Farm stock pulling questions September 10, 2023 06:04PM
Good morning everyone, my name is Jim Davis and I live in South Carolina.
I am a tractor pulling fan, especially of antique and farm stock type classes.
I am currently working on writing a novel about a family who enters a tractor pull.
Much of the book deals with the human interactions, but I am looking to put a lot of fun tractor pull material in the story. I've written everything right up until they get to the pull event.
The tractor pull in the book is fictional and has rules probably somewhat unlike any real tractor pull out there, but the basics are: The tractors must be farm-capable, and have all original structural components and drive train, and the latest model year accepted is 1985. There is no speed limit, but transmissions are expected to be original.
What is allowed? Overbore engines, fuel pump adjustments, radial tires, and in heavy classes, duals are allowed. (yes, this is fiction).
What is not allowed? Any aftermarket performance enhancers including non original turbos, boost systems, etc.

So I have some questions. For any of you who run non-modified, farm-capable tractors,

1. What model is your tractor (or multiple tractors)?
2. What gear do / would you select if there is no speed limit?
3. What type and brand of tires do you use / prefer, and depth of tread, etc.?
4. What is the lightest class you can squeeze into?
5. What is your most successful weight class with this tractor?
6. Have you had any problems or breakdowns associated with competing with this tractor?

Multiple brands and models will be portrayed in this story, especially Oliver, International, Ford, Allis Chalmers and John Deere tractors, but all brands available 1985 and before.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 12:08AM
With your rules, I would think a 6030 Deere would be an obvious choice.

You would have a "P" pump and a larger turbo and still be legal.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 07:56AM
Unless it is a weight class under what, 14,000?

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 04:16PM
Dirtfarmer
Unless it is a weight class under what, 14,000?
In my book the weight classes start around 2000 lbs. and go up to 30,000 for 2wd. It's possible nobody will bother to go over 25,000. That may not be practical anyway.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 13, 2023 01:11PM
Not sure how but my last post is a few up the line. Hopefully this helps with your book.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 09:39AM
This sounds like a fishing expedition. If not, why is it fiction vs nonfiction?

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 11:53AM
1466 with a cab. 3lm turbo and stock model 100. Turned up the pump and adjusted the bump screw. Tractor weighs 12500 empty and we use 23 degree Firestone. With the clay around here we pull in 1st high and 4th low. I didn't bother turning it back down to farm this year and I actually think it ran cooler.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 04:23PM
Farm Stock
1466 with a cab. 3lm turbo and stock model 100. Turned up the pump and adjusted the bump screw. Tractor weighs 12500 empty and we use 23 degree Firestone. With the clay around here we pull in 1st high and 4th low. I didn't bother turning it back down to farm this year and I actually think it ran cooler.

Thanks, that's helpful!
I think you're saying it weighs 12500 without the driver--so it could get into a 13,000 lb. class. (Assuming there is one). In my book they go by 500-lb. increments up through 10,000, then 1,000 lb. increments up to 20,000. After that, 2500 lb. I'm not sure whether anyone would actually load a tractor up much beyond 20,000. I guess only if they thought the model could handle it. I think I've seen 20,000 done with farm stock before, years ago, but I don't remember much about it. They may have stopped before then.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 13, 2023 01:00PM
It's must be a Canadian thing. Too many Dutch immigrants lol. There is a pull in Embro Ontario that does it. Yes the maximum weight is 60k lbs. That is just speculation because no scale will take that much unless they go off site. No as far as I know there is not a sled that stop them. They use a dozen on a skid between the tractor and sled. Google embro tractor pull 60k and there will be some videos. Problem is once you seen one the next 10 are all the same.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 11, 2023 04:12PM
jd43
This sounds like a fishing expedition. If not, why is it fiction vs nonfiction?
I'm certainly not trying to get personal information. I'm primarily a fiction writer. I do write some nonfiction. I wouldn't try to write a nonfiction book about tractor pulling without getting more personal experience. I only tried pulling once and my little Allis CA stalled and wouldn't start again. I don't have any tractors right now. I understand if you'd rather not take the time to answer my questions. I'm just trying to get better info to make my fiction book a little more realistic than it will be if I simply have to guess. Spinning

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 12, 2023 12:32PM
Sorry. Driver included but no weights. My son usually pulls and weighs alot less than me. We pull in the 12500 lbs class. Around here we have farm stock for articulating tractors, open class is 50000lbs. The first time my son pulled was in a 835 versatile. He left the parking brake on and caught the tractor on fire before he got to the line. We got it put out and he was able to pull.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 13, 2023 01:17AM
Farm Stock
Sorry. Driver included but no weights. My son usually pulls and weighs alot less than me. We pull in the 12500 lbs class. Around here we have farm stock for articulating tractors, open class is 50000lbs. The first time my son pulled was in a 835 versatile. He left the parking brake on and caught the tractor on fire before he got to the line. We got it put out and he was able to pull.

