Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 19, 2023 02:33AM
Been pondering this for a while. Especially the last couple days with the purse post and I see a couple comments there that fit this. Don't get me wrong I am a NTPA fan. I'd rather see a NTPA show than PPL, we all have our reasons why. One of these days I'll get to an Outlaw event.

Was watching the interview Jason did a while back with Dave from NTPA. He briefly covered why there is a WPI. I understand why it was needed back in the day but don't get it now. I get the feeling now WPI is holding the sport back a bit with some of his comments. What worked back then isn't working today. As Dave said back then pullers were there own worst enemy and they needed to remove them from some of the decision making especially with money and sponsors. I believe it's still partially true today but listening to Dave I hear why our sport is stalled in growth from the fan side to the competitor side. I agree it's a family sport. Where else do you see the entire family in the pits working on the vehicles and cleaning them. Or entire families in the stands watching. But Dave's comment about not wanting to be like NHRA or Nascar has me wondering. We need to keep our sport family based but not allowing it to grow or trying to build it up limits our foot print, limits our crowds, and in turn limits sponsors who want a bigger bang for there buck. He talked allot more about other things but how can a sport grow when that is the mentality (we need to limit growth so we don't turn into NHRA)? If you don't have the sponsors you can't pay the competitors or have the advertising, if you don't have the competitors and advertising how do you get spectator's, without spectator's you won't draw the sponsors. How do we change that mentality and not lose our history? If WPI is here to stay shouldn't WPI be more focused on growing the fan base and sponsors for better revenue and not limiting it and NTPA be more focused on the competitors and rules? With WPI doing both and having the mindset that they don't want to grow into something bigger how will we get to that next step we all want and talk about how do we change the culture and thinking? How do we have every grand national event be a Bowling Green? After watching the interview it sounds like Dave and Greg are working against each other.

Why is it so different between the US and our friends in Europe. When you watch there pulls the stands are packed and it's a party. And you see allot of sponsors. PPL with Lucas started pulling bigger sponsors for competitors but will it change now? Why don't you see that in NTPA? What do we need to change to get more excitement and involvement? Farm show has been trying different things and all I've heard was complaints on here even though they have been selling out tickets. I thought the music and light shows help interest other crowds and the younger generation it was more up beat, does it need some work probably but we can always do better. Obviously it's some of the mentality like mentioned above and we can't just pick on one association PPL seems in the past to have more money (because of Lucas) but allot of the same issues.

Related question- rule making process April 19, 2023 05:16AM
When NTPA has the meetings during Enderle weekend, and proposals are taken to the board, is it the NTPA Board who approves, or the WPI Board?

Also, when a Tech update is posted on NTPA's Tech Page, is that an executive decision of the Tech Director, a directive from the NTPA Board, or from the WPI Board?
(There is also theory vs practice, meaning how is this supposed to work in theory, and does it work that way in practice)?

Re: Related question- rule making process April 24, 2023 02:57AM
Hey Doc, thank you for the input. My comments about being family based I was agreeing with Dave. I think it is awesome going through the pits and seeing the entire family working on the vehicle even the kids, and the families in the stands. You don't see that at Nascar or NHRA. I'd hate to see us lose that like Dave said. That's why I do it, my entire family gets involved and works together on it young and old.

I just meant how do we make it grow and not lose that aspect, it is a valuable part of our sport and history. Maybe I heard the interview wrong but he made it sound like WPI was holding back in certain areas trying to protect the family aspect and preventing growth. Some of the comments in my mind sounded like we don't want to grow. I think we all agree we need to grow the sport to keep it alive. Preventing growth just to preserve the family aspect I don't think is the right view, but we definitely need to keep the family portion of the sport. There's got to be a way to do both.

Making events more exciting or adding more interaction is a good starting point in my mind. People now are always on the go something is always happening or moving it needs to be exciting and upbeat or they get bored or lose interest. I just think we could use people like Sascha and our friends overseas for ideas.

