is rotella good enough? May 31, 2010 03:44PM
i run rotella in a farm stock tractor but am building it up to more of a pro-farm hot-farm tractor. should i run synthetic oil now? thanks for the advice in advance!

Re: is rotella good enough? May 31, 2010 06:13PM
The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. As important as the chemistry is to the Penn-Grade 1® oils, it is by no means the whole story. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time. Also, rest assured in knowing that the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils are 100% Made in the USA.

ZDDP LAB RESULTS

We have seen the question arise on a number of chat rooms and websites about the amount of Zinc and Phosphorous in our Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oils. The questions seem to have arose after a number of people individually sent samples of our products to Blackstone Lab(s) for analysis. The Blackstone report showed a lower Zinc and Phosphorous additive concentration level then our established in house specifications and laboratory results from our ISO 9001:2008 quality control lab proved.

In an effort to clarify any misconception about our product we did our own testing and sent three virgin oil samples (each from the same identical batch) to both Blackstone Lab and Southwest Research Lab for testing. All three Southwest sample results were completely in line with our internal specifications/analysis. The Blackstone zinc and phosphorous results in all three analysis were lower than our internal specifications/analysis and Southwest Research’s lab results. The results for both the Blackstone and Southwest Research analysis are listed below:

Brad Penn Product Blackstone Southwest Research

Penn Grade 1 zinc 1,214 ppm zinc 1,540 ppm
20W-50 #7119 phos 944 ppm phos 1,319 ppm

Penn Grade 1 zinc 1,424 ppm zinc 1,565 ppm
10W-30 #7150 phos 1,139 ppm phos 1,332 ppm

Brad Penn PCMO zinc 689 ppm zinc 1,051 ppm
20W-50 SJ #7123* phos 522 ppm phos 901 ppm

*In some cases we feel our PCMO SAE 20W-50 was sent in for analysis (and not the High Performance Oil SAE 20W-50) which does contain lower Zinc and Phosphorous additive concentration levels.

We feel there is a measurement issue with Blackstone’s oil sample testing and will be addressing this with them. Please feel free to share this information on any chat site or group you belong to.

Re: is rotella good enough? May 31, 2010 07:41PM
rotella is fine, just make sure you have good oil pressure.

run cenpeco now thank me later May 31, 2010 09:33PM
you need to go to cenpeco. they have the best oil made just for pulling. dont run a synthetic. use a 50 or 20-50. change every 10 to 12 runs down the track.

Re: run cenpeco now thank me later June 01, 2010 04:17AM
He is right, cenpeco all the way, probably cheaper thank rotella too! Rotella is good for oiling chains on forage harvesters and balers.

Brad Penn June 01, 2010 05:36AM
When Kendall was throwing money at the sport like crazy everyone thought Kendall was the best oil of all time. Now cenpeco is throwing money at the sport and sponsoring the sport.......Guess who has the best oil for pullers......When Cenpeco is out and the Walmart/Sams Club deal is finalized with the NTPA for 2011 I bet that Walmart brand will be the best pulling oil. My point is that there are some good oils out there, but currently brad penn is #1 and cenpeco is #2. However if I am going to buy cenpeco and pay synthetic price for oil, then I want to have synthetic oil. So in the mean time I am going to run Brad Penn which is better anyway due to the crude it is refined from. Oh by the way if you get synthetic oil hot enough it turns into little plastic balls that work well in your soft air pistol.

Re: Brad Penn June 01, 2010 06:20AM
Where do you get the - stuff- Brad Penn ? Never heard of it ;Just run whatever you usually run on the farm; maybe a straight 30 wt. - the big thing is checking the oil for fuel, when you push the fuel ,its gotta go somewhere if it aint in smoke ; I run good ole MFA straight 30 heavy duty, change it every 2 runs ; Im pushing ALOT of fuel !!!

Re: Brad Penn June 01, 2010 07:16AM
I got a 4010 JD with a turbocharger on it and making big power and fule and we use that walmart oil super tech I think it is. we never had a barings go out on it and been pulling it for years.

Re: Brad Penn June 01, 2010 07:51AM
I know of a ALky SS with a two charger set up that has been running on the "super cheap" 15 W40 for like a decade - and still does so.
we ourselves have been running Shell in our Allisons for 20 years and have recently changed to TOTAL because they got on board as sponsor. If we have bearing problems it's usually our own fault (ignition off, detonation,...).

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Brad Penn October 26, 2010 02:02AM
Where are you located?
I am a distributor for Brad Penn in SE Wisconsin.

Re: Brad Penn October 26, 2010 04:04AM
does anyone use lucas own brand of performance oil,claims to do all of the tricks too.

Re: Brad Penn October 26, 2010 05:28AM
Never used Lucas products and don't care to either. Where do their base stocks come from? I don't believe that they have their own refinery. And as for additives, they tend to settle out.
At least with Brad Penn, you know where the oil/base stocks come from - 100% Pennsylvania Crude from the former Kendall refinery - the oldest working refinery around - 125+ years old. Brad Penn's additive package is formulated into the oil, so it won't settle out, giving you 100% protection all of the time.

Re: Brad Penn October 29, 2010 02:37PM
Oil additives do settle out but only after sitting on the shelf for several months. I run Delo 400 in my Peterbilt and in my farm stock puller. Just out of curiosity how often are you guys dumping your oil in a hot farm? I would question the need of a super expensive oil in a hot farm. Put in delo then use an additive called motor kote found at your nearest truck stop.

Re: Brad Penn October 21, 2010 04:30AM
Well, you have a few good points, but as for your rating of #1 brad penn and #2 Cen-Pe-Co...well, I think you better take a close look at Schaeffer Oil.

Re: Brad Penn October 21, 2010 07:22AM
Use it in superfarm IH. 6 yrs on motor finally tore it down and bearings and liners are very good shape. Still didnt breathe much after all that abuse over yrs. Firm believer in mobil

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 21, 2010 08:57AM
I ran brad penn in my lps all summer and would get 8 passes out of it. Didn't have any problems all summer on 25 passes

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 21, 2010 10:43PM
Brad Penn is realy good oil But there price has went nuts from it.

It was about $1.?? per qt and in the last 2 years it went to $5.?? per qt.
I know oil has went up but this oil went up and then about doubled after that.

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 24, 2010 11:41AM
$1.?? per quart???? You cant buy dollar store oil for that. I have been using 50 w brad penn high performace oil for 3 years now and it has been 50 dollars a case. Thats $4.16 per quart. I dont feel like that is bad at all for oil of this quality!

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 24, 2010 11:54AM
3 or 4 years ago I got a 55 gal drum cost me around $325
this year $880 and that is 55 gal
case is $58

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 24, 2010 12:05PM
I have never bought a drum, I have always bought it by the case. I bought a case 2 weeks ago for $50. At $880 for 55 gallons that is 4 dollars a quart...not bad! I agree though from 325 to 880 is a big jump. But I dont know of any other high performance oil that you can buy for $4 a quart.

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 24, 2010 12:17PM
It is a good oil

I was running it as kendall GT1 50 (brad penn) about 7 years ago from autozone by the case.
it was $1.07
Then they lost the brad penn and Kendall was not as good.

I just dont know how oil that comes out of the ground in PA had to jump so much.

It is not am import oil.

Re: Brad Penn 50 w October 24, 2010 12:43PM
I use the John Deere 15w40 Plus 50 in all my engines. It is fairly priced, is much better than Rotella and Delo and has held up great in several 1200+hp 5.9 cummins and some high powered Deeres as well. It is one of the few oils I have tried that does a good job of preventing excessive cam and flat tappet wear. I think since Deere still builds engines with flat tappets they require their oil be formulated to protect those parts. Most every on road big truck engine has rollers instead so they don't have the anti wear packages to protect the cam. I also feel since those additives help reduce scuffing they do a better job of protecting the pistons as well.

Re: Brad Penn October 26, 2010 01:57AM
Well stated - I agree with you - Brad Penn is #1, and it is priced very reasonably for a high quality performance oil.

Re: Brad Penn October 28, 2010 12:11PM
Would you run a mutigrade or a staight 50W in a prostock

Re: run cenpeco now thank me later October 24, 2010 02:16PM
I dont suggest cenpeco.had problems with alky motors.they even admitted it.

John Deere is good October 24, 2010 03:12PM
I run John Deere oil in everything from our lawnmowers to the pulling tractors. Very good stuff.

Re: John Deere is good October 25, 2010 10:13AM
JOHN DEERE OIL IS ROTELLA AKA SHELL

Re: John Deere is good October 26, 2010 12:48AM
John Deere oil is NOT Rotella. Deere Oil is made by the lowest bidder sometimes it is Shell, sometimes Conoco, other times Chevron. It is always made to their specs and with their additive package regardless of what refinery is making that batch. I have seen the results of the Deere 500hr dyno test they do on their oil and none of the big brand oils could hold up unless they were Synthetics. Ag engines usualy see 80% power load in use over an oil change interval, over the road trucks see 15% on average. The off road engines are worked much harder and therefore need a more robust oil than on road truks do and most oils are formlated for the over the road market rather than off road. If you do oil tests on engines with flat tappet cams you will soon learn that is where a lot of the wear comes from and how important it is to have an oil that protects against that wear.

Re: John Deere is good October 25, 2010 01:45PM
hey cody i heard john deere also makes toilets and wipe also!! JK

Re: John Deere is good October 25, 2010 03:33PM
I'm sure they do Sully...

Re: John Deere is good October 25, 2010 03:52PM
I' ve been running john deere oil in a limited pro for many years, never been problem, I figue if its good enough for a 300,000 doller combine, it's good enough for me. but I do change oil often.

