I miss Larry July 08, 2023 09:13AM
Marvin make me long for Larry. Come back Larry!!

Re: I miss Larry July 08, 2023 02:14PM
Larry isn't ALLOWED to attend GN events except Sandwich where he announces.

At Marion July 09, 2023 06:09AM
At the drivers meeting in Marion Marvin told everybody to get their sponsor stickers on or forfeit winnings and points. That names would be taken a certified letters sent out giving you 7 days to comply or be removed from NTPA competition for the year. Now here’s the problem NTPA purses are less now than they were in the 70’s. The price of pulling vehicles is about 50x greater than a regional purse and the grand national pay out isn’t drastically better. His approach was less than professional and he lacks drastically in the communication department. NTPA needs my vehicle to put on a show more than I need to put in a show to benefit NTPA. As a puller I have plenty of other options to go and compete. The NTPA and its members need to get their head out of their butts, get all new blood on the board and start acting as a players union much like other professional sports have a players union. Talking to people the way he does is unacceptable in todays business world. They either need to tighten the leash on their dog or get a new dog.

Re: At Marion July 09, 2023 08:07AM
So how hard is it to put decals on your machine? Probably the easiest work you do on it all year. The sponsor has other things he can do with his money as well. Least you can do is put a sticker on your vehicle.

Re: I miss Larry July 09, 2023 10:26AM
I can remember listening to a prostock puller who pulled OSTPA tell the tech official “ until those people pay his bills for his tractor and own his tractor it won’t have stickers on it” I couldn’t agree more…

Re: I miss Larry July 09, 2023 10:42AM
I Remember,
That being the case you should be happy to head home with none of that sponsors purse money!

S'no Farmer

Re: I miss Larry July 09, 2023 02:22PM
I remember
I can remember listening to a prostock puller who pulled OSTPA tell the tech official “ until those people pay his bills for his tractor and own his tractor it won’t have stickers on it” I couldn’t agree more…

He was/is an idiot. Every professional sport requires certain things to compete in their events. The decals of the sponsors are such a requirement. Stay home if you can't support the requirements of the entity under which you compete. Such backwards rubes sometimes.

I know July 10, 2023 09:33AM
It's been a while, but when we pulled a couple of times with ATPA, the first night was okay, but were specifically told by Jonathan from Mike Chastain, "that mini is not going down the track without our decals on it"

Re: I miss Larry July 08, 2023 04:05PM
The ntpa will not last with out LARRY no body likes the way tech is run even the official don’t like it with Larry the head dog better get his head out of his - - - and wake up

Re: I miss Larry July 09, 2023 09:21AM
If a person just wants to for the money and not the points screw the decals there’s better places than ntpa anyway ntpa puts to much money in there pockets and doesn’t care for the pullers

Re: I miss Larry July 10, 2023 05:17AM
It’s not the stickers it’s just that I am getting older and I get tired of people telling me what I have to do

Re: I miss Larry July 10, 2023 09:33AM
Old puller
It’s not the stickers it’s just that I am getting older and I get tired of people telling me what I have to do

You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do — just be prepared for possible consequences from such inaction. I get tired of the electric company telling me to give them money but I do it because I want to keep the lights on.

How’s that for a metaphor?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: I miss Larry July 10, 2023 03:11PM
So do you get mad when you teched before the pull? Or do you just light the rule book fire because that people telling you what to do? This isn't the first time this rule as been enforced and the not the only organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2023 11:37PM by mh49.

Re: I miss Larry July 09, 2023 02:47PM
So you aren’t happy that the head of rules enforcement is enforcing rules? Next week we will be back to no one is enforcing the rules.. It’s in the rule book and it’s not a new addition. Pretty sure the other major series have similar sticker rules.. it’s a sticker from a sponsor that pays for such. In a time where big sponsors are hard to really come by you choose to say screw that sponsor and their sticker. The sponsor did their part and dropped the coin so to get some of that coin you put a sticker on. Many motorsports with similar sponsor programs you don’t even see the track unless the sticker is their period ,hell I know some will charge a fine if they see a vehicle without it.

The actual prize payout is a whole other argument/subject.

Re: I miss Larry July 10, 2023 04:56AM
NTPA mini rods and Super Semi competitors have to display a banner in their pit area as well!!
The knuckle dragging tractor guys refusing to put some little stickers on their vehicle would have a REAL twist in their knickers over that one!!
How about do what some truck pullers have done for YEARS.
Make a panel out of plexiglass or aluminum, make it pin on the tractor easy.
Then have a separate panel for each association you pull with, and change them out?!?
And you can take them clear off to make yourself feel better.
Then you get your money, AND points.

Re: I miss Larry July 10, 2023 02:16PM
The rule about decals for our sponsors has been in the books as long as I can remember and I have been in numerous drivers meetings where we were told the decals need to be on and they would be checking...not something new.

We also have helped sponsor a pretty big brush pull for many years and can tell you we appreciate the mentions from the announcers...it's the reason we do it (along with helping good friends).

S'no Farmer

Re: I miss Larry July 11, 2023 03:00AM
Sounds like someone is Butt hurt over rule enforcement that’s why they have rules Marvin is just doing his job! He Checked Fuel and water on the Tractor classes at Arcola Friday night and I never heard anybody complain!

Re: I miss Larry July 11, 2023 07:47AM
Sounds to me like these tech officials can't win for losing. If they do their job, checking rigs out and making sure decals and stuff are in place, the pullers make a mountain out of a mole hill saying its their business no one else's what goes on with their truck/tractor. but if they don't do their job those same people are in their ear crying foul that someone's cheating and wanting everything to be fair. JMO

Re: I miss Larry July 11, 2023 08:30AM
Does a person that’s not a ntpa member that comes 3 or 4 times to pull and pays extra to hook does he have to have stickers

Re: I miss Larry July 11, 2023 06:04PM
Depends on if he cares about prize money, won't get points if not a member.

Re: I miss Larry July 11, 2023 03:01PM
I have talked to Mr Epperson several times in the last week & he has been very helpful & friendly. Sometimes you have to give respect before you can demand it in return.

Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 06:56AM
I think the competitor should have the option for color coordinating / black out decals along with traditional. I don't mind running them but the look awful.

BTW: gotta make sure Daddy Dave can make that Cadillac payment. Get them stickers on boys.

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 07:15AM
Washed Up Puller is 100% correct. the decals are tacky. sure, the extra money is nice, but its nothing compared to the investment already made into the pulling vehicle, rig and time away doing this silly stuff. if you want me to give you free advertising let me do it how I want to. I can remember walking around the pits and seeing some competitors having decals on vehicles but hidden behind the tire in-between the tire and fender.

Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 12, 2023 08:22AM
Prize money vs investment.

Take note, who the title sponsor is.

[golfweek.usatoday.com]

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 12, 2023 09:07AM
just looked at that pga golf tour does john deer even put any money into tractor pulling or do they look at all the free advertisement they get for free with that green paint and yellow decals on half the tractors out there pulling

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 13, 2023 01:49AM
I'm unaware of Deere Corporate putting any money into sponsoring pulling (outside of local dealers sponsoring local pulls). From the business perspective, the amount of eyes Deere reaches sponsoring a golf tournament that is watched by millions of suburban households is probably more lucrative than sponsoring pulling which reaches thousands of "generally" rural households. Of course the investment into the golf tournament is larger but I'd imagine the return on selling Deere lawnmowers to the suburban households is larger overall as well. Compared to the increased Ag sales from sponsoring pulling. They are getting more bang for their advertising money in the golf tournament vs pulling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2023 01:50AM by Stretch.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 13, 2023 02:35AM
Stretch
I'm unaware of Deere Corporate putting any money into sponsoring pulling (outside of local dealers sponsoring local pulls). From the business perspective, the amount of eyes Deere reaches sponsoring a golf tournament that is watched by millions of suburban households is probably more lucrative than sponsoring pulling which reaches thousands of "generally" rural households. Of course the investment into the golf tournament is larger but I'd imagine the return on selling Deere lawnmowers to the suburban households is larger overall as well. Compared to the increased Ag sales from sponsoring pulling. They are getting more bang for their advertising money in the golf tournament vs pulling.

Per Google, over 15,000 golf courses and around 2000, county and state fairs.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 13, 2023 11:24AM
??????

Per Google, 230 million yards to mow (homeowners) and less than 2 million farms. Thats a whole lotta Home Depot mowers that have a pretty nice margin on them versus the Ag. market. Doesnt count the turf and lawn stuff sold through dealer network.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 13, 2023 01:09PM
Bryan Lively

Per Google, 230 million yards to mow (homeowners) and less than 2 million farms. Thats a whole lotta Home Depot mowers that have a pretty nice margin on them versus the Ag. market. Doesnt count the turf and lawn stuff sold through dealer network.

As much as I’d like to see them sponsor pulling, I understand why they do not. Even if the margins aren’t great on Home Depot Deeres the sheer volume helps. I’m a Deere guy, but I definitely appreciate CaseIH for their involvement in pulling.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 13, 2023 01:52PM
They are an ITPA points fund sponsor. What amount, I have no idea. Peanuts for Mother Deere I'm sure.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 14, 2023 12:49AM
RW
They are an ITPA points fund sponsor. What amount, I have no idea. Peanuts for Mother Deere I'm sure.

Is it Deere Corporate or a local Deere Dealer that is sponsoring? Either way I’m glad to hear it.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 14, 2023 01:49AM
Most likely a dealer. The Wadsworth family that owns Tri-County JD in east MI has been a sponsor of Thumb Tractor Pulling Assoc for over 30 years both with money and a new loaner Gator every summer. If there's a pull near one of their dealerships, they send out tractors for the scrapers and packer, too. Very glad to see it.

CP

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 14, 2023 10:43AM
Looking at the old ITPA books, John Deere started sponsoring in 2009, with no dealer mentioned. In 2016 it started being listed as John Deere- Sloan Implement.

Re: Sponsorships -Pulling vs Golf. July 16, 2023 10:13AM
I can assure you, Deere doesn’t look at those green tractors going down the track as positive brand reinforcement. Based on some conversations I’ve had with Deere’s large ag marketing, they want NOTHING to do with tractor pulling. They haven’t forbid their dealers from sponsoring, but you’ll never see a big dollar Deere sponsorship in the sport.

What's tacky... July 12, 2023 08:41AM
"Tacky" decals pay the bills - and is more directly noticeable when it falls under a contingency program. It is not free advertising. Nothing in this world is free.
Goods and services are exchanged, tangible and intangible.

I sponsor classes specifically one at Tunica. Do they have to run my decal? No, but several have them anyway. Its a tangible return on investment (paying purse money) that they get for an intangible I want - to cultivate, enthusiasm and goodwill for the sport that makes me feel good. However, IF...IF I required them.to run my decal in the class I would reserve the right to defer winnings to next placing competitor if someone didn't. .

So, in my opinion, begrudging a sponsor's simple request to run place their decal on a vehicle smells as bad as a porta john on a hot August Taco Tuesday. Tacky actually isn't adequate enough word.

Some of us need to make clearer decisions about "elevating" the sport ...make sure you understand which end of that rope you're holding on to...to let the let the rope out aand watch the sport grow, or to rein it in, and hold it back.

Re: What's tacky... July 12, 2023 09:02AM
Brian Lively, you nailed it. I have sponsored multiple events and/or classes at local pulls. If I would sponsor a class and pullers freaked out over a sticker, my money would go somewhere else. People need to understand that regardless of the purse size, these sponsors are spending their money to sponsor an event/series. Now, I have seen some guys have the sponsors custom painted onto there tractors and they look awesome.

Not tacky; Outright stupid July 12, 2023 10:26AM
I heard an interview with DPS where he talked about taking over NTPA back in the 1980s. Not 100% sure, but I believe it was with the Beer Money guys a few weeks before Tomah.

If memory is correct, he recounted back in the '80s NTPA had Wrangler as a sponsor. That's a big deal for any motorsport. He said the Wrangler execs were dumbfounded when they saw track officials removing Wrangler signage from the track. He also mentioned crusty old pullers saying "I'm not going to wear those crap pants" or something similar.

Well, the Wrangler deal didn't last long because the organization, including pullers, didn't understand the importance of supporting the sponsor even if they didn't like the product. I can understand if a specific sponsor's product offends someone's morals (extreme fictional example- a fictional pull in Nevada sponsored by a house of ill-repute even if legal in that state). However, these were just denim jeans. Call it stubborn or stupid (stubbornness can be a form of stupidity).

Some deals like the NTPA Copenhagen Skoal deal may have been undone by government fiat. Most deals, if they're good for the sponsor, will probably be renewed. If the sponsor doesn't feel like they're getting value, or support from the organization, they will bail. I bet Wrangler gets value from rodeos.

Btw, I'd suggest going to an NHRA race and walking through the Sportsman pits. Look at how many contingency stickers are on a Stock or Super Comp car.

Re: Not tacky; Outright stupid July 13, 2023 02:56AM
There's a double edged sword here. On one hand the sponsors that the sport does have should be celebrated via announcers, flags, signs, stickers on the pulling vehicles. On the other hand, these pullers don't seem to benefit from the sponsors as the purses at these pulls aren't enough to pay for the diesel in their toter to get to the pull. Which begs the questions who benefits from these sponsorships if not the pullers?

I think there's something to be said about both sides of the argument here. Trashing guys who refuse to put the stickers on is failing to recognize a valid argument. But failing to see how the stickers on the vehicles benefits the sport is equally as stupid.

I think the sport of tractor pulling has some great sponsors already, it could certainly stand to draw in some bigger names. But the thing I think needs resolved is how can new sponsorship benefit the pullers because the purse at most pulls is laughable these days, so sponsorship hasn't done a whole lot to help the guys who make the sport (the pullers).

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 10:30AM
Washed Up Puller
I think the competitor should have the option for color coordinating / black out decals along with traditional. I don't mind running them but the look awful.

BTW: gotta make sure Daddy Dave can make that Cadillac payment. Get them stickers on boys.

Totally disagree with changing the sponsors colors. That's more disrespectful than not putting them on.

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 10:45AM
toocool4school
Totally disagree with changing the sponsors colors. That's more disrespectful than not putting them on.

Do you care to expand upon that? The sponsor’s name and logo is still getting out there. If there’s a John Deere logo that’s in white, silver, or grey, you’re still getting that brand recognition. I have seen several examples of such “color matching” and I actually think it makes the sport look more professional.

John Murray

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 11:18AM
John Murray

Do you care to expand upon that? The sponsor’s name and logo is still getting out there. If there’s a John Deere logo that’s in white, silver, or grey, you’re still getting that brand recognition. I have seen several examples of such “color matching” and I actually think it makes the sport look more professional.

Every October everything changes to pink for a month. We just got done having to see every liberal company have rainbow colors on their logos. Thankfully, no rainbow virtue signalimg in pulling yet.

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 12:47PM
Sometimes it’s PC not to respond about letters. I always enjoyed my conversations with Larry he would me run but fix it before next time. There were a few times he told Marvin to handle it and he would let me run but fix it before next time.

Re: Tacky Decals July 12, 2023 01:18PM
The Original Michael
Every October everything changes to pink for a month. We just got done having to see every liberal company have rainbow colors on their logos. Thankfully, no rainbow virtue signalimg in pulling yet.

I guess I should have been more clear -- I'm talking about pullers using neutral colors like this or this. I'm genuinely curious how this is more disrespectful to sponsors than not having anything on there at all. But I guess it's just easier to click the thumbs down than to explain a view point. I wasn't trying to be argumentative -- just trying to have a discussion.

To your post, TOM: I don't see pullers that go this route changing this logo color scheme just for Breast Cancer Awareness month or Pride month. That just seems like a slippery slope-type of argument.

John Murray

Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Tacky Decals July 13, 2023 09:29AM
John, when I was in the corporate world, colors were very important. The colors we used were a particular blue and white and they had to match their particular color spectrum number. If colors temporarily change, it's normally to benefit a particular advertising campaign associated with the change. Just look at Coca Cola, Pepsi, Budweiser, Mc Donalds, KFC, Little Ceasars....the list is endless. Heck, even college and pro sports have "colors". And as above, take a look at drag cars, circle track cars, even horse racing. My pet peeve with decal placement is the NTPA registration number......to be placed on the left front of the vehicle--not on the firewall, rear fender, inside the vehicle, etc.

Re: Tacky Decals July 13, 2023 12:45AM
John Murray

Brand recognition is generally associated with their colors. Example would be changing the CaseIH stickers on the Grand national circuit to green and yellow..........

Re: Tacky Decals July 13, 2023 04:36PM
Company’s spend an incredible amount of money on marketing research and design to pick just the colors that represent their company. To put all decals the same color to blend with the tractor paint scheme does diminish that, quite a bit. However, I do hate all the stickers on the tractors, but if you want the sponsorship money…

Re: Tacky Decals July 14, 2023 10:29AM

Re: Tacky Decals August 08, 2023 02:04PM
We have sponsors on our vehicle and wouldn’t change the logo- the logo is what identifies the company and the logo customers see. You’d be better off telling your sponsor to save their money and invest it elsewhere if you’re gonna change their logo.

TAKE LARRY BACK PLEASE August 27, 2023 05:19AM
Will stay home next time before I suffer through another of his announcing gigs.

Re: TAKE LARRY BACK PLEASE August 27, 2023 07:51AM
There must be a reason he gets paid to go to Florida to two different pulls to announce.
He didn't have any problem filling his summer with announcing gigs.
Lots of folks like his announcing.
Hint, you will NOT be missed.

Re: PLEASE Do NOT Hire Larry as Announcer!!!! August 27, 2023 08:37AM
I have heard him on a number of occasions announce pulls. I wished he’d use his history and knowledge way more about the pullers and their vehicles than just the “woo-hoo’s” and side banter where he’s talking to someone beside him. I think that’s a waste of knowledge that could be used IMO.

Re: TAKE LARRY BACK PLEASE August 27, 2023 09:03AM
No weekender fan
Will stay home next time before I suffer through another of his announcing gigs.
Who's announcing gig?

Re: TAKE LARRY BACK PLEASE August 28, 2023 06:10AM
The part I really enjoy the most is where he makes fun of someone showing up late or their name . Now that's entertainment folks!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,629, Posts: 229,692, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,900.

Our newest member JD_8520