witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? October 25, 2010 09:12AM
What class do you see a smart guy on a low budget have the edge on a less talented person with unlimited budget ?

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? October 25, 2010 10:45AM
Pedal tractor pulls

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? October 25, 2010 11:47AM
basically any class that has reasonable rules and sane limits on engine size! heck even vintage can get insanely expensive and out of control! just my .02 am sure others will add?

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? October 25, 2010 01:42PM
if your talking gn classes i would have to say lss or mini rods given the power to weight ratio

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? October 26, 2010 02:42AM
I second the minis and the lss.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? November 05, 2010 03:16PM
if lss raises there weight anymore it will be a money over brains class, not that it isnt already a expensive class to compete in. Theres alot more smart builders and drivers in the top of that class than there is smart buyers, thats what makes that class what it is and pullers who they are. If the weight goes up to compensate for mr. big wallets lack of knowlegde it will ruin the class.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? November 05, 2010 03:58PM
put the weight back there. OOPS now wait, they guys with the biggest wallet might not be able to think with there MIND then and we all know what happens then.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? February 06, 2011 12:09PM
well ppl is about to ruin lss

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 06:26AM
Hard to think you have the brains to put one of these together when you cant even spell which

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? November 06, 2010 03:00AM
I also think that the antique and Naturally aspirated classes take a little smarter puller based on the fact that they go a little slower. Also NA tractors have big cubes which make all tractors in the class competitive. Many things come into factor like where you drive, weight placement, gear choice and so on.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? November 06, 2010 04:24AM
Honestly I think an Anique paced class @ 3 to 4 mph is the hardest to compete in. Its not about how much money you have under the hood but dont get me wrong it takes at least 120HP TO COMPETE but.... Its not not all about HP its about weighting your tractor and a hell of a good driver and being able to really read tracks.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 09:46AM
i would have to say TWD because many of the pulling organization have the same rules like 6200 lbs, 575 cubic inch limit max 14-71 blower and length. i think its brains over money because i think it is possible to build a competitive TWD for 40-50k by buying a used engine then going out and buying a new engine. with the saving you could go out and get extra parts to keep the used engine you bought. just my .02 cents

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 12:12PM
Holy crap, 40-50k is mind over money? I agree with other posters, you can build a very competitive antique 3 or 5mph for less than $10,000 (A lot less if you know how to do stuff for yourself). Just like Hotsmallblock said, it all depends on balance and driving when they limit the speed. Don't get me wrong it still takes a little bit of power but not a whole lot if you know how to set the tractor up. If you want to get into it for cheap, don't expect to win right away, just take time and learn your machine and track conditions.

And I do understand that it takes a lot of money to build some of the hotter pullers and that 40-50k might not be much to some people, but if he is asking this particular question of which takes more brain than money, I assume he is not thinking of dropping 40-50k.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 12:15PM by ih560.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 01:06PM
40 or 50K would be total price, turn key and pull. Sassy engines are probably 50K alone

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 01:28PM
try about $70

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 03:12PM
I'd say any tractor class with ground speed of less than 12 or so mph. This reduced speed makes such things as balance and reading the track much more critical, and no amount of money can help you with those.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 21, 2011 05:14PM
I may be biased, but I agree with the slower pace. EVERY track is different, and its different each time you pull on it. a single 100 lb weight in the wrong spot can make the difference. a half a lb of air pressure. the wrong line on the track. just alot more factors to take in to effect.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 22, 2011 02:14AM
The slower speeds take more brain power to get the most out of them.

Power costs money and power can cover up a lot in terms of wrong weighting, wrong air pressure or wrong line down the track.

It still takes a lot of brains and money to run at the GN level, but with so many professional builders out there with component chassis, it's easier to guess where to put the weight with so many "cookie cutter" tractors. I've seen hitches on the components welded on, so that only leaves air pressure and weight placement to adjust the height.

At the speed limit level, there is a lot less money and a lot more variety, especially in chassis/hitch design. You need to know your tractor a lot more to maximize its potential. It's always fun to beat the guy that spent twice or three times the money you did on yours just because you can set it up right and know how/where to drive. It amazes me how many guys still try to pull at 4-6 mph in road gear but end up 50 feet short of the leader. They try to idle down the track in three gears too high and when they gun it for that extra burst, more often than not the tires just break loose.

The trick is to have enough power to maintain that speed limit as long as possible.

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 22, 2011 07:02AM
exactly right. especially on blacktop pulls. I've pulled against tractors with 3 times the HP, and lost by inches or won. I'd run in low gear, wide open at 5mph. another guy with more power would run at 5mph in a higher gear at half throttle, about mid track, they'd add more throttle cause the sled pulls harder, and tires break loose

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 22, 2011 07:24PM
Good thread. Speed and tire size are the two great equalizers. My observation is that anything below 6 mph on a limited tire is where u find driving and balance to be extra critical. I have had opportunity to see some good drivers and there's a select group in antiques that you stick on any antique tractor and they can make a tractor 10 to 15 feet better. I just stand there and scratch my head and wonder how they do it sometimes when a track has went to crap and they find a way to the front!

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: witch class takes the most brains over money to be competitive? April 23, 2011 12:06AM
Dead weight on cement. The most power doesn't usually win. A lot of driving skill needed and where you leave the sled for the next guy is so important. The only tractor pulling where you have to have a defense, not just an offense.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,718, Posts: 229,835, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,968.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro