IH best crossover pipe January 28, 2018 03:13PM
I’ve heard 2 different answers on crossover pipe I’ve heard short and straight as possible and then I’ve heard make it as long as possible before dumping into intake manifold. This is on IH 466 with 3x3 box s400 charger (class rules). So what will make the most power we are all so close in the class 10hp here and there makes a difference. Thanks

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 28, 2018 03:36PM
Not to be a smart a**, but go to a dyno and find out like everyone else.

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 28, 2018 03:50PM
Well I’m planning on it but wanted to ask before I spent a lot of time and money on building a new crossover pipe just to throw in the corner if it’s not gonna work.

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 28, 2018 04:36PM
It's hit and miss. I had some long, winding boost pipes built for our tractor. When it was a 600 with a 3x3 I never seen any change. Now it's a 540 with a 4.3, found a few horse with a longer pipe. That's why the previous poster said go to the dyno. You won't know until you try it on your set up and can measure hp before and after

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 29, 2018 01:31AM
don't go to a dyno for 10 hp. Read the sf posts probably on page 2 by now on this subject. Make your pipe and go pull!

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 01:12AM
I think the originator of this post had a legitimate question. I think there are fellow pullers who will be kind and share information. I would like to know the answer also.
Not to be a smart ass, NOT everyone goes to a Dyno. Some of us would rather keep a few extra dollars in our pocket versus spending $1000 that a Dyno. Not all of us have that mentality to win at any cost. Weather it is spending tens of thousands of dollars, or cheating. Some of us are in it for the fun and companionship of great fellow pullers and that 10 second adrenaline rush. I am not jealous of those who spend big dollars and win. Please don't look down on those of us who choose not to go to the Dyno, or buy the latest and greatest fuel pump or turbo. Maybe I'm just too old fashion or complacent. Besides If it wasn't for guys like us, where would the winners sell there leftover parts to?

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 04:57AM
Amen
Thank you

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 05:33AM
Brandon B and rawhide hp truly summed it up. In my opinion with the setup you described, I do not believe there would be any noticeable diffence. The only way to really see that small of a change would be as the other guys suggested, and that is via a before and after dyno test. Original post says they are all within 10 hp of each other. I'm not sure how you all know that you are within 10 hp of the other guys without testing. In my honest opinion if you are that close to the rest of the guys, I would be looking at other things that you can do without spending a lot of money, or maybe none at all. Everybody's setup is different. You have to make your setup work for you and your equipment. A long pipe on one may help, but on another it may not. I encourage you to read the other posts as mentioned above and you will gain more information and knowledge that will help your game far more than the crossover pipe. There is no such thing as a universal rule or part that works for all setups.Best wishes , I hope you win some pulls this year. rw

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 08:16AM
Rw 1568 you need to read it again. Op said that 10 hp here and there adds up. And it does

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 09:14AM
Has anyone ever tried a vane aligned with the airflow in the crossover to create laminar flow instead of turbulent flow??

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 09:14AM
I agree, if you have enough here's and there's yes it does make a difference especially if you have a lot of here's and theres. However, there is no way anyone could truthfully say whether it would make a positive or negative impact on his setup, or maybe no change at all without testing before and after on the same test equipment. I will always be happy to help anyone out, however I refuse to say one thing will help over another when each setup is different, simply because I do not have anyway of knowing without testing. Some people may think giving someone an answer just to make themselves feel good is the thing to do. However if I cannot give an answer that I know is truthful and accurate, then I will just give them the best advice I can with information that am certain of, which may not be what they want to hear, but at least it's an honest answer. As for spending money on the dyno for 10 hp. I refer you to read rawhidehp's post. He is dead on. Unless the 10 hp gain or loss is worth the $1000.00 to you? Then go for it! I wish you all the best! rw

Re: IH best crossover pipe January 30, 2018 09:34AM
I don't know this from my own experience, but I have had a guy tell me his dyno guy said he had never seen a larger pipe hurt one but it doesn't always help

Re: IH best crossover pipe June 05, 2023 11:59AM
I've seen 4 in pipe to 3 in IH manifold make more power on a dyno with LLSS. But I usually make all my crossovers out of 4" stainless or Aluminum if water is being injected. It's amazing to see the amount of rust towards the end of the season. Some super stock diesels I've built are 5" ss but much higher pressure and velocity.

Re: IH best crossover pipe June 05, 2023 12:37PM
Bond with your tractor, learn how it responds, learn respect for the track, sled, self and learn balance and be your own positive influence, - ten or twenty hp is not important if you can't drive, remember, focus, learn, and be self informed from watching Life. Learning to use the tools we have is most important, spend money of close ratio gears,to use the hp you do have, stop hoping to have more and waste what you have already. Like in most motor sports, the race is won at home in the shop, in the trailer, execution, tweaks and minor adjustments are done at the track, have fun, enjoy, Life is short and not fair.

Re: IH best crossover pipe June 05, 2023 12:39PM
Rpm limit? We have found with a 3000 rpm limit a shower pipe will deliver air to the intake with more velocity but the water is mixed less in the pipe, at a higher rpm you lose some velocity and get a better water mixture but if you bump the governor and the turbo "unloads" then the water and air seem to get lazy so the tractor dies a little early. I'd guess between 4 and 6 maybe 7 feet of 3in pipe on a 307 manifold would get the job done and you wouldn't be unhappy with the result

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason