IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 19, 2012 08:09AM
The rules page on the IPA website shows the rules for last year. Are there any significant changes for the Farm Stock class for 2012? Thanks.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 19, 2012 02:57PM
Steel flywheel, trans blanket, tie bars, roll bar, 2750 rpm for all brands. That's all I can remember.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 21, 2012 05:06AM
So much for calling this a "farm stock" class. Next year it will be p-pumps for all brands.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 21, 2012 01:06PM
i just want to see the different colors represented to be competitive amoungst each other and to do so some rules will change BUT carl will make sure it stays farm stock. good class i would like to see more hooks.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 21, 2012 02:51PM
P pumps for the red ones would be cheaper. The CASE crowd wanted the rpm to "compete" insurance said fine you'll need the safety equipment. What will happen when the rpm doesn't work/isn't enough. Should have left it alone just opened a can of worms for 2 tractors.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 21, 2012 03:14PM
I don't remember equalizing the RPM having anything to do with the safety equipment requirements. I'll have to say BS on that. Had nothing to do with Case tractors, and by the way, I sold mine because of the rule changes. There will only be one. Rules make red the only viable choice, and if I ever come back to the class, that's what I'll have.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 02:37AM
After being involved in setting up the class, and having input on the rules, I will defend the top tractors (even though they kicked my a$$!) They were within the rules, and I commend them for what they are able to accomplish. My lack of experience and my naivety led me to believe that a 2.3 turbo limit would keep everybody out of road gear. Boy, was I wrong! They're running OVER road gear. 25 mph is not farm stock IMO, but the rules allow it, so it is what it is. I was just not willing to make the financial commitment of building a pro-farm tractor to compete in farm stock. If a class comes along that is possibly speed limited and designed to make near stock tractors competitive, I'd be there. At my age and frugality, that's what I enjoy. Till then, I'll watch and cheer them on, and play with my antiques.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 12:30AM
Not to start anything here but: The color war would be a lot less if truely stock RPMS were factory, not
some other after market like m&w or a&w. The red rpm of 2850 or 2800 was it ever on a 1066?
The first ones ran at 2400 and the later at 2600. JD 404 (4020 4320 ect) books show their rpm at 2650.
You are knocking the Case as it is lower rpms. When these tractors were made the companies
made tractors to compete with each other. Case had a slow running long life engine and a little more cubes.
Case also put an A pump on their tractrors and Deere followed suit.
Now to my point : Do not claim to have a Farm Stock class with 466 IH as most of them pulling should be 414 or 436
at 2400-2600 RPMS Case should be 451 at 2200-2300 with an A-pump all with TO- 4 turbos.
If all go back to this it will be factory and a fair pull and a Case as it comes from the factoy will compete very easily with the othe colors.
I am not bashing any color and do not know what some of the others are capable of, but I would guess a tractor made at
the same time period would compete also as they were manufactured.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 01:56AM
Well as a fan last year watching throughout I saw a considerable advantage to two internationals for sure. You could obviously see something needed to be done to even the playing field unless those two tractors were performing illegally. They were pulling 20feet or more farther than other tractors. All others were pretty close

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 03:28AM
Was said that if 2750 rpm limit was to be implemented that ALL safety equipment would be required. 1066 were allowed 2750 rpm previously. 505 is cube limit CASE is allowed the 504. Stock appearing pumps (should have limited mm size). The two leaders have kick a** rotary's competing against inlines.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 03:54AM
Wrong. Safety rules were in either way. Had nothing to do with 2750 rpm.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 11:40AM
Face it you guys got suckered in. The first year they let everything slide and then when they get you interested, the second year the want slap you with all the safety equipment. The same thing happened to the NA and diesel truck classes. The ipa tries to say it's the insurance company inforcing these requirments but that's bs. I would suggest calling the insurance company yourself and get the information right from the horses mouth.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 12:50PM
What is wrong with safety this is a good starter class if you want p-pumps run in pro farm class.No one said you have to pull with IPA. It only takes one person having an accident to ruin things for everyone.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 12:56PM
Generally..... When you take a tractor and run it over rated rpm the insurance co. gets a lil nervous. I.e. the 1206 video from california. At the rules meeting it was said that in the future the ins. co. was thinking about mandating the safety equipment but hadn't yet because of factory rpms. Therefore when the changes were voted on by the members of the class it was stated that the safety equipment would be mandated and was added to the changes that were voted on by competing members. I didn't have a vote and for obvious reasons it didn't matter to me either way. I personally asked about allowing p-pumps since I was already running one and was assured that it was not an option. Always bad to lose tractors toolz had a good running case.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 01:52PM
want to run p pumps go to itpa put cages on 3000 rpm 466 cubes and run 3'' turbo 9500lb. youll probably spend the same amount of money but better time goin faster. ran it 4 years and building bigger

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 11:47PM
From what I have seen the extra allowed rpms are not the problem. The malfunction of the equipment
causing obscene rpms are usually the problem. The more horsepower one builds into a tractor even at lower
rpms can be as bad as high rpms. To achieve the enough power to run stock rpms in road gear or above the
a lot of the equipment must be altered. Clutches and flywheels get a lot of abuse on these tractors not because
of rpms but the added power and slippage required to get them off the line even at stock rpms they can fail.
My point is a tractor designed to have 115-150 hp is not anywhere close
to farm stock. These tractors could fail in a lot of different ways. Not to excite i_s_r_n_e companies but if there
is as claim and they are insuring farm stock they will look way beyond the the rpm rule. 700 hp or above is not farm stock,
maybe stock like.
Farm stock would tend to say one may be still looking at the owners manual; Do not tow heavy loads at high speeds?
50,000lbs at 25 mph
I like to watch these tractors go as well as anyone. I think there is a place for these tractors but they need saftey equipment.
Lower mph would equate less needed saftey equipment.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 03:14PM
I should probably clarify- I stated that I left the class because of the rule changes- not exactly the case. We knew going in that the safety rules would be changed for the second season. For me, it was more that the rules permitted, and more or less required, big money to be spent to be competitive. I had hoped for an entry level class, with the big money moving to, or staying with, pro farm. The rules are not restrictive enough to cause that to happen, and it only took one season to make it clear. I envisioned a class that would encourage a fan in the stands to say "I can do that with a little work on my 1066", and the pulling club would grow accordingly. I think what we have will scare that guy away. There's 10-12 good tractors in the class, and that makes for a good show, so it will probably work fine. I do think that the fans have a hard time telling the difference between profarm and farm stock, but the majority rules, and I wish them the best.

And since I don't believe in criticism without solutions, here's what I think farm stock should be: Stock appearing tractors with all factory equipment, 12 mph limit, and no shifting or throttle advancement past 75 feet. Might be more boring, but it would equalize things, give the entry level guys a place to get thier feet wet, and move up as they chose. The big money would stay out since they would have no advantage. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 01:35AM
toolz
And since I don't believe in criticism without solutions, here's what I think farm stock should be: Stock appearing tractors with all factory equipment, 12 mph limit, and no shifting or throttle advancement past 75 feet. Might be more boring, but it would equalize things, give the entry level guys a place to get thier feet wet, and move up as they chose. The big money would stay out since they would have no advantage. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.

I agree 100%. Turning what's supposed to be an entry level class like farm stock into a wannabee profarm class is bad for the class and it's host organization alike, as it ALWAYS eventually results in the class drying up. Sadly, it's a mistake that keeps being made over and again, yet no one seems to be learning from it. I'm in the same situation as you and will be sitting out this season for the exact reasons outlined above and in one of your previous posts.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 02:56PM
FIRST i would commend the ipa for its forward thinking in helping keep the group a very good choice for county fairs and festivals. most fairs can not pay out the big purses for itpa so that makes our group very atracttive choice. the crowd enjoy speed plus power, the farm stock class had to evolve to something more than a 10 mph set class. you need to think out side the box alittle and see what the customer is asking for. just look at the list of pulls signed up for the ipa. profarm has by far more hooks than any one else, doesn't that tell you something? the na class keeps loosing hooks the farm stock have very few hooks, so in order to keep group going it needed to change. i realize you helped get class going and i for one thank you for that, but don't put the class down or the group down for its vote we had that sunday afternoon. you also complained about the group called central illiniois brush pullers i believe you said some harsh comments about them as well. in order for the group to take the next step we need to except the majority vote, yes there was a vote the majority voted for the changes. i saw you there, and seen you vote

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 03:49PM
hey toolz
FIRST i would commend the ipa for its forward thinking in helping keep the group a very good choice for county fairs and festivals. most fairs can not pay out the big purses for itpa so that makes our group very atracttive choice. the crowd enjoy speed plus power, the farm stock class had to evolve to something more than a 10 mph set class. you need to think out side the box alittle and see what the customer is asking for. just look at the list of pulls signed up for the ipa. profarm has by far more hooks than any one else, doesn't that tell you something? the na class keeps loosing hooks the farm stock have very few hooks, so in order to keep group going it needed to change. i realize you helped get class going and i for one thank you for that, but don't put the class down or the group down for its vote we had that sunday afternoon. you also complained about the group called central illiniois brush pullers i believe you said some harsh comments about them as well. in order for the group to take the next step we need to except the majority vote, yes there was a vote the majority voted for the changes. i saw you there, and seen you vote