What area are you in? I’m surprised a sled can stop a 50k lb 4wd tractor!

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 13, 2023 08:46AM
Farm Stock

Wow! Yes, I do have 4x4 classes in my fictional book, too. I hadn't mentioned it before because I realize it isn't as common. Crawler classes, too.

I would like to know more about the sled that can stop a 50K tractor--my fictional classes do go up that high, I've specualated on 60K max, though I realize not many tractors other than biggest Big Buds, etc. are ready to go that heavy.

I figured in my story they would use three sleds. A baby one that's good for the 1500-5000 lb. classes, a regular one for 5500-30K, and a special heavy one for the classes over 30K.

My understanding is that even the biggest green Steigers typically didn't ballast much over 50K in daily life, so for pre-1985 tractors to get up there you're talking some big frame machines to begin with. Does your pull have a lower weight class for 4X4, or only 50K?

And where is this pull held?

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 14, 2023 02:43AM
Jim, if you are not familiar with "Tractor Data.com", you probably will find it very helpful for you to take any given tractor model and turn it into real life in your pulling book.
Tractor Data gives you many tractor specifications - engine type, engine fuel, fuel consumption (sometimes), horsepower, tractor weight, number of transmission gears and speed, etc..

I went to your website and tried to start reading, since it stated I could, about JD-B and instantly Amazon thinks I am just going to buy it sight unseen.
Nope. I have never bought anything from Amazon as I have never been impressed with them, especially their high prices.

Once you have this 'pulling book' published, is Amazon the only place to purchase it?
Hopefully, you will first share with us some 'excerpts' of the story.

Re: Farm stock pulling questions September 15, 2023 02:06AM
researcher
Jim, if you are not familiar with "Tractor Data.com", you probably will find it very helpful for you to take any given tractor model and turn it into real life in your pulling book.
Tractor Data gives you many tractor specifications - engine type, engine fuel, fuel consumption (sometimes), horsepower, tractor weight, number of transmission gears and speed, etc..

I went to your website and tried to start reading, since it stated I could, about JD-B and instantly Amazon thinks I am just going to buy it sight unseen.
Nope. I have never bought anything from Amazon as I have never been impressed with them, especially their high prices.

Once you have this 'pulling book' published, is Amazon the only place to purchase it?
Hopefully, you will first share with us some 'excerpts' of the story.

Thanks--I do use Tractor Data extensively. It is a very helpful website. However, I don't trust it to give me accurate real-life weight examples for a tractor pull because there are many weight variables. It is my biggest reference source, though.

Regarding the books available on my website--those are links to the Amazon stories. Everything I have is on Amazon, and most of it is through Amazon Kindle Vella. Vella is episodal literature. That means you open it one episode at a time. I think you must have clicked on the one called "That Tractor Guy" since that's where I have something about the John Deere B. With Kindle Vella, the first three episodes of each story are free to read. If you want to continue reading, you can buy "tokens" in small dollar amounts. If you're a first-time user, they may give you around 200 tokens free. The tokens are used to unlock further episodes. Cost per episode varies by the length of the episode (episodes are like chapters). Most are between 6 and 20 tokens. If you buy 200 tokens, it costs $2.

"That Tractor Guy" is my nonfiction accounts of my experiences with tractors, going all the way back to my toddlerhood. "Pulling Apart--Tractor Town" is the pulling story.

I will be happy to give some excerpts here. Right now I'm heading to the sawmill to put in some hours at my day job. I will see if I can give some excerpts later.
Thanks!

(Moderators: I didn't come to this site specifically to promote my writing, so I'm only answering a question that was asked. I hope that's ok.). Thumbs Up
Jim

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,630, Posts: 229,694, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520