no subject April 20, 2023 02:31PM
And yet this company that I sold for had a problem with sponsoring me 23 years ago at the NFMS.

[www.agrinews-pubs.com]

Re: no subject April 20, 2023 02:43PM
Why pay for what you can get for free. Most tractor pullers are farmers, not all but most. Most farmers will not only advertise for the businesses they do business with but they will even pay the business for the opportunity to do so. Buying John deere or Case IH clothing. Wearing the "free" seed corn hat. I could give you several examples of free advertising farmers give businesses.

Nascar and every other sport on the planet does not do this. No Nascar driver puts on a hat or takes a drink of something at an event without first getting paid. Let's face it pullers won't get higher payouts and bigger sponsors untill they stop being so gullible and doing the advertising for free.

Re: no subject April 20, 2023 03:06PM
Did you read the article?

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 04:35AM
I loved the article. Old school and very best marketing basics. One of the main reasons for sponsorship.
GH celebrates a HUGE Milestone in a company's lifespan. 50 years. A reason to toot your own horn, have fun with some customers, create some media content and more...at track experience incredible.
Not being a jerk, no name, but what could you have given GH 23 years ago?
Tickets, VIP experience, social media, food/booze, strippers, (it is louisville after all) box/suite seating....
You could have given them the side shields to your vehicle, a pen, a patch decals and a rule book and your time. Autograph signage, breakfast, off site vehicle displays
(one of the biggest complaints from pullers with sponsorship is being TOLD they have to go to a vehicle display, which is asinine since it's the easiest thing you can do)
Over the years branding and advertising have oddly morphed into meaning the same thing. You wearing a "free" seed corn hat is branding. Yes, it could be advertising, cuz it was paid for, but what is the message "free" seed corn wants to convey. Hats? Every sponsor sponsor has lots of hats. It's cheap and easy branding at an event.
GoodYear and Pennzoil had free shirts at NASCAR races, impressive to see you whole section in your team colors.
If I'm an NTPA puller and have been competing for more than a couple years, I would find a way to get sponsorship for TOMAHS 50 year, your team sponsorship to their event. To quote Uncle Larry "just saying campers".

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 05:04AM
You say pullers need to work hard to find sponsors... Why isn't NTPA working hard to get sponsors? Or better yet, just keep what they have!

It would be an easier sell for a pulling team to get sponsors, if the organization actually gave a $hit about the puller and the fans. Something has got to change...And you cannot just be pointing your finger at the puller as they are the SHOW!!

If you think I am just blowing smoke, there is a lot of silent rumbling amongst the pullers with how WPI is conducting business. NTPA is no longer the only choice a puller has, you WILL see several NTPA regulars hooking with PPL this summer to dip their toes in the water over there. Good day!

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 06:16AM
Didn't say pullers needed to work hard. But pullers are competing for sponsorship dollars from youth soccer and the local dirt track. Puller have much to offer a sponsor. Just finding the right one and the right money is the challenge. Running the GN circuit should put you in front of the most eyes. How many people are exposed to pulling each year? million, 10 million? That's puling's biggest challenge not enough reach into population. Even if NTPA, PPL CS, OUTLAWS and every event pulling there still would not be the sizable draw that drag racing and dirt track, non NASCAR, events that are NATION WIDE.
RFD TV is the best reach into rural America and that's pulling universe. Not suburbs or big cities. TOMAH was part of the Milwaukee Summit racing Show Car series event during last winter. It will be interesting to see if there is any impact. Tourism to an area is a big draw.
NTPA doesn't look for sponsors. NTPA licenses pullers/vehicles, establishes rules, provides for safe conduct of events.
WPI has looked for sponsors. I have look at over 300 companies to be involved with pulling. Biggest feedback: Great events, price is fair, but you just don't have enough reach. Back in the 90's, pulling had good reach and was able to provide sponsors VIP passes and tickets to every NTPA Sanctioned event. Except in certain "member" states" who cried about being told what to do, but taking the CSPC sponsorship money less.
I can assure you the organization does "GIVE A @#$%& ABOUT" about pullers, fans and sponsors. Not pointing the finger at pullers. In the early 90's NTPA full time paid staff was over 10 people. UST, Kendall, Chevrolet, Enderle, Crower, and a host of others sponsored NTPA Pulling. Every sponsor has received over and above their contracted metrix. Not many groups can say that.
NOW WPI/NTPA has less than 10 people and works with a dedicated bare bones staff. Sponsorship deliverables have changed a lot in the past decade.
Something that has NEVER changed, it's been a constant since USHRA, Redman, ATPA, LOPPL, PPL, Outlaw, Full Pull etc. have been around for pullers to change their schedules and pull with a different group.
next time "Think before you speak" try a xanax. Good day to you!

