MPH Classes October 26, 2009 03:02PM
I've heard that some in our organization would like to see a MPH class added becasue our current starter class is getting pretty close to limited pro. I'd like some feedback on established MPH classes in other organizations. What are your rules? CID, turbo, tires, RPM's weight? I'd like to know how effective it's been at keeping the cost down. I'd also like to know what combo's are competitive? Do you need a TA / 2 speed or are the single speed tractors just as competitive if the rest of the tractor is comparable?

Re: MPH Classes October 27, 2009 12:27PM
A farm tractor around 466 cubes with a good pump and turbo will be very competitive up to about 12 mph and thats where you have to start going deeper.

Re: MPH Classes October 27, 2009 02:25PM
I used to pull with a club back in western Michigan in a 13,000 lb farm stock class that was 5 MPH. The rules were pretty vague. No cube limit, 3000 rpm, stock appearing fuel system, stock "size" turbo (i.e. basically whatever you wanted), any size tires (uncut), cast wheels. I ran a IH with a 466, 13mm rotary, 3LM turbo, which put me maybe in the 500 hp range. I won the points with that setup one year, and the other top tractors were similarly equipped. Having a T/A certainly didn't hurt, but there were a number of other single gear tractors that were very competitive. The reality was that with such a slow speed limit, most of us had a lot more power than we could really use. My tractor can run high 3rd on 42" tires without much trouble, so really a speed limit around 12-15 mph would have been more appropriate for me and most of the others. But on the other hand the 5 MPH limit really made it more of about good driving and gave everyone a chance to win, regardless of who spent the most money. I think it kept things fair and fun for all. Since I left they added a 10,000 lb version with similar rules. You can check them out at .

Re: MPH Classes November 13, 2009 12:24PM
12mph would put on a better 'show'. I was at a pull with super farm, then semis, then an 8mph class. 8mph was not that entertaining to watch after watching super farm. I've participated, watched and shot video of classes ranging from 4 to 10mph classes. 10 is ok but I feel 12 would be more reasonable to put on a show without breaking the bank for the competiors. That's my 2 cents.

Re: MPH Classes November 13, 2009 02:41PM
Has anyone been using the LED MPH display boards advertised in the pulling mags? Seems like a good setup for a MPH class. Any experience with these at 8-12MPH? Anyone know approx. cost?

Re: MPH Classes November 13, 2009 03:25PM
I pull a 12,000# 1066 and a 7,000# 666 in a 12mph class. We have very few limits on engine other than 3400rpm. It has been a fun and competitive class. My 1066 tractor is 466, truck roller cam, 13mm pump and big lines and injectors. 3-LM stock charger. We allow water and alcohol. Limits on speed and rpm can be a excellent starter class. IMHO

Re: MPH Classes November 14, 2009 11:51AM
Agreed, MPH, RPM and tire width (uncut) limits make it easier to get started. Safety equipment as needed/required.

Re: MPH Classes November 14, 2009 02:24PM
where abouts are you from? i wish our area could come up with a class like that.

Re: MPH Classes November 15, 2009 11:37AM
I am in the Pacific NorthWest. I wrote the rules for our hot 12mph class here so I could compete!! There have been few rule modifications over the years. We still have fun and the competition is good.

Re: MPH Classes November 21, 2009 01:12PM
that seems like you have a hell of a lot of power for only going 12 mph. I would think that tractor could go 20 or so. why build so much to go the speed limit of 12?

Re: MPH Classes November 14, 2009 01:19AM
Agritronix, which is based in Franklin, has very graciously installed and let the JCFB use the LED board @ the Johnson County Fair the last few years-and it seems to work very well for mph classes. If i'm not mistaken, they had it this year at Brown County Fair as well.

In the past, they have used the Agritronix radar reader and box, but this year used some type of A-T GPS and box. Because the signal going to the board is reading in such fast increments, it takes a little adjustment period of visual VS. just audio of the standard system. Plus you don't have any funny business/local favoritism on the settings-it's out there for the world to see.

They have had it on even during the sanctioned pull, which seems to add a little excitement for the crowd (and some bragging rights in the pits).

It was rigged up temporarily in just a few minutes and it wouldn't take much longer than that to make it permanent.

Re: MPH Classes November 14, 2009 06:16AM
man this would be a great thing for our local organization. anybody know any prices, vendors?

Re: MPH Classes November 14, 2009 06:32AM
[www.atcindus.com]

Re: MPH Classes November 15, 2009 11:35AM
I used a speed limit system at our county fair for the frist time this year.It worked great. The only rules for farm stock were.No cut tires and dont speed after you get past the 150 foot mark. They had that space to adjust speed. Make them fast as to not slow the show down. The ones I used were something like this 4500-5500 5mph 7000-9000 9mph 13000-15000-18000 13mph.

Re: MPH Classes mcgee November 18, 2009 01:27PM
you can say that again about being a bunch of big babies!

Re: MPH Classes November 19, 2009 03:15AM
I'm from northwest Wisconsin. Nearly all of our pulls around here have speed limits now. It is the easiest way to keep things fair in the "farm stock" classes. One organization I pull with has 4 mph limits up to 9,000 lbs. when there were 27 tractors in 9,000 it pushed the end of the pull to 3 am. I'm all for speed limits just as long as they're kept reasonable. I consider an IH 1066 in 2nd high with the torque forward reasonable. Others don't. You just have to make limits that the pullers agree upon.

Re: MPH Classes November 19, 2009 12:53PM
If your going to have speed limits then dont dq some one when they know how to win with speed limits we pull all around western wi , and it is fun to pull speed limit just be far .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard