first self propelled sled December 12, 2009 01:18PM
I was reading in an old puller magazine that Thumb had the first self propelled sled in 1985. Is that right? I was sure I saw some earlier than that, but that's been a long time. Anybody know of some from earlier?

Re: first self propelled sled December 13, 2009 05:25AM
Bill Stacey from Missouri built one right around 1980. He used to do the outlaw pulls. It was called the Staco sled.

Re: first self propelled sled December 13, 2009 09:02AM
I am sure we pulled Bill's Sled in 1978 and could have pulled it one or two years ealier.

Re: first self propelled sled December 16, 2009 02:09PM
I go to church with Bill's son. He cant remember for sure. I will ask Bill next week. He clams it was the first self-propelled sled made. I think he built his first sled in 1965,or 1967, an old pull back.

Re: first self propelled sled December 18, 2009 04:19AM
If memory serves me right I believe Bill Stacy had the first self-propelled sled and I believe it was in the late 70's like 78 or 79 ???? I remember we pulled it at Washington Mo fair along about that time frame.

Re: first self propelled sled December 13, 2009 01:09PM
I don't know about self propelled but i know that the first sled was designed in,....i believe arthur illinois by an old timer that lives there.

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 01:21AM
Dave Hager was winning the race back to the starting line in the day

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 02:17AM
Kevin Sprecher(Big's father) had a self propelled sled in the early 80's. I took pictures of it while I was in college(80-84). I don't know when he and the Weaver bros. built that sled. I think it ended up in Neb.

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 06:16AM
I gotta go talk to KT, but was the River Belle his first self propelled sled, or was one of the Challengers self propelled?
The Challenger, that Tom Bryant bought was still a pull back sled wasn't it?

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 08:33AM
In the northeast the first self propelled sled I remember was the "Quick Silver" sled from somewhere up in Vermont. It had to be in the early to mid 1980's that Quick Silver was operating in the NY New England area. Somewhere on-line a year or so ago I came across a pic of it at an inside arena event in central NY and downloaded the pic. Unlike all the Thumb sleds of the day it was a fairly level angle sled and did not push the weight box up the hill to the front. Which got me thinking- does anyone know what became of Quick Silver? It was active for 5 to 10 years then disappeared.

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 08:42AM
Here's a pic from that event...

Binghamton, NY in the '80's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 12:35AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 01:10AM
That's the sled. Looking back it appears advanced in design ideas compared to other 1980's sleds. Anyone know what happened to it?

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 01:04PM
Tom how did u get your pic. to download on hear? I scaned my pics. and have them on my computer but cant figure out how to get them on hear even as a link.

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 01:25PM
First you have to put your pictures on a free photo hosting site such as tinypics or photobucket.Then you can move them over here.Remember that you can preview your message here to see that the pictures are showing.

Re: first self propelled sled December 16, 2009 12:17AM
The way I'm doing it is I am linking to pictures on my website using the "Insert a URL" button. There is also an option to attach a file when you post here, which can come from your hard drive.

Awesome Ride Pulling

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 02:21AM
Here are some pics of sleds seen in the Nebraska a while back. The one sled is the show boat it was a sister to the Riverbelle. The showboat is still in operation and works ok yet. I am not sure were the other sled is from.

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 07:48AM
That first one there is the iron anchor, not sure but i think he is from iowa???

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 08:29AM
Michigan Tractor Pullers had a truck that would drive up on a sled and hook into a fifthwheel on a sled then when done pulling it was un hook and drag the sled back with 2 chais hook to it. on the early 80's

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 12:00PM
This topic got me thinkin so I dug out my old copies of pulling power magizne. The oldest pic. I could find of a self propeled sled was in the august 1984 issue. the sled was the thumb #8 humiliator. I also found a great artical in the march 1987 issue on a truck type self propeled sled like you mentioned. This one is a 1971 F model mack cab over. It workes exactly the was you said the one in michigan did. Maby the same sled? This artical states that it was built in 1982 buy the western pennsylvania truck and tractor pullers inc. It was called the pullers blues.

Re: first self propelled sled December 15, 2009 01:27PM
this sled works very good,i pulled it many times in the mid 80's.tractors from 2500# to 4wd articulated pulled on this sled .it is still in use today in western pa.

Re: first self propelled sled December 16, 2009 01:18PM
If I can remember right it was a big dodge truck , but the time frame is about right

Re: first self propelled sled June 06, 2014 02:57PM
The western pa sled was built in 1982 but was a copy of the Michigan Mack and another truck type sled.

Re: first self propelled sled, to brian fuhr and c.s.r. December 15, 2009 11:29AM
That is correct, now called Iron Anchor, Waverly,Iowa. Dan Wiedemeier
Was previously Scooter Doodle sled from Wisconsin.

Re: first self propelled sled, to brian fuhr and c.s.r. February 16, 2020 03:29PM
The Michigan stopper was built in the 70s by ronny Ellis and some others from the monroe Michigan area it was a dodge truck with the transfer box on the truck and it would drive up on the sled and hook to a 5th wheel plate

Re: first self propelled sled August 27, 2013 12:58PM
brianfuhr
Here are some pics of sleds seen in the Nebraska a while back. The one sled is the show boat it was a sister to the Riverbelle. The showboat is still in operation and works ok yet. I am not sure were the other sled is from.

The one in the left picture is the Iron Anchor and I pulled is last labor day Sept. 2012 not sure if they're using it anymore or not though

first self-propelled December 14, 2009 09:57AM
As far as NASOA licensed sleds, I think Thumb was first and if memory serves me correct, our sled (Schaefer) was the second. That was around 1985. I'll have to quiz Dad and go through some of our pictures this weekend.

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 02:41PM
The first weight transfer sled was built and operated by Billy K. Watkins of Arthur Illinois.It was called THE POWER STOPPER. It was built north west of Arthur at his farm.it operated for a number of years in the state of illinois and indiana. it was just cut up and hauled off about 5 years ago. it used a old Brockway semi-tractor and a pan inwhich it would propel backwardsto the starting line.Mr. watkins had or maybe still does, a patent on the weight tranfer sled concept. the patent is registerd with U.S. goverment patent office. Mr. Watkins is still living in Arthur Illinois,at Watkins estates which is a retirement home in Arthur illinois. I think he is about 85 years of age.

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 02:45PM
So he would be the one that sued the other sled owners for "patent infringement" unless they could prove to have been operating a sled like that BEFORE he got the patent?

Re: first self propelled sled December 14, 2009 03:11PM
I do think that is correct.His sons did alot of traveling for a couple of summers.investagating on differant sleds.this was done through out the whole country. I would like to say the Watkins family are a wonderful group of people and would do almost anything for you if they knew you.

Re: first self propelled sled December 16, 2009 07:21AM
Yes, there was a law suit. He claimed to have the first sled that transfered weight forward. I think this is what brought all the sled owners together to form the alliance, I think they did have to pay a royalty for a while. There was another sled in the Champaign, IL area built to get around the weight transfering forward, that actually dropped as it went down the track. Indiana Pullers Inc had 2 sleds that were actually LandAll trailers and the tandems moved back to transfer the weight to the sled.It seemed hard to get set, because they used on site tractors as ballast and was kind of a guessing game where to park it on the trailer. I bet Ollie can enlighten us on how long the royalty deal was with Watkins. If I remember right, an Ohio group built a sled that dropped weight, but it never flew.

Re: first self propelled sled December 25, 2009 09:19AM
would this happen to be the sled in ?

Re: first self propelled sled December 26, 2009 02:22PM
Thats a new one to me. Notice is has NTPA decals on the door. Home someone else can enlighten us on this one.

Re: first self propelled sled December 26, 2009 03:24PM
yea me too..it looks very interesting,and has a small pan.but by the tractors in the background,it must have used a whole bunch of weight.the weight doesn't appear to get much past the drive axle of the truck,doesn't look to transfer much to the trucks front axle.i imagine this truck had a 238in it,and didnt all the cracker boxes have aluminum cabs,the truck itself wouldn't be very heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 03:27PM by patches.

Re: first self propelled sled December 27, 2009 10:05AM
Well thats not the sled I have pictures of but that sure is interesting. I just cant figure out how to put them on hear. I have scaned them into my computer but thats as far as I can get. Wish I could get them on hear. I think they interesting.

Re: first self propelled sled August 27, 2013 02:11PM
The Plainville IN Lions club had a sled name Papa Bear that used to be used alot . Think it got sold to Otwell Ruritan Club. It wasnt self propelled .

Re: first self propelled sled November 06, 2018 03:54AM
First self propelled sled here in Canada was built in 1982. Called the Judge.

Re: first self propelled sled November 06, 2018 09:42AM
Where in Canada is that? Especially since Canada is such a huge country.

By the mid '70's, in southernwestern Ontario (between Windsor & Toronto), a Dodge C-800 truck with a Detroit 6-71 engine had a Weight box on the chassis that was propelled forward by a big screw that was driven, I think but not certain, by the truck's transmission.

Under the front axle was a skid pan with a fifth wheel. At the end of the pulling vehicle's pull, release the fifth wheel pin, put truck in reverse, back off the skid pan and the chains would drag the pan back to starting line as the driver utilized the truck's steering system.

At the starting line, drive front axle back up on skid pan, make certain fifth wheel locked.
Thus, this unit was self propelled.

Since the whole 10 wheeler unit was short, it pulled hard off the starting line. Which pullers did not necessarily like.
But it was used for many years in that geographic area by CTPA and the NTPA Grand National pull at Cayuga.

Eventually, the unit was sold to Southeast Michigan Pullers and they repainted the teal colored truck red.

Defintiely a unique thought out and engineered pulling sled. If I remember correctly, I think, the skid pad after the pull's completion was then loaded on top of the weight box. Then the truck was road worthy to its next locale.

Re: first self propelled sled November 07, 2018 02:43PM
RC you are absolutely right about Billy K. Watkin’s Arthur Power Stopper being first. Truck had a kingpin mounted underneath it and the sled had a 5th wheel mounted on it. After the run they would unpin the 5th wheel back the truck off the sled which was chained to the front bumper of the truck and back down the track to the starting line then reverse the process for the next pull. The weight box ran up the frame rails of the truck, when box was all the way to the rear it made the truck so light on the front that when reconnecting the truck to the sled when the front wheels hit the rear of the sled the truck would do a wheel stand and slide the kingpin right into the 5th wheel. Billy always rode the sled from a catwalk right by the drivers door.Saw the 5th wheel come unhooked one night during the run made for a wild ride, but it was a cool machine. And not to,pick fly sh$& out of pepper but I think it was a cab over IH truck, but that was along time ago.

Re: first self propelled sled November 07, 2018 03:01PM
In the August 2015 issue of the Puller in the Legends section is a great photo of Sonny McKinnon giving Billy and the Power Stopper a ride in the mod class at the Illinois State Fair. I remember being there that day it was along time ago, fond memories!

Re: first self propelled sled November 07, 2018 03:27PM
Sonny is still taking it down the track. He’s entered in the combo class at Gordyville. I pull with him all summer.

Re: first self propelled sled November 08, 2018 12:54PM
Dirt Farmer: Glad to hear some of the McKinnons are still at it. When I was a kid in the late 60s early 70s Pleasant Hill was ground zero for pulling an they were right in the middle of it. They’re home pull was something you just didn’t miss. I live about 20 miles from there a lot of top tractors in that area back then

Re: first self propelled sled November 08, 2018 01:46PM
Sonny, Michael, Terry, and Sonny’s grandson Tanner are still at it.We’ve got a class of classic modifieds that numbers as many as 17 when everybody is there, and probably average 12-13. Competitive as heck. Sonny commented he’s probably making half the horsepower with a small block and a single carb that he made with a big block and a blower. Back in the day. Think he’s like 73 and can still wheel it.

Re: first self propelled sled November 08, 2018 12:35AM
The Iron ancor AKA scooterdoodle I built in 1989 in SW Wisconsin Sold to Weidemere in 2001. reference first self Propelled sled were the truck sleds back in the 70"s. Watkins patten ran out in 1987. Two sleds were not part of the patten #1 The Landoll sleds  the sled Daris Harms had that I think was built by U of Illinos and was hyd run.

Re: first self propelled sled November 13, 2018 01:13PM
Can anybody guess who, what, when and where?, And the name of the sled???

Suzanne- Let me see some guesses...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 01:15PM by super1.

Re: first self propelled sled November 14, 2018 06:29AM
Well here in Ohio, we had the Bo-Jo II. It was built by Boyd and John Phillips in the late 70's. It was built in Boyds welding shop in Johnsville, Ohio. It was a cabover Ford with the kingpin on the front axle. It was painted red, white and blue. Boyd built it long enough that the pan was hung under the frame, between the drive tires and back of the cab, for transport down the road.

Re: first self propelled sled February 17, 2020 02:47PM
THE FOUNDER OF THE NTPA.. THATS WHO..

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,805, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro