what are you paying for land rent? November 27, 2010 07:54PM
Just starting a fun little post on what you pay for land rent and where! We paying around 100 to 150 an acre in southwest wisconsin.

rent vs yield ? November 28, 2010 12:57AM
What's the 5 year average yield for $100-150 acreage ? Types of crops ?

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:06AM
Well in central Ohio there is a guy paying 200 an acre.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:09AM
west central wis.. we pay from about 170 - 250 we have alot of sandy soil and a little good ground..

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:13AM
Southwest Ohio, $75 - $100 an acre. Decent ground for beans and corn.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:15AM
It is all over here, anywhere from $150ish to over $300 for some of the sugar beet ground.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:49AM
Here in east central Mo. we have a cash rent war $180-200. They are all trying to under cut each other.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:51AM
Ground in NE Iowa is going for $250 all the way up to $400. Pretty crazy if you ask me!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 02:45PM
IN EASTER IOWA WE HAVE SEVERAL LAND HOGS ALSO. A LOT OF 300 PLUS RENT CASH UP FRONT ON SOME SANDY 350 RENT.DOG EAT DOG WORLD.SEED CORN AND FERTILZER COMPANY DONT WANT TO MESS WITH A SMALL GUY ANY MORE. IWOULD TAKE TEN SMALL GUY WHO PAY THERE BILLS OVER ONE LAND HOG WHO THEY HAVE TO CARY . HEARD OF A GUY SENDING A HIRED MAN OUT TRYING TO RENT GROUD OUT FROM FROM THERE FRIENDS.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:54AM
We must have the most brain dead operaters of all. It runs from 180 - 350. The higher stuff is from the big boys that can't seem to get enough to farm.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 03:11AM
we usually average 160 bu corn and 40 bu beans but deal with a couple dipsticks that think they have to farm every acre of land in the county and with high grain prices I look for the 100 dollar an acre to be gone!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 03:40AM
1000/acre for a 3 year contract... basically 333/yr/acre... but sugar beet land is bringing upwards of 400/acre... in the past 5 years cash rent has tripled around here. Pretty funny how one farmer will pay that kind of rent for a few years, file bankruptcy, then start farming the following year under a different name... Either a brother, or son, or fathers name.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 03:49AM
It is going anywhere from $100 to $150/ac in central Missouri. I heard the other day that a guy rented a few hundred acres between Columbia and Centralia for $205 an acre. It isn't any ground that it top of the line. That is the highest that I have heard in this area. I have been on the farm all of my life, someone tell me how in the world you can make a living for a family paying that kind of money or more, plus the hundreds of dollars an acre it cost to put the crop in, get it out, possibly dried, and haul it to the elevator. I guess maybe if you own alot of your own equipment and some of your land that way there isn't much over head. It just sounds crazy. We'll see what happens if corn goes back down to $2.50 and beans drop to $5.50.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 04:01AM
$2.50 corn and $5,50 soybeans? That's kinda what I am thinking also because why is the loan rate for both crops still in the $2.00 and $5.00 range? Does someone know something that we don't?

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 10:55AM
a farm at mattoon illinois was rented by a guy for 417.00 per acre just 2weeks ago. another farm by arcola ill. rented for 425.00 3 year contract. rented by a big time operator who can not even pay his fert. bill from a year ago , go figure that one out and let me know hows it is done. boys the 1970's are back know one learned a thing. the b.t.o.'s ( big time operators) took it in the shorts then and they will again , and when they do they will go running to the gov. and beg for a bailout, and will more than likely get it. i have never under rented any one but have been under rent 2 times . gone are the days of being a good neighbor, if you get sick or worst yet break a leg or something like that you had better watch out the buzzards will swoop down and put you out of business......

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 11:48AM
Hmm got it good here in Central NY. I pay rent per acre from $0-$50 an acre. The 50 is the high rent and that is on good river bottom ground.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:56PM
I am curious as to who the farmer is that rented the ground in Mattoon and Arcola?

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 12:45PM
Probaly Illinois Family Farms, or Dowsons (spelling ??)

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 11:45AM
In eastern Iowa here i know of someone who has just offered $400 for some ground

I think that they are all nuts.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 12:54PM
You got that right. You can not make money at 300-400 rent. Only way possible is to have old reliable equipment that owes you nothing, and you don't fertilize. In NW Illinois, rent is an easy 250+. $300 rent is not out of line if you have good ground. For the landowner, you need to be careful who you rent to. Some guys will not take good care of the ground, and when word gets out that your ground does not produce because that guy didn't take care of it, rent will go down. I have 2 more years of farming it myself, then I retire and collect rent. I have one friend complaining about how he loses ground every year to these high bidders and I just tell him be patient because they will be gone in a few and the land will come back to him.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:05PM
Rents in southern IL are all over the map. Good ground around 200, poor ground less than 100. I'm a fan of share rent, though, and don't understand why landowners aren't all over share rent at the past couple years prices. If your a good farmer, the owner and renter BOTH make very good money. Here's an example: 180 bushel corn on 1/3 share rental at $5.00 per bushel is $300 rent equivalent.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:29PM
Rent up to $225 for average ground and a lot of talk of 52 to 80 bushel corn this year. Big rollers coming in an the greedy landlords are just getting greedier. It appears they don't care if you take care of their farm as long as they can go to the coffee shop and brag they got the Big $$$$$$. Then add the gov. and their CRP in the middle of the mess. Bottom ground that's not worth $50 the gov. is paying $280 for CRP. How much longer are the farmers gonna let the wildlife people run there lives? They seem to think the wildlife lives on weed seed. Come on guys don't set here and think it's gonna turn around. If we don't do something about it the greedy landlords and the wildlife lovers are gonna put us all out of business!!!!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 08:02AM
Some of you farmers are something else. Why is a land lord greedy if he trys to get all he can for the use of his land? After all he or she is doing it to better themselves or their families. When you sell corn and it is $5 do you think that is a fair price? If it was $10 right now would you say I only want $5 because that is a fair price? If you were renting land for say $200 and corn jumped tomarrow to $10 and you had not sold any of this years crop would you go and give the land owner a cut of the big price jump? I am guessing no. I live in WI and some farmers here feel they are doing you a favor by keeping the weeds down and should not have to pay any rent. Things are changing here too $20 rent has gone to $100+. It does suck when the big dairy and cash croppers here drive the rent up when they are not paying all their bills. It is not right either when a farmer is renting land from little old ladies for 0-$30 her and then get mad when somebody is willing to pay more when he has not been treating the little old lady fairly. I have a neighbor that is renting 38 acers next to me for $50 a year. $50 total. Next year I have it and am paying $50 an acer. For the clay that it is I feel that is fair. I have to take the risk of farming it, the little old lady does not want the risk. A few years ago we had a wash out here and not much got planted. About half the farmers refused to pay rent and the other half paid their rent as they should. They are the farmer. The one taking the risk. Look at it from the land lords point of view. I do not think farmers are any worse than other people and I don't think they are any better. Farmers are just part of the wheel like anybody else. The same as they guy working at the tractor factory or the milk truck driver. The vet and on and on.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 08:21AM
But keep in mind that some of us do as the brokers suggest and we contract a little grain each month, so some of us have to deliver $4.00 corn and also some $6.00 corn. Stop looking at a market high and say that all corn gets sold at $6.00, well it doesn't. You want higher rent, however when all other input costs rise and profit margin shrinks, are you willing to take on the risk with us, probably not. When corn drops to $3.00 / bu, are you willing to drop your rent, probably not. Too many land lords want a guaranteed price and are not willing to take any risk.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 09:11AM
The land lord has the land. You don't. They should not have to take any risk. If they wanted that they would farm it themselves. That is the whole point. They don't owe it to a farmer to rent the land cheap. What are taxes on farm land in other states? The town I live in in WI land used for farming taxes are $4.22 an acer. So taxes here are not even an issue. Land Lords do not need to care about market highs and lows. If somebody does not want to pay the asking price ten, other farmers will. In our area farmers go to funerlas trying to rent land when somebody dies. Never go to church until they want to coner a land owner about renting land. I have even heard of a big farm about 30 miles from us paying for a vacation for families just to get a chance to rent their land.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 03:01PM
like you Greedy Land "Lord" needs to try to farm it yourself then. You might get an education.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 03:34PM
happy slaves.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 03:46PM
hey "Greedy Land Lord", If you think that farmers selling $5 corn is a real windfall for us, you might want to re figure your out of pocket expenses again. It's not near as lucritive as you make it sound. As far as you doing that little old lady a huge favor by paying her $50 an acre for rent, whatever. The real favor to her would have been if you had gone to her years ago and explained to her how badly her tenant was taking her on the cash rent. One more thing, when corn prices in this part of the country were from $5 to $6 a bushel, many and I stress many farmers around here were proactive and voluntarily increased their rents so as to share some of the wealth with their landlords. It makes for stronger relationships and it keeps the landlords loyal to their tenants.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:30PM
ShareRentFarn, dont forget if your on thirds to bill that 1/3 of the NH3, dry fert. and 100% of the lime to the landowner and that $300 of there part goes down pretty fast. Just sayin

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:44PM
Landlords want no part of share rent in our area!! Don't want the risk figure just 52 to 80 bushel and get a 1/3 ????? cash rents a better deal and there's always a vulture flying over waiting to drop the big oneAngry wish it would work that way but it's long gone and don't see the big rollers dying off soon do the research they usually have a big supporter backing them who sells them seed, fert, crop ins etc at a low cost, it's a number game, it's a one stop shop and it's hard to compete. Hang farming up and pitch a tent and let the gov take care of us and the wildlife all will be wonderful

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:38PM
I recently retired and have rented out my farm ground.Decent tillable ground in my part of Missouri goes for $60-$100 per acre.Tops is $125 but some of it is irrigated.I'm getting $75 per acre which is very reasonable compared to other parts of the country.

10 year yields are close to this,corn 130,beans 32,and wheat 48.We have had some great corn crops ever since 2003 but the wheat and beans have been hit and miss.2009 and 2010 were 2 really great years.Last year the corn went 150 and the beans 50.This year the corn went 165 and the beans 37.We are due for a drought.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 01:48PM
Just wondering how many displaced farmers you have room for? Sounds like the kinda place for me!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 02:52PM
this has been a great post guys keep it going kinda nice to talk about something other than pulling on here! It sounds like we all have the same problem out there with the big time operators we have one in our area that pays stupid rent prices then runs the ground to nothing and if he doesnt have enough money to pay for the seed or fertilizer or what ever he just sues the local co op for poor service or writes off his bank! But its ok people this year he fed 200 people in the county a thanksgiving dinner so all is forgiven I guess!!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 03:09PM
Jrod, on most of my 1/3 shares, the landowner is responsible only for lime. It turns out to be a pretty good deal for both on fertile ground and keeps the landowner very happy. He knows I'm keeping fertility high because it benefits both parties. It also helps keep the predator renters away.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 03:19PM
man i am really enjoying this thread. if that guy writes off his bank, then that bank won't get any of my deposit accounts.
Now remember, this post that I just posted is being made by someone that has been told that he needs to "update".

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 28, 2010 04:16PM
average, not prime, irrigated ground, south central Nebraska, 75 to 90 bushel corn per acre delivered to elevator of land owners choice and landowner has no expenses other than land taxes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 04:19PM by VOODOO.

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 09:07AM
some ground in sw wisc going for 300plus river bottom and good black dirt most 150-250$, 200-250 yeilds some alittle better

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 10:48AM
Think about it. I believe crop insurance has made it possible for operators to push the cash rent. Before one bad crop and they were weeded out. thanks goverment for your help

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 11:50AM
The CRP started the problem here because the land owner knows he can count on the CRP check and if the gov can pay that kind of rent for wildlife then the farmer getting $5 for Corn and 10+ for soybeans can pay it too. But if the operator can't pay his bills he's paying to much for rent. Some of these landlords are getting more for rent than they paid for the farm per acre. It would just be nice to find some landlords with a heart and cropshare if they think we are all getting so rich. But then the world is just a me world anymore and no one really cares. that's why we tractor pull so we can enjoy something in life!

Re: what are you paying for land rent? November 29, 2010 04:22PM
First, Greedy Land Lord, in Nebraska, our real estate taxes on good irrigated ground $50 + - an acre, with bad roads and small schools drying up, thanks Nebraska. This high real estate taxes is only part of the problem with high cash rent. Invester buying irrigated farm for $8000 an acre, still wants 4-5% return, you do the math. Another thing is some farm management places can really turn up the prices of rent and always find there buddies who want more ground. I am somewhat lucky and don't deal with farm managers, just retired farmers who still understand abou t the farming side of it with the risks and what goes with the variables of inputs, grain prices ,weather etc. Irrigated ground as high as $400, dryland as high as $200.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard