I need turbo education January 23, 2010 02:28PM
I'm one of those low-buck farm stock pullers. Tractor is a Case 1175, 504, mild ported heads, Crane cam, St. Joseph's A pump at 425cc, 4x20 injectors. Might be pulling with a group that has a 2.75 inlet limit, have a stock 3LM-466 now. What would be a good choice for a turbo? I have a new unmodified HX55- can I spin it? I don't want a tractor that is difficult to get moving. Not much experience here, so help is appreciated.

Re: I need turbo education January 23, 2010 05:24PM
Depending on the back housing, I might think you might drive it to hard. Over 50 lb. drive pressure and kiss it good by!

Re: I need turbo education January 24, 2010 04:22AM
My boost gauge only reads to 60 pounds and bury it pretty regular, and have had no problems with a HX 55 for over 2 years.

By the way, it is an e-bay $350 unit. Nothing special and never had a kit put in it. Just as tight as the day we put it on.

Make sure you have a 19 or 22 housing and rock on.

Re: I need turbo education January 24, 2010 07:30AM
Toolz, what group did you find that is allowing the 2.75 turbo? I know at Delevan last fall that group we pulled with there only allows a 2.3 inlet. I am looking for more places to pull myself. Catch ya later-Jason.

Re: I need turbo education January 24, 2010 08:09AM
Hey, Jason- Glad you replied. I didn't know how to get ahold of you, but we had a meeting in Springfield yesterday about starting a Farm Stock class with the Midwest Pullers. Had about 12 guys there- 4 from my area and the rest from south of Springfield. My goal in putting these guys together was to agree on a set of rules, and possibly book some dates to get this deal going by spring. I went in with a set of rules compiled from the groups I've pulled with- normal Farm Stock stuff- to be altered and discussed as the group saw fit. Most of the southern bunch are running turbos larger than the normal 3LM, so we agreed on a 2.75 inlet. I was trying to keep mods to a minimun, so as not to scare away the near-stock farm tractors, but with a lot of the group already running bigger stuff, some compromise had to be made. So long as we keep the speed at reasonable levels, the turbo shouldn't matter much, anyway. We will be doing a test pull with this group at Ramsey on June 12th, 8 and 12 mph at 12,500 lbs, and see how we all get along. Drop me an email with your phone number, and I'll get you a copy of what we agreed on. It's mostly standard stuff, and I hope you can pull with us. Thanks-- Kevin

Re: I need turbo education January 24, 2010 01:23PM
cwchip we also pulled at delevan with the IFPA, Which tractor was yours? IFPA had 12 hooks for the farm stock around the quincy area for those intested.
In the farm stock class and I know 2.3 inlet is a little small but is still bigger than stock turbo, But you need to draw the line somewere, and I feel that a stock 3lm is a decent size farm stock turbo. Plus running a ih with a 13mm rotary pump from my experiance and from others people I have talked to, at under 3000 thats about the size you want. toolz are you running a stock appearing pump in your new class? I think a 2.75 will scare away your local pullers, or they will just get bown away.

Re: I need turbo education January 24, 2010 02:34PM
cwchip and I both pulled with you at Delavan (my wife's home town). He has a 966 or 1066 I think- we were the only two "outsiders" that hadn't pulled with you before. I have a 1075 Case. I really liked your group and your rules- real Farm Stock in my opinion. We also planned on coming to your last pull, but it got rained out. I would definately come your way this year, but most of your pulls are 3+ hours from me, and that's just tough to do.

We will be running stock appearing pumps, and I agree 100% that a 3LM is enough for Farm Stock. Problem is, most of the interested pullers already have bigger. To counteract that, we are trying to set a rule that won't allow any upshifting or throttle advancement after 150 feet, which will give no advantage to the big power tractors. If we can get that established, along with reasonable speed limits, I am hopeful that we can still pull in the local guys. I don't want to scare anybody away- Farm Stock is supposed to be a starter class.

Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope to be at a few of your pulls this year.

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 11:24AM
Toolz, We pulled at Delevan also. We started the year with a 3lm Special and had a hard time keeping it spooled up at that low of rpm's. We put the stock 3lm back on and it was like night and day.

