Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 04:26AM
After the way that Mini wreckd at Bowling Green, would it have not happened if there were a 2nd hitch

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 10:58AM
Thought
After the way that Mini wreckd at Bowling Green, would it have not happened if there were a 2nd hitch
It wouldn't have flipped, but he wouldn't have walked away.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 12:58PM
Here we go again..... where are you gonna put the 2nd hitch on a mini????

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 01:19PM
You should worry about putting the sled in the right cog. Or better yet what switch trips the pan. Better yet qualified operator.Instead of getting jacked because someone has different view than you. I was there and yes there is always a better way to do something. What… I don’t know. But open to suggestions. If Hans was mandatory, probably still be hearing from Dale.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 02:10PM
I asked a legitimate question & my name is signed to it.... I'm listening to suggestions this time. Dale who.......

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 02:51PM
Yeah hear we go again!!!
You should worry about putting the sled in the right cog. Or better yet what switch trips the pan. Better yet qualified operator.Instead of getting jacked because someone has different view than you. I was there and yes there is always a better way to do something. What… I don’t know. But open to suggestions. If Hans was mandatory, probably still be hearing from Dale.

Have you ever been a sled operator? Just asking.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 03:52PM
How many mini rod hitches have broken since NTPA increased the minimum size of the drawbar pins? It is my understanding that the two flipping end over end this year have both simply came unhooked, correct?

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 02:14PM
Earnhardt would be my guess !!!!

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 02:37PM
I'm starting to think having a kinetic energy type rope as a second hitch could be an interesting option to absorb some of the energy for something like a mini that has tight space constraints. They make straps that can pull out a Steiger and straps that are designed to pull out UTV's. I think it's a viable solution that would help absorb some of the energy.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 03:38PM
Have you ever seen one of those straps break?
It can be ugly.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 11:22PM
I'd counter with... Have you ever seen a chain break? It can be uglier. However the sport still uses chains... we just make sure they are properly sized.

Also, we're talking about a 3-4 foot (maximum) section of kinetic rope... not a +30' rope doing a huge recovery. Stretch is usually 25-30% so minimal stretch... one foot of stretch would probably be the maximum. It's not alot, but enough to take away some of the jolt. It could be attached rigidly to the vehicle in the center but zip tied off to the side and when needed the zip tie would simply break and it would pull from the center.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 03:39AM
If you wanna include Mary Kehl's spectacular flip down in Florida, the reason it did what it did, was the improper kill ring. The issue was addressed (again) and we moved forward. If you keyboard pullers had your way, we would have Minis with 3 safety chains by now...

We don't want a vehicle to launch into a crowd. Deal with it.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 24, 2023 05:13AM
I think you only read what you wanted to read from my post...

*But a change to the sled chain might be the direction we go from here to keep tractors from getting launched.*

This is where I addressed the issue of tractors coming unhooked.. Y'all's get feisty when you don't read the entire post thoroughly lol

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 22, 2023 06:26PM
Put some more weight on the nose. Make it a pull and not a race. Fixed the issue with the Bauer mini sled in the Netherlands. After they put a weight block on the nose and took a little bit of speed out of the start, the minis stopped flipping - Basically just a calmer and more steady pull.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 02:08AM
A second hitch on a Mini ain't gonna happen. Neither is a safety strap.. A Mini Rod is 2050# and that won't change either. But a change to the sled chain might be the direction we go from here to keep tractors from getting launched.

In both cases at BG where the drivers crashed/flipped. The drivers had less than 10 hooks under than butts. The Miller kid had maybe 4-5 laps and Korporal had 7-8. Even though Korporal has a GN win at the Fort, it was only on his 3rd ever pass on the tractor. (how often does that happen LOL)

Regardless, there has got to be change made to a "rookie class" of Mini Rod drivers. Whether that is a mandated lower hitch height so you can learn to just get laps, or a licensing procedure, etc. Even experienced drivers can get out of shape, I get that. However, there is a difference from a guy who has pulled for 2-3 seasons versus a guy who has not even made 10 laps.

If you wanna include Mary Kehl's spectacular flip down in Florida, the reason it did what it did, was the improper kill ring. The issue was addressed (again) and we moved forward. If you keyboard pullers had your way, we would have Minis with 3 safety chains by now...

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 11:21PM
Milller may not have many passes behind a hemi, but I am pretty sure he ran a supercharged small block mini all last season.

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 03:53AM
Might need to take a look into maybe making the sleds a little tighter instead of running them out at 380-400 ft. make it a pull instead of who makes it the fastest down the track. would solve a lot of problems not just with minis but in all classes. JMO

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 04:30AM
Just a thought
Might need to take a look into maybe making the sleds a little tighter instead of running them out at 380-400 ft. make it a pull instead of who makes it the fastest down the track. would solve a lot of problems not just with minis but in all classes. JMO

Who has crashed one in a class going 380-400'? I'm still waiting for an answer on how many drawbars or hitch pins have broken since the Tyler Slaugh incident at the NC state fair & Richwine increased the minimum size of the hitch pins in the minis....

