Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 09, 2022 02:33PM
Trying to get a separate topic going....
1. Pit Passes will create a definite additional revenue stream for the promoter.
2. Waiver forms WILL hold up in a court of law IF they are preserved properly. Been There .... Done That!!

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 09, 2022 10:59PM
rickFPP
1. Pit Passes will create a definite additional revenue stream for the promoter.

Also another way of rooking pullers that want to bring their families along. Just ask the Missouri State Fair.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 09, 2022 11:21PM
A waiver form is normal, no issue there. I know what I'm getting into when walking around a pit area.

Creating a pit pass fee (secondary revenue stream as you call it) is insulting and outright greed. This is exactly the sort of thing that pisses fans off.

Charge appropriate admission, ensure the appropriate insurance is procured, and let people enjoy the full experience while feeling they got value for their money. It's simple.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 09, 2022 11:50PM
Charging to get in pits is Pure Greed. Buck is getting out of hand at what they charge to get in.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 11, 2022 02:44AM
Lucas
Charging to get in pits is Pure Greed. Buck is getting out of hand at what they charge to get in.

They've made alot of participants very unhappy this year with some of there stupid stumts they've pulled this seaso in 2022 and pissed some off in 2021.

Nostalgia Night 2021 had a group of roughly 25 Dot tired 1ton Driveline trucks planning to go and a week before the pull changed the rules for class to a sanctioning bodies rules and they only ended up with five trucks that year.

Nostalgia Night 2022 they dropped the 4x4 class 4 days before the event and made the pullers mad.

Then Dropped Truck Warz in October to move a Monster Truck Show to that weekend and that was a big league of pull classes that got dropped.

Plus you can't build a mud pit out of a pulling track then expect it to be a good pulling track again in a week.

Always had the buck on my bucket list but if that's the way the want to treat participants and potential participants they don't need our support.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 12:11AM
Its simple economics. Either keep getting everyone into the pulls for free. Bring your own coolers full of beer and food. Effectively spend zero dollars at the event and continue to get paid peanuts for your efforts. Or let the events be ran like most business collect as much revenue as possible therefore be able to afford a better pay out. You pullers can not have your cake and eat it too. Decide what it is thats more important to you.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 12:27AM
IH6788
Its simple economics. Either keep getting everyone into the pulls for free. Bring your own coolers full of beer and food. Effectively spend zero dollars at the event and continue to get paid peanuts for your efforts. Or let the events be ran like most business collect as much revenue as possible therefore be able to afford a better pay out. You pullers can not have your cake and eat it too. Decide what it is thats more important to you.

From what I have experienced, pulls that charge for pit passes don't have any higher payouts than the ones that don't. The sanctioning body still pays out what it pays out.

From this side it seems like it's an easy way for the promoter to claw back more of the money they have to pay to the sanctioning body. Pit passes often are disproportionately issued to family of a puller, and it always seemed sleazy to me to charge the immediate family of the folks bringing the show.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 12:54AM
Mr. See Ya.... give me some names of who refuses to hook to our sleds anymore. I'll wait while you find your spine you seem to have misplaced.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 04:38AM
This is pretty simple, ALL pits should be open to the fans. We always talk about making the sport better in one sentence and then charge the fan money to see the vehicles and drivers up close. The biggest pull in the world has wide open pits. They understand that the fan buys the tickets and supports the sponsors. Not sure why this even a discussion.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 11, 2022 07:41AM
Dick, Our event pit isn't attached to the fairgrounds proper. You pass through event area to reach the fairgrounds. Hence pit pass and waiver for all events. Brush trucks became I'm pulling. But never signed up. Then there is the I'm with so and so rig who is already here. I understand cranky gate people at the end of the week.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 12:17AM
Yeah that would be a good idea for FPP… They already lost 7-9 tractors out of LP/ SF class and and at least that amount out of each truck class. CS promotions take note. Just do the opposite of FPP and you will do great. The new owner has really upset a lot ( most) of the pullers. There is even fair amount that won’t even pull there sleds anywhere anymore.. CS is going to blow up this year. Bunch of great guys.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 01:16AM
Well I guess that since this has come up here and the bashing of my organization has started, i should at least set the record straight in regards to pit passes. We never charge pullers to get into events at the pit gate. All of our contracts guarantee that at least 2 people get in free if not more. If pullers are getting charged then they need to bring it to our attention so that it can be handled properly. Coming on here and complaining 3 months after the event doesn't help fix the issue. It needs to be taken care of at the event. I have many times been told about it and went directly to the fair gate and let them know about it.

