Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs April 28, 2023 06:46AM
[www.youtube.com]

I've been around pulling for many years and was really impressed with this video..A guy thats obviously never been around pulling did some great interviews and explains pulling in detail...If I had never seen a pull it would make me want to go and watch one..Be sure and watch his other video.

In 8 months its had 2.2 million views and 7000 comments..

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs April 28, 2023 07:33AM
Destin did awesome with this video. There is a video in the description of more behind the scenes and interviews. Would love to see his reaction with some of the bigger classes such as Pro Stocks and Diesel Supers.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs April 28, 2023 08:06AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that he has 11M subscribers and probably most of them have never seen a truck and tractor pull....Hopefully,in the future he will go to a pull with 4-5 engine Mods-DSS,etc where the horsepower can be discussed.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 01, 2023 01:16PM
It was an interesting video. I liked that it was pretty grassroots if you will. Would be interesting to see him at BG and what his thoughts and reactions to all the GN equipment and classes. I think he would be a great candidate to do an explanation and reaction to how the big multi engine mods work. Get him into the seat of Mini, help spray ether to a DSS, set him at the scales for a class, go through tech inspection. And of course the party afterwards lol.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 01, 2023 02:26PM
The average person sitting in the stands does not care what size tires or turbos or blowers whatever is going down the track has on it. They are there for a social event. So many times we as pullers think that they (the fans) care more than they actually do about what we are doing. I’ve seen this first hand by promoting events & also participating. If you want to take things to the next level, it takes unorthodox angles of promotion like this video to reach people who are just looking for a social event to attend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2023 02:27PM by Cody.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 01, 2023 03:29PM
Yes, I mostly agree with you. There are serious fans who know the ins and outs. There are gearheads from other motorsports who are impressed by the technology and horsepower, even of they can’t tell a super farm from a limited pro. But the vast majority of the butts in the seats are there to be entertained. That needs to be job #1

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 02, 2023 08:31AM
I understand the "fans don't care" sentiment. There's some truth to that. On the other hand, the fans might care more if presented more information in an accessible and interesting way. NFL fans seem to care about the rules, player stats, locker room dynamics, and tons of other pretty detailed and often technical aspects of the game. But I would say NFL fans only care because the NFL and its broadcasters made a conscious decision to teach them. And the fans found that the learning was entertaining.

I don't know if tractor pulling is all that different.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 02, 2023 10:05AM
Unfortunately without good announcing the average fan only see a tractor parade. To some fans the hooded tractors all look alike. Same track, almost the same speed going down the track and almost the same winning distance. That why it's so important to alternate classes. Run a mod class and/or a truck class. I don't understand running any look alike classes side by side. Pulling could do such a better job on how they present the product. The show has to be exciting, fast paced and finish at a reasonable time.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2023 10:07AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 02, 2023 02:40PM
Here’s a little test. Next time you’re at a pull, take a rough count of how many actual fans are walking thru the pits & actually looking at the equipment. Then when the show starts, look at the crowd. This will give you a rough ratio of how many actual gear heads/technical fans are there. We as pullers get lost in our own little world thinking that everyone who comes to a pull is as passionate about the sport as we are & that’s just not true.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 02, 2023 11:35PM
Cody you're 100% correct!

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 03, 2023 01:22AM
I have had more than one "casual fan" that supports one pull a year ask me when they find out how many pulls I go to ask me why they don't pull off any more! From a "show" perspective that has had an affect on the casual fan like it or not. Some have told me they wouldn't be back. The big crowds in Europe have been mentioned on here. They pull off in Europe! It is good for the show! Maybe it would be better to stop having regional classes at GN events and use that money to pay the GN guys to pull off!

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 03, 2023 08:30AM
Here is an argument for pulloffs, anymore everybody is pushing too hard and on the ragged edge every pass down the track. I agree, not having pulloffs took away some of the excitement but it was for longevity reasons. Parts are hard to come by anymore and are expensive. Too many bridges have been crossed to turn back to give vehicles reliability like they had a short 20 years ago when guys would run back to back if needed. A good example is the mod class at Louisville this year. Ran back to back and ended up melting pistons if not worse. Limits werent put in place when they should have been to limit horsepower from both a reliability and cost standpoint now the GN classes are just a game of who has the deepest pockets and can afford to keep fixing pull after pull. With a few exceptions, how many catastrohic failures do you see in super farm? You really dont often because its a class that does have limits to protect itself and give longevity. Look at Keystones this year, two super farms in a pulloff neither hurt themselves as far as I’m aware and they hooked in the pulloff with less than 15 minutes cool down time. You wont see a DSS doing that, nor a GN modified, and pro stocks are almost at the same point. Just my observations.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 03, 2023 08:49AM
So I guess the parts in Europe are better than the parts over here? They pull off over there! And the crowds like the full pulls and pulloffs. And the comparison of Mods or Unlimiteds to sf is like comparing the New York Yankees to pee wee baseball. All the breakage used to be blamed on pulloffs, guess that argument is out the window? There is no less breakage without the pulloff as many are setting them on kill for the one pass. The "show" aspect is better with pulloffs from the "casual fan" perspective that attends once a year. The local venues need THOSE fans to buy tickets. There aren't many that travel from venue to venue like some.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 03, 2023 01:42PM
This is Lewis conner Jake if you can get me signed back in i would appreciate turbo on computerer blew up and i cant get it done ,Now for the poor excuse of the longevity of engines being pushed to hard thats the pullers stupidity not the fans fault as stated all classes go around the same speed and the same distance Make some rules that cut the power back to get the longevity back in play the fans will get the same show se pull offs again the pullers will have more money in there pocket AND there will be more tractors and pullers come back to the sport the only down fall will be first first place wont be baught

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 03, 2023 03:20PM
facts
This is Lewis conner Jake if you can get me signed back in i would appreciate turbo on computerer blew up and i cant get it done ,Now for the poor excuse of the longevity of engines being pushed to hard thats the pullers stupidity not the fans fault as stated all classes go around the same speed and the same distance Make some rules that cut the power back to get the longevity back in play the fans will get the same show se pull offs again the pullers will have more money in there pocket AND there will be more tractors and pullers come back to the sport the only down fall will be first first place wont be baught

This is exactly what I was trying to get at…

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 02:04AM
No technical rules are necessary. 1 change would do it. You're pulling off. That's it. You blow your stuff up and can't come back, that's on you. No one made you put the kill tune in. This sport here doesn't have the balls to do it though. No one will stand up in the driver's meeting and say here's a towel to cry into because we're doing this.

CP

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 03:05AM
cpr
No technical rules are necessary. 1 change would do it. You're pulling off. That's it. You blow your stuff up and can't come back, that's on you. No one made you put the kill tune in. This sport here doesn't have the balls to do it though. No one will stand up in the driver's meeting and say here's a towel to cry into because we're doing this.

CP

Charles, to me the problem would be getting organizations to stick together to enforce it. Organization #1 throws down the gauntlet, the pullers run crying to org #2 who's saying come on in we won't make you do that. Org. #1 is now out of business for trying to stand up & make a difference, yet in the end nothing has changed.....

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 12:50AM
The pull off or not thing is alike the 1000ft thing in NHRA. Dialed in to prevent breakage, but where are they now? You probably see more often Benny-The-Bomb runs today than back when it were the true 1/4ml , with more plastic confetti and grinded concrete during a single season than ever before they switched to 1000ft.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 04:27AM
Here's an option. Run all the classes and have the pull offs at the end of the show. Give plenty of time for recovery. Also, for the fans it's an incentive to stay until the end for the grand finale. The two caveats are the main show needs to be fast (limit sled resets) and sled changes need to be quick and smooth between classes during the pull off.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 03:35PM
I like that. You would run the classes that can turn around the quickest at the end. Also makes the pulloff like a new class, the track could be significantly different than the first run. At a 2 track venue the pulloff could even be on the other track, rewarding the puller that can read the track and adapt.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 04, 2023 06:26PM
I love the idea of TripleAlphaProcess, with all pull offs at the end of the show.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 05, 2023 01:01AM
Triple- You might be onto something there!!!! As long as the show speed is fast and sled set right or very close the first time. I have been to shows where there is 55-65 hooks twin track and it took 4 hrs...... WAAY TO LONGGGGGG. i was at a outlaw show 100 hooks 2 tracks 3 hrs... WHY the difference in time!!! If you want the pulloff at the end get the main show done in a timely manner.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 05, 2023 03:33AM
In theory this sounds great, in the real world it won't work. If a puller is in a pulloff and his class has run first then there is a strong likelihood that he will have to wait 3-5 hours for his pulloff. And the way some pulls are run the pullers will be hooking in front of empty stands.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 05, 2023 06:05AM
Dick Morgan
In theory this sounds great, in the real world it won't work. If a puller is in a pulloff and his class has run first then there is a strong likelihood that he will have to wait 3-5 hours for his pulloff. And the way some pulls are run the pullers will be hooking in front of empty stands.

As a puller I would rather wait 3-4 hours for a pull off than to have to rush just to get back to the starting line, be unprepared and risk damaging my equipment without an opportunity to look things over and make sure myself and my vehicle is ready to go. The few times I have had to do it have been miserable, especially because half the time you don't know you're in a pull off until someone comes and tells you. Then you have to race back to trailer to get more ice and fuel and water, cool down your engine, tighten your clamps, check your air pressure and hitch height...etc, then weave your way through 30 vehicles that are already lined up for the next class. If the session is 5 hours it's already too long for any type of pull off, anyways.

This type of format has worked in several other types of motorsports including drag racing, motor cross, and dirt track racing. The stands are plenty full for the feature. I'm curious as to whether any major events or promotors have tried this format.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 08, 2023 01:45AM
All a pull-off does in this day and age is make it so a good tractor is punished for a bad sled setting.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 06, 2023 02:13PM
I think one of the things that is missing from this pulloff vs no pulloff discussion is not so much a pulloff now and then but the length of the season and the real life wear and tear on parts. Years ago when beyond 300' was a pulloff I found myself in pulloffs at about every third event, when you attend a lot of events these extra passes add up to real wear and cost in regard replacing rods in particular as well as other parts. We were having to replace rods in three engines part way through the season, I had the feeling of being punished for being good at this pulling game. Yeah that's my choice but at the same time isn't it a benefit to promoters and fans if I have less breakage and can go to more events?

Having said that if they told me tomorrow that the track was 300' and we were having pulloffs I'd be there 95% of the time. There are times when it's just not the best choice.

S'no Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2023 02:17PM by S'no Farmer.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 07, 2023 07:57AM
I think this Pulloff idea is a starting point to separate GN & RN events. This could give GN events a little more “separation” from RN events.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 08, 2023 12:19AM
Don't get me wrong Todd but the wear of parts is the same as for all other competitors. Either everyone will turn this wheel and deal with the additional effort as outcome of pull offs, or everybody tune a bit down to let last rods and bearings a few more runs.

I can't help but I'm very often comparing our sport with some of the other famous powerful motorsport categories. And also with their historical changes during the last decades. One example is top fuel drag racing. Back in the 70s they had sometimes 64 car shows, which started in the morning and run until 3am next morning. Whatta torture for the audience to have such a long show to attend. And also for the teams, which in some cases have to re-run 4-6 times. Yes, the finalists run their equipment 6 times during that day. But the overall attitude, considering a few exceptions, were totally different compared what came pretty normal during the 80s, with ALL IN at every run, no matter what it costs. In the late 70s Garlits told that running a match race campaign over 8-10 events per year against Muldowney was a real plague. He couldn't go with her any longer, because he was eager to safe his equipment for the next event, but she wants to win EVERY run, no matter what it costs. He said, this events of secondarily importance aren't worth to waste parts that he had worked on so many hours to get them done etc. He decided to tack first prio at the championship, and race match races with safe tune up only. A man with clear priorities who knows how far his means last and how deep his pockets are.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 08, 2023 09:42AM
First off I don't think it is the same for everyone, those of us that run Hemi's have to change rods way more frequently than those running wedge headed engines due to the weight of our pistons. Bearing wear can be effected by tune up more than rods. For us at least the rods get changed at around 35 passes regardless of how hard we run because of heat cycles and fatigue.

We don't run our stuff as hard as some people seem to think and I will come back for a pulloff under most circumstances. We ran 35 plus passes last year on four engines and only changed one or two bearing and those could have lasted but the engine was apart for other issues. We don't run a lot of timing nor do we run very lean. We've tried to strike a happy medium between running good enough to compete yet not hurt parts.

I may need to follow the Garlet example and slow things down.

S'no Farmer

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 08, 2023 09:53PM
Sounds interesting Todd, especially the different relation about which item has what impact (piston weight or setting). I think you already found a good compromise between competitiveness and reliability and costs. Keep going that way and we will enjoy to see your machines at upcoming events.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 09, 2023 12:47AM
CP does that mean we will see pull offs at TPC?

TriplAlphaProcess that is why the full pull mark needs to be announced before the class starts or like NTPA a set distance. Not announced or made 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the class. Then pullers know right away they are coming back and not to keep pushing it past that mark and can be prepared. Most sleds these days are pretty good they know what setting most times is going to put everyone close and just a few over the mark.

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 09, 2023 12:55AM
I'd love to say yes, but it's not up to just me. We put out there long ago that it would be floating finish for TPC and I would not want it to be changed 10 days before the event. Being consistent in what we said we would do is far more important than my personal preferences.

CP

Re: Heres The Kind Of Promotion That Pulling Needs May 09, 2023 04:49AM
Badger Fan
CP does that mean we will see pull offs at TPC?

TriplAlphaProcess that is why the full pull mark needs to be announced before the class starts or like NTPA a set distance. Not announced or made 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the class. Then pullers know right away they are coming back and not to keep pushing it past that mark and can be prepared. Most sleds these days are pretty good they know what setting most times is going to put everyone close and just a few over the mark.

Totally agree, wish it would happen more often...Just decide 300 or 330 or 310 or whatever and make sure it's well marked and accurate.

One more idea I would add to my above suggestion is if there is going to be a pull off, and you pull past that set distance, and there is then a sled reset you are automatically in the pull-off. You don't add any extra hooks to the event and an early puller isn't penalized by having to possibly run their equipment three times.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason