new profarm class in north west ohio December 16, 2009 10:26AM
We are going to be running a new profarm class this year in north west ohio and hoping to get some new pullers interested. We are going to have around 8-10 events with this class. Hopfully the rules will be posted soon at the www.maumeevalleypullers.com website. They are pretty much going to be:

10,000 lbs.
540 ci limit
no tire larger than 18.4-42 20.8-38 top cut
p-pump 3250 rpm limit
some kind of roll over pertection
scatter blanket (uncertified) helmet
wheelie bars

any input or ideas on this class would be great

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 17, 2009 12:18PM
is there going to be a different rpm limit for the guys running a 466? and what size turbo?

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 17, 2009 12:51PM
everyone runs 3250 rpm sorry i forgot to put turbo size on here. 2.75" inlet can run a slug water injection is allowed

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 17, 2009 11:30PM
Open this class up and you'll get tractors from south central Ohio and Indiana show up. Don't worry about cubic inch it wont get checked anyways and big turbo's make alot better show.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 18, 2009 05:11AM
You must put a cubic inch limit on it. Make the rules the same as another class within 200 miles. Our sport must get some unity to keep it growing.Div 10 from coatpa would be a good one. 540,P-Pump, 24.5's, 3x4 turbo, 8500lbs.fast cheap class. C.I. must be checked once a year and seal the pan.There will always be cheaters but you must have rules!

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 18, 2009 05:07PM
i agree there should be no rpm limit on this class and cubic inch will never get checked but that class that your talking about in the coatpa is light pro stock and thats not the same thing. and really if your going to keep the class cheap you shouldnt allow the 24.5 tires because then everyone will have to buy puller 2000s to keep up when the class is just soposed to be 20.8 38 max or 18.4 42 max. and at least run a 3x3 turbo.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 07:00AM
divsion 10 in cotpa dont ckeck anything whatever joe says goes

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 19, 2009 04:00AM
Trying to keep class affordable. RPM limit is one way to do this. We used an RPM box attached to sensors on tractor. Worked good. Divison 10 with COATPA is not a cheap class.Trator pulling needs an affordable smoker class that these county fairs can afford.Our purse is alot less than COATPA and still put on a nice show.They already have classes like this in Illinois and Indiana.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 20, 2009 02:43PM
y do you need all the safety stuff when your only running 3250 rpms then? a stock 1066 will run 3000 rpms is this just an updated class of the 10mph class that you guys had? and y dont you make it affordable and just make it a 466 class because thats what pro farm is or are you just trying to make someone in your club happy?

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 01:36AM
Good job guys on trying something new for the area to keep things interesting. Couple thoughts on this. No matter what cubic inch limit you make it, everyone won't be happy, but you have to start somewhere and I believe that is what some of the other clubs used to run or are now. My best advice is to get tractors, lot more guys will come for two hooks instead of one, and very few will come for 50 % payback with these type of tractors. History has told us that already.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 09:29AM
we went 540 because that is what some other clubs not to far away run. Tis class is a step up from the 10mph that we run some guys will bump up some will stay put. we already have pulls lined up with pretty good purse money.that was one of our issues was not wanting to pull only at 50% pay back anymore. this class will put on a good show! Thats why we want a good number of tractors at the pulls.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 10:22AM
wow. your clss sounds great. the very first post on the thread are rules I would love in my club. 3250 or 3000 rpm either would be OK. If it weren't so far from the pittsburgh area I would take a run up to a few pulls. anything out closer to me in the series of pulls you have lined up? The 2.75 is a nice size to go with the 540 and 3250, about perfect if you ask me. Maybe a 9000 pound class would be about the only thing I might like to cahnge on your list of rules and that is just cause a 10000 pound tractor is a bit of a load on some of these 14000 pound trailers which most guys have. if you have a website please let me know so I can check in on you guys in the future.
thanks

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 10:53AM
i personally would like to also have a 8500lbs. class with the 10000lbs. we were not sure we would be able to get enough tractors. like i said on the first post this is the first year for this class. that is why we are on here to get opinions from other pullers close toour area and out of the area. someone earlier said something about making it a 3x3 turbo limit. our rule is 2.75 inlet. you can run a 3x3 just put a slug in it.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 11:07AM
why 2.75 3 inch chargers are easier to come by and the run harder for a better show

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 11:08AM
the 2.75 is definitely a better choice than 3x3. really for one big reason. If you are not going to check the 540 cubic inch limit, whch I am guessing you will not, the the 2.75 will hold down a tractor running more than 540. do you have info available for the sensor and display for the rpm checking? lots of clubs could use the info and trying to do the same thing

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 12:25PM
We are using an RPM box and sensor that attaches to the dampner on tractor. Got these from Sheid Diesel, Terre Haute, Indiana. Phone 800-669-1593. Comes as a kit; easy to install.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 21, 2009 05:04PM
At 540 it will pretty much be a red show. Is there any way to let the 6030's, Case 585's, Massey and Oliver V8's, and MM in and keep everyone competitive. Sure would be nice to see all the different colors in there. Would the 2.75 limit alone do it without the 540 cube limit or would the 6030's run away with it? Maybe over 540 and under 680 run a little smaller slug in the turbo than 2.75. Anyone know or ever try that. Turbo's a lot easier to check than pumping for cubic inch. The more the merry-er and better show. I just don't want to see a class that is all one color.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 12:33AM
I think a 2.75 charger would hold the class down and eliminate the need for a cube limit, but that is my opinion and I am not in the club.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 12:38AM
why not try it 466 and down 3 inch 466 and up 2.75

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 06:29AM
i agree with that, 466 should be able to run a 3 in 3 out and anything bigger should be the 2.75 and anyhow most people dont run a true 6030 and if ya do you can still put a 531 in them so deere has a motor too

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 11:56AM
I like what you guys are coming up with. now we are wandering which would be a better way to even the class up.
1.No cube limit everyone runs a 2.75" turbo but a up to a 466 ci can run like 3500 rpm up to 540 3250 rpm and over 540 run 3000rpm someting like that would be alot easier to police because we already check rpm on every tractor when there pull is done. (or what ever the rpms are decided)
2.Everyone runs 3250 rpm but 466 ci and under can run a 3" charger and over 466 runs a 2.75" charger and over 540 runs 2.5" turbo.

Do these sound realistic? Should we keep the 540 limit and just equal out the up to 466 ci and up to 540 cubic inch? These are the opinions we are looking for thanks!

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 12:44PM
Has any club tried useing draw bar hieghts to regulate for smaller and bigger cubes to help keep the class more even?
466 and less run 20 inch draw bar
466 and bigger run a 18 inch draw bar

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 12:54PM
First thing you have to ask yourselves. Are you going to actually check cubic inch? How will you check cubic inch when someone from out of the area shows up? I think you have to make a class that accomodates all pullers that show up and I do not think you will be able to chech cubic inch. so, my opinion is that you restrict the charger to 2.75 and 3000 or 3250 rpm. 3000 would be more popular probably as that is a standard that is being set around the country. don't worry about cubes. let folks use a reducer if their charger is too big. 3000 rpm and a 2.75 charger will work well with a engine up to aound 600 cubes, or a 540 at 3250 rpm. more cubes than that will not get enough air from a 2.75 so that will even the field. There will be some tractors that will have an advantage if running bug cubes and a 2.75 inlet and say a 3.25 or 3.5 outlet but generally it will be pretty even.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 01:10PM
I posted this on another thread by mistake: I don't understand why so many people want to go 640 cid. Some say it's to get the 6030 Deere in, but didn't the 6030 come with a 531, not a 619? So wouldn't the 540 class be much easier for a 6030? As far as the Molines, take a 585 and sleeve it down to 4-9/16 bore, and you are at 540, or try a bored 504 (good luck). Just my opinion, but if you are starting a new class, why have the rules that are the same as another class? If you want 640 cid and 3x3 charger, why not just go pull superfarm? Just my opinion from the brush.....

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 03:35PM
Or destroke the MM 585...

