Lemke small block February 23, 2023 05:24AM
Why are the Lemkes using a small block jd and not the big block jd

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 05:34AM
In my opinion, he has always run a small block. He knows the engine inside and out. His engine program is very impressive and litterally a work of art. It already competes and wins. It is just a numbers thing. Not that many running his top engine program.

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 05:54AM
The Lemke's and the small block make me ask a couple questions.

They've certainly been successful but never dominant like others in the class. My question is are the Lemke small blocks the key to being competitive without as much wear and tear on parts as guys running BBJD?

They are always in the mix so something they are doing works. You'd have to think they are making less power than the BBJDs so they must make up for it some place else.

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 06:18AM
I have heard that they are very close in horsepower because with the billet block and Lemke's knowledge of the engine, they are able to turn more rpm's down the track. In theory when you combine the higher rpm and a longer stroke(more torque) it should be a pretty strong competitor for the BBJD. I also want to say that I have no experience with pro stock engines but would like to know if my theory is close about the higher rpm and longer stroke.

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 08:33AM
Their engine program with the steel forged block makes it much more reliable.

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 09:45AM
Brad Moss was very predicable with the SBJD, then went to BBJD, and disappeared, just wonder what happened. thanks

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 10:34AM
Lemkes "small block" is 17 cu. in. bigger that Deeres 2wd "big block" at OEM displacement.

Re: Lemke small block February 23, 2023 11:38AM
Meaning the 531 not the 4WD 619 correct?

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 12:12AM
I actually appreciate some of the answers here. This has been educational for me!

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 01:08AM
That would be 548 cu. against a 531 and a 636 against a 619. Has to be the 619+17. 540 is pretty easy to get out of a 466. A lot of Riverside 585's out there. Yes I know Lemke engines are their own design not stock block etc..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2023 03:46AM by jd43.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 01:42AM
Don’t know how to break this to you But they are 674 ci

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 03:23AM
Ok... just throwing this out there

Maybe if everyone wants to have the bore size for the pro stock class, that the lemke block is able to accept a bigger bore than a stock SBJD would be able to. If this was the case, maybe they are able to get a very similar bore and stroke out of the SBJD recast block as they are out of the BBJD block. (I know that I am assuming a lot)
If this is all true, then the weight of the engine may be a factor because of the smaller frame of the SBJD

I have a couple of questions for people who know more than I do-
Anyone know what Bore and Stroke they are using in the small block Deere to get to 674?
Anyone know if the Pro-Stocks every have to drop their drawbar so that they are able to keep the front end down?
(this is relevant because it would serve as a reason to go with the lighter SBJD so you wouldn't have to drop the drawbar as much or at all)

I enjoy thinking about some of the reasons a builder would pick one motor or another so if anyone knows more than me, this information would be much appreciated.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 01:54AM
Pulller
Their engine program with the steel forged block makes it much more reliable.

So its not a JD at all.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 02:38AM
Not JD
So its not a JD at all.
Boy, do I have a surprise for you..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2023 03:00AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Lemke small block February 25, 2023 03:19AM
NewGen4010
So its not a JD at all. Boy, do I have a surprise for you..

Well???? I am waiting... with baited breath! The heads are all recast also, also not JD.

Re: Lemke small block February 25, 2023 06:46AM
Not JD
Well???? I am waiting... with baited breath! The heads are all recast also, also not JD.
You think anything in Pro Stock/DSS is actually parts made by Case/JD?? It's not just a select few. And I can almost guarantee, they aren't running recast heads, they're billet heads.

Re: Lemke small block February 25, 2023 01:11PM
NewGen4010
Well???? I am waiting... with bated breath! The heads are all recast also, also not JD. You think anything in Pro Stock/DSS is actually parts made by Case/JD?? It's not just a select few. And I can almost guarantee, they aren't running recast heads, they're billet heads.
There hasn’t been anything Case in a Dss for 30 years….

Re: Lemke small block February 27, 2023 02:28AM
NewGen4010
Well???? I am waiting... with baited breath! The heads are all recast also, also not JD. You think anything in Pro Stock/DSS is actually parts made by Case/JD?? It's not just a select few. And I can almost guarantee, they aren't running recast heads, they're billet heads.

You can almost guarantee!!! Ya got me!!! You still have not surprised me how a recast or billet block or for that matter a head is JD.

Re: Lemke small block February 27, 2023 07:52AM
Read his answer again. He is saying there is nothing, or almost nothing, that was manufactured by John Deere in those engines.

Re: Lemke small block February 27, 2023 10:04AM
I think what he's asking are things in its required places for a Deere engine (cam location, bore spacing) and so on. Make's you wonder as you don't see them around being built by other shops. You see Hypers, Chaos, D&Rs.

Re: Lemke small block February 28, 2023 06:46AM
My point is, none of these tractors are running factory blocks. None of them are running factory rear ends. There's no sense trying to pick apart the Lemke block/engine program because this I what everyone is doing. There's nothing factory out there regardless of brand.

Re: Lemke small block February 28, 2023 07:20AM
So then there really isn't any rules that builders must abide by when building a Block? Call it what you want and take a IHC design and stretch it out as long as a BBD? Or should they be held to OEM Spec and locations? Sounds like this needs clarified and Verified.

Re: Lemke small block February 28, 2023 07:58AM
I do believe it is clarified and verified.

NTPA Tech Services

Re: Lemke small block March 01, 2023 04:30PM
WPI rules clarified but are they enforced? Has it been verified they are meet? Doubtfully so. Logic would say things like cam could be moved as a problem area in sbd for long stroke. If this is the case then why would any block rule hold merit. Just build what you feel like as oem spec's don't apply.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 01:20AM
Puller
I have heard that they are very close in horsepower because with the billet block and Lemke's knowledge of the engine, they are able to turn more rpm's down the track. In theory when you combine the higher rpm and a longer stroke(more torque) it should be a pretty strong competitor for the BBJD. I also want to say that I have no experience with pro stock engines but would like to know if my theory is close about the higher rpm and longer stroke.

Bore size is preferable

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 01:52AM
Lemke Engines placing NFMS: Wed 5th, Thur 5th & 3rd if Tomcat is a Lemke, Fri 7th, Sat Afternoon 4th & 7th. Finals 5th & 10th if Tool Times & Tomcat are Lemke Motors. Too many opinions as to who has a Lemke Motor.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 02:13AM
Tried to Check
Lemke Engines placing NFMS: Wed 5th, Thur 5th & 3rd if Tomcat is a Lemke, Fri 7th, Sat Afternoon 4th & 7th. Finals 5th & 10th if Tool Times & Tomcat are Lemke Motors. Too many opinions as to who has a Lemke Motor.

These results are good, but they arent worth bragging about

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 02:32AM
Lot more to track success than just a power plant

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 03:23AM

Maybe if everyone wants to have the bore size for the pro stock class, that the lemke block is able to accept a bigger bore than a stock SBJD would be able to. If this was the case, maybe they are able to get a very similar bore and stroke out of the SBJD recast block as they are out of the BBJD block. (I know that I am assuming a lot)
If this is all true, then the weight of the engine may be a factor because of the smaller frame of the SBJD

Anyone know what Bore and Stroke they are using in the small block Deere to get to 674?
Anyone know if the Pro-Stocks every have to drop their drawbar so that they are able to keep the front end down?
(this is relevant because it would serve as a reason to go with the lighter SBJD so you wouldn't have to drop the drawbar as much or at all)

I enjoy thinking about some of the reasons a builder would pick one motor or another so if anyone knows more than me, this information would be much appreciated.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 07:49AM
Puller

At one time recast blocks were required to be made with oem dimensions, bolt locations etc.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 03:40AM
TO BrandonA:I was not bragging about the placings ! I was stating what I found in the NFMS results. Hope they do better but they have a ways to go. I'm all for someone to challenge the BBJD !!!!!

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 11:48AM
BB 5.125 5.5 stroke SB 5”” bore5.75 stroke

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 03:36AM
I have heard good things about Lemkes motors. However, regardles if it big block, small block, IH block, etc, if you are building a competative ProStock motor that guys are buying, your doing something right.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 03:54AM
What is the bore size of a BBJD compared to the Lemke Motor. (Bore size & Stroke to get 674 CI ) ?

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 06:35AM
A 5.1 B and a 5.5 S = 674.13 that's what the calculator says and that would be without a deck plate, so it's all engine displacement. extremely limited knowledge here also.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 07:14AM
Deck plate does not make any difference in cubic inch. Crank and piston size is what they calculate to come up with cubic inch.

Re: Lemke small block February 24, 2023 07:42AM
But, a 1" deck plate gives a block more strength on the top end, like a girdle on top side.

Re: Lemke small block March 02, 2023 01:22AM
I have been told that a proper Deck plate can help add stroke, is that fact?

Re: Lemke small block March 02, 2023 01:46AM
Only if you don't lengthen the rods which requires you to stroke the crank to get the piston to the top. Most aren't using a deck plate for this though. Move the piston up, lengthen the rod on the same crank, and reduce the rod angles.

CP

Re: Lemke small block March 02, 2023 02:57AM
Some have vehemently deigned that longer rods are a positive thing, I have built many racing engines form small to large, longer isn't always better, but mostly true.Less piston slap, friction and more dwell.

Re: Lemke small block March 02, 2023 01:52PM
Agreed. The rod to stroke ratio on most diesels is pretty favorable from the factory. For example, the ratio for an 8.75” rod and 5” stroke is a bit longer than a 350 Chevy with 6” rods.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,804, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,958.

Our newest member CBeard