Triple by pass July 29, 2023 11:31AM
The triple by pass sure seems to have a lot of problems the last couple years. Is the magic gone or are they just pushing it to hard

Re: Triple by pass July 29, 2023 11:53AM
The set up gets changed immensely every season, they are always dealing with a learning curve and finding weak points etc, it’s basically like an r&d tractor.

Re: Triple by pass July 29, 2023 03:04PM
They are 100% pushing the engine too hard.
No question about it.

Re: Triple by pass July 30, 2023 05:06AM
This is what I posted in a different thread:
"They need the Super Stocks back" - LG, list how many NTPA Region 2 Super Stocks there are. And who of them will mostly likely come to pull.
The answer is that is why there is no SS class. (That's pretty close to what we have today on GN.)
And yet Michigan only SS's back in the '70's & 80's had a nice class of them.
But apparently, creating more power, less reliability and increased tractor costs really helps in 'growing the pulling sport to the next level'. That term must mean extinction.

Re: Triple by pass July 30, 2023 10:32PM
I think what you're seeing is the Ross family taking this tractor to another level. I agree it simply seems to be a R&D tractor. But when it runs it is definitely a showstopper.
My hat is off to the Ross family, much respect for putting all the time, money and dedication into that ride. In my humble opinion Triple Bypass needs a spot in the hall of fame or history books.

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 12:47AM
Will it go down in the history books as the one that ended it all for dss?

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 05:08AM
? How do you gather that its "the one that ended it all for dss" be glad they haven't put spark plugs in it and called it a day. Kent Payne and the Super Rooster can run just as good as Ross. Bone Twister can run just as good. so your statement has me floored. Forgive them for taking it to the Next Level.

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 05:49AM
? for ?
? How do you gather that its "the one that ended it all for dss" be glad they haven't put spark plugs in it and called it a day. Kent Payne and the Super Rooster can run just as good as Ross. Bone Twister can run just as good. so your statement has me floored. Forgive them for taking it to the Next Level.

Spark plug side isn’t healthy either

I disagree with your assessment that the others can run with Ross. My assessment is that others can run with Ross if 1 of 2 parameters are met.
1 being Ross’ components don’t hold up and 2 he sandbags. #1 He will eventually take care of.

So I have a question for you ? for ?: How many are willing to advance their programs to this next level you speak of and where will they get the parts to do so?

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 06:24AM
Where do the Ross's get their parts?

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 06:40AM
Colin works at chaos fab

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 06:44AM
Brent Yaron
Where do the Ross's get their parts?
If you listen to his interview and who thanks, Wimer’s, Chaos and Hypermax. The same goes for Perish’s

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 11:16AM
Y'all missed the point. ? asked "where will they get the parts to do so?" I would assume the same place the Ross's are getting them.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 12:20PM
Brent Yaron
Y'all missed the point. ? asked "where will they get the parts to do so?" I would assume the same place the Ross's are getting them.

Nah, it don’t work that way

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 01:13PM
Brent Yaron
Maybe you should make your points more clear then! You seem to drop a lot of these then never come back with an actual explanation for anything

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 01:06PM
So you’re telling me that Bone Twister, Livin a Dream, Scrappy, and Super Rooster even Red Horse can’t run with Ross? I think you’re wrong. I don’t believe any of those tractors should be considered just a second place tractor. I highly ever doubt Colin Ross goes to a pull to sandbag either. I know there are sub par tractors to the level the Ross family’s tractor is at, but there are others that can run with them. I guess you’re implying that when Bauer gets his diesel super done it’ll just be the stone on the grave then?

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 02:32PM
? For Mr. ?
So you’re telling me that Bone Twister, Livin a Dream, Scrappy, and Super Rooster even Red Horse can’t run with Ross? I think you’re wrong. I don’t believe any of those tractors should be considered just a second place tractor. I highly ever doubt Colin Ross goes to a pull to sandbag either. I know there are sub par tractors to the level the Ross family’s tractor is at, but there are others that can run with them. I guess you’re implying that when Bauer gets his diesel super done it’ll just be the stone on the grave then?

That’s what I’m telling you. Hutchinson MN average margin of victory 2 nights in a row of 40’ with most of the tractors you mentioned in attendance.
Prediction: Bauer’s will run close to Ross if they can drive it. But probably won’t get by it much

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 03:15PM
?

That’s what I’m telling you. Hutchinson MN average margin of victory 2 nights in a row of 40’ with most of the tractors you mentioned in attendance.
Prediction: Bauer’s will run close to Ross if they can drive it. But probably won’t get by it much

Agreed. Go watch NTPA.TV from Hutch when Triple Bypass ran and put around 40 feet on everyone. And then go watch the Saturday session from Chapel Hill. Ross tractor almost quit and struggled for fuel (watch the smoke) and they still won the pull. When Ross runs right he separates himself from the others. Sorry but any other NTPA, Scrappy, or whoever else can't compete with him. F he beats most of the Unlimiteds when he runs!

And to Brent regarding parts......sure you can go "buy" what Ross has. First, you need A LOT OF $$$. Second, you need to be willing to break just about all you have to make it work! Nothing against Ross, but just think of what they broke on the track in public view; now think of what they broke on the dyno behind closed doors! Nobody is in this to make money.....but some have much Deeper pockets than others!