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 11:47AM
What ci? How much fuel were you running? Do you run a speed limit, if so what?
Thanks

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 12:50PM
Wow- didn't expect to hear that. I can keep the 3LM, but on some sticky tracks (like Delavan last year) I can't quite pull 6th gear, which is around 12mph at 2800rpm. Still placed second, right up until I made my option pull in 5th gear- that didn't work out so well. Didn't think 250 was gonna do it, so I took the option. Hindsight is 20/20. I appreciate the info- that's what I need to learn a few things.

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 01:08PM
4010 puller we were running stock cubic inch (436), 250cc, no speed limit, and Toolz the Mean Green sled was at Delevan and it likes speed. The faster you go until the pan drops you will go farther, so snuffing the turbo with that sled is not a bad thing

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 01:15PM
What was that 3lm "special" you said was too big? What do you run for speed limits? Do you have any more fuel or is 250cc your max?

Re: I need turbo education January 25, 2010 01:27PM
This turbo has a 2.6 intake with a 241 housing, 2.75 exhaust. We did get 330 or 340 cc of fuel but never got to run it at that setting. No speed limit just run as fast as you think you can go.

Re: I need turbo education January 26, 2010 10:35PM
With that fuel at 3000 rpm, youre saying the 2.6x2.75 turbo was too big? The 2.3x2.75 is a better choice?

Thanks

Re: I need turbo education January 26, 2010 11:53PM
Really our farm stock group max rpm is 2850 and by the time we lost 200 rpm before the governor opens it didn't lug very long and snuffs out.

Re: I need turbo education ? for toolz January 25, 2010 02:30PM
What weight are you pulling?

Re: I need turbo education ? for toolz January 25, 2010 02:59PM
Case Driver- I think the Delavan pull was 11,500 and 13,500. The new group we hope to get going will try 12,500 at 8 and 12 mph at the first pull, and see how things go.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 26, 2010 12:27PM
Sorry I am slow to reply, I don't have internet access at home. We sit in a bad spot for the hi-speed wireless systems. Anyway, I pull a 966 with just a 3lm turbo added to it. I still use it in the field so I haven't had pump work done or bigger lines and injectors. Maybe in a year or two I will do something to it. Right now I would like to put some 20.8's on it, I think that will help me. At Delevan I couldn't get a hold off the track with my 18.4-38's. I do like the rules IFPA has for the Farmstock class. I wanted to come to more of the pulls, but I am at least 2 hrs away from most of them. With the crazy wet weather we had last summer I didn't want to waste a lot of trips for nothing. In fact, I only made to a few other pulls with my 966. Went Wyoming, Lewistown, and Deland which was the day before Delevan. I am hoping to make it to more of the pulls this year.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 26, 2010 01:19PM
cwchip where do you live? I live 30 miles west of Louisiana Mo. and most if not all of the IFPA pulls are 2 hrs or more for me also.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 26, 2010 02:09PM
I am 15 miles east of Lincoln IL. My wife and I had our first kid (a boy) this past year so that made it a little harder to get away. There were several pulls I was wanting to get to problem was I was using the tractor for other stuff like side dressing nitrogen, mowing, and cultivating. And yes I know I should find another tractor to do those jobs with, maybe in a year or two. I didn't know about the farmstock classes til I pulled against Chad and his 4320 at Wyoming last July. I bought one of those rpm sensors from him that day so I could fit the rules.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 26, 2010 03:01PM
And I live about 35 miles farther east, near Mahomet. (grew up near Lincoln). I liked pulling with IFPA more than any other group last year- sure hope I can make a few in 2010.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 26, 2010 04:24PM
cwchip I have a couple of sets of firestone bias 151 20.8 38, if your interested. There about 25 to 30% tread

Re: ih puller2-tires January 29, 2010 07:14AM
What are wanting for your tires? My neighbor has a set of radials he said I could use. Do you know of any cast centers and rims for 38's for sale that fit a 966 axle? I would like to be able to just switch the whole assembly at once instead of changing the rims back and forth. My e-mail-cwchip73@yahoo.com, thanks.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 27, 2010 12:41PM
toolz, I'm interested in this new class that you've mentioned in this thread. I live near Eureka, IL and am trying to scope out my options for farm stock type pulls in central IL. I used to pull in a MPH class with a club up in western Michigan, but now I've moved to IL and would like to start pulling again, though I'm not sure how soon.

Will this new class be affiliated with any particular club, or are you starting something independent? Have you determined a cubic inch limit for this class? How about tires? Any more info would be much appreciated.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 27, 2010 01:48PM
Ian- If we get this going, it will be part of the Midwest Pullers. We would like to have some events as far north as the Champaign area, and I'm sure there will be pulls moving south past Effingham. We are trying to make a simple set of rules that don't require a lot of inspections and such, so engine size is not an issue, but things have to appear factory. I don't want any cut tires, but many of the interested guys already have top cuts, so it looks like we may go that way. If you would like me to keep you posted, email me and I'll get you on the list- the more, the better.

The IFPA pulls are pretty much centered around Quincy, and they are a good bunch to pull with also. Just depends on how far you want to travel.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 27, 2010 02:59PM
Thanks for the information. I'll send you an email so you can add me to your list.

I think my setup would generally fit with what you are proposing. I am at 466 cubes, with 13mm rotary, 3LM, uncut tires. Pretty standard stuff. The one thing I've found is that most of the farm stock rules in this area don't allow 20.8 x 42 tires, which is what I have now, so I might have to do something different there.

I've attended a couple of IFPA events, and I agree that they seem like a good group. Lots of local participation and friendly competition. Definitely what I'm looking for. I did however notice that their farm stock rules say stock displacement for make and model, so I guess that rules me out of that class. Hence my interest in what you are exploring.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 27, 2010 04:48PM
Ian yeah I beleve your right that the tech judges wouldnt like your 466. But if your block is stamped for a 1066 that you have a 414, and you have slipped in a 466 crank and pistons there just going to take your blocks work for it untill somebody protests. So do you want to press your luck? IAMO has very similar rules were it is sock cubic inch for tractor or you can build up to a 466. Personally I like that rule better just that plain old has to be stock cubic inch. I dont care if you run a 466 but if you do so am I because I have one sitting in the shop waiting to go in. Just remember you would have a grace hook. A 1175 case with a 504 doesnt really have that much of a advantage, but the A pump does vs a rotary. As far as your 20.8 42's you would have to ask a tech judge but not after your grace hook, but its not up to me.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 27, 2010 11:41AM
cwchip last summer as far away from some of the pulls that we lived from, we were called at or just after we had left to go to the pull. I gave my number to several pullers to call me if the pull was cancelled. I know how concerned you are to go that far and have to turn around and go back home. It only happened to us once.

Re: I need turbo education ? for ih puller2 January 29, 2010 07:09AM
I did try calling a couple of times but didn't get in touch with anyone in time to make it to the pull. Also, on some of the dates I was at other pulls with my antiques.

ReGrinningo they let you pull ? for toolz January 27, 2010 12:54PM
Toolz I was wondering if they let you pull in the same weight classes with your 504 without any sort of penalty? "against the red and green"

The reason I ask is around my area if you don't have the factory engine in a Case the 466 red and green pullers throw a hissy fit.

Re: ReGrinningo they let you pull ? for toolz January 27, 2010 02:02PM
So far, at the places I've pulled, engine size hasn't been an issue, but several events have had rules that limited the Case rpm as low as 2200. Kinda hard to compete when the reds are running 2800, and I'm sure some of those others are bigger than advertised. My opinion is to set the same rpm limit for everybody and don't worry about size. The speed limit helps level things out, and the guys that want to spent 20,000 on an engine usually don't want to play in Farm Stock anyway. Of course, there's always somebody that can't cut it in a higher class that gets off on spanking the normal Farm Stock tractors. Never really understood the motivation, but to each his own.

Re: ReGrinningo they let you pull ? for toolz January 27, 2010 02:30PM
toolz We had a 1175 pull with us last year in the IFPA and as far as I know he ran stock cubic inch and 2850 rpm like everyone else, or at least he passed tech inspection.

Re: ReGrinningo they let you pull ? for toolz January 27, 2010 03:13PM
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I liked your group. I also liked that you had a class right above Farm Stock that was a relatively small step, so the hotter tractors seemed to move up rather than try to stay in Farm Stock. It keeps everybody happy.

Re: IFPA-Schedule January 29, 2010 07:18AM
When will the IFPA schedule be out?

Re: IFPA-Schedule January 29, 2010 11:20AM
its being worked on as we speak hopefully will have tentative sghedule out soon

Re: I need turbo education January 29, 2010 12:37PM
CWCHIP, have a set of cast centers. I sent you an email. If you did not get it you can email me at farmboy_89_08@hotmail.com

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard