whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 02:59AM
sittin the the truck today killin time and thinking about the best hooks i ever saw. i remeber seeing brent longs little 686 run at the show me showdown in the early or mid 90s and he was on the wheelie bars the whole pass. that little tractor was loud and one tough little runner. i can still see that pass in my mind today.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 05:09AM
The best pass I've seen lately was Hayley's comet at the Iowa state fair in '13, reminded me of the Conner bros in the early nineties.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 05:16PM
Jake, I remember the wilhite pass at Louisville, but they were second to Lynn in the rocket! They both had wild and fast trips down the track that day!! The one pass that sticks out in my mind every time is 1998 Jordan Lustik 9500lb super stock final in Louisville, still on the old Conner bros frame, lots of power and just a perfect pass from the bullet that night!

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 06:33AM
one that always comes to mind for me is conners at canfield ohio in 92 (I think)it was a monster pass,the crowd seemed to be silent,or speechless

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 05:02PM
I was there at Canfield too. It was either 1992 or 1993. I was there
with my grandpap Al Jeuther. We just looked at each other in amazement.
They did it again in the Pulloff. Not quite as impressive, but the
Conner Bros took the win.

Pap even got pulled over for speeding on the way home. We were both
hopped up on it.

Shortly thereafter the tractor ended up at Lustiks.
I remember Carl Shuler hauling it home with the crates
of bearings to keep it running.

Bad Medicine: Canfield 1992 December 23, 2014 11:43AM
Bad Medicine gets my vote, and the video speaks for itself.

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 01:32PM by Oliver1655.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 07:03AM
Massey Ferguson 2805 (Storm) Tomah Wisconsin

[www.youtube.com]

Re: whats the best hook ever-hayleys pass December 22, 2014 10:12AM
Haleys Comet did the same thing this year there also, put 50ft on the class .

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 12:00PM
That comet pass was awesome. But it's rarely not.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 12:03PM
Jason Hootman at the NFMS 2014 was one of the best passes Ive ever seen.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 12:27PM
Best pass I have seen was Bill Brooks putting his tractor up and over the sand pile at Gordyville a couple years ago and then putting it half way up the pile in the pulloff

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 01:47PM
PPL hook I think it was at Elnora IN been maybe 5 to 8 yrs ago. Mickey Shorter in the Buck Eater pulls first in the class. Tractor weighted totally wrong. Terrible pass. Puts tractor in trailer after hook. Class gets restarted due to re set of sled. He moves weight . Pulls last in class. Perfect pass . Wins class.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 02:20PM
I have two, both at Macon, MO. First was LD Nation blowing a crank on the ground in the first hook of the class, dropping to last, swapping engines and still hooking lines up next to me as i waited to hook him on the sled. Fired it up, hooked and won the class.

Second was Ernie Conner on Bad Medicine, took off from the line, nearly hit both chalk lines in first 100' or so, then hit dead center and took off to 300 plus.

One other honorable mention was Rodalyn Knox taking Dave for 300+ in 8 seconds at the Iowa State Fair in 1990 i believe. IIRC Dave inhaled a whole cigarette on that pass Grinning

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 01:40AM
Craig,

Travis and I attended this Show-me Showdown event as spectators which took place in the mid-'90s. We watched LD make his run, make a full pull, and throw a rod in the process. There were approximately 45 TWDs in the class that day and LD was an early hook. I remember PC or Doc announcing that LD had a spare motor and he was going to attempt to swap it before a pulloff. I said to Travis "Let's go watch LD change motors".

We arrived at LD's trailer to a few people preparing to remove the damaged motor from the T-bucket. While observing the frantic scene LD looked at Travis and I and said "Do you two know anything about what we're doing?" and we replied "yes". He then said "Well get in here and start helping!", so we did. We thought it was pretty cool that LD asked a couple of nobody's to jump in and start helping without knowing anything of our mechanical abilities but he was desperate at the time.

I believe this took place in the '93, '94, or '95 time frame and Brent either didn't compete on the GN circuit at all that year or on a limited basis, but LD had Brent's motor on a stand in the trailer for a spare. LD and Brent's T-buckets were different enough that Brent's motor wasn't a direct swap into LD's chassis so it was a challenge to make the motor swap work especially in a small time period. As time passed more pullers showed up to help and supply pieces and parts where needed. Eventually everything went together and he was able to start the motor in the truck.

A few items that vividly remain in my fading memory today are: 1. Two 5/16" or 3/8" bolts were all that held the motor in the frame (yikes). 2. LD's front grill wouldn't attach directly to Brent's motor; therefore, tarp strap #1 was used to secure it. I think the grill also served as the blower belt shroud which is why it had to be in place. 3. LD's clutch linkage wouldn't connect to Brent's clutch can throw-out bearing shaft for some reason and time was running out. Brian Knox grabbed a pipe wrench, engaged the clutch with it, and LD hit the starter to light the motor. We couldn't get the wrench to release from the shaft for some reason. LD said to leave it and put the sheet metal cover on the body. This is where tarp strap #2 was used hold the sheet metal in place over the pipe wrench.

About an hour or so had passed since the swap started and the class concluded in the process. I don't remember the how many trucks were in the pulloff or where LD hooked during the pulloff. I do remember when it was LD's turn to hook Travis and I headed towards the finish and ended up sitting next to LD's wife Ruth. In the end LD made his pass on a freshly swapped motor (pipe wrench included) and won the class. Ruth graciously thanked both of us for helping. This was an awesome experience for two young Kansas tractor pullers just starting to get our feet wet in the pulling world.

I'm sure I don't remember some of these events accurately but this is an experience I will never forget as a whole.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!!!

Todd Domann

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 02:19AM
Haha Todd, that's a pretty awesome memory made that day!

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 01:55PM
where to start, I have seen maybe 20 runs that I just went wow when it was over, I don't know if the owner/driver thought it was perfect but I don't know how they could get any better. Eyesoar in Gaffney sc many years ago, mean gene in Crossville tn, Meese and Galloway in Saluda sc, Cutshall with the Tailspin mini in FT.Wayne indoors, Tim Engler in Florida don't know how he got it to hook when the rest couldn't but he did, Wheeler Rittinger on that convoluted tractor in Houston. I am sure there are others but these all come to mind quickly. Oh yeah Phillips in M'boro and on that same wkend Fuqua just flat covered the class.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 03:27PM
ol George, I forgot about Cutshall with the Tailspin mini in Ft.Wayne. I remember that as being an amazing pass, unfortunately I don't remember much else about that pull since all the fumes killed a quarter of my brain cells. I think I blew black snot out of my nose for a week after that pull.

One of the best driving jobs I've ever seen: At the NFMS in the late 90's or early 2000's. Blue Blazes got up on the wheelie bars and was rocking pretty wild. It was duck walking wheel to wheel and it looked like it was going to be a really, really ugly pass. That was back in the days when the tractor still had a really good driver named Tom Wilhite. At about half track Tom eased out of the throttle and the front started to come down. The front tires were just a few inches off the ground and Tom just hammered the throttle and the little New Holland just hooked up and launched towards the sand pile as smooth as could be. It all happened in a split second, yet it almost seemed like it was in slow motion and I don't think the front tires ever touched the ground. I think they got second to The Squealer that year. It was one of those rare moments when the second place pass was more memorable than the winner. Tom didn't need fancy front air bags, he was a driver! At the other end of the spectrum I saw Mike Wilhite hit a pole in Harrisburg so...

One of the best passes I've seen: Arnie Kwiatkowski on Wild Thing at the Erie County Fair in Hamburg, NY. It was their first year out on the GN circuit with the CIH 7250, I'm going to say maybe 1997 or 1998. The class was maybe three or four tractors in and it looked like they had a pretty tight sled setting and nobody was getting close to 300'. I hadn't seen Kwiatkowski's hook since they had the diesel and I was pretty curious to see the new alcohol tractor run. Arnie gets a green flag and just stands the tractor straight up on the wheelie bars and screams down the track to about 350' and eases out of the throttle. I'd never seen a tractor carry the front so high, so fast, or so straight, in my life. They reset the sled, Wild Thing broke and the class was mediocre and unmemorable. I remember it was the first time my father and I both realized that things would never be the same in the SS class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 03:29PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: whats the best hook ever+1 Wild Thing December 22, 2014 04:43PM
We were setting near the end of the track when Arnie made that pass. He came down the track like he was pulling for time not distance. Think

he broke a rocker arm and couldn't come back.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 05:50PM
Funny you should mention that pass by Tom Wilhite, Jake. It was the year 2000, by the way. I was sitting on the finish line three rows up lower level. I vividly remember the duck walk and I was duck walking too in my seat. It's a different visual experience for sure with that iron coming at you and coming to a halt just feet away. The run into the left corner by Kevin Lynn on the Rocket was pretty cool too. Nice driving job Tom, but that other Blue Blazes driver did a memorable job some years back in Nashville, Tennessee, and there's video floating around somewhere of it...

Seems there was no right brake on the tractor and the tractor of course went left. Mike got out of the throttle, steered it around, and drove to a full pull on the opposite chalk line landing close to where the late Mr. Don Carlisle was filming. Good job driving Mike...

Here's video representative of a whole catalog of awesome passes. Fast forward to 5:15, you'll see what I am talking about.

That tractor was a highlight reel on wheels. Only run out of that "era of the Squealer" that is more memorable to me is when Brent Long showed up in Evansville Indiana with the 686 and won by a "comfortable" margin.

The run by Red Thunder at Henry, Illinois when it was NTPA sanctioned, Well over 300feet in about 9 seconds, used to be video of it on youtube, couldnt find it. Mid-2000's.

Here's one from the past: that kinda-sorta ok guy from the East Coast J.R. Richardson sold me some dvd's of vintage pulling at the Buck from 30+ years ago. Within all that coolness is a foreshadowing of things to come: Stangle and Solid Junk taking the sled out the end, coasting out past 300 feet like the sled wasn't there. I swear I have watched that one bit of pulling in that whole set more than any video I've ever watched. I seriously got chills seeing it for the first time.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: whats the best hook ever December 24, 2014 12:50PM
Bryan, Would this happen to be the pass you are talking about? I've got the entire class and pull off but really remember this pass.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: whats the best hook ever December 24, 2014 04:01PM
Yep that's it. Correction, about 340 feet in 11 seconds. Thanks for finding it.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: whats the best hook ever December 26, 2014 06:33AM
I thought the weight box on the sled was going to bounce all the way to the back when it hit! awesome pass.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 26, 2014 12:34PM
That chassis has made some good laps.

Ken Measel Mining For Dollars 2000 Brigden, ON: [youtu.be]

But this is the best ever...

Terry Blackbourn Slowride perfect pass: [youtu.be]

Re: whats the best hook ever December 22, 2014 04:58PM
Kurt Kesler ITPA Cape Girardeau, Mo. 2014.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 03:17AM
I remember being at the butler pa farmshow sometime in the 80's and Vern Over from Sligo Pa almost flipped the mack sled on its side, He had a strong pass going but quickly heading out of bounds to the left, he lifted and cut the tractor back to the right and when it did the sled dug in and the whole rig was on its right side duals, wow the power that thing had, I think it was a multi-charger tractor and that wasnt very common back in those days, at least around these parts. I still think it made near to a full pull.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 03:59AM
I would say that the best hook I ever witnessed to this day was at turkey trot in Montgomery Indiana about 5 years ago in the 13000 farm stock open class when nick wher ran barry sandefurs 1466 tractor and was last hook in the class and beat the hocksang 1066 tractor and the glenns buck wild 6030 john deer by several feet.. still sticks in my mind to this day.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 05:27AM
Best pull I ever witnssed was when Jack Kielmeyer took his mod - and the sled into the cornfield in Hollywood Mn. Wow!!! That had to be a ride!!

Re: whats the best hook ever December 23, 2014 07:57AM
I have seen many outstanding pulls over the years. Relived some of them through the stories above. But the heart stopper for me has to be in the early 1970's on a Saturday night, 15,000# Pull Off between Don Nolan on his big M-M and Al Arnold and his A-C 220. Don Nolan pulled first and made a clean smooth straight pass. The flag was set. Al Arnold hooked and started his run. The closer he came to the flag the louder the crowd cheered. As he reached the flag and passed it Al leaned forward and started whipping the hood with his hat. Every person in the Arena was screaming at the top of their lungs. Nothing that unusual or wild about their runs down the track but the crowd participation was nothing like I have ever seen. Any of you that have been to Louisville have seen a tile fall from the roof. That night every tile was rattling. NEVER FORGET THAT NIGHT! Can't imagine what Al Arnold must have been feeling getting that much response from the packed house crowd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 08:22AM by Sled-rider.

Cambells soupline Dubuque IA 2013 December 23, 2014 10:31AM
Dubuque County fair pull Summer of 2013 with rain in the forecast they ran the pro stocks early. Cambells were one of the first hooks if not the first, the tractor went 360 feet. They were quick to reset the sled, with each tractor that had pulled the conditions looked worse and worse, and most of the tractors were about 300 some feet and change. Lance Little I do believe got out to about 320 finally. Meanwhile on the super farm track Andy Schuldt sat on the starting line for about 10 minutes working on getting his tractor started, finally Andy got it going and was the last puller and won! After it started sprinkling rain we started heading for the car, we stopped and watched the last few tractors thinking they were going to call it. Cambells got there turn and turned the Soupline loose again putting 20 feet on the whole class, and it poured rain and the pull was called.

ReGrinningEERE TRAXX NFMS 2014 December 23, 2014 03:31PM
DEERE TRAXX and Russ Freeze last year at NFMS. Hits sand pile and breaking front end and me getting him kicked out the door! Sorry brother it was a bad night for all of us.

Best hook (s) ever December 23, 2014 10:27PM
Not sure of the year, but fairly certain right before cages were mandatory at Ft. Recovery on hillside track.

If its the year I'm thinking of, it came a toad strangler and thought they would call it....
Track crew does what they can with what they have to work with....

Terry Blackbourn is first hook on Slowride and blows it out. Sled reset....comes right back and blows it out the door again. Sled reset....comes back and same result. Can't remember if this went on a fourth time, but they finally left the sled as is.

Don't remember if he won, but I have never seen a more dominating performance in S.S. I will say I never got to see Conners run in person, but they look bad a$& on youtube....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 06:10AM by smokin4250.

Re: Best hook (s) ever December 24, 2014 01:35AM
I'm a little biased, I won't lie, and I haven't been to some of the outdoor venues in the Midwest, but Thurman Munford Jr.'s run on the Mechanical Bull at Gordyville back in 2013 was pretty awesome. Guy Gochenour's run in the mod turbo class this past year at Keystone Nationals was pretty awesome to see. Those two were very impressive to me.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Best hook (s) ever December 25, 2014 04:44AM
I think the best run going was Boxlers the year they blow the hood of at BG he was flying he would of put 30ft on everyone also the year they won Tomah 325 first pass and came back in pulloff and hauled the mail to 336

Re: whats the best hook ever December 26, 2014 03:48AM
The best hook for me is from the 1998 NFMS Wednesday night 9500 SS class. I am a big green fan and seeing the Green Gate Savage for the first time was awesome. Lawnrence Kline made a monster pass that night and buried it in the sand pile deep! He even shut it down at least 20 feet before the sand pile and still put it in. He then put in the sand pile again in the pull off. The crowd went nuts seeing it. Those passes made by him that night always are on replay in my mind. I bought the VHS of the pull that night but can't find it anymore. I did a search and can't find a youtude video of it either. I still have some pictures of it at home. I have one of him standing up out of the seat a the alcohol is still burning off. I remenber Butch saying dont worry about the fire its just access from the over flow valve!

Re: whats the best hook ever December 26, 2014 09:30AM
Banter Bros. in the 80's near Lake Crystal,Mn. at FARM FEST. Modified was full of Allison aircraft and car engines,some two and three engine machines,last pull in the class was a Yellow vehicle with five automotive type engines.That Yellow machine flew past the other's marks and out the end like no other !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were in and on a natural rounded amphitheater, sound and power echoed through out the crowd.I was young and was impressed,started pulling shortly after,has been a blast,will never forget how easy they,(BANTER BROS.) made it look.

Re: whats the best hook ever December 27, 2014 01:00AM
carl smith at Dubuque in `05. Beating the kurt weilman in the pulloff when the weilmans were really on top of there game. I think it was `03 or so so when carrousel's made a huge pass at Freeport for the win.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,776, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member Jason