch beer!! need MILLER LITE!!!!! And only 6 to the finals was a bummer, was always 8, a few good pullers got left out and we did not know about this untill after we got there. Other than that, It was a GREAT time!!!

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 12:21PM
Sending 6 to the finals instead of 8 is due to keeping the length of the sessions down. Klint gets charged a pretty penny if the session goes past midnight.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 12:24PM
I get that part, Also, only pays 6 instead of 8 places, saves money too!!

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 16, 2023 04:41PM
Our group had a watch party all 3 days at my garage,did not hear a negative comment from anyone,quite a few comment on how quick the show wad moving.i enjoy listening to Mr downs along with the other announcers.the streaming view was top notch,not 1 glitch great camera work too.thank you klint and his crew,our favorite pull to watch thru streaming,personally I enjoy it much more than the farm show

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 17, 2023 02:09AM
As the finish line camera, thank you for compliments on the live stream. We have come a long way from where we started with the live streaming and believe have a great product to offer! Huge shoutout to Ryan Zoellick for all the hard work he puts in to make the live stream as great as it is!

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 17, 2023 02:33AM
Now, if only the results page would be likewise. Lots of results are missing, on whatssmokin website.

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 17, 2023 03:12AM
I do note that for example if you go to Thursday afternoon, the results are there for the Flights, but not the Finals under each class. You'll have to go to Thursday night (or whenever that particular class' Final was) and then you'll see the Finals results. I didn't check them all, but I believe if you do that, you should be able to see everything.

CP

Re: Midwest Winter Nationals Thoughts January 18, 2023 12:04PM
Thanks for the kind words and very good to catch up with you all. It's been a while. I hope I can get up there just to take it in. It's a different world now, but hard to imagine E MI pulling without SW ON. Always seemed to go together.

CP

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520