Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 01:40AM
Our club is seriously considering adding RPM monitoring to the classes that have RPM limits. This probably would be in the form of a magnetic pickup (MPU) wired to the back of the pullling tractor with a plug to connect to the monitor on the sled.

My question is, how do you do this with an SFI approved vibration dampener? Do these monitors use magnets on the dampener? I believe that modifying a dampener would likely violate the SFI approval.

How have others complied to this requirement?

A search of this site has shown that at least two blips are necessary to be accurate due to oscillations in crankshaft rotation causing inaccurate readings. If two are used they would have to be exactly 180 degrees apart to get accurate readings.

How the data is recorded and analyzed will make a big difference on the results and may cause unwanted disqualifications.

What other real time methods have been used or tried to keep RPM in check?

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 02:09AM
Tattle tale tach.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 03:21AM
Call Fair Valley performance

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 04:18AM
You should specify pullers to use the ISSPRO R8906 magnetic pickup. It comes with 2 magnets, but 1 is plenty. ISSPRO instructions says to mount the magnet on the face of the balancer for best results, however it can also be mounted to the OD with success. FYI, if you were to use 2 magnets they do NOT have to be mounted 180 degrees apart. The ECU calculating the RPM is merely counting pluses and dividing by the number of magnets to get revolutions.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 08:14AM
I found a response from Sashi that said that in Europe they found that a four-magnet system was better than a single or two magnet system. This comparison showed that the single magnet system had resulted in disqualifications where the data from the four-magnet system showed that the engine had exceeded RPM limits.

I have a background in data acquisition and data analysis, how the algorithms are written, and the frequency of the data collection can make a big difference in how the results are presented to the observer. This is especially true when looking for maximum values in a data set.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 10:29AM
RPC, not sure if you proof read your post

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 01:09PM
redundant, what is your point

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 02:03PM
You said the single magnet resulted in disqualifications, and the four magnets showed the engine exceeded RPM’s.
Those sound like they both showed the same thing, they were illegal.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 03:48PM
Also, it's "Sascha"

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 06:19PM
My apologies to Sascha

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 11, 2023 06:17PM
My mistake, the four-magnet system showed the engine did NOT exceed RPM.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 14, 2023 06:56PM
We're now running two magnets on the tractor and have our tech guy looking at the graph on a tablet during the run.

Single magnet system gave out false readings in acceleration - and actually, people stepping on the clutch at the end of the run etc. gave peaks, too. This ended up in the monitoring system being given certain margins and that then turned into pullers trying to find out how high those margins were, creeping up in rpms over time.
So now with the tablet, there is a clear graph for everybody to see and you can tell whether somebody was going down the track over the rpm or if it just went over when the driver hit the clutch at the end of the run, when he was standing still already.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 15, 2023 02:22AM
How does the tablet pickup the signal to readout? Some sort of wifi/ Bluetooth signal?
Could definitely see times it would be nice to see it right off the track rather than having to download runs to laptop

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 15, 2023 03:34AM
I think it's a bluetooth dongle on the monitor box, yes.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 14, 2023 01:28PM
Quoting MLP:
[You should specify pullers to use the ISSPRO R8906 magnetic pickup. It comes with 2 magnets, but 1 is plenty. ISSPRO instructions says to mount the magnet on the face of the balancer for best results, however it can also be mounted to the OD with success. FYI, if you were to use 2 magnets they do NOT have to be mounted 180 degrees apart. The ECU calculating the RPM is merely counting pluses and dividing by the number of magnets to get revolutions.]

-The ISSPRO instruction sheet does not specify in writing where to mount the 2 magnets other than 180* apart…. Although the diagram provided suggests that the magnets be mounted on the OD of the balancer, rather than the face??? I’m not sure what instructions you’re referring to, as I just looked to make sure I didn’t install incorrectly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 01:35PM by IHRED.

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 15, 2023 01:04AM
See attached instructions from ISSPRO https://isspro.com/installation/236B%20-R8906.pdf

Re: Engine RPM Monitoring February 12, 2023 07:59AM
Agri tronix has a display at the end of track that is live and when unplugged it will read highest reading. They will be coming out with these first of April. Proto type was at Mid West Nationals. Uses Isspro single magnet pick up on damper. Call and talk with Terry!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,688, Posts: 229,793, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member Jason