A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 25, 2023 04:37AM
First off, I want to get out of the way that I am not your guy when it comes to the technical / engineering aspects of the sport. I grew up on a farm, but I was a private school kid. I’m actually in medical school now, with aspirations to one-day practice some form of surgery. All that being said, I absolutely love the sport of tractor pulling, and I think my experiences with one foot in the agricultural world and one foot in the urban world provide me with a somewhat unique point of view when it comes to the sport. Since we just had an exam, I have a rare off-day and wanted to share some things that have been on my mind, mainly along the lines of promotion. I think there’s things we could be doing to potentially appeal to a larger audience - and a lot of that revolves around the NFMS pull.

1. I understand there’s a lot of contracts/politics with anything regarding NFMS, but I think presentation & merchandise are worth discussing. The television production value of the MATS pull completely blew the NFMS pull out of the water in my opinion. Better video resolution, wider variety of camera angles, more professional-looking fonts/graphics - it was a completely different ballgame compared to what we usually get at NFMS. The NFMS pull is our Super Bowl and our biggest opportunity for growth; we need to present it as such.

2. I actually think the filmed driver intros are a great way to shave a little time off the show; however, I think the execution could be tweaked - it looked pretty corny and low-budget on livestream. Bring in a green screen, have the drivers do their intros, attach some graphics/transitions, then overlay it onto the live camera feed in the transition period before that particular class starts (similar to Sunday Night Football or something).

3. Along those lines, I think the show could use a “color” commentator with technical and/or driving expertise, similar to Harold Walliser back in the day. Miles and Dan do a great job, but they both strike me as more “play-by-play” guys. For any commentary changes to make any difference for the fans in the stands, however, it goes without saying that we have to get that sound system fixed.

4. Lastly, I think NFMS is potentially missing out on a solid chunk of income/engagement by not having better merchandise designs, particularly when it comes to shirts/hoodies. I wear pulling apparel on campus, and do actually get a fair bit of comments, but there is no shot I’m wearing some of that NFMS stuff in public. The yearly hats are nice, but I’d maybe look into tweaking colors or something each year like they used to. No reason to buy a 2023 hat when it looks the exact same as 2020’s.

5. BMPT has amassed quite a following nationwide, and is an absolutely invaluable asset to the sport. For many people, BMPT’s posts are likely some of the only exposure they get to tractor pulling. Sometimes, however, it seems like BMPT takes a “quantity over quality” approach with their content, and it suffers. I would encourage the team to maybe look at filtering/proofreading some of their content. The die-hards obviously won’t care, but that could be a turnoff for some people on the outside looking in.

6. Way Outside the Box: Let’s utilize the BMPT platform to reach out to representatives from automotive celebrities / YouTubers for potential involvement. Personalities like Tony Stewart & Jeremy Clarkson, or YouTube channels like Whistlin’ Diesel & SmarterEveryDay come to mind. Those are obviously dream-world scenarios, but if we can somehow get people like that to NFMS or Bowling Green, treat them to a great show, and get them interested, the doors could be blown open in terms of funding, content, and audience size.

Overall, I think the sport as a whole and the NFMS pull are fine as is. If no changes get made, I will still be chomping at the bit for tickets/livestreams when my schedule allows it. I love this sport, and I greatly appreciate the effort that goes into making these events happen. I just think we can do even better.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 25, 2023 02:23PM
I am in agreement with some, if not all of the points you make.

Here is a video by Smarter Everyday about pulling
[m.youtube.com]

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 27, 2023 01:00AM
I’ve gotta agree with everything you said. Especially regarding commentators/announcers. I’ve been to pulls where the announcers came off as if they’ve never seen a puller in their life and listening to some of them is like “wtf is this feller even talking about?”. I think you hit it right on with media personalities. Whistlin diesel I think would really enjoy it

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 27, 2023 03:21PM
Nalley
I’ve gotta agree with everything you said. Especially regarding commentators/announcers. I’ve been to pulls where the announcers came off as if they’ve never seen a puller in their life and listening to some of them is like “wtf is this feller even talking about?”. I think you hit it right on with media personalities. Whistlin diesel I think would really enjoy it

No offense to Whistlindiesel. He found a niche, and has exploited it to his own personal gain, and for that he is to be applauded. However, I'm not at all convinced he would be one to promote the sport of pulling. He has a following for sure, but most of his following is invested in seeing what kind of over the top stunt he can do next, especially if it involves destroying something.

Popularity alone does not qualify a person to be a good spokesperson.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 28, 2023 09:21AM
No you are definitely right he doesn’t come across as the one to promote pulling but you also gotta think before his channel started he was already into diesels and most of his fans are as well because that’s where he started. Now I could be completely wrong here but I’d say off camera he’s probably into all sorts of diesel sports. Hell he could be a pulling fan right now. Never know. Now I’m not sure how he would implement it into his videos though. He could do some kind of meet and greet at a pull and get people there. Maybe somebody that’s a WhistlinDiesel fan would let him run a tractor or truck. Obviously something a little underpowered of course LOL. really all sorts of ways to bring attention to it. Somebody just has to be willing to do it. I definitely don’t mean he’s the only one to be able to do it but he’s one that COULD do it. Food for thought I guess

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: March 03, 2023 09:29AM
Whistlindiesel is the fellow that tried to destroy an IH 1206 .......... He would be lucky to leave a tractor pull with his life.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 27, 2023 01:04AM
I have watched some of his videos in the past of other engineering topics. I would really enjoy him going to the NFMS or more so...go to Shipshewana and explain the VERY well executed dance of tractors and transport vehicles there. I saw that tractor pull explained vid when he first released it and still like sending it to people that do not fully understand pulling.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 25, 2023 04:13PM
LOVE this and definitely agree with you. It doesn't and wouldn't take much for us to get to the next level and step up with our sport and engagement with the public.

Food for thought February 26, 2023 02:00AM
I watched the Beer Money podcast about the legalized betting announcement several days lafter it aired. There were several champion-level pullers plus the regular hosts of the podcast.

One 40,000 foot takeaway was how not one of them could find anything at all that wasn't a glowing endorsement of fullpullbets, with one puller actually saying something to the effect of if you don't like this idea, you aren't a pulling fan or you don't like pulling.

Others made dismissive remarks about some posters or threads on this message board, including the Nichols twd tire thread. While pulloff.com is a small subset of pulling fandom, I would suggest anyone interested enough to seek out a message board devoted to pulling and post here would also be someone that is more likely to spend lots of $ supporting pulling and pullers.

Aside from all the alcohol references throughout the podcast, one puller chugged a beer and others were encouraged to do the same as tales were told about being drunk at pulls and passing out under generators.

I point this out not to play morality police, just to ask this:

If your intent is to grow the sport, is this the best light to shine? The guys on the podcast were just having fun with the banter, but I cannot think of any other motorsport where guys talking about their drinking escapades would be viewed as a great marketing tool.

Combimed with the nature of comments regarding people who posted questions about the gaming app, it did not come across as the best way to market the sport, which is the stated intent of the Beer Money podcast in the first place.

All that to say, please be mindful how you as a puller, announcer, promoter or other pulling personality represent the sport. We all have opinions; a different opinion is not necessarily wrong. We all have ways to unwind and have fun, but not all of those need to be shared.

Re: Food for thought February 26, 2023 11:27PM
Very well stated Michael. If we want to be taken seriously as professionals we need to present ourselves as professionals at all times. You never know who might be watching. For the sake of conversation maybe a guy has a business relationship that could lead to a sponsorship and after watching that opts out and has no interest in pulling because of how they were introduced to it. The old saying there is a time and a place for everything. Be mindful of time, place and potential audience.

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 12:22AM
The original poster here presented some of the best ideas I've heard of regarding enhancing the sport. While most ideas centered around NFMS the same ideas apply to many if not all pulls.

One thought on BMPT is that I appreciate their marketing of the sport, they've done nothing but good for pulling. But I agree with the original poster that they over do it. On an average day they post several of seemingly the same video/photos. Spread that content out a bit! Quality over quantity folks.

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 01:06AM
The Original Michael
I watched the Beer Money podcast about the legalized betting announcement several days lafter it aired. There were several champion-level pullers plus the regular hosts of the podcast.

One 40,000 foot takeaway was how not one of them could find anything at all that wasn't a glowing endorsement of fullpullbets, with one puller actually saying something to the effect of if you don't like this idea, you aren't a pulling fan or you don't like pulling.

Others made dismissive remarks about some posters or threads on this message board, including the Nichols twd tire thread. While pulloff.com is a small subset of pulling fandom, I would suggest anyone interested enough to seek out a message board devoted to pulling and post here would also be someone that is more likely to spend lots of $ supporting pulling and pullers.

Aside from all the alcohol references throughout the podcast, one puller chugged a beer and others were encouraged to do the same as tales were told about being drunk at pulls and passing out under generators.

I point this out not to play morality police, just to ask this:

If your intent is to grow the sport, is this the best light to shine? The guys on the podcast were just having fun with the banter, but I cannot think of any other motorsport where guys talking about their drinking escapades would be viewed as a great marketing tool.

Combimed with the nature of comments regarding people who posted questions about the gaming app, it did not come across as the best way to market the sport, which is the stated intent of the Beer Money podcast in the first place.

All that to say, please be mindful how you as a puller, announcer, promoter or other pulling personality represent the sport. We all have opinions; a different opinion is not necessarily wrong. We all have ways to unwind and have fun, but not all of those need to be shared.
Better than when the host is on there live completely bombed himself! Leaves a pretty good impression. That’s happened more than once

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 05:19AM
Just my 2 cents here, but the posting bmpt is doing is pretty much for the advancement of bmpt. Don't you think there's a reason you see all the videos and shots promoting Hart's stuff? How about the wrap on his trailer?That's not just coincidence. There's real money in social media. He's got a huge following and tons of people see his stuff. Maybe I'm jaded, but that's my take.

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 07:29AM
I've watched a few BMPT videos. I'm not sure the non-pulling public gets to see them. It may be an algorithm where if you've visited other pulling videos it comes on your FB page. Some of them I like but some I'm not interested in. He is definitely getting a self-advantage with doing them and I have no problem with that. It takes time, money and equipment to do it. I think it can be a double-edged sword on how you represent pulling in today's world. Some of us really like blowing black smoke but non-pullers may see it in a different way. I know even videoing on a dairy farm can be tricky with the non-farm public. Most can't actually show the cows up close for all kinds of reasons.
I've always felt that most advertising for pulling you get is at the event. The announcer can make or break the event for the fans. We have some great announcers in our area and they explain each class very good. There are so many look alike classes and fans do want to know the differences.
This page has done a super job for the sport. The best thing all of us puller/fans should always do is be positive with our comments. I've turned the site off many times when pullers called fans- keyboard pullers etc. We can be the best advertisers of our sport, or we can be the worst.

Re: Food for thought March 01, 2023 05:08AM
The slow pace at big shows is for financial reasons ( beer sales) . This came directly from a person who promotes pulling

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 01:06PM
Do you have a podcast or take videos and post them? You start a lot of threads on pulloff! What exactly do you bring to the table other wise? I am not being a smart ass or starting any @#$%&! I sponsor tractor pulling ! Promoting the sport is hard ! I am just curious if you are a promoter or a sponsor or are strictly on the pulloff site?

Re: Food for thought February 27, 2023 01:07PM
That post was for THE ORIGINAL MICHAEL

Re: Food for thought February 28, 2023 01:48AM
Hello Chris.

chris h
Do you have a podcast or take videos and post them?
No. Do you?

chris h
You start a lot of threads on pulloff!
This is a message board whose purpose is to discuss issues related to truck and tractor pulling, is it not?

chris h
What exactly do you bring to the table other wise? I am not being a smart ass or starting any @#$%&!
I must have missed the pulloff.com Terms of Service that required anyone to bring anything to the table. I accept you at your word on the second sentence, but that's awfully close to calling someone the dreaded "Keyboard puller" that some on here use to dismiss people with different opinions on pulling issues.

chris h
I sponsor tractor pulling ! Promoting the sport is hard !
Nobody has ever suggested otherwise.

chris h
I am just curious if you are a promoter or a sponsor or are strictly on the pulloff site?
I am a fan, and mentioned that a number of times. Have been for over 50 years. My life path did not include running a pulling operation, but that doesn't prevent a number of us from enjoying the sport, and advocating for things we feel would enhance or at least maintain it. I don't run a top fuel dragster or Nascar Cup car either but that doesn't stop me from having thoughts and opinions about other motorsports I enjoy.

As a gentle aside, please refer back to the post you're replying to. Is it a good idea for a promoter to ask fans if they "bring anything to the table?" As it relates to a pull promoter, people like me (also known as fans) bring ourselves, families, and friends to your events, buying tickets and concessions so there can be a pull in the first place.

We fully understand pullers and promoters have exponentially more financial and time investment, but just as there is no pull without pullers and promoters, there wouldn't be pulls without spectators either. Who would sponsor a pull or tractor if there was nobody in the stands to see their product?

Best wishes for your pull in 2023.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2023 01:48AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Food for thought February 28, 2023 02:38PM
I, for one truly value the contributions that "The Original Michael " brings to the site. Thank you for adding interesting and informative comments.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: February 28, 2023 11:17AM
I agree with most everything the op said but want to add one thing. I think that something needs to be done to speed things up. From the local pulls up to the big events there is too much dead time . As a small time puller myself I realize what it takes to get a tractor down the track but I think there needs to be a way to keep things moving. Even baseball has taken major steps to cut dead time out due to declining ratings.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: March 01, 2023 05:50AM
Agree with speeding things up. One way to do this, shorten the distances pulled. Less time to get down the track. Less time for the sled to get back. Less area that the track prep crew has to cover, etc. For example, a 15% time improvement could cut almost 30 minutes out of a 3hr show. Also, starting the events ON TIME helps cut down the overall time. Tractor pulling is the worst for starting on time - other than the big shows but even those can slip.

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: March 01, 2023 08:56AM
Re: SBJD oil circuit modification ideasthis minute
Just my 2 pennies
You need to attend a region 2 hook run by Tom Jackson. He starts on time unless its out of his absolute control. Everyone knows to be ready because he moves them along quickly. The only time I've seen him go slow was because the promoter demanded it be a certain length of time.

I agree the quantity vs quality of bmpt posts, but it's their page to do as they like. The livestreams when he's plastered, talks over the guests, is rude or condensending are when I turn them off. Once again it's their page they can do as they like.

I truly enjoy the interviews when the other hosts get a chance to talk and ask the interviewee great questions and get them to share stories. I always enjoy Charles, Paul, Cody and Ryan because they each come from a different perspective of pulling and the questions they bring. I don't always get the technical aspect of all the classes but when Charles can geek out with the interviewee it makes me more interested. (That was not meant to be offensive). That's what pulling needs is people to set aside their ego and pull in people from different aspects. Did you read the two articles Ryan wrote on the NFMS? They were great and the one really pulled at your emotions if you've ever been a part of pulling there and maybe the same if you're a fan. That's what pulling needs something that pulls people's interest to check out something different. Have you checked out Cody's photography? A pic is worth a thousand words and his say more than that. I especially enjoyed the one he did with different lights around a tractor in the dark. He did one with truck in a field and it was sweet. Sharing amazing photos that can pull you in to ask more That's more of what we need. Paul did a story on a steam engine pulling a sled at a pull. I never had interest in steam engines really but after that discussion I looked into it more. These guys could take pullers stories and truly make something special and I think they try but are often not able to get in a word.

The comment made by the host on the gambling "this is happening and you can't stop it" was rude, disrespectful and distasteful.

Speaking of quantity and quality have you noticed the number of posts the NTPA Social Media has now and how a lot of them you see are recycled posts, you'll see the same thing on ntpa, outlaw and bmpt. Gee I wonder why...

The pullers spotlights done by the blue shirts were great and we'll done. I look forward to more of those.

Have you checked out the other pulling media sites? Sidetracked always has different motorsports content mostly pulling and drags. Past and present videos and pictures that get people talking and sharing. There's others that just don't have the funding maybe that bmpt has behind them but they're not any less important. Just like in pulling we need all the pullers, they're not all high dollar teams or always winning Championships but pulling needs them all. So maybe it's some of our own fault if we don't support the other media outlets including pulloff (considering the number of comments on here recently pulloff certainly isn't forgotten).

We all need to promote pulling and promote it well not just to each other but to those outside pulling. When we come home from a pull we'll share videos on the TV at the local bar/grille with our friends and as time went on more people want to know if we have new videos. We can go there for dinner and mavtv will be on and someone will say you just missed pulling or pulling is on and they'll ask questions to us. We'll share our schedule and talk about bucket list pulls they should look into. Will they go, who knows but they certainly can't go if they don't know about it or don't know anyone pulling

Re: A younger fan’s perspective - State of Pulling / NFMS / BMPT: March 03, 2023 08:40AM
SOAPBOX .....

"You need to attend a region 2 hook run by Tom Jackson. He starts on time unless its out of his absolute control. Everyone knows to be ready because he moves them along quickly. The only time I've seen him go slow was because the promoter demanded it be a certain length of time."

It is my pet peeve as well when any pull does not start on time. In the tower Ms.Judy and myself are absolutely ready and waiting at 6:50 .I always like to have my first tractor on the hook and setting there because when I end with a prayer for the fans and the pullers it's time for some NOISE !! Yes Tom Jackson does an outstanding job as well as Jim Miller, Melisa , our entry clerks, and everyone else it takes to produce a quality event for the pullers and the fans. And don't take me the wrong way ... There are a lot of promoters and bodies like PPL, The Maumee Valley Pullers, COTPC, and so many more that really work hard at it. A fellow Announcer who has now deceased once told me, " You've has all this time to start on time "

I'm done....for now.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,652, Posts: 229,727, Members: 3,326.
This forum: Topics: 37,069, Posts: 225,914.

Our newest member JD_8520