Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 04:48AM
I have a college-age relative, suburb kid, no involvement with motorsports at all.
Know another person, again no motor-sports background at all I'm aware of, with interests probably less than 1% of the people on this board would share.

In both cases, they somehow started watching the Netflix show about F1, and are now fans of the sport and know the drivers, etc.

With the understanding pulling is not F1 and much, much smaller potatoes, if a niche network like RFD decided to do a pulling-related reality show, maybe following 3 or 4 teams for a summer (and this does not have to be NTPA, Outlaws, or PPL-specific; I just used RFD as an example), are there pulling teams with enough humorous, colorful personalities, and perhaps even a bit of conflict, that would make for an interesting series of, let's say, a dozen shows?

Perhaps a niche reality type show may draw in a few more fans to the sport, especially if there are John Force-like personalities they could relate to. As a historical example, back when the TWD class took off in the '80s, didn't Jim Brockmann and Chris Holdorf have a nice little rivalry going?

Re: Off the wall idea #2 December 15, 2022 04:57AM
Your assignment: Go to youtube. Type "Hunt the front." Dirt late model team from the panhandle area of FL that's got quite a following and made lots of $ from youtube and other social media ventures, enough that they're getting sponsors, buying better equipment, and starting a 15-18 race super late model dirt series in the southeast that pays money pulling couldn't currently dream of.

Perhaps a creative team could do something on social media that could draw a growing following. I understand Jason Schultz has been doing something like this with Let's Grow Pulling and promoting the sport in general, but I'm talking about a specific pulling team detailing their season (and even offseason, including maintenance between events and headaches getting parts, the proverbial $0.50 cent part breaking, etc.) and growing their own fans for that pulling team like the Hunt the Front boys have done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2022 04:59AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Off the wall idea #2 December 15, 2022 06:18AM
The Original Michael
Your assignment: Go to youtube. Type "Hunt the front." Dirt late model team from the panhandle area of FL that's got quite a following and made lots of $ from youtube and other social media ventures, enough that they're getting sponsors, buying better equipment, and starting a 15-18 race super late model dirt series in the southeast that pays money pulling couldn't currently dream of.

Perhaps a creative team could do something on social media that could draw a growing following. I understand Jason Schultz has been doing something like this with Let's Grow Pulling and promoting the sport in general, but I'm talking about a specific pulling team detailing their season (and even offseason, including maintenance between events and headaches getting parts, the proverbial $0.50 cent part breaking, etc.) and growing their own fans for that pulling team like the Hunt the Front boys have done.
I have something like there series and v2 videos YouTube page in the works for the upcoming year hopefully if everything can work out right. The only problem I’m having at the moment is what all to do during the off-season.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 05:28AM
Tom mcconnel tried a reality show back in 2016 with hooked on dirt kind of like what you are talking about, its on youtube.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 05:39AM
Sorry -- puller 892 was already typing it out when I was,lol, didn't know it till I posted, yep that was the name - Hooked on Dirt !!!

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 05:36AM
Tom McConnell had a series on a few yrs back following some teams in Ky, all episodes are on YouTube, can't remember the name exactly, something about " dirt " was in the title.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 05:46AM
The problem with any "reality " show is they always try a put a bad spin on it. Pulling is a legitimate motorsport. Points, champions, fair and honest results. Totally opposite than what a reality show will portray. There is nothing real in a reality show.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

? for Dick Morgan December 15, 2022 05:49AM
Dick Morgan
The problem with any "reality " show is they always try a put a bad spin on it. Pulling is a legitimate motorsport. Points, champions, fair and honest results. Totally opposite than what a reality show will portray. There is nothing real in a reality show.

Dick, that is not necessarily true all the time. There are cesspools like Tiger King and Sister Wives, but I have seen more niche shows that show both good and bad times, but not a sleazefest all the time.

If the F1 Netflix show was painting F1 in a bad light, then how do you explain the exploding interest in the US, including 3 Grand Prix's on the 2023 schedule?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2022 06:08AM by The Original Michael.

Re: ? for Dick Morgan December 15, 2022 06:22AM
The problem is that each individual has their own expectations and satisfaction based on the "TASTE" and after thoughts of said experience.

Re: ? for Dick Morgan December 15, 2022 06:25AM
I am certainly no expert in the reality show world, and if the show was done with the object of portraying the sport in a positive light then I agree it could be beneficial. However there is always the risk with the reality show audience that they gravitate to garbage. If pulling could manage the production it could work. Having said that who is your target audience?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: ? for Dick Morgan December 15, 2022 07:28AM
The Original Michael

Dick, that is not necessarily true all the time. There are cesspools like Tiger King and Sister Wives, but I have seen more niche shows that show both good and bad times, but not a sleazefest all the time.

If the F1 Netflix show was painting F1 in a bad light, then how do you explain the exploding interest in the US, including 3 Grand Prix's on the 2023 schedule?

The quality and integrity of reality television programming lies much in the intent of the executive producer, AKA the money behind the deal. The F1 show is a high quality production; I can't bring myself to sit through more than 5 minutes of the Street Outlaws show. If someone dove into the world of pulling, you would hope that they would err more towards the F1 product. The minute I hear banjos and fiddles in any iteration of a pulling show, I will check out.

Re: ? for Dick Morgan December 15, 2022 10:09AM
Bryan, I attended pulls in Mo. and was served fried gizzards, and catfish,with a side of crawdads. and farther south, grits, and side pork,yummy stuff, but far from normal where I hang my hat. At a Texas Road House in MS. the waitress thought my upper Midwest accent was the Cutest ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2022 11:02AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 11:25AM
Yes, Yes, Yes. I think it could work. If done correctly. We always joked about having a reality tv show and joked that we were going to call it "Dirty Hookers". It was always us joking around, nothing serious. But we always felt a pulling reality tv show could work. There are a bunch of pullers that have great personalities.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 02:48PM
avercusauto
There are a bunch of pullers that have great personalities.

Such as? Not being snarky — I’m genuinely curious who you think does. Who are the pullers who could give the drivers from Monster Jam a run for their money?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 04:03PM
Bret Berg
The Owens
The Blagraves
Esdon Lehn
The Schlabachs
Schiebla & Burge
RJ & Brandon
Ben Ellis
The Capozzos
The Veghs
Everyone at 618 Motorsports
Lance Micek
Russell Hildenbrand

Just for starters based on my experience with them. Plenty more I am sure of it. Get them comfortable where they ignore the camera's presence for real moments and start there.

CP

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 09:31PM
Charles, you forgot the guy who could possibly be the biggest star of all. Jeff Hirt.

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 01:58AM
I would have to add Van Haisley to the list as well.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 12:02AM
CPR nailed it on the names. The first 2 the come to mind were Hildebrand and Hirt. I also think Hothem, Ross, and Kehl, could all be good as well.

Re: Off the wall idea December 17, 2022 12:49AM
Avercusauto, what is his channnel name? I’m sure this thread could help him gain subscribers.

I’ve pretty much stopped watching broadcast tv and now spend my down time keeping up with several YouTube channels. Most of the episodes I watch are around 30 minutes and the key, I believe is consistent content, especially as you build your following. You need to be putting out at least 1 video a week which as mentioned above is a challenge in the off season. But, I think people are interested in what is happening in the shop too. True reality TV, real life for people getting things done, not made up drama.

Here are a few of channels that you could check out for content ideas.

Cleetus McFarland - he is probably one of the most successful automotive youtube personalities. They do some silly stuff, video time lapse of shop work, and show both successes and failures at drag racing. They are aided by racing in FL that goes on almost year round. My son got me interested in watching this and was my start in following channels.

KSR Performance and Fabrication - owns a shop where they fab race cars and tune them on a chassis dyno. Drives and/or crews for customers in both drag and road racing.

DD Speed Shop - a guy and his girlfriend in Canada that pretty much films himself working on hot rod cars in his little 2 car garage.

Steve Morris Engines - engine building shop in Michigan that does high end stuff. He has a drag and drive race car too, so he shows racing and working on that in addition to what is going on in his shop. He also puts out excellent technical content.

Gen 2 Garage - another channel of the family with Street Racing Channel and Old Mans Garage. This one isn’t as consistent because SRC is their priority, but like said above it’s real.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 03:02PM
Type in “behind the hook” on YouTube. Toledo aerial media did 3 mini episodes for BG last year. Episode 1 is Carmen Foster, episode 2 is Shmuckers, and 3 is Shane Kellog. Episode 1 is the only one out as of this moment I believe. It’s not to the level you are talking about with tv shows, but it’s in the new short video genre that’s popular right now.

Re: Off the wall idea December 15, 2022 10:23PM
Russell Hildenbrand could do a show all himself. that guy is a Character. I always look forward to the next video they post.
Simons I'm not so sure of?
Esdon Lehn either.
Jeff Hirt would be a great fit to the show, especially back when he had the Agco. pyro expert.

Has anyone ever checked out SRC (Street Racing Channel) or The Old man's Garage on Youtube? Those guys are as real as it gets. A family in Ohio that street raced and made a big name for themselves in the small tire heads up racing scene by time, dedication, and videos. I'm sure Billy and Bill could have a TV show and it be huge. Pulling could learn something from these guys.

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 12:22AM
Just watched the first episode of Behind the Hook. I'd say that was pretty well done. Wish they would have took us through the preparation a bit more, as far as tune up and last minute checks prior to and during staging.

But overall I enjoyed it. As for a multiseries documentary my vote would be Jeff Hirt.

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 03:08AM
Happy Holidays to all. Let's put John Force and Jeff Hirt in the same room interview. Blast off fireworks there folks.

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 03:12AM
My son tried to get a youtube channel going on but didn't have very good luck getting view. Maybe it was content or not interesting but for a 18 year old kid it wasn't bad.
Youtube Channel Rockin P [youtu.be]

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 04:05AM
Osage Outlaw, he should keep doing it. They take a lot of time to get going. My son asked to start one, ours has zero traction. You have 192 subscribers and have mulitple videos with over 1000 views. If he starts paying attention to what videos work, he can ajdust when doing another. Pick any Youtuber and look at their early videos, they are not great, but they kept with it. I'll start following him today.

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 05:03AM
Video editing is time consuming, maybe it's gotten easier than when I was going gung ho 2 years ago. To build your brand, you need to post consistently on multiple platforms. I feel that this is a good idea, but needs to be handled at the team level, not relying on somebody else to come around and follow you. Millennial Farmer has a channel of his race team, does a pretty decent job I thought. I'd keep the videos in the 15-20 minute mark, learn to edit out dead time, add some humor and show all sides of pulling, and it'd be interesting to watch for the casual fan.

---

Re: Off the wall idea December 17, 2022 06:23AM
Osage outlaw
My son tried to get a youtube channel going on but didn't have very good luck getting view. Maybe it was content or not interesting but for a 18 year old kid it wasn't bad.
Youtube Channel Rockin P [youtu.be]

I checked out a few of his videos last night. I’m not a YouTuber but I am a YouTube consumer. I rarely watch broadcast tv but will watch a few specific YouTube channels when I have the chance.

Just a few thoughts from an average consumer:
My favorite video on the channel was in the shop when you had the rear end opened up and were fixing the gears/bearings. I enjoyed the explanation of what was wrong, getting parts sent overnight and trying to have it back together in time for the next pull. For me personally, I like the details of how you made the operator station roll back and everything that is coming apart to get into the rear end. I would like more detail when you’re wrenching.

When at the track: I know it’s kind of sticky bc you don’t want to give away too much info about your setup, but maybe show some video of your competitors going down the track and what kind of adjustments you are making based on their performance/track conditions. Also I’d like to meet some of your competitors and hear about their tractors. It helps build a whole story line in my mind. If possible show results for the whole class and any prize money or trophies you win. I really like the view from the driver seat while pulling, but I like to see the spectator view as well. Another thing for me is to show some of the track area/other haulers and pit vehicles.

Overall for me I just want to feel like I’m there and feel the emotion whether good or bad. I like to experience it as if I’m riding along or walking around with you. For me the more details you can show to paint a picture for me the better. I hope your son sticks with it as I will be looking forward to more videos from him. Good luck and I enjoy the channel so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2022 06:25AM by Stretch.

Re: Off the wall idea January 28, 2023 08:08AM
[youtube.com]

This is my Yourube channel
I cover wisconsin and the surrounding area as other channels such as beer money pulling team cover nationwide as well as truck and tractors already. Most of my stuff is antique which doesn’t get me the views but at least makes the videos slightly longer. Feel free to check it out and send me some feedback. I love to know what ppl think. I don’t check pull off much any more but found in my analytics this I’ve had a few hundred views stemming from Pulloff.

Re: Off the wall idea January 29, 2023 08:30AM
Wisconsin Tractor Pulling Forum
[youtube.com]

This is my Yourube channel
I cover wisconsin and the surrounding area as other channels such as beer money pulling team cover nationwide as well as truck and tractors already. Most of my stuff is antique which doesn’t get me the views but at least makes the videos slightly longer. Feel free to check it out and send me some feedback. I love to know what ppl think. I don’t check pull off much any more but found in my analytics this I’ve had a few hundred views stemming from Pulloff.

I'm a subscriber, great channel

Re: Off the wall idea December 16, 2022 09:14AM
It would be interesting to see if Bauer or Conny could do it. Bauer would be more interesting as he maintains the sleds and a small collection of mini's, mods, unlimiteds... I believe it needs to be some team that can showcase the professionalism of the sport, the commitment and investment to run the whole season.
Just my $0.02.

Re: Off the wall idea December 17, 2022 04:52AM
Russ and Deb Hildenbrand for sure. Check out his Facebook page and all the crazy stuff he does in the shop.
Kris Hoyt and the crew. They used to race snowmobiles across ponds etc.that would make good off season footage.
Lots of characters in brush pulling for sure.

Re: Off the wall idea December 19, 2022 01:49PM
Just got back from Vegas and most people have no clue whats going on reguarding th F! race and they live there!!!! Some that do know thinks its going to be a huge pain in the butt that week. I am thinking of going for it as part of it goes rite down the strip where i stay!!! could be fun or a pain, I don`t know....

Re: Off the wall idea January 29, 2023 10:09AM
I think something like this could work. Seems like behind the hook was really well done if someone with the money would get behind it and put them with Russell and company it'd be great. Idk about making the show but how can you not mention RJ and Brandon with the number of vehicles they have toters and lifestyle it would have to make a show. Give some behind the scenes of what they do for a living farming 7,000 head of cattle probably is something to see much less the trucking. It's a really great idea and I wish this thread would tun into a reality!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520