Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 10, 2010 10:06AM
I have been told that there are some John Deere rocker arms that can be modified to work on an Oliver 77 head. Any suggestions on the donor tractor engine and the resulting rocker arm ratio?

Thanks
Rich

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 10, 2010 12:10PM
Check out www.murphysmotorservice.com. He has high ratio roller rockers for Olivers, as well as LOTS of others. I have talked to him several times, nice guy to talk with. I will be getting a set for my MM UB and our new arrival, when we get that far.......

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 10, 2010 01:54PM
I heard that too. Thought it was supposed to be SB Deere but I know they don't fit on the gas head. We decided it might be the Olly diesel head. Rockers all fit the same on both gas & diesel 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020, 4430, etc. so any could donate or you can buy rollers custom made for the 466. If I remember correctly the factory Deere ratio is about 1.65:1

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 10, 2010 09:05PM
Thanks for the feedback, I am familiar Murphy's rockers, just trying to do this on the cheap.

Rich

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 11, 2010 12:25PM
Does anyone have any other ideas on the JD rocker arms?

Rich

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 11, 2010 01:50PM
rich,its been a long time since i ran my oliver,but im thinking the rockers i used were from a 10-20 series gas.they had the same shaft dia of .750,and were a direct slide on . going from memory the ratio was around 1.65.i dont know if the diesels are the same shaft dia.i would think someone on here could answer that easily,and would know of different ratios.maybe starting a thread about small block jd rockers and thier ratios would provide better results.also in the for sale section there is some oliver 310 stuff for sale,the guys name is mike clark from indiana,try him he has been more current than i have on the olivers.

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 11, 2010 03:00PM
The rockers on gassers & smokers interchange on the 10 & 20 series for sure & I belive on all SBJD. I've seen a couple of different versions but I'm pretty sure they're all the same ratio.

Rich, where are you located?

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 11, 2010 09:56PM
Thank you for the suggestions, I am located in Western Pa.

Rich

JD Rockers on Oliver Head February 14, 2010 05:50AM
Has anyone done this? What does it take?

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 14, 2010 07:31AM
rich,what class are you building for,antique,the butler 2500,or mod stock.slide your old rockers off,slide the jd on.i used an external oil lin to the shaft instead of the hollow bolt in the back corner.

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 14, 2010 03:32PM
That is what I had in mind, but I get conflicting reports on which rockers to use and if they are a direct fit. This for an Oliver 77 pulling antique.

Thanks
Rich

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head February 15, 2010 04:21AM
rich,i assumed you were using the 265 based engine,which has the same dia shaft as the jd.i have no clue as to the shaft dia of the 77.if it is .750 then they are useable.

JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 22, 2011 01:46AM
Good Morning

Before Christmas in 2010, I was contacted by Jeff (??), who had 55 series JD rockers he would sell, unfortunately things have been very hectic since then and I have lost his phone number. Jeff if you read this please send me an email.

rpeoples1955(at)zoominternet(dot)net

Thanks
Rich

Re: JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 22, 2011 09:33AM
BUMP

Re: JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 22, 2011 03:35PM
I put rockers from a jd 4450 or 4455 on my 88 oliver and i had to machine an 1/8 inch off of them to narrow them up so they would line up with the valve stems. The adjusting screws are, i think,.020 too big for oliver push rods. they'll work until you redo the head and use dual valve springs, found that out the hard way.

Re: JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 23, 2011 02:52AM
Hey this is Jeff my number is 920-366-0609

Re: JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 23, 2011 09:59PM
Hi Jeff

Sent you a PM.

Rich

Re: JD Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 24, 2011 02:34AM
Hey Rich check you PM I can send ya some pics. Or just give me a call JEFF

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 22, 2011 05:44PM
I ran these on my super 88. Mine came off of a jd 404, I had to machine 1/4" off the oliver stands, take the jd adjusters out and screw your oliver ones in or you will bust the push rod where the ball seats into the push rod. I also had to machine the rockers and use shims to line them up with the valve. You can also remove the jd buttons that open the valve and install briggs and stration cam followers in the place of the buttons and this will give you more ratio yet. The followers I believe where for a 5hp B/S motor. We did some dyno time with this. Just going to jd rockers gained us 6 to 8 hp, then by adding the b/s followers we gained onther 3 to 4 hp. Hope this helps.

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 23, 2011 03:23AM
As far as I know the 77 and 88 rocker arms are the same, so this should work on a 77 also, BTW did you test with a stock cam?

Thanks
Eric

Re: Rocker Arms for Oliver Head January 23, 2011 03:39AM
My super 88 was a built engine, and I also ran these on an 88 with a stock cam. It is cheap hp. I forgot to mention that if you use the b/s followers put a washer for a 1/4 bolt between the rocker and the follower as a shim it helps also.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,629, Posts: 229,692, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,900.

Our newest member JD_8520