Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 18, 2021 05:45AM
While the NTPA did so much to grow the sport with uniform rules, strong safety measures and a first class office staff some how they missed the big picture. Everyone that is vaguely aware of the sport today is keenly interested in the PPL Unlimited SS class. Why, not because of the vehicles that have hooked there from the onset of the class, rather one DSS that has chosen to run full time with them. It's easily the most anticipated class in the sport today. And the sad thing is that the NTPA could have had this year's ago. Now they have a mostly non-existent OSS class and a DSS class that drastically needs color and numbers. The Lt. Unlimited mod class is a prime example of how to do it wrong every time you write a new set of rules, a class that should have great number is always on life support. I don't blame any pullers that doesn't want to build for the class when who knows what the rules will be next year. The class should have been built around current state rules that have good numbers. And do they have a mod class this year? Same with classes that never should have had the cubic inch limits that are legal today. Same thing with outlawing current tractor's and then allowing them back in, the damage was already done. Great leadership needs a vision of not next week/month/ year but down the road to what the sport will look like in 10 years. What is done today effects the future in so many ways. I know that this sounds like a broken record, however hope is an eternal thing.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2021 06:05AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 18, 2021 06:25AM
This is extremely well said. I believe their inability to change will hurt them in the end. While I prefer to support the PPL, the NTPA going down hill is bad for the sport. It's not too late for them to change. I think the super stock class in the PPL is the most interesting thing in the sport right now, and I'd imagine it's not just fans making that argument, I think the pullers would agree too. One thing I have long questioned is why does the NTPA have the unlimiteds and the modifieds, and now the light unlimiteds? Keep the unlimiteds, axe the mods, and get better rules for the light unlimiteds. Fans don't want to see 3 variations of the same class. Especially in todays world where there isn't much creative thinking as far as the setups of the machines.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 18, 2021 02:29PM
NTPA had 9 Mods at the first GN hook. Jostocks would have had 2 more there. Corzine is going to run the Mod class it sounds like. Maybe your infinite wisdom of are the Mod class is way off. Axe the screw blowers and go back to nods and unlimited and that will fix a lot of things. Let the NTPA Season fully begin before you start your anti NTPA rhetoric.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 18, 2021 10:31PM
A quick note. I am not anti NTPA. I am concerned about the direction the NTPA is going. They have lost states, shows, pullers. To pretend that everything is going great is the problem. They need to address some major issues with the organization.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 23, 2021 02:25AM
NTPA wrote the first set of uniformed Rules for National Competition. With that being said, I get tired of hearing how other organizations copied NTPA Rules !! Thank Goodness other organizations did copy. Other wise pullers would not be able to compete in all the different organizations.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 23, 2021 03:42AM
PULLMX, I couldn't agree more. That's one of the problems with the sport today is the conglomeration of rules. How many times do you read on the page " can I hook my truck or tractor at your event". Does my vehicle fit your rules?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 23, 2021 02:55PM
Dick Morgan
PULLMX, I couldn't agree more. That's one of the problems with the sport today is the conglomeration of rules. How many times do you read on the page " can I hook my truck or tractor at your event". Does my vehicle fit your rules?

And if NTPA would have listened to we state pullers that were part of NTPA 23 years ago, THE CONGLOMERATIONS OF RULES WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM NOW!!!!

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 19, 2021 08:19AM
Speak for yourself on what fans want to see! There are too many "versions" of the smoke classes in my opinion with the light pro, light "limited" pro, super snores, etc. I would much rather watch MODS than any of those classes! DSS, PS are are very entertaining and in my view the ONLY GN smoke classes! The days of the MODS and DSS running 3 or 4 classes were good days for the sport! Replacing those days with a bunch of local type classes has not nor will it ever help grow the sport. It sells more licenses, that's all it does!

As for SSO, Ross's are worth the price of admission to watch by themselves whether in the open class or DSS. Beyond that it's can anyone beat Chizek every night. That gets old after a while!

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 19, 2021 10:28AM
I'm with you there. Making super farm a GN class started a trend that has contributed to GN not having nearly the cachet it used to.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 22, 2021 02:15AM
Fan 2, your statement is interesting:
"As for SSO, Ross's are worth the price of admission to watch by themselves whether in the open class or DSS. Beyond that it's can anyone beat Chizek every night. That gets old after a while!".
If Chizek gets "old after a while", why does that not apply also to Ross?

Back in 'the good ole days', it became rather boring seeing the same SS's running 2 or 3 weight classes (especially all the square IH '66's). The only difference was the weight. But to many occassional spectators, did they even know that?

So, today, we still have lots of square '66's. But at least they are with diffferent drivers and tractor graphics, which helps the entertainment value. Yeah, they are different classes but once again, the occassional spectator may not know the difference. Unless the announcer does a good job of educating, which many do not. Unfortunately.

Under Pressure, I really do not agree with your SF statement. That is one class that is very highly competitive on any circuit. That's what keeps it interesting.
Having literally the same winner, over & over & over, etc, is not necessarily all that exciting or interesting.

Personally, I like all the tractor classes that are out there today. For the true pulling fans, they know what the technical differences are from class to class.
Again, for the occasional spectator, they may not know. But that is when you discover if an announcer is really worth his or her 'salt'.

The real problems we see today, basically all 'root' back to when NTPA went bankrupt in the mid '80's. They have been finding their way ever since. Right or wrong.
Dick knows that all very well.
At least, they are still here. And still the leader in the overall rules, that every other organization literally copies.

Every (pulling) organization has problems. That's because they are operated by people. If you do not understand that last sentence, you better think deeply about it.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 23, 2021 01:41PM
Never thought is was boring watching tractors run 3 of 4 classes! Take that any day over watching some of the classes today! I'm speaking of only GN/SN.

As for sf being "very competitive", turtles all walk about the same speed, that doesn't make them "interesting" to watch.

On the Ross issue, if you can't figure that out on your own, I can't help you.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 24, 2021 03:29AM
Try to get somebody to consider their 'objective' in a positive light and all it does is rear their (ugly) BIAS even further.
And that is exactly what "Fan 2" second posting exactly is.

And apparently Fan 2 has not ever seen a mph board of the speed of SF's vs. literally any other class. Overall, No Significant Difference.
And they have the same horsepower and a tremendous amount of extra torque compared to those late '70's / early '80's Super Stocks
that pulled 3 different weight classes.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 24, 2021 04:25AM
...which is a false equivalency as well. Sure an SF likely makes more power than a 1982 SS would, but a 1982 SF (had it existed then) wouldn't have compared to a 1982 SS then either.

That's the thing about enthusiast pursuits. We all bring our biases to the table, we all think we know how it ought to be, and we all think we know how to do it better. One preference is no more ugly than another, merely different.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 24, 2021 05:20AM
So you're going to sit there and tell us that a sf puts on a better show now than the SS tractors did back then? The Prostocks back then turned the tires harder than the sf do now! The speed argument holds no water as the sf couldn't get those old sleds moving from back then the way they were designed. They would simply pop a wheelie and stall on the line.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 24, 2021 08:07AM
"DRAMMMAAAAAAAAA PEOPLEEEE" !!!!!!!

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 26, 2021 08:51AM
As a fan I think there are too many national classes.
national classes should be high rpm and lots of power per cubic inch!
Lt pro stock and pro stock for diesel.
lt alkys and a combo alky/dss (I like the diesel vrs alky but may need to have there own class)
mod (4 engine) and mini class
twd and fwd pro gas and pro diesel fwd

All the other combos of classes should be a state series.

There is nothing wrong with the other classes but shouldn't be on a national bracket.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 27, 2021 05:02AM
pulling fan
As a fan I think there are too many national classes.
national classes should be high rpm and lots of power per cubic inch!
Lt pro stock and pro stock for diesel.
lt alkys and a combo alky/dss (I like the diesel vrs alky but may need to have there own class)
mod (4 engine) and mini class
twd and fwd pro gas and pro diesel fwd

All the other combos of classes should be a state series.

There is nothing wrong with the other classes but shouldn't be on a national bracket.

You'd pick Pro Stock Diesel FWD over SSD FWD for a National Class?

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 27, 2021 07:00AM
I would too
Simply more of them can get from april to sept

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 27, 2021 11:29AM
Uh... SSDFWD is one of the most reliable classes in pulling.

CP

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 28, 2021 03:36AM
patches
I would too
Simply more of them can get from april to sept

I don't get this statement. The vast majority of SSDFWD trucks make it the entire year without major failure. The engine programs have come a long way because of work by Haisley/Scheid and others. Many of these engines last 80+ hooks before needing a rebuild.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 28, 2021 06:30AM
I guess theres more trucks to go around ,with more hooks during those months and fuel prices up I'd think more guys would stay closer to home than travel a circuit based on low paybacks vrs expense only makes sense

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. June 29, 2021 08:53AM
Triple Alpha;
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have ssdfwd if they have the most power and good numbers. I don't watch fwd so I'm not sure on those classes ( good time for another beer or restroom imo) but would have them on a national level for other crowds.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. July 01, 2021 03:38AM
pulling fan
Triple Alpha;
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have ssdfwd if they have the most power and good numbers. I don't watch fwd so I'm not sure on those classes ( good time for another beer or restroom imo) but would have them on a national level for other crowds.

Pro Stock Diesel FWD: 1800-1900 HP, 7-8 trucks at most PPL events, no NTPA Class at National/Regional level (except III/IV at select events), only state classes

SSDFWD: 3000-3500 HP, 15-18 trucks at most PPL events, 7-8 trucks at most NTPA events

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. July 01, 2021 02:33PM
And "Triple Alpha.." Dr. Jeff, why is your SSDFWD not on NTPA Precommit list this year? Then it would be 8-9 trucks.

Re: Here's what happens when leadership has no vision. July 02, 2021 01:58AM
wondering
And "Triple Alpha.." Dr. Jeff, why is your SSDFWD not on NTPA Precommit list this year? Then it would be 8-9 trucks.

It was originally but some things didn't happen that were beyond my responsibility. Hope to still be out sometime this year but not up to me at this point.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,646, Posts: 229,713, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520