building a new tractor, hot farm February 09, 2011 03:55AM
I am thinking about starting to pull a hot farm john deere. I have not found a tractor that fits what I want. So my question is if I buy a tractor and get rid of the extra parts, how easy is it to sell the extra parts? I want a quad range so it probably would have a cab.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 09, 2011 04:20AM
Don't waist you time and money trying to make the quad range work unless you are going to pull farm stock or altered farm with it. There was guy here that was using one in a JD 4440 and he never could get the thing to hold up.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 09, 2011 02:45PM
Buy one that is already built. You'll be money ahead!

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 13, 2011 02:55PM
Not that I have to be in a big hurry, but I ran across some big frame deere for what seems kind of cheap. How much is different between the 4440, 4640, 4840 that would make it a definate no,no to build with?

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:16AM
I am not a deere guru in fact I know very little about the quad range. I pull one of those red rascals lol. I can tell you that the 4640 or 4840 would be heavier built from what I do know about them ie shafts, ect. The guy that I had talked to was running the 4440 and was running hot farm with a p-pump and unlimitted rpms. He was having trouble keeping the tractor in gear. I believe you would be money ahead to get rid of almost all the stock stuff in the drivetrain area except for the rearend. Even in my case most the stock gears and transmission components are gone and I run a 3000 rpm tractor. I just got tired of fighting it. I am sure there are deere guys on here that could give you more insight but take it from me if you are going to run a p-pump or a-pump and turn the wick up on fuel and rpms don't mess with the quad range.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:26AM
All 4840's are powershift. A 4640 weighs about 3000lb more than a 4440 so making weight in a 10000lb class will be tough.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:36AM
use a small frame tractor 4230, 4430, 4040, 4240, 4050, 4250, 4055, 4255 the 46 & 48's will be way to heavy to balance & no custom trans & rear end parts to be found easily & the wet clutch & quad will take all the power you will make in the hot farm or pro farm type classes with no worries with some modifications not sure what class your looking at

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:39AM
bullet fan is right though if you can find at least a chassis it will be cheaper in the end but if your on a budget like we all are then do what you can afford good luck

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 02:41AM
Thanks for all the help. I would love to find one built, or started, or in a bucket, or a rolling chassis would be ideal. The problem is that the rules I am trying to fit into are 3000 rpm open farm. So no p-pump, no big turbo, no cut tires, etc. So I don't really want to buy something with all that and then just set it in the corner of the shed. I do think that a quad would hold up in the class as others are using it. So if someone has something like that I would be interested, any safety equipment is welcome.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 03:46AM
Your power is pretty much limited to what size turbo you can run. A well built quadrange can stand 1000hp in a 10000lb class if you dont abuse it. On a factory turbo you are probably looking at 400-500hp tops so a built quad will be nearly bulletproof at that power.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 10:22AM
here is a tractor listed on classifieds. It seems reasonable and is already built with some good parts, not sure if quad range or syncro, here is link:

[www.pulloff.com]

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 12:13PM
That one is sold.....

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:32PM
my sugestion is a 4430 early model ( it has a better 2 speed). the clutches have to be tied together to make a 4 or 5 disc clutch. the pressure needs to be turned up to around 200 psi. a good 466 a-pump with stock turbo will run d1 d2 or c3 c4. we ran that way for a long time and now hold d3 d4 with around 800hp.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:47PM
If your interested I know a guy that has a good running JD tractor. I think its what your looking for all setup. Send me a message back if you would like his number

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:41PM
hey new guy where are you going to run

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 14, 2011 01:57PM
We will run with Great Plains, South Dakota and NW Iowa. The rules overlap with other groups close to here also. 466 cubes, 3lm turbo, a pump.
I would like the phone number of the man with Deere for sale. Thanks.

Re: His number February 15, 2011 09:51AM
262-689-7408

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 15, 2011 09:30AM
The problem is a 4430 or 4440 would work for the class your talking about but, as time goes on and more power is being made your goin to stock things that aren't worth replacing. To start with you should be using a 4020 bell and rearend , the parts are alot easier to come by, new stuff is designed for it and the wet clutch works but, taking a complete 44 and turning into to a puller is not worth it. Finding parts and pieces is the best way to build a tractor and no matter series you want all it is is sheet metal. If your running a 466 make sure it's a 55 series and if there real strick on everthing matching remember the all them 1066's aren't 10's. The two speed in mine held up with a extra disk in it but, you won't need it if it's running right. When i made enough power and started pulling in d3 and 4 in blew the syncro pack apart and broke the input shaft. The stock parts will only last so long. Also get a neddle bearing carrier , it will help.

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 15, 2011 02:19PM
I just put a stock 4430 two speed in a 4440 and was hoping it would hold up. I was just wondering when you have trouble with it what will happen? Does it stop pulling in high side or just stop pulling all together?

Re: building a new tractor, hot farm February 15, 2011 06:09PM
I had trouble with the 2 speed. We ripped it out twice last year. Yes it was beefed up with the extra disc and all. We only run 3000rpms but we are 583 with a 2.5 turbo. I would just go ahead and get a 4020 bellhousing and put the 3 speed and a cowler clutch in it. This will cost about 6500 if you shop around for it. I know you could get away with the quad rang for 466 but sooner or later you are going to put a bigger turbo (sleeves stroke) on and play in the other classes and things are going to come apart. If you have a 4010 or 4020 you will have to needle the rearend I have a NA tractor that has the pine broke in the rearend and it is 560 cid. Good luck

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,649, Posts: 229,718, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,068, Posts: 225,907.

Our newest member JD_8520