The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 04:00AM
The following are new rules approved by the joint WPI/NTPA Executive Board of Directors that are being added to the 2024 NTPA Pulling Rules for Modified Mini division. These rules will be found under F. General Rules, section 19.Safety, sub-section c. Driver Compartment, new 2) Modified Mini – all levels

2) Modified Mini – all levels

Both driver’s feet must rest inside the main frame rails and even with or behind rear of bellhousing while seated inside roll cage with 5pt. restraint harness fastened.
Brake pedals must be mounted directly ahead of foot rest and inside the main frame rails.
Feet and brake pedals must remain inside the main frame rails and behind the engine block plate during brake pedal application.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 05:19AM
Personally believe Bruce and Tyler's tractors should have been grandfathered in and enforce this rule for all new vehicles.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 05:33AM
No they shouldn't be grandfathered in. This is a safety issue

Re: The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 05:47AM
It's a safety issue for people not named Bruce and Tyler who have no clue what they're doing.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 10:04AM
Where did this rule come from? Who submitted it for the change? That’s an expensive rule targeted towards 2 vehicles.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 20, 2023 10:40AM
Looks like Slagh chassis driver position moves weight forward,big advantage ?
Safety issue ? Does it matter if you're setting next to a pile of dynamite or on
top of it ?

Re: The Slagh Rule December 21, 2023 01:35AM
What a ridiculous rule change.
IMO it is.. or lets say, if it even would be a real matter, it were a (in my world) a cat C item: drivers safety.
And breaking it down by that, also within that cat C, there are serious matters, which are dealing with life threatening risks, answering with e.g. fire protection, HANS or else. And there are somehow nice2have items, which may could prevent almost negligible injuries alike a broken arm or leg.
THIS is so silly, forcing a very small group of competitors to change their vehicles to comply with that issue. For WHAT?!?
As long as nobody out of cat B (officials) or cat A (spectators) is getting hurt, just let the cat C people sit direct on the engine, if they want to and everything else of the rules up to now is fulfilled.
Honestly, I already thought a few times that it might be (a bit) dangerous, in case of bad luck, that some of them could stick their foot between ground and a hot header, or methanol run during warm up into their shoes and catches fire. But, so what? It's their health, and the expected injuries out of such an issue are way easier to deal with than everything really serious else of the hidden risks.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 23, 2023 01:37AM
Carlson, one problem with your thought process is this being a performance advantage means that others have to do it, even if they don’t feel it’s safe, or give their competition the advantage.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 21, 2023 02:36AM
Watching the no practice podcast it effects more then Bruce and Tyler. Sounds like a good portion of the class needs to move there brake pedal locations which would also move there feet. I am also curious about the brake pedal locations, I can see from the accident with Sheltons when the gear box spun around you want to be careful but that was the gear box that hit her legs not the bell housing.

I don't get it, Tyler's rolled his over and had no injuries. Curious where this came from. Like he said being bigger guys (I don't think there that much bigger) they need help getting weight forward. If there was a huge advantage wouldn't they be winning all the time and everyone copying them? Kudos for them thinking out of the box and doing there own thing. Cookie cutter tractors get boring after while. I wouldn't do it though mine is crazy enough.

If this is what they wanted they should have grandfathered them or gave them a period before having to completely rebuild. That's why they lost Ken Vinney the last minute chassis change they mandated before this last season.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 21, 2023 12:13PM
Ken Veney pulled at BG. What are you talking about?

Re: The Slagh Rule January 05, 2024 01:30AM
Badgerfan

I don't get it, Tyler's rolled his over and had no injuries. Curious where this came from. /quote]

It's not because of if it rolls over that they installed this rule. I think it is to prevent a rod from coming out of the side of the block and taking their foot off!

Re: The Slagh Rule January 05, 2024 11:25AM
I will reply...it is not about the one rollover. If you could see the picture that really cemented the decision, you would probably understand. It was just a few inches away from being catastrophic. We certainly do not want an underwriter to see it. And it is not just the one Slagh crash. There is other video floating around with feet flopping outside the rails all the way down the track. Should other features like Zeltner's outside the rails be permitted? Maybe so, but then where to draw the line? It was a tough decision that took quite a while to come up with the standard (more than a year, closer to two years). And I'm not certain, but has PPL or the Pennsylvania group adopted the NTPA standard?

Re: The Slagh Rule December 21, 2023 05:31AM
I would say it has to do with insurance. The mini class looks like an awesome ride. I hope they don’t change it to much because that is when the class will lose numbers

Re: The Slagh Rule December 21, 2023 01:28PM
There are 5 of those Minis with driver's legs outside the chassis. Even though those pullers requested, they were turned down to be grandfathered.
The previous NTPA tech director should have done his job instead of playing his normal political favoritism.

Carlsson, your attitude about this rule change sticks! Your statement example: "methanol run during warm up into their shoes and catches fire. But, so what? It's their health". You are saying if said puller suffers severe body burns which affects him/her for rest of life or worse yet, said person loses life, it sounds like you will be cheering because puller did something that was outside of the standard normal.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 12:44AM
Dirtfarmer, If I remember last year early before the season started NTPA added a chassis rule to the mini class. I forget what it actually was, something about a tie bar or loop but in an interview with Ken he said it was too late he already had his all together and didn't want to take it back apart so he wasn't going to run with NTPA. He said the last minute changes were too hard for him with his age and doing all the work on his own. He must have added it before BG.

They touched on it briefly in the no practice pod cast about the last minute change last year but did not say what it was, just said it was a rush to add it last minute.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 03:20AM
It was taking out the horizontal bar on the side of the roll cage and making it a diagonal bar. Also, had to add a webbing on the back of the roll cage where it meets the base.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 02:46AM
You reached for that one, bud.

CP

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 08:05AM
@ 3 more: Perhaps you got me wrong. What I like to point is, that first of all, everyone of the drivers are responsible for themselves. As a competitor like them, I would weigh risks against potential benefits of such a design. If I want to use this style, with a drivers seat positioning in that way, I have to consider exactly these additional risks. And it would be somehow im my (as a driver/operator) responsibility to take care that I have my fire resistant pants on, wearing the corresponding shoes, and have extinguishers (or better: plenty of water buckets) right next to me. Even during warm up. If you think that this is an overdrawn attitude to take care about such measures, during warm up, then you haven't seen as much mess in the staging area as I did. I have seen people gettin' their forarms burnt, or glued their skin on hot headers, tractors on fire in the pits etc. But in the end, it's in the teams/operators responsibility to take care of such things. As I said, a cat C item. Don't try to rise the importance on a higher category level.
Some burning shoes shall mark somebody for the rest of his life? Come on, if these shoes will burn longer than 3-5 sec until somebody has flooded you with water, then you've got a problem with your team, but not a general risk related rule problem.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 08:16AM
While I fully support personal freedoms, the one thing that most likely the driver behind this and most rules is the agency/company that is insuranceing the NTPA and any other organization. The last thing they want is having to payout a huge insurance claim. Unfortunately that the real world that we live in.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: The Slagh Rule December 22, 2023 12:09PM
Simple fix to this is use the past fix,add 200 lbs to class weight he'll add 600 lbs,so with the nichols tires the driver can go back between the tires were he oughta be..minis shoulda never left 1550&1800.go ahead and crucify me for that,but it's true,it's damn true

Re: The Slagh Rule December 26, 2023 02:43PM
Dick, you are correct. One might say it is my leg or arm or whatever, but when it comes down to it, in the end, the insurance company will be made to pay for it, regardless of a person saying they will be responsible for themselves. You can be sure in any catastrophic event, the "survivors" will certainly want "their share".

Re: The Slagh Rule December 27, 2023 01:00AM
CPR if you were replying to me I was going off memory. But if memory serves right he talked about it when he was on the Beer Money show with you, I mentioned the wrong show in my last post.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so who knows.

Re: The Slagh Rule December 27, 2023 04:45AM
No, the one above you by "3 More". Your post was just fine.

CP

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,630, Posts: 229,694, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520