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 22, 2023 05:35AM
Freetime:
Like the historical nature of your posting. Somethings to keep in mind:
DPS was talking about past history and he was correct. NHRA has x number of members, larger venues, more reach from coast to coast ability to RUN every aspect of their events. No fairgrounds or fair boards to put up with.
NASCAR was run by the France Family. No board, no rules committee, drivers were responsible for themselves, Dave Marquis could wear wingtip shoes while driving!
Back in the day pullers/promoters made it easy for Wrangler and Monsanto to walk away for pulling.
Don't understand your FAMILY BASED comments. Is pulling not family oriented and events family friendly? Some NTPA sanctioned events may not be as family friendly, but that's mostly at control of fairgrounds/venue. I agree events should keep the family in mind with regards to specifc show and overall time of session. Lazer, shows, and music are more indoor based elements, but music and FULL PULL!!!!! indicator would be big improvements. AHOY pull even had cheerleaders!
Euro pulling's flagship event seats how many? I take nothing away from any promoter or size of venue. I always believe promoter numbers.
Party time v. family time can be an events worst nightmare. BG does the best job of separating, but there can still be issues.
LUCAS was very innovative in getting puller teams sponsor ships. Some by lucas branded products and some from sponsors who gave TEAM LUCAS spent money to be involved with a fully rounded marketing effort involving TV and event branding/marketing. NTPA is a membership organization, like NHRA, and really can't back competitors with pass thru sponsorship money.
agreed need to make event operations more exciting. Just takes time and money. MLB has a pitch clock...pulling 3 minute clock?

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 22, 2023 10:02PM
Doc

Euro pulling's flagship event seats how many?

You count Winking
Hint - there are grandstand in the tents, too!

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 25, 2023 08:57AM
That is an awesome picture of a very cool venue. Looks well laid out for the spectators.
Great crowd. Where is it located?

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 25, 2023 11:34AM
That is Fuechtorf / Germany.

[goo.gl]

The '23 edition will be this weekend and live streamed on www.wwptv.plus

List of competitors this weekend:

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2023 11:35AM by Sascha.

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 24, 2023 04:26AM
Some great comments and ideas above, the one thing on this is we all need to unify into one voice and push for changes in ALL Organizations. Bringing Pulling to a higher level on the National level is needed big time. The family aspect will be there as long as Teams are built by Families(and they will be) that's not controlled by the Organizations. The level of Money to be involved on the highest levels of any Motorsports in 2023 comes from folks of means. Meaning well to do Farmers and business owners...ie Families and they get involved to spend time with their families all Summer Travelling and having fun, this is one of the things I love the most about Pulling, we raised our Girls around the Pullers on the National Level, as did many others who we cherish as our very best friends, again that's created by the Pullers and not dictated by something Dave or Forrest did in a meeting. But...the costs involved to go do what we all love is ridiculous, and to get a win check for $1000-$2000 is an absolute joke! We have to get over this NTPA vs PPL vs Outlaw BS and be Pullers who want change for the Promotion of Pulling, support the Companies who support Us. I personally do not want any Sponsorship, it makes me take it too seriously and really makes it not fun for me anymore, I push myself to be perfect for the Companies I represented and I forgot I was doing this to have fun, what brought me to it to start with. Been there done that. If you do want and receive a sponsorship, work hard to honor that contract to the fullest, so that Sponsor can not walk away dissatisfied with Pulling. Also, try to educate fans about Pulling, so many Folks don't even know Pulling exists in 2023 its shocking, and telling of how poorly of a job we do promoting ourselves. Go display your Puller at a Car show, tow it through a parade. Take it an display it at Community festivals, get the word out, have flyers posted around it about local events, even if its with a group you aren't running with.We need mor TV coverage, and now with all this streaming stuff, maybe that can happen more affordably too, Pro Mod Drag Racing is a huge interest of mine, and its huge streaming, and the Sponsors are coming on board with it too. Keep the ideas coming, but No1 is everyone get on board with growing the Sport we Love.

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 24, 2023 06:22AM
Even in NHRA there had been a lot of family teams around. Just remember Mike and Jim Dunn, Force and his daughters, Kalitta Family, Kim and Dick Lahaie...

Re: Thoughts WPI NTPA PPL April 25, 2023 01:23AM
Stormy, I think that's where we need to separate divisions better. We currently have Grand national, regional, and state levels. The only difference is how far you travel and they might have a hot farm or llss class. Grand national should be the bigger money, bigger sponsors, baddest classes, and run everything on kill. Regional and state should be more local not as much invested not running them on kill in and out every weekend with more localized sponsors who want to see you do good but are happy just getting there names out there. Back in the day there were differences, I remember the grand national guys couldn't run or were limited running the regional or state levels depending on the class. There were rule differences so the regional and state was a little more budget friendly. But a few guys wanted more places to run or wanted to be competitive with the grand national guys once a year so rules eventually went to grand national across the board. That raised the price to compete and drove out allot of the smaller budget teams in my opinion. Now you can go to some state events and see the grand national guys if there isn't a grand national pull at the same time. What's the point or excitement of say Tomah when I can go to Weyuwega and see the same caliber equipment and some of the same guys?

Most recent example is the state/regional mini rod class. They had a good thing going but someone wanted to compete with the grand national guys so they changed the rules now there's only a few in my area.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,598, Posts: 229,641, Members: 3,322.
This forum: Topics: 37,060, Posts: 225,873.

Our newest member JD_8520