Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 04:11AM
I wanted to know why a full pull has to be burried in the sand? I just watched the 1992 SS class on you tube. You could easily get a full pull without breaking a spindle. I dont expect guys to wreck their ride to try to place. Why dont they shorten the track by 5 feet?

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 01:10PM
I agree. It makes no sense to me why they would want you to break your front end or suck a bunch of sand in the motor when you'll have to make it back for the pulloff. But I guess they don't care as long as they get a good show.

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 01:16PM
Its all for the show,"put it in the sand"its the louisville thing.

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 03:06PM
that is the dummest thing i've ever heard. thats not a louisville thing? think before u make another remark!!!

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 03:16PM
no,thats not the dummest thing i ever heard,just watch the fans go crazy when they do put it in the sand

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville February 02, 2010 03:55PM
you must be just a fan that does not no what it can do to the tractor and that does not have to pay for the repairs or no how much it cost just to get there. better yet,your just a fan with dumm remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville-dumb? February 02, 2010 05:18PM
Not really sure how 'dumb' it is,but there sure seems to be a LOT of pullers willing to take the chance! They all have the option of releasing the throttle early enough to stay out of the sand.

Tractor and truck pulling and sand? It's an indoor thing.

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville-dumb? February 02, 2010 08:39PM
Yeah, it is a Louisville thing! It is ALL about the show. You obviously haven't taken a vehicle there! If you were to "break" a spindle in the sand, then get your stuff out of the way, so the next vehicle can pull and be happy about it! If you complain, you WILL not be invited back. That's their basic rules, like it or lump it!

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville-dumb? February 03, 2010 01:16AM
To mf180,

Yes, it is a Louisville thing. That doesn’t mean every puller enjoys it or every puller agrees with it, but it is a signature of the pull in Louisville, thus making it a Louisville thing. There’s no reason to get so mad or fired up or to call anyone’s comments dumb, in fact “quartermiler” didn’t even say he agreed with it, he just said that it’s a Louisville thing.

No mater what is posted, we can disagree and be civil about it.

Personally I agree with the original poster, I think they could shorten up the full pull line a little to keep things safe. I think the front tires just touching the sand pile would be a perfect goal for a fullpull at the Farm Show. Sure there’s something exciting about watching Tom Howell have such a blistering pass that he put the front weight bracket up on the concrete barriers, but honestly I’d much rather watch someone just get it to the sand pile and come back with a healthy tractor (as well as a healthy driver) for the pulloff.

First and foremost I don’t want to see anyone get hurt. I also don’t want to see anyone break their vehicle and either not make it back for the pulloff, or do some damage by sucking sand through a turbocharger/supercharger and then have a sick vehicle for the finals. Shortening the full pull line by about 5 feet seems perfect to me.

My other suggestion would be to double the amount of sand at the end of the track. It seems like the pile is shrinking every year, and the HP is increasing, a little extra cushioning would be a good thing.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Full Pull @ Louisville-dumb? February 03, 2010 03:34AM
Jake, Its funny you say that about the sand pile size. Take a look at other indoor pulls here in the midwest and their sand piles are a mountain compared to L'ville's. Think of Gordyville for instance, a huge sand pile and they don't even have 2WDs or Mods/Unl Mods who more than likely are producing more power. I think the size of the sand pile at L'ville could probably be increased significantly and no one would worry about it, just a bigger target.

But yeah, the sand pile is an indoor tractor pulling thing that might as well be called a "L'ville thing."

Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 05:51AM
mmztu2,

I couldn’t agree more. I climbed up the sand pile in Gordyville a few years back to get a picture of Josh Martin’s tractor and it was definitely a bit of a climb to get to the top. It’s easily twice the height of the sand pile in Louisville.

I use the term sand in Gordyville loosely; it’s actually more like a sandy loam, just a pile of dirt really. Louisville has some very nice sand, almost like playground sand. I’m not really sure which one is better; I guess each is good for the format of each arena.

In Gordyville if you hit the … um sand…pile hard enough you drive up until the wheelie bars dig in. When they dig in that’s the end of the line, and if the sled hits you it’s probably not going to move you too far forward, but it’s also not going to be too friendly for the rear of your tractor. In Louisville you can hit the sand and drive right through the pile. It slows your momentum but won’t completely stop you. If the sled hits you… hold on because you’re going to keep rolling, and those concrete Jersey barriers aren’t going to stop you, the sand acts like ball bearing and those things will just slide on the concrete floor.

The disadvantage to Gordyville is that it drives the tractor up (which is fine at Gordyville). Louisville keeps everything contained low to the ground. Louisville has those great seats right above the sand pile where you can catch parts from grenading Pro Stocks. Letting tractors plow through the pile is key to keeping the tractors down low, and the fans safe.

The bad part about Louisville is after one tractor hits the sand hard, the pile has a huge low spot. Dan and Danny Cristiani, Mike Witt and the rest of the track crew do a great job trying to build the pile back up, but despite their best efforts it’s still a low spot for the rest of the night.

Louisville is absolutely first rate at putting on a show, but I wish the safety margin at the end of the track was a little more, and I think more sand is needed.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 07:52AM
I pulled at Louisville a few times. Haven't applied in the last 3 years. Number of reasons that don't concern Louisville per say but the sand pile is one of them. My concern is not necessarily on a regular hook, Vaughn usually gets it pretty darn close (and of the times I pulled there, I stopped short of it so...!). I'm just affraid someday something will happen at 225' with not enough room to stop the tractor or truck from going. Besides that, pulling in Louisville is an awsome experience.

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 09:07AM
They didn't have much right at Cloverdale last year, but the one thing they did do good was to put a tarp over the sandpile-whether as a "bullseye", or more than likely to keep engines from sucking sand.

You would still get your show and wow factor at Louisville, but minimize damage.

My $.02.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 09:07AM by smokin4250.

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 12:27PM
I wondered why Louisville couldn't turn around and have them pull towards the open door. The track would be the same length, if not longer cause of no sand and concrete barriers. If a tractor had a little more zip at the end it could roll up the ramp. All they would have to do is put sand on either side of the door. It would suck cause my seats would be at the wrong end. Instead of saying "put in the sand". They could say "out the door"

The arena is longer corner to corner. Couldn't they pull on a diagnal. That would give them a much longer track before the sand at the end.

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 03:08PM
There are pros and cons about everything, but I dont think it's dumb. Hitting the sand is not just a Louisville thing anymore, it's a indoor thing. You have Gordyville, Duqiun and now the Keystone Nationals. If you are really hooked, you are going so fast it's hard to get out of the throttle. Some pullers that have gotten out of the throttle, either missed the Finals or missed the chance to win. I'm not saying this is the best thing to do, but you have to weigh the safety issue for everyone's well-being. I will say that there is no beter feeling than putting it in the sand. I do feel that the sand pile at Louisville is not adiquite enough, and could be made bigger therefore preventing damage to the tractor. However I do not agree with using anything but sand to stop the tractor at the end of the track. If you put the full pull before the sand, then the fans that pay alot money to see the tractor pull will not be fully satisfied, because that is what they pay to see. Look at how many fans are standing and cheering when the tractor or truck hits the sand pile. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but watch what goes on at Louisville next week.

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 02:49PM
why couldnt they just keep a clear piece of plastic ...a thin sheet there to stop all of the flying sand when u hit it ...IHSMOKE

Re: Sand at Louisville February 03, 2010 03:54PM
Not to turn this into a political issue, neither do i pull at louisville, but if there was a big tarp over the sand with a picture of obama on it, i would do everything i could to hit it lol!. But in all seriousness, that could be a prime spot of advertising even if its just a catch phrase from the pull promoters. Like since this pull is sponsored in large part by syngenta, a big tarp that says "plant it here" would add to the show aspect of it right????

Re: Sand at Louisville February 04, 2010 12:05AM
How many times are you thinking of replacing the tarp because every time someone hits it, They will put some holes in it..

Re: Sand at Louisville February 04, 2010 06:26AM
Yeah you prolly have to replace it a few times but that's not really a bad idea. Not so sure about the Obama pic, but that would be some creative marketing and promotional opportunties for companies! Think about it, a sponser does a blind draw before the pull, lets say the 12th hook (hypothetically speaking), and if the twelve hook in that particular class hits the sand (or tarp) then a fan wins a prize from that company. Just something to add even more interest to the pull! I have the perfect first sponser........duct tape! lol

Bobby G

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,793, Posts: 230,000, Members: 3,341.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,074.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009