96 Dodge Cummins March 03, 2011 11:23PM
I am looking at a 96 12 valve cummins 4x4 truck. Looking for pros and cons of this truck it has 165000 miles on currently. The automatic trans was replaced with a Jasper trans installed. Trans has app 3000 miles on. What would it take to change this truck to a 5 speed other than the pedal in the cab and the trans itself? Is there a harness change required to accoplish this? I can buy this truck for a good price but really wanted a 5 speed or 6 speed trans and definetly a non emission truck. Located in eastern Pa

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 01:08AM
If you get the 5 or 6 speed from a donor truck, get the transfer case and driveshafts, too. The transmission output shaft on the auto tranny is 24 spline and the manual tranny is 29 spline. The front and rear driveshafts are different lengths between auto and manual trannys. The manual trucks use a Dana 80 rear axle, compared to the Dana 70 in the auto. The wiring harness pigtails should be under the dash for the safety start switch for the clutch pedal. What are you going to use this truck for? I will follow up after I hear back from you.

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 02:08AM
I am looking to use this truck as daily driver and farm use. Pull a gooseneck trailer from time to time. Will the auto hold up or not?

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 01:35AM
Do a search for cummins forum. They have a ton of info on auto to manual swaps.

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 03:59AM
If that auto was built right you wont have any problems. I have an auto in my truck. Probably pushing 1000 lbs of torque! I have over 100K on the trans.

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 07:09AM
It has ajasper trans with about 3k on right now. Not sure of what type of tanny fluid was put in it.

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 04, 2011 12:15PM
As long as you keep it serviced and don't abuse the automatic, it will last you a long time. Put a temp guage in it and watch it. You will be fine

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 05, 2011 03:57AM
Where can a 5 speed trans and transfer case be purchased to make this swap?

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 05, 2011 07:40AM
The NV4500 would be a better fit for that truck by far. If you can find a donor truck of the same model, cab abd bed configuration would be a favor for yourself. That way you can use the driveshafts and wiring harness. You can use your harness on the truck right now, but with the correct harness, all you have to do is plug it in and go. You would also want to make sure that you got all the inside materials to go with it, shifter, boot, etc. To do it right it will take some time, but in the end you will have a factory appearing 5 speed. The 6 speed would be alright, but much more expensive to repair when and if needed. Hope this helps.

Re: 96 Dodge Cummins March 05, 2011 12:32PM
if you want to sell the auto trans call me 914-805-1099 thanks

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,695, Posts: 229,800, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member CBeard