You need to calm down a little (and identify yourself). I did not bash the IPA in the least, and I clearly stated that the majority rules. The class is just not for me, and I explained why. I didn't know there was a group called Central Illinois Brush Pullers, so I doubt that I said anything against them. As I said before, I wish the IPA the best, and sincerely hope the class prospers. I have nothing against the IPA, and I hope to pull with them again (in a different class). The organization is very well managed with some fine people at the helm. If they offer a class that appeals to me, I'll be there. Again, if not, I'll watch and cheer them on.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 24, 2012 02:38AM
Those who believe allowing any entry level class to "evolve" into anything but that aren't seeing the big picture. An entry level class, as toolz so eloquently explained in an earlier post (please allow me to paraphrase), needs to be AFFORDABLY COMPETITIVE, for the purpose of making it attractive to prospective participants, hence the term "entry level". The more people that are able to become involved, the stronger and more visible the organization becomes, making it all the more attractive with regard to selling it's show. More entry level participants means more higher level participants over time, and so continues the growth. When entry level classes are sacrificed for the interests of those that have the means but not the desire to move up a class, not only is this venue for growth lost, it results in the loss of existing members as well. Bash all you want, but I have personally seen more than one good organization suffer declining numbers or worse for this very reason. I've said it before and will again: even if such "evolution" is approved by the voting majority, that still doesn't mean it's all for the greater good. It is my opinion that it is the responsibility of the board, for the sake of longevity and growth, to maintain perspective with regard to the purpose their entry level classes serve and make every effort to keep them entry level, even to the extent of going against the majority if necessary. Evolve participants, not classes.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 22, 2012 03:21PM
I would like to know who got "suckered" and what happened to the NA class? Tell me what happened to the Diesel Truck class? When have you spoken to the insurance company? And how did your conversation go?

If IPA is such a bad group, then go create your own group with your own classes and your own insurance and put your money where your mouth is. This @#$%& is hard work but you probably wouldn't know about that because you show up to a show late pull your one class go collect your check because you don't want to watch the whole show and it is too far from home to stay and help the group pick up track markers or sponsor banners or any of the other labor that it takes so you can have a decent purse and an end of the year point fund.

I shall await the annoucement of the new Illinois promotional group. Perhaps, I will hold my breath.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 08:15AM
Lets refresh your memory, about 3-4 years ago the NA class went threw the same rpm issue as the farm stock class. 2) The first year for the diesel truck class safety equipment was not required but the second year they needed the same saftey equipment and the mod 4x4 class. If memory serves me right I believe there was a couple of special shop meetings to look over and compare trucks. As far as the insurance goes I have talked to several motorsport insurance companies Kramer, Allied, K&K ect.

Paul Harvey
Good Day!

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 02:04PM
If this is the way you want it as far as being stock only with no modifications and simply entry level or what ever you call it, then i know of at least two tractors that should be in the profarm class instead of farm stock, then most other tractors would be competitive against each other and stay (STOCK). But things like this need to be brought up in the meetings (like the one this last winter) where things like this are talked about business like in front of members and the board instead of on here.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 23, 2012 04:01PM
lets understand something
If this is the way you want it as far as being stock only with no modifications and simply entry level or what ever you call it, then i know of at least two tractors that should be in the profarm class instead of farm stock, then most other tractors would be competitive against each other and stay (STOCK). But things like this need to be brought up in the meetings (like the one this last winter) where things like this are talked about business like in front of members and the board instead of on here.

Here's what I understand: It's almost impossible to change rules that cause a class to go backwards. Those top few tractors are within the rules, and did a great job making horsepower with those restrictions. You can't tell them at a meeting, after they already spent the money and time, to change it all. I certainly don't expect that, so after the first season, it's up to the pullers to either step up, or move on to something else. I made my choice, and hope my friends do well this season.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 26, 2012 01:45PM
toolz- Thanks for your reply to my original question on the rules changes. I'm probably not going to pull with IPA this year because I want to keep my tractor relatively stock appearing. So my next question is where else do you pull? This will be my first year pulling in Illinois, and I'm still trying to learn where all I can run. I'm set up basically the same as the IPA farm stock rules, other than the tie-bars and blanket. Any info appreciated.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 26, 2012 04:22PM
Ian- A few of us around Champaign were pulling about anywhere that would have us. Casey has an 8 mph class, and the guys down south have tons of pulls- St Rose, Beckemeyer, Ramsey, Tamaroa, Stewardson, Raymond, Butler, Marion, Newton, Shumway, Waterloo, Greenup, and that's only about 1/4 of them. Nice thing about those southern pulls is that you can hook as many as 6 times, if you want to sling weights. Usually have 11k, 12.5k, and 14k, speed limit and open. Lots of good guys down there. Mike and Randy Chamberlain recently sent me a schedule- email me at kbtoolz@gmail.com and I'll send it to you. I also pulled with the IFPA and UPA a little. Closest to me was Delavan, with the rest of their pulls south and west of there. The schedules should be on their websites. Been a lot of negative comments about those two groups, but they always treated me very well, and I like their rules. That's about all I can think of. Drop me an email and I'll send what I have.

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 27, 2012 03:25AM
hook' in the park has classes and rules to fit all farm stock tractors go to bcdcpark.com for classes and rules pull is next sat june 2nd running 8 12 mph and any gear classes

Re: IPA Farm Stock Rule changes for 2012 May 27, 2012 03:11PM
it doesnt cost that much to make tie bars and find a good blanket......

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520