Re: John Deere is good October 25, 2010 04:31PM
Plus 50 or 15w-40 from Deere? Plus 50 is 0w-40 I believe.

Re: Rotella October 25, 2010 04:53PM
We run rotella in our Profarm with Lucas oil stabalizer and we have never had a problem change oil once a year

Re: John Deere is good October 26, 2010 03:55AM
Plus 50 II is available in 15-40 and 10-30.

Plus 50 II is tier 4 and backward compatible.
Regular Plus 50 is only approved to tier 3, I believe.

Plus 50 refers to 50% longer drain intervals (under certain criteria and conditions).

There was a 0-40 Plus 50 synthetic at one time.

Plus 50 meets Deere's own JDQ-78 X test: 500 hours/284 degree F sump temp/15% egr/B20 fuel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2010 04:30AM by smokin4250.

Re: John Deere is good October 26, 2010 08:40AM
not that its really relevant because its a cold weather oil but deere just came out with a 0w-40 plus 50 II oil.

Re: John Deere is good October 27, 2010 12:10PM
This is not the topic, but John Deere oil might be good, but there green grease has alot to be desired!! Castrol grease is alot better!

Re: is rotella good enough? October 26, 2010 01:45AM
If the Rotella you are running has the CJ-4 rating, the zinc-phosphorus levels have been reduced; so I wouldn't recommend using it.
Do some research on Brad Penn High Performance Oils - they have the higher levels of ZDDP, and are refined from 100% Pennsylvania Crude - probably the best crude in the world. I run Brad Penn Oils in my pulling truck, Duramax tow vehicle, Harley, Saturn, lawn mowers, snow blower, weed eaters / chain saws (Brad Penn 2 cycle oil of course), etc.

Re: is rotella good enough? October 26, 2010 05:36AM
do any of the larger brands carry the older ci-4 or ch-4 rated oils over the replacement cj-4?

Re: is rotella good enough? October 26, 2010 01:14PM
I can't believe all the misinformation out there on oils lately. Who ever said that the low bidder makes John Deere oil is correct. In other words, John Deere comes up with the specs they want, sends it to various blenders around the country, and says - Give me a bid - depends what part of the country you live in as to whose oil you get. Here in Waterloo, Ia Northland made JD oil for years because they have a blending plant next to the factory. I would believe that most engine manufactures are in the same boat. None of them make their own oil, so I would believe they put out for bids every couple years. When they came out with the new CJ-4 oil last year, I heard Northland got under bid by Chevron. I have looked at the additive requirements for CJ-4 oil and they are actually a step down from CH-4. I will not run it in my older equipment.
Here is a quote from a magazine dated 12 - 26 - 2007

" American Refining Group, makers of Brad Penn and Case - New Holland oils has nearly completed work on a hydrotreater that will change the quality of their base oil. This refinery in Bradford Pa was the old Kendall refinery before Witco sold Kendall to Sunoco who sold them to Union 76 who was swallowed by Phillips 66 while merging with Conoco. In API terms, the change will move the base oil from Group I to Group I+."

In other words, it looks like Brad Penn is not the same base oil as the good old Kendall we all knew and loved.
Also, if you are looking at anti wear additives like Zinc, Cen Pe Co has the zinc content of their racing oil in their literature. It contains
.24% zinc, or, 2400 PPM. I have not seen anyone close to that anywhere. I have used Cen Pe Co in all my engines for over 30 years and am completely satisfied!!!

Re: is rotella good enough? October 27, 2010 06:03AM
...yes, there is misinformation on oils out there - Brad Penn's High Performance Oil - "The Green Oil" - IS pretty much the same base stocks (unique cut off of their tower) as the old green Kendall GT-1 - and has even had some enhancements (additive package) since then. The oil with the highest levels of zinc isn't neccessarily the best - you need to look at the complete additive package - that's where Brad Penn shines.

Brad Penn does have product lines other than "The Green Oil", such as diesel and premium passenger car oils which are "amber" in color - these may be the one's you're talking about that don't contain the same base oil cut as the old green Kendall GT-1.

Re: is rotella good enough? October 28, 2010 12:28PM
i would run royal purple or cenpeco oil it has the zinc and phosperus do not run brad penn like every one on here says i ran it and it cost about 20,000 worth of damage!!

Re: is rotella good enough? October 29, 2010 03:11AM
Looked into amsoil Dominator Synthetic Racing oil 15W50 found that it has 1575 zinc and 1424
phosphorus. Anybody use it? We have used it in alot of things had real good luck with it.

Re: is rotella good enough? October 29, 2010 04:15AM
what about lucas oil products with straight 30wt ih oil

Re: is rotella good enough? October 31, 2010 02:24AM
what is every one running weight wise?

Re: is rotella good enough? October 31, 2010 05:05AM
WE run rotela 15 40 in our prostock and ad lucas heavy duty stabelizer.We have had great success with this.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009