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 07:32AM
GN, RN, State Level They all have the same crowds. There are several State Level events that even have a better crowds! Running GN doesn't mean anything to anyone anymore. Seems like if you look at the end of season points, there are only ever 6 or so vehicles that ever chase points. That's real prestigious.....

RFD TV is the best reach into rural America and that's pulling universe.

^MAVTV has done 1000x more than what RFD has ever done!!

NTPA doesn't look for sponsors. WPI has looked for sponsors. I have look at over 300 companies to be involved with pulling. Biggest feedback: Great events, price is fair, but you just don't have enough reach. Back in the 90's, pulling had good reach and was able to provide sponsors VIP passes and tickets to every NTPA Sanctioned event. Except in certain "member" states" who cried about being told what to do, but taking the CSPC sponsorship money less.

^All the above are excuses!!!!

I can assure you the organization does "GIVE A @#$%& ABOUT" about pullers, fans and sponsors. Not pointing the finger at pullers. In the early 90's NTPA full time paid staff was over 10 people. UST, Kendall, Chevrolet, Enderle, Crower, and a host of others sponsored NTPA Pulling. Every sponsor has received over and above their contracted metrix. Not many groups can say that.

^You're stuck in the past man!!

NOW WPI/NTPA has less than 10 people and works with a dedicated bare bones staff. Sponsorship deliverables have changed a lot in the past decade.

^And what WPI/NTPA is doing now ain't working so hot is it.....

This is not just a bash against NTPA either, PPL, Outlaws, etc, the entire sport sucks from an entertainment standpoint. My family cannot stay out past 1030p before the kids get tired, and there is still a class and a half to go. Not to mention the pull started 20 mins late.

But Doc, do not spout off saying how NTPA is the leader in the pulling world. Nobody cares to hear it.

PPL has surpassed NTPA when it comes to marketing and promotion of the sport and they will continue to do so unless NTPA/WPI changes their tune.

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 09:06AM
5% is the number to remember. After years of dealing with public, running companies, being involved with different organization, etc you will only get 5%. Let me explain. My company donated to a city project that was building a playground for kids with disabilities. When the topic gets brought up about this playground, 95% of the public will tell you why it's not needed, or cost to much, or should be built somewhere else, etc. We did it for the 5%. Look at pulling, When a spectator goes to an event, How many of the passes they watched were that WOW moment, about 5%. When a puller goes to ask companies/businesses to sponsor, what percentage is successful, 5%. Every puller has there way to "fix" pulling. How many are changing and trying there way, 5%. I am not saying this to be negative, but every puller is not giving 100%, 100% of the time. You watch social media, go to events, and talk to pullers, you can usually tell who is trying to make things better ang giving 100%. And it isn't that every puller has to be giving 100%, it's that only 5% are.

To: think before you speak. Yes I do feel pullers need to work harder for sponsors if they want additional money for their tractor. Organizations should be trying for sponsors for payouts, pullers look for sponsors to pay for the vehicles. It's 2 different things. Everyone wants to compare pulling to Nascar. Okay then, Big Nascar times have a crew of full time people dedicated to bringing in billions of sponsorship dollars. Nascar teams would never make it off of payouts.

How many people are involved with an organization and make the comment that only 5% do all the work? The biggest issue is not letting the 95% ruin the 5%

Re: no subject April 26, 2023 06:04AM
POPPL did a lot in sponsors activation across many platforms.
Not sure what MAVTV DID 1000 % MORE than RFDTV? RFDTV Does run promos. Please help me understand MAVTVS iimpact?
MAVTV has been relaunched but, does seem to include pulling. MAVTV on Floracing?
Past statements are for context. Sponsorship was an easier sell back in the olden times.
I agree that cutting time and providing an entertaining show is the biggest challenge in front of pulling.
Ntpapull works hard at continuing to find support for pullers.
Yep puller will continue to run a schedule most beneficial to them and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Pulling had it's chance and blew it April 30, 2023 02:34AM
Doc Riley
Didn't say pullers needed to work hard. But pullers are competing for sponsorship dollars from youth soccer and the local dirt track. Puller have much to offer a sponsor. Just finding the right one and the right money is the challenge. Running the GN circuit should put you in front of the most eyes. How many people are exposed to pulling each year? million, 10 million? That's puling's biggest challenge not enough reach into population. Even if NTPA, PPL CS, OUTLAWS and every event pulling there still would not be the sizable draw that drag racing and dirt track, non NASCAR, events that are NATION WIDE.
RFD TV is the best reach into rural America and that's pulling universe. Not suburbs or big cities. TOMAH was part of the Milwaukee Summit racing Show Car series event during last winter. It will be interesting to see if there is any impact. Tourism to an area is a big draw.
NTPA doesn't look for sponsors. NTPA licenses pullers/vehicles, establishes rules, provides for safe conduct of events.
WPI has looked for sponsors. I have look at over 300 companies to be involved with pulling. Biggest feedback: Great events, price is fair, but you just don't have enough reach. Back in the 90's, pulling had good reach and was able to provide sponsors VIP passes and tickets to every NTPA Sanctioned event. Except in certain "member" states" who cried about being told what to do, but taking the CSPC sponsorship money less.
Something that has NEVER changed, it's been a constant since USHRA, Redman, ATPA, LOPPL, PPL, Outlaw, Full Pull etc. have been around for pullers to change their schedules and pull with a different group.
next time "Think before you speak" try a xanax. Good day to you!

The leadership in the '80's through early 2000's blew it. They did have reach and there were sponsorship opportunities but they failed to differentiate Dave Banter, Danny Dean, Esdon Lehn, Leo Kay, Tim Engler, Gardner Stone, Warren Rope, etc etc from the farm stock puller at the county fair. They had an incredible collection of marketable machines and characters and decided to get all the membership money they could. It wasn't a failure of the pullers, it was a failure of leadership. A guy who lost his John Deere dealership ffs was put in charge by his friends. It ain't never coming back now. The reach is lost.

Re: no subject, re; MAV TV April 22, 2023 11:09AM
Anyone noticed no pulling on MAV lately?
Seems to be all motorcycles, all the time.
A little Madera racing, some go-karts.
No pulling.

Re: no subject, re; MAV TV April 26, 2023 05:36AM
There is no more MAVTV. Programming is now Floracing live stream. PPL announced some of their events will air on Flo.

Re: no subject, re; MAV TV April 26, 2023 01:24PM
Interesting, I still get MAV TV.
Still says MAV on the screen.
I'm an old fart so I don't stream.

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 02:50PM
Doc Riley

At that TIME I GAVE them advertisement in front of A LOT of people for $250. And that $250 was like pulling teeth to get! Golden Harvest at that time kept asking me why I couldn't sell more of their seed. I told them because they were not advertising enough. I also told them that the product that I was trying to sell for them wasn't performing like the competitors. And as a farmer/dealer/puller, that fell on deaf ears at that time because it was something that they didn't want to hear. The article is total bs because Golden Harvest NOW is NOT Golden Harvest. It is Syngenta.

Re: no subject April 22, 2023 04:54PM
no name

At that TIME I GAVE them advertisement in front of A LOT of people for $250. And that $250 was like pulling teeth to get! Golden Harvest at that time kept asking me why I couldn't sell more of their seed. I told them because they were not advertising enough. I also told them that the product that I was trying to sell for them wasn't performing like the competitors. And as a farmer/dealer/puller, that fell on deaf ears at that time because it was something that they didn't want to hear. The article is total bs because Golden Harvest NOW is NOT Golden Harvest. It is Syngenta.

Bold, italicized, underlined emphasis, mine. - and my response:

It's like trying to negotiate with a gal to go out with you but telling her 1) she's not the prettiest gal you know and 2) she needs to go on a diet. I could really, really go off on a rabbit path here but I won't. You think it fell on deaf ears but they heard you loud and clear, in my opinion.

Plus - those who oversaw the marketing/sponsorship money from the 2000's are long gone. Measuring the current GH/Syngenta marketing moves against those that told you no way back then, well, frankly, is sour grapes...it's holding a grudge against a brand that clearly isn't the same brand as it was back then.
It begs the question - how much money do you think you would get today with this current marketing team delivering that same logic you used with the ones years ago?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,795, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member CBeard