Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 02, 2022 10:25AM
The Illiana Pullers Association (www.illianapullers.com) is considering the addition of two tractor classes for the 2023 season. Below is a quick overview of the class rules at this time. We are looking for feedback on the potential new classes, and to gauge the level of interest. A majority of the IPA's current schedule is in Illinois and western Indiana.

10,000 Pound Field Stock

10,000 pounds
18.4-38 - no cut tires
480 cubic inches
Diesel fuel only
Stock block and head castings
Stock make and model injection pump
Box turbo - 2.500" smooth bore
2600 max rpm

Light Outlaw

5,500 pounds
18.4-38 tires
425 cubic inches
Naturally aspirated
OEM block or direct replacement
No aftermarket cylinder heads
Fuels: diesel, methanol, gasoline, ethanol
Diesels limited to a single P7100 pump
Spark ignition engines may run carburetor(s), mechanical fuel injection, electronic fuel injection
Roll cage required

Thank you for your time

Ehren Lohrmann - IPA Treasurer

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 02, 2022 12:54PM
Field stock needs ppumps. Limit plunger size.

Outlaw I'd let them use aftermarket heads unless your going to limit rpms... Maybe go even lighter, say 4,500lb. I like the efi. Would be cheaper in the long run.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 02, 2022 01:39PM
10,000 Field Stock

540 cubic inches. It lets the case 504, john deere 531, massey 540, and cummins 505 to get in the class.

20.8-38 because 18.4-38 is too small for that size of tractor. And allow top cuts. That way pullers can save junk tires by top cutting them instead of having to search hard for the perfect road worn tire.

Allow p-pumps, stock core pump rules aren't fair because it allows some tractors to have p pumps while others have to run a rotary. If some tractors get p pumps then all tractors should be allowed to have p pumps.

Box 2.5 smooth bore turbo sounds like a good turbo for this class.

I would do a 3500 rpm limit or maybe even open rpm with side shields and safety blanket and steal flywheel.

Cooling systems should be allowed, either water injection or intercoolers or both. Not just for performance but to make these engines last longer without smoking them.

Light outlaw

All those rules sounds really good!

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 02, 2022 03:23PM
Ipa already has a class for the big blocks. 480 lets the Fords and AC's compete. A well built engine will hold up just fine at 2600 rippems without an issue. 2800 would be better maybe. 20.8's would be fine but 18.4 radials would be fine too.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 02, 2022 04:35PM
Stock core pumps will be the down fall

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 12:47AM
I have no problem with those rules. Here in E MI we have a very similar class except 410ci and there's 15+ tractors there every night. I'd maube suggest a box turbo wirh claimer rule. Keeps the price wars out of that part.

CP

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 11:47AM
The 410 CI class that cpr mentioned would even out the pump problem for the most part

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 02:42AM
Why not adapt a class that already has tractors built for it such as hot farm class. If wanting a class with numbers in it then that makes more sense. How many tractors are already out there fora 10000 field stock class?? 2800 rpm would be a better fit then 2600.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 03:02AM
six replies, -six different views, wants and bitch list, -guys and gals------------put on your own pulls and have the damned rules YOU want, or be happy with what people work hard to promote, no one is ever satisfied. Ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 03:54AM
xxx
six replies, -six different views, wants and bitch list, -guys and gals------------put on your own pulls and have the damned rules YOU want, or be happy with what people work hard to promote, no one is ever satisfied. Ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehren just asked for feedback. I used to pull IPA farmstock and have seen some of the things that work and some that don't really in my opinion for that class so I added my feedback. You're the only one bitching.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 03, 2022 04:21AM
F 30, I see the same type opinions in all posts,-everyone wants a selfish rules.can't and never will satisfy all, -OH UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING FOR OFFICE.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 01:28AM
for the farm stock class why not match the rules of ISP Too Hot to Farm or Southwest Wisconsin Altered Farm class that would give members more hooks to go to and would allow the northern guys to come play down south

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 04:06AM
10,000 Pound Field Stock

10,000 pounds
18.4-38 - no cut tires
480 cubic inches
Diesel fuel only
2600 max rpm

I like this class. The only thing I would change is the turbo rule. As field stock leads on it is mainly for stock out of the field tractors, I would make it a box 3LM 2.3 " Class with no Water. I've been trying to get a class like this around me here and everyone's to hardheaded to look at the big picture of getting pullers. Cheap class to build into in my opinion

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 05:30AM
Oly
10,000 Pound Field Stock

10,000 pounds
18.4-38 - no cut tires
480 cubic inches
Diesel fuel only
2600 max rpm

I like this class. The only thing I would change is the turbo rule. As field stock leads on it is mainly for stock out of the field tractors, I would make it a box 3LM 2.3 " Class with no Water. I've been trying to get a class like this around me here and everyone's to hardheaded to look at the big picture of getting pullers. Cheap class to build into in my opinion

I like that as well. Except limited ppumps need to be allowed. The stock pumps you will get are more expensive than a ppump.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 06:59AM
I agree P Pumps are affordable and available. Pretty easy to find a good used p pump for a few thousand. Outlaw truck and tractor pullers have a very close class called super field I think. 466 3200 rpm P pump 3 lm box charger. Great plains tractor pullers in my area has a 466 10 mm A pump 3000 rpm 3lm charger that is also very popular. These classes are affordable and fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2022 07:53AM by Oly.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 10:31AM
Keep the comments coming. The feedback is appreciated.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 04, 2022 10:49AM
The 10000 class is ok thought What kind of horsepower think this class will make. With a 18.4-38 going to allow aluminum rims? How many tractors are out in central Illinois Indiana area already built. How many pills a year think and how many tractors commited

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 03:20AM
The kitpa in Kentucky has a similar class , except for its 9000 lbs. Tractors in this class run about 22-25 mph, horsepower somewhere around 650-700 . Really good class to watch

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 08:58AM
With a stock core pump and 480 cubes it will be 90% 66 series IH with a few A pump Deere’s and maybe a Ford

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 09:52AM
MG1206
With a stock core pump and 480 cubes it will be 90% 66 series IH with a few A pump Deere’s and maybe a Ford

It's going to be a 66 series class no matter how you do it. Just the nature of this type class. The farmstock class has 2 big block deeres that's it. Rest is red. At least with 480 you can get the Fords more involved using the 474 and AC's can still stay together at 480. The fact remains is that a 400 series IH is still the easiest to build power.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 06:33AM
I’m assuming ur trying to make a starter class for people to get there feet wet. Been trying to do the same, no body listens. It’s amazing how far classes evolve because rules don’t stick. What starts off cheap turns into a hp chase really fast which turns into high dollar clutches and torques and shelling gears. And in the end all ur doing is making more smoke spending a lot more money but not really going any faster. If ur looking for this class to be a stepping stone for new pullers keep it cheap. Box turbo great idea, The weight is a tad light in my opinion but I’d pull weight off for a weekend. Tires on the other hand would limit people coming. Several tractors out there that are on 20.8-38 top cuts mine included. I’d change turbos and pull weight in a heart beat to come play. But Switching tires not so much. Now for the real can of worms pumps and rpms. My opinion stock body pumps factory rpms for ur make model etc. pretty easily policed just by walking by when it comes to pumps. This is where classes go Haywire. Every make model has advantages and disadvantages. U give one brand something to “level competition” then the other brands are mad cuz they aren’t getting anything out of it. My opinion you want to run inline pumps run a tractor that came with one. You want rpms then run a red one. The cubes is where it be difficult to police whether it’s factory replacement or set at X across the board for everyone at some point someone is going to bore and stroke more then they are allowed and see how long they get away with it. Our group pump tests motor if u pass 2 pan bolts get drilled and lead wire seal is crimped on. If You ever open the motor up u have to break that seal and then have to get rechecked. There are tons of classes that are X cubic inch, X turbo size, X rpms. If that’s what u want to run then go run one of those classes why make another class that’s going to be the same in the end.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 10:01AM
JT1066
I’m assuming ur trying to make a starter class for people to get there feet wet. Been trying to do the same, no body listens. It’s amazing how far classes evolve because rules don’t stick. What starts off cheap turns into a hp chase really fast which turns into high dollar clutches and torques and shelling gears. And in the end all ur doing is making more smoke spending a lot more money but not really going any faster. If ur looking for this class to be a stepping stone for new pullers keep it cheap. Box turbo great idea, The weight is a tad light in my opinion but I’d pull weight off for a weekend. Tires on the other hand would limit people coming. Several tractors out there that are on 20.8-38 top cuts mine included. I’d change turbos and pull weight in a heart beat to come play. But Switching tires not so much. Now for the real can of worms pumps and rpms. My opinion stock body pumps factory rpms for ur make model etc. pretty easily policed just by walking by when it comes to pumps. This is where classes go Haywire. Every make model has advantages and disadvantages. U give one brand something to “level competition” then the other brands are mad cuz they aren’t getting anything out of it. My opinion you want to run inline pumps run a tractor that came with one. You want rpms then run a red one. The cubes is where it be difficult to police whether it’s factory replacement or set at X across the board for everyone at some point someone is going to bore and stroke more then they are allowed and see how long they get away with it. Our group pump tests motor if u pass 2 pan bolts get drilled and lead wire seal is crimped on. If You ever open the motor up u have to break that seal and then have to get rechecked. There are tons of classes that are X cubic inch, X turbo size, X rpms. If that’s what u want to run then go run one of those classes why make another class that’s going to be the same in the end.

I agree with most of what you said. IPA polices it's classes just like that. Only thing I really disagree with is the pumps, I understand what you are getting at though. All I have to go on is my personal experience, I used to have a ITPA 9500 fs with a 13mm Ppump P3000. When that class went nuts I decided to try IPA farmstock. I pulled exhibition once or twice with my Ppump and a slug in my turbo. Got my butt handed to me mainly because of weight. Went all in got M100/inj different turbo all that needed. did better. Wasn't on top but did ok. The M100's used in that class are INSANE.... Pricey and not nearly as reliable as a ppump. I say box Ppump as well as box turbo to keep costs down.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 02:07PM
F30 I agree with a lot you say but IPA has been pretty good about policing the rules. That’s why the Farmstock class was originally started to have a place to pull with a set of Rules that was enforced and followed. They have got prettty relaxed on the 2.33 inducer turbo rule to where whatever size ring you can use to stop the 2.33 slug checker will pass. Your right the new model100s are pricey but I’m still running a 466 ih (that motor was built for when the class started back 10+ years ago hasn’t been touch)with a older harts model100 and I can compete with the Deere’s amd the other 505 IH tractors it is always in top 5 class and points.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 07, 2022 04:30AM
I dont understand why a lot of guys are trying to add P-pumps to a class that appears to be more "tamed" down. If they want a more factory class, p-pumps are not the way to go. I stock pump is great rule, if someone wants to spend the BIG money, better luck to them. The limiting factor is the turbo and if that is regulated, the "small time" guys will show up and play. I don't think this class is ment to draw pullers from states away to come pull. But maybe get some local pullers and let them have fun. I know everyone brings their tractors to the rules meeting, but the idea looks like to me, its a smaller hp class.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 07, 2022 10:13AM
Rotary pumps cost way more than p pumps in the long run and up front. You can pick up p pumps for under 2000 all day keeping the cost of getting into this class more affordable, and like you said the turbo limits it enough to keep it tame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2022 10:16AM by Oly.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 05, 2022 02:14PM
The primary reason I see with classes getting out of hand really quick, is that people want to move up, but don’t want to move up a class. Instead, nearly every entry level class gets ruined. One wants to do X, another wants to do Y, yet another wants Z. They all get allowed and voila`, your entry level class has gotten stupid expensive and numbers are dropping. Tell people no! If they want to do “more” tell them to find another class. IPA has done a pretty good job of trying to keep things in check in the past. Altering the Outlaw class rules to align with ITPA 6850 was not one of their better decisions however. IMHO. I feel these potential classes are a good step towards trying to grow the sport of tractor pulling. They will figure out the proper combinations.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 06, 2022 01:06AM
F30 Puller isn't questioning the performance of a rotary pump or anything about really policing being different. He is saying that a P-Pump is much more reliable and cheaper up front and in the long run. Hes looking at the grand scheme of cost on building to allow more people the opportunity to come into it. And I agree 100% with him on that side of things.

Just my 2 cents

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 07, 2022 01:24AM
Thank you to everyone who has commented.

The 10,000 pound class is intended to be more of an entry level class. Then a person can step up to the Farmstock class.

If there is anyone out there who would be interested in participating in either of these classes let us know.

Thanks again!

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 10, 2022 12:12PM
I like the lite outlaw class its kind of like our modified stock was if it was closer i would be in I still think a utility type class would be neat 4cyl turbo something for some 175 mfs 5000 fords and such

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2022 12:15PM by Lewis Conner.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 April 16, 2022 12:53PM
Thanks to everyone that offered input. The 10,000 pound class is intended to be an entry level class, where a competitor can step up into the Farmstock class if they wish.

The thought behind the Light Outlaw class... a stepping stone between brush pulls and sanctioned pulls (IPA Outlaw, LLSS, etc).

If anyone has interest or questions regarding these classes, send me an email or contact us through the IPA website: www.illianapullers.com

[www.illianapullers.com]

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 September 13, 2022 01:26PM
The Field Stock rules are nearly set, an announcement will be made shortly after October 1st.

There will be some changes from the original ideas posted above, but it will still be an entry level class.

Keep looking for an official announcement next month.

Ehren Lohrmann - IPA Treasurer

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 October 02, 2022 04:34AM
Any update yet?

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 October 02, 2022 05:53AM
No horse in your game but 40+ years as a puller of farm stock and now hot farm/altered farm. Whatever farm stock etc. rules you make will mean nothing 3 years from now. A box turbo and rpm's are just the small part that can be policed. Cubes rarely can. So your 480 will be a 640 to the boys who can't stand not winning. This is true in all types of "farm" classes. Same with pumps. When an organization says it's a 466 class well that's just what the block tag says. All pulling classes are money classes. The more classes you make the more money you loose and the builders/vendors make, laughing at us all. Good luck but you won't be happy down the road.

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 October 02, 2022 01:53PM
To JD43. IPA does pump and check cubic inches in tractors and then seals the blocks on them Tractors are teched every year and if the seal is broke on the block tractor has to be re pumped to confirm cubic inch of motor. Just doesn’t go by what the tag says they will be pumped and checked then sealed!!

Re: Potential New IPA Classes for 2023 October 02, 2022 02:46PM
Good job. I wish it was done in all club classes every where.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520