My guess is that See Ya didn't get their way with me and are now upset.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 08:39AM
I attend fpp events as a crew person,only had to pay once,at fayette,along with a few others,richard cleared the issue up quickly,thanks richard

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 01:10AM
Pit Passes - A couple of growing issues with pit passes. As the sport grows in popularity, so does the increase in demand for pit passes. Which presents issues as some venues, maybe not but defiantly some. Yes, you are correct that for years Pit Passes are for those die hard pulling families and fans that want to be where all the action is. It’s the cool place to be, its where you get to see the vehicles up close, you get to meet the drivers, see how everything works and goes. That’s the good. The bad, is it’s also where a lot of drinking occurs, its where all the fun happens during and after the pull is done. It’s where you want to be when you want to have a good time for many. However, these days as the sport is growing so to are the number of people that wanting to be in the pit area is growing as well. The more people you have the more liability a promoter has, which leads to more risk of injury and incident and when an insurance company sees tight areas, lots of people, alcohol all thrown into the mix, there is going to be a need to regulate it a bit. The more liability there is perceived the more the insurance is going to cost. The more the lawyers are going to want to regulate it. So, how as a promoter do you regulate it? One way, better waivers, more rules on who can enter and not, increase your pit pass fees to help drive more people into the stands. That will help, but it will also disconnect your event from what has helped make the sport unique and that is the interaction and up close contact that a fan can have with the drivers, the track and their overall experience is just so much better. When you take away or make the experience difficult on either the fan or the puller guess what you lose at some point? You will lose your fans and eventually, the puller. Charging everyone to get into the pits is nothing new for sports like auto racing. It’s new to the pulling world and probably something that eventually may have to happen to help regulate things, and give these events more revenue. However, there are ways to help the pullers out. Organizations can work through this so that the events can continue to get revenue from the pits and pullers can get into the pits and have the people they need to get into the pits. The cost of an event has to get covered somewhere, its not all going to come from the gate, sponsors, or concessions. The pits are a place that a lot of lost revenues happen at every event. I get what everyone says about pullers being the show, but realize that a lot of these same pullers are also abusing the rules and getting a lot more people in the pits then what they are supposed to be getting. And some of those people aren’t signing the waivers either which really puts our sport at risk. I have been a part of this sport long enough and always seems the person that gets hurt is the person that didn’t sign the waiver somehow. Crazy how that happens. Keep in mind the event only happens next year if they break even or make money. Very few events will happen year after year operating at a loss. While pulling for many pullers is considered a hobby and they know that they are going to operate at a loss to be in the sport. I am not sure of many events that are run because its a hobby to them. You typically don’t see events that are hobby’s for promoters. For some they are probably right offs for a business, but not a hobby. Something to think about.

Let’s say a puller who has a tractor goes to 17 events through out a year. If that puller gets 4 pit passes per event that they attend. Cost of a pit pass is $25.00 each That’s $100.00 per event. Cost for them to go to all 17 events is $1,700.00 plus fuel to get there, entry fees for the event etc. The average event cost over $30,000 for just the organizations fees. That doesn’t include everything else that goes into an event. So, likely true cost getting north of $40,000 per event these days. If that puller goes to 17 events that cost $40,000 or more to host your asking them to pay and additional $1,700.00 for those pit passes throughout their pulling season. Keep in mind they are going to 17 events that will in total probably in 2023 be more then $600,000 to operate. What could charging pullers and everyone else a pit pass rate that is fair and reasonable could mean for potential revenue. Your average event will have around 50 pulling vehicles at those events. Just in additional pit pass fees that’s an additional $5,000.00 that is going towards that events gate. We all know, there are a lot more then 4 people getting into an event a lot of times on the pit pass at many events so those numbers are likely to be higher. The puller that runs to 17 events will add a cost of an additional $1,700.00 for going to those 17 events. There is no part that they will put on a pulling tractor this year that will be that cheap. So, your willing to risk an event going bye bye because of a Pit Pass cost? That math doesn’t add up. Again, I have thoughts on how this can be handled to help the puller and the promoter, but for this I am just trying to put some prospective of what you are really adding to the cost of a puller to have an event to go too each and every week. I know this wont be well received, but things change and how it was yesterday isn’t how things will necessarily be going forward. It’s unfortunate, but its part of growth. Growth brings new challenges and the need to adapt.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 01:56AM
300ft Puller
Let’s say a puller who has a tractor goes to 17 events through out a year. If that puller gets 4 pit passes per event that they attend. Cost of a pit pass is $25.00 each That’s $100.00 per event. Cost for them to go to all 17 events is $1,700.00 plus fuel to get there, entry fees for the event etc. The average event cost over $30,000 for just the organizations fees. That doesn’t include everything else that goes into an event. So, likely true cost getting north of $40,000 per event these days. If that puller goes to 17 events that cost $40,000 or more to host your asking them to pay and additional $1,700.00 for those pit passes throughout their pulling season. Keep in mind they are going to 17 events that will in total probably in 2023 be more then $600,000 to operate. What could charging pullers and everyone else a pit pass rate that is fair and reasonable could mean for potential revenue. Your average event will have around 50 pulling vehicles at those events. Just in additional pit pass fees that’s an additional $5,000.00 that is going towards that events gate. We all know, there are a lot more then 4 people getting into an event a lot of times on the pit pass at many events so those numbers are likely to be higher. The puller that runs to 17 events will add a cost of an additional $1,700.00 for going to those 17 events. There is no part that they will put on a pulling tractor this year that will be that cheap. So, your willing to risk an event going bye bye because of a Pit Pass cost? That math doesn’t add up. Again, I have thoughts on how this can be handled to help the puller and the promoter, but for this I am just trying to put some prospective of what you are really adding to the cost of a puller to have an event to go too each and every week. I know this wont be well received, but things change and how it was yesterday isn’t how things will necessarily be going forward. It’s unfortunate, but its part of growth. Growth brings new challenges and the need to adapt.

There is so much backward logic in this line of thinking that it's hard to get my head around. If your event requires gouging each puller for an extra $100 per event to keep afloat, then you probably don't need to be having an event.

In my mind, whittling down the numbers of pulls actually would be the best thing for the overall sport. The fan market is completely saturated as it is. The stands are getting less and less crowded at a lot of pulls, because the novelty wears off even for diehards after a while. It would force some of the smaller orgs to consolidate, and also the prize money to consolidate (resulting in bigger pots). Supply and demand.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 02:14AM
The only one getting a gouging here, is the local taxpayer.

We own and maintain the fairgrounds, yet our children and grandchildren pay to attend the fair.

2 passes per tractor is plenty, they only have one seat, the last I looked.

We are talking about 3 hours of a 5-day fair, the most expensive 3 hours of the fair, by the way.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 02:27AM
$
The only one getting a gouging here, is the local taxpayer.

We own and maintain the fairgrounds, yet our children and grandchildren pay to attend the fair.

2 passes per tractor is plenty, they only have one seat, the last I looked.

We are talking about 3 hours of a 5-day fair, the most expensive 3 hours of the fair, by the way.

If it doesn't pencil out to have it, then don't. Simple economics.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 13, 2022 01:41AM
In my opinion, the pits are one of the most unutilized things with the sport. I agree that we don't need fans at the starting line at events. I also understand the not every event is setup for this. But I also feel there are so many events that miss out on this opportunity. I would love to see events have a pit party's before an their show. Have a time slot that everyone is invited to come look at the trucks and tractors. They could meet drivers and let fans see these machines up close.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 02:00AM
I do not agree with your liability argument one bit. Go to any dragstrip all the way up to an NHRA National and NO ONE pays for a pit pass. Only place you cannot go is on the track or in the staging lanes. Stuff is moving everywhere. In the sportsman pits racecars move under their own power. Happens everywhere all the time. It's a financial clawback to charge for it and a transparent one at that.

On the flipside, I get the financial bit. Pulling is cheap entertainment and people scream if it costs more than $20 to see. What's the last national caliber auto race you attended for $20? Last touring music act? Pulling doesn't take itself seriously enough. Nickel dime attitudes will keep it there no matter what the enthusiasts behind the machines spend to put them on the track.

CP

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 03:01AM
I agree with most of what Charles says here. Being in the pits is no part the same as being on the track.

My beef is not with requiring pit passes for family as a puller - driver and a crewman into an event "free" for anything that is not a multi-engine mod is fine by me.

My additional family members pay to be a spectator, and that's how it should be. But to exclude them or the average fan form being able to walk the pits (without charging an additional fee), that's just ridiculous.

If anyone has ever been to BG, they seem to manage the entire population (including those drinkers that are apparently an issue) on the grounds walking everywhere except the hot pit area (line up and track/end track scale). They don't seem to have a problem, so why can't the little events deal with it?

As it has been discussed, if there is a need to generate more revenue, then raise the admission. Otherwise you clearly have an affordability issue, which is unfortunate in and of itself, but a reality in life for everybody.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 03:22AM
I think it's really dependent on the motorsport on how people feel about pit passes. You got to any dirt track race and those fans will pay $35 or more to get into the pits and don't even bat an eye at it. Go to any of the bigger races with World of Outlaws, Lucas Oil Late Models, etc. and you will find the pits full of fans. I think for pulling it's always been a standard that the pits are free to get into and no one wants that to change. When people bring it up they argue it's greed, whether that's true or not.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 06:51AM
I'll chime in on this a bit with some thoughts.

Our club, ECIPA, provides 2 pit passes with each vehicle membership, with the option to buy a 3rd, no more than 3 pit passes maximum per vehicle.

I feel that is fair, some guys come by themselves while others have a whole posse. It's not fair to a promoter/fair to let the puller who comes with 15 other people in free.

Now charging for pit passes. I think this really boils more down to the layout of the grounds. Some venues an open pit is easy and makes sense, others it does not. We go to some places the pits are very cramped and might as well be considered a "hot pit", or there is fencing or some type of barricade that prevents easy flow from the stands to the pits.

We charge for pit passes at the fair that I promote. The reason why we charge extra for a pit pass, is because every Tom, Dick and Harry would show up with their cooler full of beer in their trucks, back up to the track, start fights and tear up the pits. As a promoter, you rely on your admission and food/beer sales to pay for your show. Sure there are some sponsors, but when everybody is sneaking their own beer/food, it takes away a major income stream for the promoter.

---

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 05:32AM
From a puller’s standpoint, is has always ticked me off to no end to have to pay to get into an event facility. I am there to pull, be part of the show and I have to pay hook fees to the association in addition to that gate admission.

As a fan, an open and accessible pit is vital to my fan experience. I want to wander around and look at the work and craftmanship of the vehicles; see the different combinations and chat will the pullers. The actual vehicle going down the track is only a small part of the experience in my opinion.

However… speaking for fairs and as a fair board member, money from every possible source is vital for survival. You must maintain acres of property, all the buildings, infrastructure, the campgrounds; pay help, association fees, taxes, other entertainment, garbage removal, utilities etc. etc. and of course the biggie, insurance. Like everything else, all those things cost more and in many cases the price of gate admission has not gone up in proportion. The traditional revenue streams (vendors; games; rides; grandstand admission; gate admission; sponsorships) are not enough to keep things in the black and continue maintain the fair much less improve and grow it. This why you are seeing fair boards try all kinds of things like beer gardens; advertising signs on every flat surface; other event rentals and yes, even pit passes. Some fairs have rides included in their gate admission. Do you think it’s right to pack your hauler bunk full of kids and let them ride for free just because you are part of the show?

There has to be a middle ground somewhere and I think having it clearly in the sanctioning contract as to who and how many get in for free is a way to cover both the host and the puller. I agree that open pits are a must for a good show but asking a little extra money for that privilege is not all that hateful. On the host’s side, they should provide bleachers on that side to give a little extra value for those who ponied up to be in the pits. Remember most of these fairs are run by volunteers that are just trying to keep the ship afloat so don't hate on them too much for trying to keep them in the black anyway they can. And finally, the pullers could help a lot if they picked up their own beer cans trash after the pull.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 05:44AM
Amen

Also keep in mind during a fair (unlike a stand-alone pull), that same 4 acres can be set up and torn down, 2 or 3 times a day.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 05:57AM
Everyone there is a cost to an event - nobody is disputing that.

Everyone knows that fairgrounds cost money to maintain - nobody is disputing that.

Everyone knows there is a lot of work to put on an event (both before and after) - nobody is disputing that.

Price the damned event so it comes out in the black. It's that easy. Don't nickel and dime people to death.....there is nothing more irritating.

I have been part of a group that has put on a stand alone pull for 20 years now in a very small community. We know what has to be done. We have an amazing group of volunteers that get it done. We have (thankfully) amazing sponsors. We charge an appropriate admission price and have the same size crowd every year. And wouldn't you know it, we let them walk the pits unencumbered! They love it! We here stories how kids meet the pullers and had a great experience. And isn't that part of the mission? To make fans want to come back, and get the next generation excited about the sport?

Oh, we also make generous community donations every year, while also ensuring the fairgrounds gets their fair share.

This is all accomplished without the need for a pit pass fee.

It is a balance based on economy of scale. We spend what is needed to make a great event, and we give back in a way the general public can see. This is no BG event, but we operate within our means and make things work. It takes dedicated people who care about the event.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 06:10AM
The majority of fair attendees (over 5 days), want nothing to do with the tractor pull.

How do I know this, the demo derby outsells a state level pull 4 to 1.

(With less than 5% of the input costs, compared to the pull)

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 07:00AM

Price the damned event so it comes out in the black. It's that easy. Don't nickel and dime people to death.....there is nothing more irritating.

It isn't that easy, especially for a fair. You have to balance to price of gate admission with what the attendee gets for their entertainment dollar. In other words, on tractor pull night, maybe 1 in 50 people are actually there to see the pull. Everyone else is there to see the cows, get an elephant ear and maybe ride the rides. If you raise basic gate admission to offset the cost of the pull, you probably will scare a lot of your casual fair goer from even entering the fair and that is bad for business. It is better to let the attendee order off the menu of what they want to see and keep the general gate admission as low as possible. One fair near me has a large grandstand where they have sections that are free; sections that are reserved that cost extra and charge for a pit pass. With their low gate admission, even if you buy a pit pass you will still probably be less than what it costs to get into your event.

All this said, your standalone event is playing by different rules and expectations than a fair and it isn't that simple to just price every thing so it is in the black. Your product that you are selling is way different than what the county fair is offering.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 11:02PM
I will agree that when combined with a fair it is not possible to price accordingly. No argument there.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 06:07AM
I always help police the area, however many times there are no trash cans in sight, when containers are plentiful,many people comply with putting in, picking up.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 12, 2022 01:54PM
I think some people are having issues differentiating the track, staging, and weighing areas from the area used for hauler parking in regards to being call "pits". I firmly believe that the track, staging, and at times the weighing area to have no fans accessible. I understand that some would enjoy seeing that part of the pull production, but it is a busy place that does not need bystanders that can possibly get in harms way.

I have a love/hate relationship with open pits. I feel the fans do want to see the equipment and the pullers themselves up close. I have had many great interactions with all ages when discussing the machines I am associated with. Other times the location for the pits can be troublesome for the amount of foot traffic that is going by somebody's hauler and supplies with limited supervision. However, I feel the pits should be open for the fans to come see the machines, haulers, and meet the pullers.

I believe that in sanctioned pulling there should be no gate fee charged to the pullers. Many of us are traveling hours away from home with our families. I would not be going to the event if I was not pulling (apart of the show). Since I am an adult with my own job and family and I live a good distance from the pulling shop, often times I travel to a pull separate from the hauler due to time, schedule, and logistics. At times I get heckled at the gate.

I do understand that bringing buddies along that are fans and having them masquerade as crew is wrong. Anybody that enters an event under the premise of being with a puller should be either family or crew. I believe the exact number of passes varies by situation and should be a number agreed upon withing the association.

If an event needs to charge pullers to attend the very event they are participating in at the gate (separate from hook fees), then a pull may not be the right entertainment to fit the events business model. I want as much pulling as possible. I also understand that an event needs to make a profit, or at worst break even. I don't believe that an event should charge the puller to help with the bottom line. They have already invested in the machine and traveled to be a part of the show.

Pulling on the brush level is more difficult to manage. That is why I prefer to only participate in sanctioned events.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 01:34PM
rickFPP
Trying to get a separate topic going....
2. Waiver forms WILL hold up in a court of law IF they are preserved properly. Been There .... Done That!!

I'd like to see the wording of that waiver and find out who the insurance company is that thinks "it will hold up in court", no matter what.
I'm looking for just such a company to insure what I am looking at doing.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 10, 2022 11:25PM
Example only, I just picked one quick.

[www.neufeldlawfirm.com]

Google, is your friend

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 11, 2022 03:15PM
$
Example only, I just picked one quick.

[www.neufeldlawfirm.com]

Google, is your friend

Sorry, but I had to laugh a bit at that.
No way I'd bet the farm on info that link provides.
All it takes is someone who wants to try to sue, and a crooked lawyer who doesn't care about what's right or wrong, like the hundreds advertising on TV.
Yes , waivers help "reduce" the risk, but there's no guarantee, and that's my point.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 12, 2022 11:52PM
The main take away from this link (as I see it), not all states are under the same laws (rules).

$

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 13, 2022 05:22AM
Oh yes, I understand "some" waivers wouldn't hold up in court because of laws in some states

From my point of view, even in states where said waiver is considered legal to have, I'd still have some kind of coverage in place, regardless of how strong a waiver one thinks they have in place..

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 05:38AM
In America it seems like two things are very prevalent:

1. I get to choose what I want to do, and what I pay for.
2. I like "free" things, even though they aren't free. Like "free" shipping

So, how about the concept of I get to choose what I pay for and if I pay for it, I get something "free." For example. I pay $15 to get in the gate and if I want a pit pass I pay an extra $5 but I get a "free" beverage, or kids under 12 are free.

As for free admission for pullers and crew, I think 1 pass for the driver and 2 crew per registered vehicle is fine. Less than that can be tough to manage the competition and more than that is overkill.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 03:31PM
Looks like we have a lot of armchair promoters here. I promote a fair pull and it is one of our biggest nights. Our waivers are supplied by the insurance company. I think the would know if they hold up. We charge a small gate fee ($10) and free grandstand. A $10 extra to get in the pits. I think it is affordable. We sell more pit passes every year. The pullers have passes through the sanctioning body of the pulling group we hire and we let in anyone with a pulling vehicle no charge if not with the group. We charge $30 on race night for pit passes. Some of you armchair promoters need to pencil out what an event cost and try it. Sell the sponsorships, insurance, food stand, beer garden, support vehicles, pay the light and water bill, water and pack the track, line up track help, pit shack personnel fire and ambulance and so on. It a lot of work for a 3-4 hour show. We do it because we love it but it is a lot of work and not just the day of the show. Weeks of planning goes in and then you pray for no rain. You really need to put your money down and try it. I'd like to see your books at the end. Its easy to promote on a forum with out your $ invested.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 13, 2022 12:12AM
The pit pass thing has been something that has been discussed amongst the puller I know several times. I run a 2wd and hook with several different organizations . National and regional are pretty straight forward. 3 or 4 pit passes per registered vehicle . It is in the contract. I helped with a state level pull for several years. Again it was in the contract.4 per vehicle. I do run into some events that we go to that want to charge more to get into the pits than it is to get into the stands. That is something I have a problem with. As was stated before I am part of what is putting on the show and you want to charge me more than what it cost to just sit in the stands..I understand both sides of this so it is not like i expect everyone I know to get in for free.. Keep it reasonable and I don't think anyone would complain . The other option is pullers will do what I am. I just don't go back to those events. As for pulls that don't have open pits. Not interested at all. The fan experience is something that is special to the sport. My 2 cents

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 13, 2022 03:55PM
I am pretty sure the IOWA STATE FAIR charges an incredible price to sit pit side! But I have not been there for a few yrs. Is that still the case?

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 13, 2022 07:23PM
chris h
I am pretty sure the IOWA STATE FAIR charges an incredible price to sit pit side! But I have not been there for a few yrs. Is that still the case?

Yes! Still big money.
In the scheme of things, it isn't terrible. But I usually go myself. If a person is paying for a family of 4, it'll take a pretty big bite.
Besides paying to park, and paying regular fair admission.

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 12:05AM
As a puller, here is my take. People in the pits is ok...They come around and look things over.

Nowhow i really feel. Truck and cars are a no in the pits....It is so frustrating to have pickups lining the track and if something was to go wrong....those people are dead...but with a waiver (that does no good when you are dead)

Drive 4 hours to a pull, get there, pull....your toter is blocked in by a car that the guy had went home with someone else....next morning car still there....grr

Go to a pull...exit is so packed in with cars that you can't get out....you spend 2 hours finding owners....and ...you cant just hook to them and pull them out. One pull they brought a wrecker in to pull a couple cars out. Allen A, Chad w and Kurt K will attest to this....and we turned the trucks around and went out another way..(Try turning a long toter around)

Theft. We got a lot in our hauler....asked a guy once what he was doing in our hauler....looking for beer...(he was going to steal beer)...

Or the kids that you catch coming out of the trailer caring your tools

Or the guy that parks on your ramp because there was no parking

AND the best....the pits were so full of cars that to get the 4wd to the scale, a 4455 with a full rack of was pulling the back around to line it up..and DRIVING into the trailer....put a 12" bow in the door

My FAVORITE was going to a pull and they wanted to charge me and my family to be in the pit (we bring 2 tractors)....I told them no problem, he had a smiled and I left

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 12:09AM
Oh and one other thing....when a puller brings a family or friends, these are people that would not drive 400 miles to watch a tractor pull...they come to support you if not only to sit and watch you.....Big hats off the the pull in Windsor for taking care of the pullers

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 02:21AM
tugger
As a puller, here is my take. People in the pits is ok...They come around and look things over.

Nowhow i really feel. Truck and cars are a no in the pits....It is so frustrating to have pickups lining the track and if something was to go wrong....those people are dead...but with a waiver (that does no good when you are dead)

Drive 4 hours to a pull, get there, pull....your toter is blocked in by a car that the guy had went home with someone else....next morning car still there....grr

Go to a pull...exit is so packed in with cars that you can't get out....you spend 2 hours finding owners....and ...you cant just hook to them and pull them out. One pull they brought a wrecker in to pull a couple cars out. Allen A, Chad w and Kurt K will attest to this....and we turned the trucks around and went out another way..(Try turning a long toter around)

Theft. We got a lot in our hauler....asked a guy once what he was doing in our hauler....looking for beer...(he was going to steal beer)...

Or the kids that you catch coming out of the trailer caring your tools
Happened to me at 2 ECI events this year, I’m not a member so had to pay pit parking, kinda sucked bring a tractor and get charged like a spectator

Or the guy that parks on your ramp because there was no parking

AND the best....the pits were so full of cars that to get the 4wd to the scale, a 4455 with a full rack of was pulling the back around to line it up..and DRIVING into the trailer....put a 12" bow in the door

My FAVORITE was going to a pull and they wanted to charge me and my family to be in the pit (we bring 2 tractors)....I told them no problem, he had a smiled and I left

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms November 14, 2022 01:24AM
Just a little light from my small corner of WI as i feel we have evolved to a good system.

We run pulling weekend event in Cuba City WI. Originally a brush show on Friday evening with local classes and Tri-state pullers on Saturday. General admission was $8 and pit passes were $10 per event (children free). Brush show always had the $20 entry fee and received 2 free pit passes. Tristate pullers had their association passes and rest of attendance followed the admission/pit pass purchase order.

Fast forward a few years-
Admission was updated to $10(children free) & go wherever you like; stands side or pit side. Pullers still had a $20 entry fee and were provided 2 passes per entry. ECI pullers were brough into combination with the local brush classes as a shared event. ECI membership passes were honored for entry and no fees charged as they were a hired organization. Hence the problem of ECI association passes come into play. Upon arrival Members showed their passes and gain free entry at admission gates. Many members who were not participating or were participating but not in a ECI sanctioned class. Keep in mind that 100% of the admission money is used to cover event costs and to give back to the local vendors (Lions club, FFA, Knights of Columbus, 4H, etc) 100% entry money goes back into the class purse money per entry. Association members attending and not pulling but deeming free entry hurt our show.

The solution-
EVERYONE PAYS $10 admission upon entry to the event (children free); pullers (local and association), spectators, family, etc.! There is no longer an entry fee charged at the sign in table. This has sped up registration as there is no longer the need of $ to be exchanged during registration. ALL ENTRIES for the sanctioned ECI membership classes are handed a prepacked envelope with $20 inside. This $20 covers the gate admission ECI Members paid upon arrival as ECI members are provided 2 passes per registered machine via ECI pulling association. The entry fee purse money is recouped and added to the class payouts by simply multiplying the number of entries by $20 and subtracting this from the admission gate. Example: 114 entrees x $20 = $2,280 subtracted from admission gate and added to respected class purses.

Summary -
Membership passes are not abused. Entry fee purse money is retained and paid back to the pullers. Everyone is permitted to any portion of the viewing area and experience they so choose. Money is collected at single locations (less staff and congestion). FOOD AND BEVERAGE Vending on both sides of pulling track

Re: Pit Passes and Waiver Forms January 08, 2023 02:03AM
There are places in NE ohio charge pit passes at county fairs.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520