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 22, 2009 02:30PM
How are you really going to know what cubes I have? I could easily tell you it's 466. Yet only I know it's say 585. Now I have extra R's to crank and I'll kick everybody's butt, unless there are some others operating secretly like me.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 23, 2009 01:48AM
no matter what the rules are people are gunna be mad about them, but pro farm by definition is a 466 cubic inch class. if you knew people would be honest you could run different size turbos and different rpms to make up for the cubic inch difference. maybe all the tractors should run a 3 inch outlet on their turbo that would help limit them

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 23, 2009 04:09AM
the Badger profarm runs 640 against 466 tractors and the only difference between the two motors is that the tractors over 466 have to slug off the map rings. all the tractors are very competitive and within a few feet of each other.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 23, 2009 04:47AM
I think if you had a 2.75 inlet x 3.0 outlet it would even the class up pretty good.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 24, 2009 03:52PM
I can think of 2 6030's, a 2805, an Oliver 2255, and 2 binders in your area that could be interested in that class that all of them are over the 540. I've helped pump to check cubes before and it only takes about two minutes to check, but it takes the tractor owner about 45 minutes apart and back together to do it. You have to pull injector and back off rockers on cylinder you want to check. We used to do it on first pull of year. It's a big inconvenience you would probably like to stay away from. It will be nice to have a class that might bring in some spectators. I've always wondered if a 6500 lbs class, 320 cube limit turboed, unlimited cubes nat asp., unlimited RPM, 18.4 cuts would fly. Would have some speed on the track, cheaper to build, lots of different colors, lighter to haul, and the div 5 tractors would fit in like the MM with the 800's. We could see turboed IH 560, super M, 656, 666, AC 180, 190, Oliver 88, 1650 and more, nat asp MM and case. JD wouldn't have much that would fit in other than 3010-3020 though. Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 26, 2009 01:05AM
I see a big problem with different cubes running different rpms and chargers.Without checking cubes,you will see more 466's come out of the woodwork then ever.Everybody will now "claim" a 466.From what I understand,maybe this has changed lately,but MVP changed their operation last year and decided to just pull in wauseon,oh.Is this still the situation?Or are they going to try to get back the pulls they lost last year?How many hooks for 2010 are committed at this time?Its not cost effective to build a tractor for only 3-4 pulls a year.If your new class has rules identical to some other groups in the area then you will get numbers.But if this new class is "a little of this class and a little of that class" then numbers will be down.Keep uniformity.

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 26, 2009 01:59AM
I agree it makes more more sense to have a class about anyone can pull in and is easy to check. run them like the badger state. measure turbocharger size, check hitch hieght and run them over the scales and hook em up. easy and quick and about anyone can pull. not even reasonable to check cubes. not even the NTPA checks cubes. the charger and rpm will even it out

Re: new profarm class in north west ohio December 31, 2009 02:23PM
In western ny we are starting a class of 480cid(lets hercules479 in) ,2.75 turbo inlet,3200rpm(any higher requires steel flywheels!), 20.8 x 38s any cut, @ 10,700 lbs. ,wheelie bars,scatter blankets,air shut off,fuel dump. allowing a-pump, maybe p-pump with smaller charger and or less rpm.this may work up to 540 cubes also.would be nice to have the same type of rules in neighboring states! this class is designed to be a starter class for our Heavy pro-farm class @ 505cid,3x3,all safety,24.5s and 540@3500 rpm, p-pumps @ 10,000 lbs. lowering to 9700 in 2011. we also run a 410 cid ,2.5 turbo,3200 rpm,a-pump ,18 x38 any cut class called light pro-farm @ 6700 lbs as a stepping stone for our LLSS class.

Hey Maumee Puller December 26, 2009 02:14AM
Check out these rules. If you guys could make your rules similar to ours, we all could pull both places. Sounds like the tires and the rpm limit are the only differences. We're always looking for more hooks to go to, and we'd welcome you to come pull with us. It's usually a $500 garunteed minimum purse.

I would caution you on the differing rpm limits for different cubic inches. That would just complicate enforcement, and if you have no way to check cubic inches, everyone will say they are 466 and run the higher rpm's anyways. We were down that rpm limit road and we found if you keep it at 2.75" inlet you will limit your rpm's somewhat anyways. 3800 to 4000 is about as high as you'll see tractors go in this class and that's without a limit.

Here's our rules...

10,000lb. Hot Farm Tractors:

Engines:
1. Maximum 540 cubic inch limit, 1% tolerance.
2. Single nozzle, water injection allowed. Driver must be willing to drink own water..
3. Factory aftercooler allowed. AGRICULTURE USE ONLY.
4. Turbos limited to 3" inlet, 31/2" outlet, no waste gates. Wheel must rotate in the bore.
5. No additional openings in compressors housing outside the 3" opening. MWE groove is allowed to be open.
6. If turbo inlet is larger than 2-3/4" ID, must have a 2-3/4" ID (+ or - .005), restrictor plate, no taper allowed, round opening 3/4" thick (+ or - .005). Maximum of 1/16" radius in the bore opening.
7. Restrictor must be screwed and sealed ( o-rings or gasket sealer) to the front face of the compressor housing.
8. Inlet pipe must be the same size inside diameter for the entire length.
9. No spacer plate behind or in front of restrictor plate.
10. Maximum of 6" from the front of the restrictor plate to the face of the compressor wheel.
11.Factory cast iron cylinder head and block, no aluminum or deck plates.
12.Diesel fuel only, no additives or pressurized fuels, NTPA fuel guidelines 409.
13. Stock appearing manifolds, intakes and exhaust.

Hitches:
1. Hitch height is maximum of 20 inches.
2. Must be within 18 inches to 30 inches behind the center of the rear axle.
3. Must br ridged with no movement in all directions.
4. No more than 11/2 inch difference between hitch mounting point and hitching point.
5. Hook hole is required to be a minimum of 31/2 inches ID (allow ample room for person hooking the chain).
Tires & Wheels
1. Maximum tire size 20.8/38.
2. Cut tires are allowed.
3. Front tires must track rear tires.

Safety:
1. Kill switches are mandatory.
2. Must have fire extinguisher.
3. Must have wheely-bars.
4. Must have clutch blanket or shield installed 270 degrees 3/8 inch thick, and 12 inches wide.
5. Seat belts required.
6. Roll over protection mandatory.
7. Must have a steel flywheel and clutch assembly.
Appearance:
1. Tractor must be in stock appearance, hoods, grills, & fenders, (except injection pump & after cooler).
2. Factory placement of front weights.
3. Must have stock frame rails.
4. Must have internal brakes.

[www.michindohpullers.com]

Re: Hey Maumee Puller December 26, 2009 03:15AM
This is a pretty good class. I seen them at Edon and Fort Recovery. They put on a pretty good show. The thing that I noticed is an orange tractor can compete with these rules.

Re: Hey Maumee Puller December 26, 2009 12:13PM
I agree that rule uniformity would be good for the pullers and promoters. More hooks would encourage more people to pull. There is three clubs that could run the same class in the area, Maumee Valley, Ohio Pullers, and Michindo. My suggestion would be a meeting of these three clubs and see if they could make this work. Each club keep its seperate points competetion, just use the same rules so pullers can get the hooks where they want to. Some of you guys need to think about what is best for the sport, and not what is best for you. We are very fortunate to have as many good pulls and pullers in the area thet we do, but I can't imagine it staying that way with the numbers we had at some of the pulls this year.

Re: Hey Maumee Puller December 27, 2009 04:40AM
We were told that ohio pullers club did not want to go in this direction.
This is the club that pulled away from maumee valley for no reason and took all there pulls.
This is the club that told a 80 year old man that has pulled for fifty+ years, that pulled at his local fair not to come back becouse he dint have there RPM senser.
THIS CLASS IS BETTER OFF WITHOUT THEM

new profarm class December 27, 2009 08:00AM
Bullet fan i was wandering if i could get your contact info. I heard your club use to run the rpm sensors and have gotten away from it now. was interested in talking to you about it. you have a pretty good looking set of rules.

From what i am seeing there is alot of intrest in this class from multiple areas of ohio and surrounding states. We are wanting to mesh our rules as close as we can but every 75 to 100 miles has a different set of rules for "profarm" or "hotfarm" classes. If we could unify these clubs we could have a hell of a nice circuit of pulls. I may just be wishing out loud! We thought it might be nice to get some people from each club to agree to meet at a given place and talk about ideas on this class. IF anyone would be interested?

for maumee puller December 27, 2009 08:30AM
We used to run a 3500rpm limit with the sensors like has been dicussed on this thread. There are several reasons we decided to do away with it.

I agree with you, it would be great if we could all add more hooks and put on better shows with more tractors. I would be interested in talking about it and trying to make this work. How many tractors normally pull in the group you are in?

You can reach me @ (260) 410-6660

Let's get it togetherThumbs Up December 27, 2009 07:59AM
I agree with Skippy. We could do a lot for the sport, the events, and the competitors in the NE Indiana and NW Ohio area if we could get our rules all in line and cooperate with each other. I am all for it. We (Michindoh) are in the process of finalizing our rules for 2010, and as of now there are no changes planned for the 10,000 pound tractor class. If you guys are serious about getting your heads together speak up now and we'll get it done. Personally, I would enjoy going to more hooks with other organizations, and having other tractors come hook with us.

Re: Let's get it togetherThumbs Up December 30, 2009 12:44PM
Good thinking guys.Get together and try to standardize some rules.If there are differences let it be something easy to change like weight.As long as you dont start changing major things like turbos,cubes,etc.(but how many clubs can check cubes anyhow?) If everyone can agree on VERY similiar rules,you may be surprised on how many tractors come out of the woodwork.Not many guys are going to build or do drastic changing to their tractors for just a handful of pulls per year.What is MVP anticipating for entry fees and payouts for this new class?

Re: Let's get it togetherThumbs Up December 31, 2009 08:17AM
All the pulls we are having with this class won't only be under MVP i think we have three good hooks through them and the rest a fair pulls for a total of 6-8 hooks. entries around $20 - $25 and we are trying to get a minimum $500 purse. That is what is for sure right now unless we pick up some more hooks before the season.

Re: Let's get it togetherThumbs Up December 31, 2009 02:29PM
see my post above, ACLLSS puller , we are in western NY and couldnt agree more about having close enough rules to be interchangeable between organizations, let me know what you think of our rules.

Re: Let's get it togetherThumbs Up January 01, 2010 07:57AM
What we need now is someone to step up and take the lead. Set up a place and time to meet and try to work this out. Then all the different clubs that should be invited is staggering when you think about it. Just in about a 120 mile radius, some of the different clubs I have pulled with and know of are Maumee Valley, Ohio Pullers, Michindo, Grand Lake, Darke Co., COATPA, OATPA, Mich Pullers @ Saline, Group around Connersville IN., and I'm sure there could be many more. In no way do I suggest any of the clubs combine, just have 1 or 2 classes where all venues share the same rules. I believe the results could be monumental to have this kind of unity and would give local pulls and pullers the shot in the arm we so badly need right now. Come on guys, step up, work together, and make history. Pullin's all about the friends we make.

Re: Let's get it togetherThumbs Up January 01, 2010 01:32PM
Members from Maumee Valley, Ohio Pullers and Michindo are tentatively setting a meeting for Saturday, January 9, at Van Wert, Ohio. When we finalize an exact time and place, it will be posted on this site. If there is any interest in attending from organizations other than the three listed, please know all parties are welcome to attend.

Meeting ResultsThumbs UpThumbs Up January 17, 2010 11:54AM
Thanks to all who were able to make it to the meeting. I really think we made some progress as far as getting our rules to mesh between organizations. There were members from the Ohio Pullers, Maumee Valley Pullers, and Michindoh organizations present at the meeting. I think we have a good set of rules now that will lend itself to great competition, a variety of color, and great shows for fans. Detailed rules will be posted on www.michindohpullers.org . For those that are interested, here's a quick overview of what we came up with.

-10,000 lb hot farm
-540 ci max
-factory cast iron block and head
-P-pumps
-water injection
-unlimited rpm
-2.75" inlet on turbo
-cut tires allowed
-no larger than 20.8x38

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,685, Posts: 229,787, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason