What Type of Steel for 1970's Deere Factory Style Drawbar? March 27, 2024 11:57PM
What type of steel was used in the 70's for factory Deere drawbars 4020 and larger tractors? I'm looking to make a replacement drawbar to meet pulling rules for a local club and am curious what type of material I should use. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2024 11:59PM by Stretch.

Re: What Type of Steel for 1970's Deere Factory Style Drawbar? March 28, 2024 01:20AM
Get you an old plow being scrapped and remove one of the frame beams. They are tough as all get out. You will likely need an anular bit of carbide to drill it. Or a good heavy chunk of cold rolled from your local steel supply house will work too.

Re: What Type of Steel for 1970's Deere Factory Style Drawbar? March 28, 2024 04:45AM
My friend is a machinist with his own shop so drilling holes is not an issue, luckily I won’t have to deal with machining.

I’ve priced factory drawbars and that is an option. The factory holes may or may not work for me. I’m looking to make an adjustable drawbar that the holes are set perfect for different adjustments for pulling with different clubs that have separate rules for length. If the factory holes lay out perfectly for what I need then I will definitely consider that option.

Re: What Type of Steel for 1970's Deere Factory Style Drawbar? March 28, 2024 02:32AM
Go to your salvage yard and buy a worn out drawbar or one that's broke off, if it's long enough, they usually sell them cheap.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,688, Posts: 229,793, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member Jason