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 03:26PM
Any idea on power number Ross is making vs what the alcohol supers are making?

Re: Triple by pass July 31, 2023 04:14PM
KurtisCraddock
Any idea on power number Ross is making vs what the alcohol supers are making?
I’d put a pretty good wager on that he makes more when it’s right

Re: Triple by pass August 01, 2023 12:08AM
I don't think it's a money deal. I think it's more like utilizing resources. I still don't think it's fair to say they are the ones that's killing the class by trying to be innovators. you want to see cookie cutter where they are all stacked together, go watch the mini class.

Re: Triple by pass August 01, 2023 01:26AM
Im not kidding Mr ?
I don't think it's a money deal. I think it's more like utilizing resources. I still don't think it's fair to say they are the ones that's killing the class by trying to be innovators

The low numbers in the DSS class is a much bigger issue than any one puller. There's always going to be someone better out there. The Ross tractor does not show up at the vast majority of DSS class hooks. I think the bottom line comes down to cost. From what I'm hearing it it costs more to build a diesel superstock than most other classes and that you either (A) spend a fortune on spare parts or (Cool run for a while and then sit out the rest of the season after something breaks. I don't blame these guys for leaving their tractors in the shed or downgrading to another class.

Re: Triple by pass August 01, 2023 02:07AM
Face in crowd, that is the formula for class extinction. That has basically happened in state and region heavy SS classes and we are real close to it in GN SSD.
Since it really does cost that much, then why do it. It's called an exercise in futility and certainly blowing a wad of money that could be put to much better resources (to improve the course of humanity [food deprivation]).

I find no excitement in watching a class of 3, including the GN SSD. Fine, I will watch those cookie cutter classes because it means most of those pullers will likely show up to each event because their machine is still together (unlike GN SSD) and the competition is likely quite close meaning 1 puller does not dominate the class.

Do not take me wrong. I have really liked the SSD classes (yeah, I'm an old farm guy) but that class has gotten so far out of hand. Drop the horsepower by 2000, so those motors have some reliability and longevity and they will still put on a great show because the sled can do that. I would love to have a class of a dozen or so them showing up to every pull.

Incidentally, why is Kent Payne driving Mike Beck's High Tech Redneck?

Restrictor plates? August 01, 2023 02:14AM
NTPA adopted this out of the blue several years back and it got rescinded.I believe Doug R. was going to do something similar with Outlaws.

Should this idea be revisited?
Another option that fans would love: Combine the diesel and alcohol classes.

Re: Triple by pass August 01, 2023 04:43AM
fan 13
Face in crowd, that is the formula for class extinction. That has basically happened in state and region heavy SS classes and we are real close to it in GN SSD.
Since it really does cost that much, then why do it. It's called an exercise in futility and certainly blowing a wad of money that could be put to much better resources (to improve the course of humanity ).

I find no excitement in watching a class of 3, including the GN SSD. Fine, I will watch those cookie cutter classes because it means most of those pullers will likely show up to each event because their machine is still together (unlike GN SSD) and the competition is likely quite close meaning 1 puller does not dominate the class.

Do not take me wrong. I have really liked the SSD classes (yeah, I'm an old farm guy) but that class has gotten so far out of hand. Drop the horsepower by 2000, so those motors have some reliability and longevity and they will still put on a great show because the sled can do that. I would love to have a class of a dozen or so them showing up to every pull.

Incidentally, why is Kent Payne driving Mike Beck's High Tech Redneck?

Back in the early days the twin and triple turbo DSS tractors sure lived longer than todays DSS tractors do..You would probably have to back them down to 3000-3500 horsepower or so to make them live awhile..Todays turbos are so much better than 40 years ago I just dont know where the limit would be..I wouldnt even want to guess what horsepower the top DSS tractors make today but its a bunch...It's unreal what the single charger 10 Pros make.

Re: Triple by pass August 01, 2023 02:27AM
Im not kidding Mr ?
I don't think it's a money deal. I think it's more like utilizing resources. I still don't think it's fair to say they are the ones that's killing the class by trying to be innovators. you want to see cookie cutter where they are all stacked together, go watch the mini class.

It is absolutely a money deal AND a utilization of resources, or better put…..whom is allowed access to the resources

Big Money? August 01, 2023 08:36AM
People talk about this and make it seem like Rosses are killing the sport by spending their way to the top. Now I'm not real familiar with them until they started setting the world on fire with Triple Bypass a few years ago, but from what I've seen they don't appear to have particularly vast resources by high level pulling standards? They apparently own a short line/off brand equipment dealership in PA. I'm sure they do well, but I don't see any indication that we're talking Larry Roberts/Mike Conny money. Guys like that truly do have financial resources out of proportion to the rest of the field and if they dominated it would seem reasonable to attribute it to sheer cubic dollars.

But if anything I've thought of Rosses as proof of the opposite- you don't have to be the richest guy in the class (even a notoriously expensive one) to be the best. I've considered them an example of using limited resources wisely and finding success with dedication, intelligence, and ingenuity. Yes they spend a lot of money, but so does everyone, in every class. I don't see evidence that their advantage lies in money.

Re: Big Money? August 01, 2023 10:04AM
Under pressure my concern isn’t how much Ross is or isn’t spending but rather how much spending they will force and the ramifications that follow

Re: Big Money? August 01, 2023 02:38PM
Any chance the Triple bypass runs better because they don't put the turbo restrictors on (air filter)?

Re: Big Money? August 08, 2023 02:21PM
But if anything I've thought of Rosses as proof of the opposite- you don't have to be the richest guy in the class (even a notoriously expensive one) to be the best. I've considered them an example of using limited resources wisely and finding success with dedication, intelligence, and ingenuity. Yes they spend a lot of money, but so does everyone, in every class. I don't see evidence that their advantage lies in money.[/quote]

I don’t understand why more people don’t appreciate this!! This is the whole point of pulling- to see if you can figure out a better way to make a vehicle get down the track compared to your competitors. It’s not always about money- but the intelligence and ingenuity of mechanics!

Re: Triple by pass August 13, 2023 02:24AM
I am thinking what Triple Bypass is doing is actually very beneficial for the sport. They are pushing the parameters of innovation and this will lead to further improvements in other classes for horsepower. Isn’t what made Bad Medicine so famous and popular is that it was a breakthrough in innovation in its time?

Re: Triple by pass August 13, 2023 07:02AM
At least Bad Medicine could come back for a pulloff.
Triple Bypass cannot.
If Bad Medicine was tested hook and the sled got changed, they could come back later in the class, Triple Bypass cannot.
I guess I don't see how that moves the class forward.

What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 13, 2023 11:08AM
There is tremendous risk in rehooking with any of today's diesel tractors.
Heat soak/saturation can cause any number of expensive parts to stick.
Catastrophic failure makes a great video but a short pulling season.

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 13, 2023 02:18PM
When is inovation building something so unreliable it sometimes can’t last 10 seconds.There are many engine builders that are capable of building engines like that but who would buy a ten second engine.I admire people willing to take that chance,is that smart,some people think so.In the end it doesn’t make much sense.When is enough enough.So is this the best or just a case of willing to waste more parts than the next guy.Is it really any wonder why people abandon this class.

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 13, 2023 02:56PM
Is it worth it? Nobody is talking about the guy that is consistently 60' behind. People talk about the guy that puts on a show and dominates. When he runs good, he usually wins. That's the purpose of pulling is winning. I would take a tractor that can only make one pass, but has a very good chance of winning over a tractor that can come back and pull again, but not in contention of winning.

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 13, 2023 10:22PM
Finally.... someone said it! nobody wants to come to a pull just for second place! the feeling is most people is envious of Triple Bypass has become. It's not your average red or green. I know its red, but not THAT red. I bet there was a point and time the Connor brothers didn't know the limits of Bad Medicine and it had growing pains as well. I know myself; I am a diehard green fan. But when the diesel super class runs, that McCormick is the only one that matters to me. Win or lose my hat is off to the Ross family for all the time, money, dedication and Innovation they have put forth into the sport.

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 02:13AM
Question for just a thought and finally: Would you take it if you were paying the bill? How many times are you willing to pay the bill? How many people are left willing to pay those dues?

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 02:37AM
Interesting question, after the Initial cost what is a reasonable budget to keep a DSS running for an entire season? I would think that DSS and a PS would be at the top of food chain for budgets. More HP more maintenance, and we should all be thankful to the teams that are willing and able to make those classes happen.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 03:02AM
I have done a quick estimate of $6oo everytime I hook the chain. Thats not to take into break downs and repairs, as they are unkmown amounts. I run a twin setup. I have a friend that runs a 4 charger setup and he says that he figures $1,000 per hook. Thanks.

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 04:10AM
When I was first contemplating getting into the mod class I looked at one for sale and asked the owner how much it wouud cost per pass. He said he had figured $400 per pass with a three engine mod. That was 20 plus years ago, I've never figured those numbers out but I can tell that every year when we do our taxes I'm shocked at the numbers and they aren't going down any time soon. And we wonder why the top end classes have so few competitors.

S'no Farmer

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 07:58AM
Yes but with just a few down to earth limits put on the class it could be more interesting and the same show

Re: What the Shell ?,Answer Man August 14, 2023 07:17AM
Mr.? yes, yes if i had the money I would keep going. people do it for the love of the sport and don't keep track of the dollars. You'd be sick just knowing the amount spent on a garden tractor. I'm sure Colin and Jody know what is being spent. As I've said before; My hat is off to them. I thank them for putting on a show for me to enjoy. I know when Siefert's were running Renegade Deere every x amount of passes they were sticking feeler gauges under the cylinder head making sure it hasn't lifted from the block. I understand cost has drove Alot of pullers away, but for the ones still doing it and continuing to invest, it's awesome. I'm sure Bauer isn't going to settle for second place with their new diesel super when it's done.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,654, Posts: 229,730, Members: 3,326.
This forum: Topics: 37,070, Posts: 225,916.

Our newest member JD_8520