5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 17, 2010 06:14AM
When putting the thermocouple sensor in the exhaust of an IH 66 manifold, do you put it in approx. 2 - 2 1/2" and then tighten to compress the fitting (see attached picture) and leave the other part of the thermcouple stick out? The other thermocouple I had previously seen was originally only about 2 1/2" long but this new one is 5" long.

If I compress only 1/2 of the thermocouple will it effect the reading?

Thanks.

Re: 5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 17, 2010 07:09AM
Is there a reason you cant call your supplier and ask them. The tag looks like it is a datalog product. Maybe try calling Denny Frey at Fair Valley Performance. Denny pulls llss and is very easy to work with. www.fvpdiesel.com

Good luck!

Re: 5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 17, 2010 07:57AM
Yes that is not a problem at all; a thermocouple is measuring only at the tip/ end of the sensor. So you will get the same results as with a shorter one.

Re: 5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 17, 2010 10:33AM
also you can bend them up to 90 degrees

Re: 5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 18, 2010 12:54AM
You only put it in your manifold at half the diameter of the port.
Example , if the Diameter is 1.5 inches then only put it in .750 inches.
Anymore and it will not be in the center of the stream, and if you run
alot of heat, it will start to fold the probe over.

Re: 5" thermocouple in 66 series exhaust? April 19, 2010 06:42AM
I would like to know if you can use an open ended style thermocoupler before the turbo (pressure side). The manufacturer says they read alot faster than the closed style but I dont know if they will leak or not. They are rated at 2200 deg.and cost is the same.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,671, Posts: 229,766, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,941.

Our newest member Jason