Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 04:01AM
Others have posted about the cycle of new affordable class that gets out of hand with $ so another new affordable class gets started which gets too expensive. Rinse and repeat.

Has this afflicted the diesel truck classes also? Why have classes like twd or modified fwd been largely unaffected by this cycle in the tractor classes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 04:02AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 07:04AM
thats very simple. twd and fwd mod run on small tires and with only 6200 lbs. they all make more power than they need most of the time, so it is not a game of who has the deepest pockets and who can make the most power. most tractor classes on the other hand have huge tires and think they need to weigh 8-10,000+. with the exception of a few very high end classes they dont make more power than they can use and as a result the guy with the most power wins. that makes it a money game, not a drivers game.

Re: Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 07:50AM
I'm not sure I agree on the HP part, LSS certainly has more power than they can hook, yet HP still wins.

I think the automotive engine classes benefit from other very popular motor-sports utilizing the same engines. The blower engines have a lot in common with Top Alcohol drag racing and na 4x4 trucks have a lot in common with PS drag racing engines. That means lots of parts out there, both new parts on the shelf ready to go and slightly used parts for those willing to be a small step behind.

Re: Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 11:28AM
And their rules have remained largely unaltered for 30 years.

CP

Re: Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 01:25PM
The Super Stock Diesel truck class has had some growth in numbers and it will probably do just fine for years to come, as there have been very few rule changes over the years.

The Pro-Stock Diesel truck (3.6" charger) class has defiantly seen a drop in numbers and places to hook. This class is not likely to survive in my opinion.

The 3.0" limited pro diesel truck class is thriving with many new trucks coming out every year and many organizations picking up this class. Leaving the rules the way they currently are (especially the charger rule) will ensure this class will be around for years to come.

Also there are many affordable entry level diesel truck classes (Work stock, 2.5 & 2.6) offered by several clubs and fairs here in Ohio of which can be a stepping stone to the other classes.

So Michael I would say no real concerns in the diesel truck pulling community other than the 3.6 pro-stock class.

RK

Re: Are diesel trucks repeating same mistakes as tractors? June 11, 2019 02:39PM
Michael, you ask: "Why have classes like twd or modified fwd been largely unaffected by this cycle in the tractor classes?"

I believe you can find an answer in my "D2" posting. TWD, FWD and MINI were the first classes to have (reasonable) cubic inch limits. That helped to standardize each class and help keep them a very competitive class allowing for many to be capable to win. Yeah, you can accuse them of being cookie cutter classes, but it has kept those classes quite thriving over time. Unlike SSD. A few years ago, I sat in on a divisional committe meeting after the Enderle. SSD limits were one of the discussion points. The majority of that class of pullers were not in favor of limits.

The combined WPI/NTPA board do listen to what the divisional committees have to offer and take their recommendation(s) into consideration.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,666, Posts: 229,747, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,074, Posts: 225,925.

Our newest member JD_8520