Wheel speed September 12, 2023 07:04AM
Does anyone have the formula for determining wheel speed using rear, transfer, transmission ratios and tire size?

Re: Wheel speed September 12, 2023 08:59AM
Oh mother... Eye Rolling

Depends basically on what are your input, what's your wanted output, and which units you prefer.

As I'm an engineer and (long time ago) scientist, I like to use SI units , which means
time > t [sec]
frequency > [1/s]
length > L [m]
angle > alpha [rad]

or at least derivatives of SI units , e.g. t [min] or [h] , alpha [°] , L [mm] etc

Lets play with kinda example, say you've an engine going 6000 rpm {in engineering language: n1 = 6000 [1/min] or omega = 628 [rad/s]} ,
and you like to get 55 mph wheel speed {engineering world: v = 88 [km/h] or v = 24.4 [m/s]}

Then you've to assume somehow the given tire circumference, lets say you're using a pair of old 30.5-32 firestone 23° pullers, which have roughly a static diam of appr D=1665[mm] , which should end up with appr. L=5.03[m] circumference {floored 1.6[m] x pi}.

Divide the wanted speed of 24.4[m/s] by the dynamic tire circumference of 5.03[m] gives you a wheel rotational speed of 4.85[1/s] or n2 = 291[1/min].

So the overall gear ratio from crank to wheel shall be i = n1/n2 = 6000[1/min] / 291 [1/min] = 20.62[-]

A tailored equation for that purpose can look alike
overall gear ratio i = (engine speed [1/min] / 60) / (wanted wheel speed [mph] x (1.6/3.6) / tire circ [m])

The above used constant of (1.6/3.6) is necessary to convert [mph] into [m/s].
For tire circ in [m] look in the available catalogues, brochures etc or take a tape and convert the units by yourself.

Re: Wheel speed September 12, 2023 11:31AM
Scout 700
Does anyone have the formula for determining wheel speed using rear, transfer, transmission ratios and tire size?

GarageBuddy App if you have an Android. Tire diameter, gear ratio (transmission x rear gear, etc) and engine RPM. Outputs MPH.

Re: Wheel speed on……??? September 13, 2023 09:21AM
I don’t know what kind of vehicle your after but WipeOut Enterprises has a spreadsheet that can help you.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,701, Posts: 229,801, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard