If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 06, 2024 01:11AM
What would pro and super stock classes look like if the engine were made to match the sheet metal? Would guys buy red (SS) or green (PS) sheet metal, or decide to change to a different class or quit the sport?

I think one offshoot is the ci limit for Pro Stocks would be lowered. No reason why a 680 engine is necessary.

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 06, 2024 05:09AM
There’d be some Massey’s at the farm show instead of none this year,

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 06, 2024 10:26AM
ih can get to 680 just fine leave pro stock alone.

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 06, 2024 10:50AM
Not trying to argue, just interested.
If they can, why do a lot seem to go with Deere motors?
I think I’ve heard of some 672 ci setups.

Is it just parts availability, cost, how close a guy is to a certain shop (thinking about the WI Pros)??

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 06, 2024 01:18PM
IH’s have been at 672 for years. Outside of the Badger State cross dressers there really isn’t that many. There’s a lot more supers running IH based engines than pros running big blocks

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 07, 2024 01:53PM
MG1206
IH’s have been at 672 for years. Outside of the Badger State cross dressers there really isn’t that many. There’s a lot more supers running IH based engines than pros running big blocks

Yes IHs have been able to get to 672 for years, however they are not reliable when stretched out than thin. They have to find 206 cubic inches just to get 672. Where the 619 deere only needs 61 cubic inches to get to 680. You tell me which one will hold up better. It's not rocket science. As said before, 680 should never have been from the start. 540 would have been plenty for pro stocks and on down from there. There was not any 2wd tractor produced over 531 except for the 585 molines, however they won't hold up at their factory cubes anyway. Even the Deeres are spending tons of money every year just to keep them running and competing. Why do you think someone finally got just a tiny bit of sense to start the 5.0 class. Look how it's growing! There is a reason behind that. The heavy hitters are getting sick of throwing good money after bad just to keep the big ones running. I forsee the big pros class to slowly dwindle away and migrate down to the 5.0 class, and when they really get sick of it, the cube limit will follow the turbo limit to help with the spending even more. I love pulling as much or more than anyone else, however common sense has to come into play at some point??? Or Not?? Lol

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 07, 2024 02:04PM
There's several tractors that had more than 531 cubes from the factor in a 2wd configuration. Just off the top of my head, the White 2-180 and Oliver 2255 were up to 636 cu inches and the 540 Perkins in a lot of Masseys.

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 07, 2024 02:17PM
mgdoug3
There's several tractors that had more than 531 cubes from the factor in a 2wd configuration. Just off the top of my head, the White 2-180 and Oliver 2255 were up to 636 cu inches and the 540 Perkins in a lot of Masseys.

I'll give you that, however the 540 limit would catch the Massey, and how many 3208s have you see in the 680 pro stock classes? Again, there is a good reason for that, the disposable, throw away 3208s won't take it! So why do the pro stocks need to be 680 Inches? Not wanting to argue about it, but I would like to hear a reasonable answer as to why they shouldn't be 540? Why do they need to be 680?

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 08, 2024 11:31AM
just saying why not go to 5.0 then with your ihs. I didnt hear you ih guys complain about 680 till someone figured out how to make the green motor win now all we hear from ih guys is lower cubes, my feeling is let it where its at its been there since the start. The 5.0 class may be just the ticket for you ih guys and then you can decube it down if you want.

Easy there 4510 February 08, 2024 03:43PM
just saying why not go to 5.0 then with your ihs. I didnt hear you ih guys complain about 680 till someone figured out how to make the green motor win now all we hear from ih guys is lower cubes, my feeling is let it where its at its been there since the start. The 5.0 class may be just the ticket for you ih guys and then you can decube it down if you want.

Who said anything about me being an IH guy? Just because I happen to know what's going on in terms of what tractors hold up better than others in a particular class, how does this make me an "IH guy". All I said was that the lack of foresight when the class was formed that the 680 rule was a bad choice! That's all. By the way I'm kind of fond of the ol Massey's just for the record. That's a different color of red. But I can understand how a John Deere guy might get confused or be quick to make assumptions about others preferred brands of tractors. Seems like the deere guys get all up tight whenever someone mentions reducing the cubes of the pro stocks. Hmmm, I wonder why???

Re: Easy there 4510 February 08, 2024 11:12PM
just sayin
what your saying about foresight can be said about all of tractor pulling. Nobody saw the advancements in motorsports so to say there should have been more limits at the start is a difficult. If you remember the first point winner was a massey . The cube limit was set to let all colors in back in 1979 so yes i get upset about the cubes, Ive watched pro stock from the start and to see it grow the way it has is amazing and has become the best class to watch the sound and rpms is great and yes i am a green guy there was alot of lean years but when it comes to big money pulls rodney comes out on top with a red tractor, so i think its fair the problem is for you there is very few masseys to help with r and d for them.

Re: Easy there 4510 February 09, 2024 12:51AM
4510 I agree with your last post. Yes it is incredibly impressive to see and watch the heavy hitting pro stocks!! Regardless of paint color! They are no doubt right up there with the supers! Yes hind sight is 20/20. The pros and supers will likely always be for the folks with very very deep pockets! Lol Nonetheless, I'm glad to see them all in action! No other classes anywhere compare to what the big boys bring to the game! Best regards!

Re: Easy there 4510 February 09, 2024 11:29AM
There are forged steel blocks for CAT and Massey V8's now. V8's are stepping it up big!

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 08, 2024 01:58AM
There were 640ci turbo factory Masseys also. An example of which is often cited as their favorite.

CP

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 08, 2024 02:04AM
We can argue about cubic inches but that cats been let out of the bag. Once its open you can't reel them back in easy. One reason rule making is so important. You need to think it through before just doing it. Is it mostly based off Deere because that is the easiest to get there and no one has invested in the R and D to make a Ih or Massey work? Lemke made a IH platform why don't the IH guys use it? Stock they can get there but won't hold up, how many of them are stock blocks anymore, a aftermarket block should have been designed by now to strengthen them up I would think? Rumor is there is a aftermarket blue block starting to be used by the PA guys made in WI.

We can also pick on Badger states pro stocks if you want but they also have one of the best pro stock classes outside the grand national groups that promoters and fans (no fans no pull) flock to, and they are competitive on the grand national level. If you have not seen them pull you should it's a great class.

Lastly we always complain on here the pro stock class is dyeing or going to die. I don't see it, even with the 5.0 pros. The farm show is still filling 4 sessions easily and the grand national pulls I was at last year there were quite a few. Local level maybe but with light pros and limited pros we don't really need the big pros at that level, big pros should be on the grand national level. JMO

Re: If cross dressing were outlawed tomorrow February 08, 2024 06:27AM
Snitker and Chaos are the 2 IH platforms that have proven to be competitive and able to win on a regular basis. There’s only 4 or 5 of them and they don’t run the whole circuits is the problem. Maize is the only one that actually runs the whole circuit, Perish did run the whole ppl campaign this year. That’s a first for them in a long time. Be interesting to see what Sheltons do with both tractors for a whole year. Id imagine Hartmans will run Rodney’s old tractor the whole year as well so that’ll be another one, things might look a little different this year

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520