Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 05:37AM
How many Lt. PS have gone component?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 06:57AM
There aren't any out at the moment but in terms of ones that are for sure switching it's about 5-8

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 07:47AM
Are they now legal ??

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 08:14AM
Curious
Are they now legal ??

PPL Silver Series - they are legal.
NTPA they are not

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 07:48AM
I saw another ag chassis went down this week due to something in the driveline. There have been several disconnects this season. I hope the NTPA can find a way to let components and ag chassis to run together. Any brand other than IH is having problems. 3000 HP through cast iron is too much. It would save the class. Too many pullers sitting because of this problem.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 08:45AM
That's odd. There are and have been non-component Prostocks and Superstocks that have drivelines that hold more power...

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 01:01PM
Name one?

Re: Component Lt. PS July 29, 2023 08:59PM
Up until the end of '22, Buck Eater Pro was not a component. There's certainly benn others since components became a thing.

CP

Re: Component Lt. PS July 30, 2023 12:04AM
Cpr bucky was a cast rear end, but rear end only it was one of the grandfathered tractor's with a milled off rear end housing only. But regardless that was a big block rear end not a 4010 or 4430. The issue is right now is every group of light pros is wanting to do different things to "save the class" that meets the needs or wants of a select few instead of the greater of the group. I understand components are not the direction some want to go as they have built very competitive and strong against chassis, however as said above the guys without red ones don't have near the option as parts go and are looking elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to build them just asking them to allow them to be intermingled. How many years did we see it, and still do at time in dss and pro stock? This was no overnight process. I personally hope to see ntpa allow them in time to give guys the option to run both organizations.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 30, 2023 12:14AM
I am not against the component chassis, rather the rule that comes along with it. The " any sheet metal any engine" rule. Strike that out and I'm ok with components. And you are right, the OEM chassis has a weight break of 300 lbs I believe

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2023 12:18AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 30, 2023 04:57AM
Well, Dick, with that, about all you will see is a very predominant red IH (square boxy 66) class with some green JD and just about close to nothing of any other tractor brand.
At least with the cross dressing sheet metal rule, we do get to see some other brands, which is good.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 12:51AM
Throwing a Massey, Oliver, Ford, Allis, Moline, Fendt or whatever hood on a tractor with a big block John Deere or 400 series IH under it doesn't magical make it another brand being represented.... the any sheet metal/any engine block rule is silly because at the end the day it's still really red vs green power

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 01:39AM
That is true that the predominant brands are certainly shared between red and green, so to allow any hood on a JDBB disguised as anything other than a John Deere is not fooling anyone. By allowing cross dressing you have diminished the effort that puller/builders put in getting an "off" brand to compete. The NTPA is responsible for taking away the brand loyalty that was the backbone of the hooded tractor classes. The rule has not grown those classes in any way.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 07:42AM
So could someone buy a JD pro stock and put Lamborghini hood on it? What a joke.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 06, 2023 03:12PM
Why is cross dressing / brand loyalty a problem in the tractor classes, but not the truck classes?

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 01:11AM
need more color
Well, Dick, with that, about all you will see is a very predominant red IH (square boxy 66) class with some green JD and just about close to nothing of any other tractor brand.
At least with the cross dressing sheet metal rule, we do get to see some other brands, which is good.

This argument baffles me. Drive down any country road during plant/harvest time and you'll see predominantly JD and Case IH tractors. So why wouldn't pulling look the same way? Here in Northwest Ohio you have to search hard to find guys farming with something other than the Big 2. So I'd assume pulling would look similar to what you see in the field.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 07:57AM
Remember, we are talking about Lt. Pro here with a 540 CID limit that makes it easier for something other than IH and Deere to be competitive. I think the Blue teams out of Pennsylvania would have something to say about not being competitive and there is a V8 Massey in Ohio that can run with anyone. I think it is only a matter of time till somebody comes out with 505 Cummins; and hopefully we will see more true CASEs and maybe even a SISU block in the class. With the smaller cube limit, there is no need for any block/any sheet metal in Lt. Pro regardless if it is component or not.

Blue ones have an unfair variance over everyone else July 31, 2023 01:02PM
They are allowed to run billet blocks that no one else in the class has been given and I’m pretty sure billet heads too. So it’s a matter of time before PPL allows everyone in the class the same thing or it will be Meese 2.0 where only one team gets and it drives everybody else away.

Re: Blue ones have an unfair variance over everyone else August 01, 2023 11:47AM
What advantage? Read pages 26 and 31 of the rule book.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 01, 2023 12:21PM
I have a question for pulling in general. Is it better to worry about brand loyalty and cause lots of money to be spent to prove what? Look at NASCAR. Toyota, Ford and Chevy all run a race motor only made for racing. There is nothing factory about them, but the fans look at the sheet metal and identify with that. When I go to big pulls everyone likes to see different sheet metal and cheer for the one they like, no different than NASCAR. Now with that said I'm an older fan and like the motor to match the paint but I can see how this is killing the sport. Anything with over 1500 hp should have the option for component and mandatory over 2500 hp.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 01, 2023 12:31PM
NASCAR is taking seats out, not in. The sport is in decline and having one style body ( brand loyalty) is one aspect that is part of the problems. Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge was one of the main attractions.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component Lt. PS August 01, 2023 02:33PM
I'm sure they are in decline, just look at the economics of our country now. Look at this from a different angle. Why not expand the horizon and give the fans some variety in tractors. All they see from the seats is sheet metal. I know this sport was started with dire hearted loyal machinery people, but with the technology today and the costs, you will go broke trying to give it some color when this stock off color tractor was 100 plus hp and has since been merged into a big company. I like the off color tractors and still like the sheet metal to match but I would change stance to keep this sport going and get new fans. Lets look at the ps class. I'm not sure about the deeres but the only thing stock on an IH is the idler gear and maybe the crank gear (most likely reproduction). You can sit in the stands and enjoy the power but watching 95% of the tractors being green, it gets not so fun. People pay attention when different sheet metal backs into the sled. just my 2 cents.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 02, 2023 12:28AM
The decline of NASCAR started before the decline of the economy. The decline started with the car of tomorrow and the lack of brand loyalty. The decline started when the economy was doing great. People are brand loyal. Most EVERYONE I know that has a pickup truck will tell you why their brand is better than the other brand. I know guys that would never drive another brand... I know guys that will make excuses for failures like the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 and remain brand loyal... or the fact that a Dodge/Ram will rot/rust out in approximately 10 minutes of winter driving and so will the bed on a Chevy/GMC. Pretending like tractor fans and owners aren't brand loyal is just naïve. They are probably MORE brand loyal overall.

Letting men play womens sports doesn't make the sport more diverse... letting other colors run BBJD or aftermarket IH blocks doesn't make the sport more diverse... it actually makes it MORE cookie cutter.

If hoods matching the block doesn't matter,,, why bother even running a hood?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 05:36AM
Martins had a pair of non-component pros that ran every bit as good as their pair of component pros. Profab and SCS gear boxes and parts have been stuffed inside of all types of housings.

I like components... but be honest about why you want them. Simply pretending like you can't hold the power of a Light pro without a component chassis isn't entirely true.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 01:44AM
Isn't one of the Tool Time Pro stocks out of Baraboo an ag chassis and one of Gansmers Ruttin Deere's super stock?

What kind of power does the Outlaws light super class run? Aren't they ag chassis only? Ulmers sure run hard with there's and don't break to often.

The average fan buying tickets, food, and drinks watching in the stands could care less what the engine is. It's about putting on a show to raise money for the promoter most of whom are deserving non profits that give back to the community. I agree it would be nice if the other brands had set ups that could compete but our crazy rule making process rules them out. Watching the same style sheet metal every hook gets boring.

Re: Component Lt. PS July 31, 2023 06:56AM
Badgerfan
Isn't one of the Tool Time Pro stocks out of Baraboo an ag chassis and one of Gansmers Ruttin Deere's super stock?

What kind of power does the Outlaws light super class run? Aren't they ag chassis only? Ulmers sure run hard with there's and don't break to often.

The average fan buying tickets, food, and drinks watching in the stands could care less what the engine is. It's about putting on a show to raise money for the promoter most of whom are deserving non profits that give back to the community. I agree it would be nice if the other brands had set ups that could compete but our crazy rule making process rules them out. Watching the same style sheet metal every hook gets boring.
If it don’t matter what’s under the hood then why did the announcer quit advertising it. Not sure what fans you’re talking to but whenever I enlighten someone that their favorite AC or JD just won with an IH engine in it, they weren’t impressed to say the least. Contrary to what the beer money crew keep preaching it does indeed matter and pulling fans are probably some of the most brand loyal and knowledgeable fans out there. The sport has always been dominated by red and green and most likely always will.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 06, 2023 01:00AM
There have been so many rearend/transmission failures in this class this year I’m starting to lose count.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 06, 2023 01:10AM
Correct there have been many transmission and rear end failures this year. Any way you shape it the issue in this class is the power is beyond what the chassis can handle. The region 2 guys have had a meeting the allegedly made the new rules for the class which caps the turbo to 5" and locks in the rules for 3 years. Do the other regions get to have this same meeting? Are we going to have multiple sets of rules for the class? Some may not agree with ppls component ruling but this class is in trouble the numbers are not great across the board because guys cannot keep them together. If you want numbers then why not allow the components in ntpa competition? No one is forcing you to build one, many years of pullers in other classes have testified there is no advantage other then movable weight, hence the weight difference. In a class struggling with numbers why wouldn't you want every tractor possible? I just can't understand the fear of a chassis chang

Re: Component Lt. PS August 06, 2023 02:41PM
Ppl western series voted in a 5 inch turbo limit last fall. We thought it was a way to keep the class from getting out of hand as turbos are jumping in size every year. Pretty sure we have enough votes to get components in as well. May have 4 on the track next year just in our small class.

Re: Component Lt. PS August 08, 2023 01:57PM
I agree. Something has to be done or the class is going to fail out in numbers.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520