Re: Mini wreck at BG August 23, 2023 05:49AM
Keep them out of the crowd, yes. But otherwise I watch mini rods for the same reason I watch sprint cars. Let it all hang out.

To FansOnly August 23, 2023 08:40AM
Thank you for pointing that out, my thoughts, too . If you look at the recent crashes (Dick, Miller, Kehl, Korporal, this year and even some in the past), they are all new to the class of minis with not a lot of seat time behind 2200-2600 horsepower. Stuff happens in that seat fast. With the new chassis, it can lead one to be rather complacent with how straight they go out of the box. For the life of me, once the vehicle rears up the second time, your run is basically over....you are not going to place well, so why not pull back on the throttle?

To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 23, 2023 09:11AM
In NHRA, I believe you have to be licensed as a driver for the class; for Super Comp, you have to be licensed for that class; Top Alcohol or Top Fuel, ditto, complete with practice runs which I believe may include planned shutoffs for the first pass or two.

Is it time for pulling to do this, maybe grandfathering all pullers who have pulled for one season of competition, but say for 2024 or 2025, require something like this?

I understand the issue of needing a sled. Perhaps one solution is prior to an event, or at designated events, these licensing passes could be done during the afternoon for an evening show, no crowd, just the new puller, maybe a veteran puller or two in that class, and tech official. If not all classes, then perhaps for classes above a certain threshhold of hp, though the issue with that is a sled can be set for an unlimited to run 35 mph or a hot farm also.

Pulling is not the same as NHRA drag racing obviously, but that doesn't mean there aren't elements of other forms of motorsports that could be adapted to fit a pulling situation. Just putting something out there for discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2023 09:22AM by The Original Michael.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 23, 2023 10:24AM
Didn't drivers for the Unlimiteds have to go through a procedure like that until a few years ago?

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 23, 2023 10:39AM
Dirtfarmer
Didn't drivers for the Unlimiteds have to go through a procedure like that until a few years ago?

I thought I remembered Doc Riley say at The Fort in either 1989 or 90, whichever was Rodalyn Knox's rookie year, that she had passed a rookie test, but I've never heard anything about such a policy since then.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 23, 2023 06:43PM
Same for most of oval dirt track motorcycle racing (short & long track, grass track), they have to went through theory lessons, practical training, exams, and some final accreditation runs before they receive their A or B license. It's somehow effort, but their community in unison say that it's incredibly valuable.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 01:40AM
Honestly, I think some sort of training/education should be required. I remember the first time I hooked at a NTPA pull or any pull for that matter, I barely knew what I was doing and what the procedural steps were...etc. The only way I half-way knew what to do was by watching others. Even today you see some of the most experienced drivers messing with the throttle or gear box while the hook is being placed and at the end of the run backing up without even looking to see where the track crew are at.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 05:39AM
Why not have a clasp on the hook so it can't come unhooked?

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 09:58AM
To TripleAlphaProcess, I am with you 100% on your last comment. There should be something in place for training /education. Like you said, things just "work out". And as much as people are going to hate this, they need to enforce some things.You made the comment about guys messing with the throttle and gear box while being unhooked. It used to be and I believ still is that you had to have your hands to the side while being hooked up and unhooked. I do understand that some tractors you may need to work the throttle, but the other hand should be to the side. I know I am getting of topic, but when does it come a point where brake lights are a thing. You already have a backup light. If your unhooking the sled, it wouldn't hurt to know that the pulling vehicle has it's brakes on. Sled operators would know if someone was having a bad run if they were on them. We're not talking super secret stuff. You can watch guys going down the track hit the brakes. You can't from behind.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 11:34AM
Most other forms of racing have some sort of driving school that you must complete to become certified to run a certain level of vehicle. The NHRA doesn't allow you to just show up and run as fast as you want. If you have a certification to go a certain E.T. and you go faster than that, you load up and go home until your driving certification and safety equipment match the performance of the vehicle.

Driving schools are an industry all of their own. Most road courses allow you to pay to come in and go thru a classroom training before you get into one of their vanilla race vehicles to turn a couple laps. It can be a beneficial place to learn to drive as well as a place for fans to indulge in their favorite form of racing. Most people have heard if the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Is someone going to buy a sled, build a track and own half a dozen tractors or trucks for the paying customer to drive?

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 11:55AM
Been around
Is someone going to buy a sled, build a track and own half a dozen tractors or trucks for the paying customer to drive?

Simon's School of Pulling

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 24, 2023 12:17PM
Try this on for size
Why not have a clasp on the hook so it can't come unhooked?
It would be safer, yes. Pain in the ass changing the mouse out every 5th hook or so. They also don't like dirt.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 26, 2023 01:26PM
Bob Curren had one on his sled for both hooks. I never clogged up that im aware of never had a tractor come unhooked. It was designed so the hooker didn't have to get his hands in a bad spot.

Re: To bandit496, tech officials and pullers: Dangerous question August 27, 2023 01:18AM
Nearpass has one on his Mini Sled

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520